• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Y'all really gonna let two minecraft miis change y'all's attitude and think it's over?
That's not really what i was implying. I'm not referring to the Minecraft Miis, they didn't really cross my mind. It's about the argument we've had to deal with that because Rabbids and Altair got costumes that Rayman is deconfirmed.

And yes the argument is bogus.

Edit: I'm saying Rabbids had Spirits (more than Ray) in the base game and yet they got a costume first despite Rayman being by far the more popular request, and having only a single Spirit could be used as a decent excuse for a strong Spirit Board. More Rayman content WILL come, whether that's Spirits, Mii or character is yet to be known.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
That's not really what i was implying. I'm not referring to the Minecraft Miis, they didn't really cross my mind. It's about the argument we've had to deal with that because Rabbids and Altair got costumes that Rayman is deconfirmed.

And yes the argument is bogus.

Edit: I'm saying Rabbids had Spirits (more than Ray) in the base game and yet they got a costume first despite Rayman being by far the more popular request, and having only a single Spirit could be used as a decent excuse for a strong Spirit Board. More Rayman content WILL come, whether that's Spirits, Mii or character is yet to be known.
That's fair, I just don't think we should be calling it defeat quite yet.

And to be fair you could argue the base game rabbid spirits are Mario Characters since it's the Mario versions of them so idk how that works or if they had to get extra rights for them or if Nintendo owns them. Rayman is basically the first pure ubisoft representation in ultimate, and the only in smash 4. I think the dev team knows he's the higher request

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'm still optimistic in Ray. I'm not throwing in the towel until "Super Smash Bros Ultime x Rayman" shows up in a Mii fighter showcase. Even though a lot of my friends think otherwise... it's rough... but I don't let that ruin my optimism. I guess that post I made earlier was more of a vent.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
https://www.globalsmashroster.com/
Behold! Another poll website!
Ray is actually doing well at the moment, so let's vote for him (& whoever else you see fit) to keep the plum rolling.
Honestly, this poll doesn't look too serious to me. A "Boo..." function? I feel like that's gonna attract some trolls.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Gonna get the thread moving. What do you guys want for a stage? Band Land gets thrown around a lot but honestly I would prefer something more general. Rayman is really lacking on consistent locations, so I'll bring up the Snoring Tree / Jibberish Jungle

download (3).jpeg

4e47ac9baa0639747d96e001cb9a1873983f4a2b5aff4873c684574820f1b71c_product_card_v2_mobile_slider...jpg

It's literally Rayman's home and appeared in Origins and Legends already, so I think it's a decent guess. Doesn't seem that interesting at first glance but I find it an easy location to also include cameos that don't seem too jarring like Bubble Dreamer, Betilla, Ly, Murphy, Globox, Barbara and the Teensies.

To spice things up, the stage's hazard would be invasions by a few of Rayman's enemies every so often:
  • Sky goes cloudy and it starts to rain. The Robo Pirates fly in with one of their ships and start raining fire on the stage.
  • Rabbids will pop out of the ground. The Rabbids can be picked up and thrown at others, and they will latch onto whoever they are thrown at as they beat them up with a plunger.
  • Stage turns into night time and Mr. Dark shows up in the middle of the stage. He will perform a random spell in reference to Rayman 1. Reversed controls, forced running, or rain lightning which just turns the players small if they get hit.
  • I got nothing creative for Andre, sorry, but I'd put him there somehow.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Gonna get the thread moving. What do you guys want for a stage? Band Land gets thrown around a lot but honestly I would prefer something more general. Rayman is really lacking on consistent locations, so I'll bring up the Snoring Tree / Jibberish Jungle

View attachment 288806

View attachment 288805

It's literally Rayman's home and appeared in Origins and Legends already, so I think it's a decent guess. Doesn't seem that interesting at first glance but I find it an easy location to also include cameos that don't seem too jarring like Bubble Dreamer, Betilla, Ly, Murphy, Globox, Barbara and the Teensies.

