• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 133 - Tracy Turnblad (Hairspray) and Gwimbly (Smiling Friends)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

The big question here is... Is this legally possible? Does Namco own the exclusive gaming rights for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? In 2009, Namco acquired the exclusive rights to Dragon Ball games in North America, hence why every game using that IP is either developed by or published by Bandai Namco. Has this deal since been extended to all Shonen Jump IPs? There are articles that say so, but they all point back to this 2020 article translating an interview in V Jump about a dedicated Shonen Jump team at Namco, which doesn't inherently mean they own the exclusive rights to every Shonen Jump IP. That said, it does seem like they have at least published every Shonen Jump game in recent years, which could point to it being true? If anyone can find a definitive source on this, please share it...
I'm not 100 percent sure but Naruto did make it into Fortnite so maybe crossover stuff is okay? Don't have many other examples though

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm not 100 percent sure but Naruto did make it into Fortnite so maybe crossover stuff is okay? Don't have many other examples though
It's not so much them not allowing crossover stuff. If it's true that Bamco does own the gaming rights, then that means that Warner Bros would have to negotiate with Bamco, on top of also dealing with whoever owns JoJo. And from what I hear getting the rights to Shonen Jump material is a pain. Which is what really hurts the chances of a JoJo character.

D

Deleted member

It's not so much them not allowing crossover stuff. If it's true that Bamco does own the gaming rights, then that means that Warner Bros would have to negotiate with Bamco, on top of also dealing with whoever owns JoJo. And from what I hear getting the rights to Shonen Jump material is a pain. Which is what really hurts the chances of a JoJo character.
Perhaps. I don't think Namco where credited with the Fortnite stuff and they do make Naruto games. It may be a case by case basis.

I also don't think a Jojo character is super likely tbf. I'm just not 100 percent sure how the Namco stuff works so I didn't factor it in to my rating.

Last edited by a moderator:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I, Dio Brando, wish to rule MultiVerses!

Chances- 25%

I would have given Dio a significantly lower score had @Darkonedagger not pointed out that the rights the Jojo anime are under a branch of WB. He is one of the most iconic characters in the series. The problem: he faces significant competition from other Jojo characters. I would argue his biggest competitors are Jotoro Kujo (the most popular Jojo) and his daughter Jolyne Kujo (the new hotness.) Even then, I doubt we're going to get any anime content at least in the base roster.

Want- 75%

I have only fully seen Parts 1 & 2 and I'm currently in the middle of the Egypt arc of Part 3. With that said, I do enjoy Dio Brando as an over the top villain. I can see a moveset incorporating his abilities from both Phantom Blood and Stardust Crusaders. That's what Death Battle did with Dio vs Hellsings' Alucard. It would be fun to see his interactions with the other villainous characters.

My noms: The Winchester Brothers (Supernatural) x10

CureParfait

Smash Ace
WRYYY!!!!!!

Chance- 35%
Dio being one of the most popular Jojo character and Jojo being fairly popular is an up side for him. The issue he currently has is how willing Jump wants to put him or any Jojo character to the game. Although WB distributing the Jojo anime might make it easier for Dio compared to other non Jojo Jump characters.

Want- 100%
Dio is my favourite out of the Jojo characters and definitely one of my most wanted. He would have nice moveset too especially if it's his Part 3 self.

Noms
Weiss Schnee x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Dio Brando

Chance rating: 25%. Reasoning? To be continued....

Ok I probably should have done that joke earlier, now that I think about it.

Anyway onto the rating. I'm gonna head straight into the big obstacle that Dio Brando (And JoJo in general) faces, which is getting the rights. Now from what I researched and from what Amageish has said, it's likely that Bandai Namco owns the gaming rights to JoJo. Now that wouldn't be that bad on its own, but Warner Bros still has to negotiate with the owners of the anime. And apparently getting the rights to Shonen Jump material is difficult so there is a good amount of roadblocks to get something JoJo related into the game.

I think it's really gonna come down to what the devs prioritize when it comes to their money and resources. Because Warner Bros is a huge company after all so they have the money and they have really good lawyers (If their strong pursuit on leaks is anything to go by) so it's certainly possible they could get the rights. Right now the game seems to have a decent budget but we won't really know until the game's out and kicking. But since MultiVersus is free to play it would have to depend on a good playerbase to get more expensive characters in. Otherwise the devs may not have the resources to make acquiring a JoJo character worth it.

With all that said, I'm going to give Dio a decent score. JoJo is huge. It's up there with Spongebob and the Star Wars prequels as one of the most memed IPs out there and Warner Bros should be aware of how popular the anime is with the internet crowd. JoJo has a passionate fanbase, it's relevant, and it makes for very interesting character inclusions. Assuming the game does well I'm sure Warner Bros will try to get a JoJo character in here. The only other obstacle I can think of is if they choose Jotaro instead, which is a realistic scenario. But depending on the difficulty of the negotiations we could maybe get both.

Want: 60%

I've only seen a couple episodes with a friend who's real big into the show. It seems like a really good anime, I just haven't had the drive to get into it. But I do respect its impact on the anime industry and the internet in general. Plus I enjoy some of the memes and Dio Brando's over the top nature so I'd be down for this.

Noms: Harry Potter x10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
"How many actual Warner Bros. characters did you deconfirm in order to get into Multiversus?"

Dio: "How many noms have there been throughout this thread's lifetime?"

Chance: 10%
Multiversus seems to be capitalizing on memes and things that are hot right now; as it turns out, JoJo fits perfectly into both categories. JoJo memes need no explanation as you've probably seen at least one "It was me, Dio" or "you're approaching me" meme at least once in you're life. JoJo is also super popular especially with Part 6 currently airing.

