• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate us, please

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've been looking for a low-tier character to pick up, and G&W seems to be the one that works best for me. My friend and I had some G&W vs. Marth matches, and I was wondering if you could tell me what we could work on (mainly me though :laugh:). These matches are from 13 recorded matches that we had; the rest are Marth dittos and one Roy (me) vs. Marth.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyGkxxFRYI

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2avqOq1Pks

Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMKkVMpn60

Match 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMcF97RoBY

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
First video, your friend needs to work on ledgeguarding you and mixing up some of his game with Counter, and you should use some more tilts, especially the D-tilt. Marth is lightweight, if not to the extreme extent as of G&W, so the D-tilt can sometimes get some really nice vertikills on Marth. There are times where I thought the D-tilt would work better than a grab. When you do grab, I don't recommend throwing backwards though, since Mr. G&W's back aerial isn't usually a very ideal attack because of low knockback and inability to L-cancel. Other things I would do after throwing is the N-air and judgement. You're both fairly good though, so keep up the good work!

Second match was considerably more interesting IMO. Not much I really can say here. Nice B-air to N-air combo! Your friend has other options besides D-tilt spamming to ledgeguard though. And wall teching might help a bit in such situations. Oh yeah, and your friend could still stand to mix things up with Counter. =P

Dunno yet about the third and fourth videos. Maybe I'll get to them. Maybe later.

metroid1117

Smash Master
First video, your friend needs to work on ledgeguarding you and mixing up some of his game with Counter, and you should use some more tilts, especially the D-tilt. Marth is lightweight, if not to the extreme extent as of G&W, so the D-tilt can sometimes get some really nice vertikills on Marth. There are times where I thought the D-tilt would work better than a grab. When you do grab, I don't recommend throwing backwards though, since Mr. G&W's back aerial isn't usually a very ideal attack because of low knockback and inability to L-cancel. Other things I would do after throwing is the N-air and judgement. You're both fairly good though, so keep up the good work!

Second match was considerably more interesting IMO. Not much I really can say here. Nice B-air to N-air combo! Your friend has other options besides D-tilt spamming to ledgeguard though. And wall teching might help a bit in such situations. Oh yeah, and your friend could still stand to mix things up with Counter. =P

Dunno yet about the third and fourth videos. Maybe I'll get to them. Maybe later.
Thanks for the criticism; I really appreciate it.

And for some reason, I have an easier time edgeteching Marth's FSmash than his DTilt :confused:. Maybe it's because FSmash has more hitlag behind it?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's mainly a wild guess, but from my poor observational skills, it seems like most Smash attacks have more hitlag than most tilts. *shrug*

Oh, another thing I might add. I just get a feeling that you generally prefer jumping into the fray and initiating the offensive a lot. This is why I emphasized on your friend mixing in some Counter into his gameplay, because in the fourth video, he really got in a good combo on you the one time he properly countered against you. I didn't notice you shieldgrabbing that much either (although I'm also guessing it's not necessarily easy against Marth). I'm just cautioning that I think your play style might be a tad too offensive. Your friend uses grabs and aerial game fairly well, and I think what he could do a bit better according to these videos is anticipating your approaches. I think if he happened to anticipate your approaches slightly better, you'd have a significantly harder time winning. I personally felt like I saw ahead of time when many of your approaches were going to happen.

Again, keep up the good work.

Top Bottom