To spice things up, the stage's hazard would be invasions by a few of Rayman's enemies every so often:
  • Sky goes cloudy and it starts to rain. The Robo Pirates fly in with one of their ships and start raining fire on the stage.
  • Rabbids will pop out of the ground. The Rabbids can be picked up and thrown at others, and they will latch onto whoever they are thrown at as they beat them up with a plunger.
  • Stage turns into night time and Mr. Dark shows up in the middle of the stage. He will perform a random spell in reference to Rayman 1. Reversed controls, forced running, or rain lightning which just turns the players small if they get hit.
  • I got nothing creative for Andre, sorry, but I'd put him there somehow.
Damn you've convinced me that gibberish jungle would be dope! I'd love the snoring tree as well.

I'll admit I'm biased for band land as well since it would make for a unique stage like nothing ever seen in smash yet.

I also like the idea of making Kung Foot into a unique stage with the scoring and everything in tact. Would definitely stand out!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Damn you've convinced me that gibberish jungle would be dope! I'd love the snoring tree as well.

I'll admit I'm biased for band land as well since it would make for a unique stage like nothing ever seen in smash yet.

I also like the idea of making Kung Foot into a unique stage with the scoring and everything in tact. Would definitely stand out!
Lord. I didn't consider Kung Foot, now that'd be interesting. Would probably be tricky to balance considering the base Smash gameplay should be left intact, and the original not really accounting for everyone getting blasted around. Do you think goal scoring should grant points towards the end result of the match or just grant a power-up to the person who scores (saying this cause scoring granting stocks sounds kinda nasty)?

Regardless even if it was Kung Foot it should be cameo heavy. A cheering crowd sounds easy enough to incoorporate all the fan favorites!

ZetaXO

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4787-7862-7678
Btw, a model not having limbs and not taking advantage of it shouldn't alarm anyone.
I'm repeating myself, but that's just how models work!
Kinda like the nymphs forgot the lums for Rayman's limbs, a 3D model not having them
is because they either didn't care enough about it, or didn't add polygons to those parts.
It's nothing more than that!
And since Minecraft models are really basic, they fall into case 1.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Pretty much. the skeleton is still there, they just didn't model those areas, it's not rocket science, but a lot of people will still think of it as a nail in the coffin.

People out there still unironically thinking Brawlhalla deconfirms him like 2 years later LOL

On a more positive note, I did some thinking about Ubisoft's silence and not even giving Rayman birthday messages. It might be a stretch but hear me out on this theory I formulated. What if they're waiting for a Smash reveal as an oportunity to promote Rayman to full capacity. First you had Ubisoft not shutting up about wanting Rayman in until earlier this year with the bot and Twitter and all that and some interesting trademarks and the survey with the removed question then... nothing... like at all...

Sound familiar? Suda51 and Travis (at least just the silence part). Suda being very open to having Travis in the game and insisted to Sakurai on it, and all this for years, then like a month ago all he has to say about Travis in Smash is "no comment" and now Travis is in Smash... as a costume, granted, but the possible NDA would apply either way.

So what if Ubisoft just doesn't want to bring up Rayman at all, but like, on purpose? They can still make Rayman stuff while he's being worked on in Smash but what if they just wanted for Smash to be the start of something special? He's fresh in people's minds from being playable in the biggest crossover ever, and that's the right time to start revealing new Rayman content, it's kind of genius... like, it sucks for us at this moment but if we put that in retrospect after it happened it'd make a lot of sense.

With this theory in mind I think the best pass placement for Rayman would be either CP8 or CP9, so soon as possible so Ubisoft can start unveiling.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much. the skeleton is still there, they just didn't model those areas, it's not rocket science, but a lot of people will still think of it as a nail in the coffin.

People out there still unironically thinking Brawlhalla deconfirms him like 2 years later LOL

On a more positive note, I did some thinking about Ubisoft's silence and not even giving Rayman birthday messages. It might be a stretch but hear me out on this theory I formulated. What if they're waiting for a Smash reveal as an oportunity to promote Rayman to full capacity. First you had Ubisoft not shutting up about wanting Rayman in until earlier this year with the bot and Twitter and all that and some interesting trademarks and the survey with the removed question then... nothing... like at all...

Sound familiar? Suda51 and Travis (at least just the silence part). Suda being very open to having Travis in the game and insisted to Sakurai on it, and all this for years, then like a month ago all he has to say about Travis in Smash is "no comment" and now Travis is in Smash... as a costume, granted, but the possible NDA would apply either way.

So what if Ubisoft just doesn't want to bring up Rayman at all, but like, on purpose? They can still make Rayman stuff while he's being worked on in Smash but what if they just wanted for Smash to be the start of something special? He's fresh in people's minds from being playable in the biggest crossover ever, and that's the right time to start revealing new Rayman content, it's kind of genius... like, it sucks for us at this moment but if we put that in retrospect after it happened it'd make a lot of sense.

With this theory in mind I think the best pass placement for Rayman would be either CP8 or CP9, so soon as possible so Ubisoft can start unveiling.
I do feel like that’s the case, and also to follow up with that, Ubisoft’s Mii Costume deal would not be fully possible without the conversation of a Playable DLC Character per Nintendo’s Request of Rayman. As evident with all past collaborations done by Nintendo with other 3rd-Party Companies involved
33F4730C-3F94-4981-B915-5498B63CC4C1.jpeg

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

let's hope this theory(if true) leads to Rayman being playable and not receiving a Mii Costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

People selectively ignoring characters that can show up in two fighting games as a guest is nothing new. :ult_terry:

In a way, Travis' deconfirmation (pretty sure it won't be a "ah ha he's actually playable" troll move, Sak isn't that kind of troll, the only Mii costume he openly brought up was Rex's) did us a favor. Even if the only thing Rayman gets in the next year is a playable appearance in Smash in some capacity, it would make sense for Ubi to respect a NDA.

Just gotta be patient and see how everything unfolds. Still don't know if or when a third FP2 announcement will crop up before year's end. :chrono:

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Y'all gotta remember naysayers who hate a character will stick to their arguements whether its true or not. People still try to insist his demand hasn't gone up despite all the evidence proving otherwise. We just gotta keep on growing in nunberw and eventually our voices will be heard! Still hoping we get our time on this pass!

Also I know this wouldn't happen with DLC but if Rayman ever brought a boss battle with him to smash, who would you want to fight from his series?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Y'all gotta remember naysayers who hate a character will stick to their arguements whether its true or not. People still try to insist his demand hasn't gone up despite all the evidence proving otherwise. We just gotta keep on growing in nunberw and eventually our voices will be heard! Still hoping we get our time on this pass!

Also I know this wouldn't happen with DLC but if Rayman ever brought a boss battle with him to smash, who would you want to fight from his series?
Mr. Dark. Which would be ironic, seeing as that canonically doesn't happen except in the GBC Rayman.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Reflux cause he's the best boss in the series don't @ me

Edit: on the subject of naysayers I'm on the opinion that the only decent argument against Rayman is his lack of Japanese popularity but to be fair, that's also the one argument I want to see BTFO so people are free to speculate whoever they want.

For now I'll just keep being amused at people using the lamer arguments

Last edited:

TangyKeys

Smash Cadet
So, I was going through tweets about Banjo-Kazooie facts, when I stumbled upon a GamesIndustry article about the revival of Rare's classic IP, I mostly skimmed through it, but this caught my eye:

"We had an initial kick off call with Sakurai-san and some of his team. There was myself, Gregg Mayles... who is the father of Banjo, even though he hates it when we call him that. Andrew Wensley, who runs our business team. And a chap called Paul Cunningham, who runs our partnerships. Those people had a conversation, [Nintendo] talked through what their approach would be, and then that process started.

"And then a year goes by of sharing animatics and ideas and character concepts. It was a back-and-forth. We ended up with something that was really great. But the execution came from the Smash team."
"And then a year goes by of sharing animatics and ideas and character concepts. It was a back-and-forth. We ended up with something that was really great. But the execution came from the Smash team."
I may be stretching and this is just all tinfoil hat theory, but what if those posts from Ubisoft's social media accounts were concept art sent to Nintendo for Smash? That's why that "Clue: It's not a new game" comment came up. Between this, and other evidence, something going on...

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
So, I was going through tweets about Banjo-Kazooie facts, when I stumbled upon a GamesIndustry article about the revival of Rare's classic IP, I mostly skimmed through it, but this caught my eye:

I may be stretching and this is just all tinfoil hat theory, but what if those posts from Ubisoft's social media accounts were concept art sent to Nintendo for Smash? That's why that "Clue: It's not a new game" comment came up. Between this, and other evidence, something going on...
Bruh.... That's actually a good theory 0_0

I mean it could be an art book or something, but at the same time it was pretty fishy how they acted.

Does anyone know if they were showing off art of just rayman 2 or other Rayman games as well?

(Can't find the old post)

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hypothetically speaking, would a hint like that break NDA? Asking cause I'm not sure myself. It's just concept art without any evidence that it's for Smash, sure, but I'm just wondering.

Also another possibility is the supposed Rayman cartoon, it's been like a year now since we heard about that.

Edit:
was it these ones?
http://instagr.am/p/CB5WRdel5vJ/ http://instagr.am/p/CCbFeVjl9dw/
To give credence to the theory, why would they even be looking over their archive of old concept art? If it was for a new game they would just make brand new art, right? Them just pulling stuff out to hand to Sakurai so he can use as reference would make sense in theory.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Actually on this point, I'd go further and point out the Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Rayman trophy. Ubisoft themselves sent the Smash team the render. Sure, it was used for a trophy, but still... a pretty good trophy (useful for developing an actual fighter model).

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Hypothetically speaking, would a hint like that break NDA? Asking cause I'm not sure myself. It's just concept art without any evidence that it's for Smash, sure, but I'm just wondering.

Also another possibility is the supposed Rayman cartoon, it's been like a year now since we heard about that.

Edit:
was it these ones?
To give credence to the theory, why would they even be looking over their archive of old concept art? If it was for a new game they would just make brand new art, right? Them just pulling stuff out to hand to Sakurai so he can use as reference would make sense in theory.
I don't think it would break NDA since it doesn't exactly say or hint at what it is besides something Rayman related, though they did have to downplay it right away so maybe it did?
Actually on this point, I'd go further and point out the Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Rayman trophy. Ubisoft themselves sent the Smash team the render. Sure, it was used for a trophy, but still... a pretty good trophy (useful for developing an actual fighter model).
That's another good point. Maybe they're also sending environmental concept arts as well so Sakurai can put together a stage for Rayman? Hmmmmm

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Edit:
was it these ones?
Well, if they don't say it's for Smash, then I think it wouldn't be breaking NDA. Could be interpreted as a simple trip down memory lane or teasing a collection of some sort.

Also, for the last time, the cartoon is only "inspired" by Rayman, meaning that the tone/art would be wacky like the recent Rayman games and otherwise just use new characters (not the Rabbids, for once).

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
No need to be passive aggressive about it. The word "inspired" doesn't necessarily mean it takes inspiration and makes something brand new, it's also synonymous with "based". Like the Sonic movie is inspired by the Sonic game series. I understand what you're trying to say, that it might not feature Rayman, but then why bring him up like at all? It's too early to tell either way.

Regardless even if it's a brand new thing, it doesn't discredit the possibility of old concept art being used for the "inspired" project.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No need to be passive aggressive about it. The word "inspired" doesn't necessarily mean it takes inspiration and makes something brand new, it's also synonymous with "based". Like the Sonic movie is inspired by the Sonic game series. I understand what you're trying to say, that it might not feature Rayman, but then why bring him up like at all? It's too early to tell either way.

Regardless even if it's a brand new thing, it doesn't discredit the possibility of old concept art being used for the "inspired" project.
I get what you're saying. With Ubi's behavior in recent years, I'm just not expecting them to give Rayman much beyond lip service. 🤷‍♂️

At any rate, it'll be a long wait before we know if any of this means anything. Possibly most of next year, if the next Ubi Forward doesn't give any breadcrumbs still.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
This actually is not as far fetched as it sounds as past Collaborations have occurred with Past 3rd-Party IP’s like

• Hideo Kojima was involved in wanting and getting Solid Snake & The Metal Gear series inputted into Super Smash Bros Brawl
  • Capcom gave inputs for Mega Man’s inclusion and were very pleased with how Sakurai designed the Character.
  • Namco aswell loved the Design of PAC-MAN as they were involved with the characters concept.
  • Square Enix were very strict and involved on the Content they wanted with both Final Fantasy 7 & Dragon Quest in exchange for Sakurai and co. on letting them implement Cloud & Hero
  • Konami’s entire 5-Years of scrutiny Before Ultimate’s reveal caused a Giant decrease in interests and as a result had to reshuffle their business motto. So because of that they went ahead and accepted Sakurai’s & Nintendo’s offer of letting them re-use Snake/Metal Gear series and aswell with The Belmont’s/Castlevania series just to get Good faith with public once again.
  • Atlus definitely had a Hand in the making of the Persona content as is clear with the faithfulness of Joker’s design and the use of Persona 1, 3, 4 & 5 content they loaned to Sakurai.
  • Microsoft has been involved as stated above with Rare’s Banjo-Kazooie as both Companies and Sakurai definitely were making the Banjo-Kazooie IP completely faithful from the Original N64 incarnations
  • SNK clearly was extremely involved with the Content they gave to Sakurai from Terry to the Stage & the 50-SNK Music Tracks
  • Microsoft’s Mojang has stated that the Minecraft inclusion was in development for 5-Years as it was about picking the right opportunity for DLC and that goes to show that many collaborations like Ubisoft with Rayman can easily be on top tier priority for Smash Ultimate DLC

So with all those examples laid out, those Sketches of the Rayman 2 Head and these locations are definitely not a Rayman stand alone game related, nor is it related to that Cartoon show as it’s been mentioned above it’s a “World based from the Rayman series” along with that Ubisoft Montpellier is NOT a TV Production Studio. So the only thing that is clear about this is that it definitely is Something Huge with these sketches as it’s from the Rayman Game series Studio, if you’re gonna ask me if it’s for Smash Bros Ultimate, my answer is simply… Let’s find out

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Now, I'm into the theory and everything but I still think y'all jumping to pesimistic conclusions about the TV series with what little information we have anyway.

I reiterate that Ubisoft wouldn't even mention their own IP in the same sentence as cartoon if they weren't going to do anything with the world and instead make a brand new one, unless they're being dickheads. That's like if Nintendo announced they were making a series based on F-Zero but then the thing came out and had nothing to do with F-Zero, or if it WAS a brand new thing and featured the cars and everything then fans would complain that why wasn't it just F-Zero in the first place cause they're essentially the same thing.

At worst it'd be like the Castlevania series where it's inspired by the Castlevania games but has a brand new cast and all but that at its core it's still Castlevania.

Again, this has nothing to do with the theory, the theory is big brain and awesome, but I think you guys are reading into a single short sentence way to much...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Me it's the opposite, I don't really think about it as long as we don't hear a concrete peep from them.

Though at least the fact that they actually did something with their older games (PoP remaster and Scott Pilgrim) is a start. Like T TAnimal said Ubi will possibly reshift their priorities like Konami did (besides saying so on Twitter).

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Alright... so... now all we gotta do is find them saying it's not for a cartoon, then we go into panic mode.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
  • Ubisoft, after years of trying to drum up support for Rayman's inclusion in Smash to the point of sending a Rayman model to Ubisoft, suddenly shuts up in every department possible and goes radio silent on Smash Bros
  • Ubisoft Montpellier Studio starts sharing Rayman concept art on social media, no indication of why they're looking at old concept art if they're not actually working on a Rayman game
  • Trademark updated this year
  • No Rayman Mii Costume with the Altair and Rabbids bundle, even though Creeper and Pig shows that limbless Mii costumes are perfectly possible
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.jpg

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
20201014_194008.png

So last image I'll share but going over things, it's Rayman related based on the art they've shown in the original post, but they don't have anything to announce or that they're working that's Rayman based. This does reinforce that it could be references for something Rayman related but from someone else.

• Merch?
  • Maybe appearing in another Ubisoft project? (Mario Rabbids 2?)
  • Smash?
  • The cartoon? (If it's actually about Rayman?)

Makes ya wonder.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Theory time:
- Sakurai asked Ubisoft for stage suggestions for Rayman
- Ubisoft: "pfff, I dunno, here, pick yourself lol"

Edit: Ok I thought about it for a second, why would they be all like "Hint: it's not a game. Hint: it's not an art book" and then be like "actually uhhhhh, it's nothing, go away"

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
My friend pointed out that the original post that got taken down also had some Tonic Trouble art, so we also gotta keep in mind that this could be anything.

Even if it ends up being an art expo though, we still got some good things going for Rayman like the Ubisoft Survey and the Ubisoft Sam Bot!

Top Bottom