Whether this happens really depends on how far out WB will go. I'm pretty sure they do have some rights over JoJo thanks to the anime and Warner Bros. Japan. However, there may be some complications in terms of game rights for JoJo and other Shonen series as a whole. Namco acquired full publishing rights for Dragon Ball games back in 2009 and has seemingly retained this even today. I imagine since that time, they have acquired game publishing rights for other Shonen series. I doubt JoJo is an exception since every JoJo game in the 2010's has been published by Namco. This means that in order to get someone like Dio, WB would probably have to deal with both Shonen Jump and Namco which might be too much of a hassle.

In regards to who the JoJo rep would be if a deal actually worked out, I think it'd be Dio > Jotaro > Jolyne > Giorno > Everyone else.

Dio is one of the most iconic characters in the series (if not the most iconic) and definitely has the upper-hand when it comes to memes which Multiversus will be keeping an eye on. Jotaro is the go-to JoJo protag and has a lot of memes on his own, but we've seen some instances in Multiversus where the protag gets ignored over someone else in their series. Jolyne benefits with Part 6 anime airing right now while Giorno is super popular in general and even got into Jump Force as DLC.

Want: 100%
JoJo is my favorite anime series after One Piece so I'd love to be able to see a character from it playable. While I would personally prefer someone like Joseph or Josuke to get in first, Dio is easily one of the best picks (tied with Jotaro) to represent the series. He'd be hilarious to have and I'd love to see how they implement stands into a moveset and Dio's timestop. Forcing memes into his moveset is a concern, but with things like road roller and the approaching me walk I feel like the devs can implement it naturally.

-----

All my noms towards Concept: Hunter x Hunter rep (I think this is eligible since WB has published some localizations?)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
All my noms towards Concept: Hunter x Hunter rep (I think this is eligible since WB has published some localizations?)
Yeah it's eligible. The second anime series created by Madhouse aired on Adult Swim from 2016-2019 and Warner Bros has done some home video releases.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Neo from The Matrix.

Some songs to get into the Matrix mood:

amageish

Smash Master
Neo

Chance: 90%. I basically already said this on Agent Smith's day, but I think Neo is super likely. The Matrix is an iconic SciFi film that has also just ingrained itself in pop culture and popular discourse in a way few pieces of media have. I mean, several of the ways it has ingrained itself in popular culture goes directly against the intended themes and messaging of the film, but are you really a Science Fiction film if you don't have people misunderstanding your message on the internet?

The film is iconic. There are countless memorable and well-parodied scenes in it. It is to the point where Space Jam 2 didn't just give it a cameo, it did a full-on scene recreation and parody...

I'm sure all the children watching this movie found the reference hilarious.

Neo himself is one of the most famous action heroes. He's also played by an actor who is beloved online and frequently used for memes.

Basically, Neo ticks all the boxes: he is Warner Bros IP; he has obvious fighting game potential; and he's fits the internet-culture/meme-culture presence that seems to be a focus of this game thus far... I'm quite confidant Neo will eventually make it into the game.

Want: 90%. Neo deserves to be in the game and I'd definitely enjoy playing as him! Like most of the big blockbuster options, I wouldn't be super "hyped" per say, but he definitely would be nice to see!

Noms: All on Winchester Brothers

D

Deleted member

Woah..

Chance - 95%
As discussed in my Agent Smith write up, I think the Matrix getting some form of representation is close to inevitable. It's an iconic film series and one that is still relevant with with a recent squeal. It's such a major part of Warner's catalog. Neo is hands down the most likely option for a Matrix character. He's the central character, and everyone loves Kenau, they'd definitely try and get him back if Neo where to get in.

Want - 80%
I'm not a massive Matrix fan, but I respect it and think it belongs here. Bullet time could lead to a really fun and interesting moveset.

Noms to Mad Max

KillerCage

Smash Master
"Whoa!"
-Neo: The Matrix

Chances- 85%

I have a hard time imagining The Matrix getting no content in MultiVerses much less a playable fighter. As we discussed with Agent Smith, Neo is the most likely representative for the Matrix franchise. I mean the first film managed to be inducted into the National Film archive. With a new film being produced, that should guarantee a spot on the roster, right? Well keep in mind the film apparently didn't do well. There is a small possibility the devs might have been discouraged from including a Matrix character due to the new film's disappointing reception. Despite that possibility, I'm still fairly confident of Neo's chances of getting into MultiVerses at some point.

Want- 100%

The Matrix is one of the first R-rated films I ever saw (along with the Terminator series.) I also saw plenty of Matrix parodies back on Newgrounds. As you can tell, I got a special attachment to the Matrix series. Plus Neo has plenty of material to create a moveset for MultiVerses. I would be quite disappointed if Neo somewho doesn't make it into MultiVerses in any form.

Abstain due to not seen Matrix

Noms
Kuroyukihime- x3
Weiss Schnee- x2
Please watch the first Matrix film when you get the chance.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Neo that isn't of the Ice Cream sort

Chance: 95%

Take everything going in Smith's favour. Now consider that it's being applied to the main protagonist of the series instead of the villain so there isn't really anything standing in his way. I'd be shocked if Neo didn't make it at all to be honest

Want: 100%

Again I'd love to see any of the main 4 Matrix characters make it into a fighting game, there's a lot of cool stuff they can do and Neo's got that in spades. Plus he's Keanu Reeves so that's a huge win in his favour.

Nominations:
All on Deathstroke

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Neo: The Matrix Ends With You

Chance: 95%

I don't think The Matrix needs an introduction. The ideas of simulated reality and bullet time have been cemented into the mainstream consciousness thanks to this film and it has been parodied countless times. Not only do you have an iconic protagonist who has creative moveset potential at his disposal, he's also played by a wildly popular actor. Combine that with a shiny new film and you've got the makings of an extremely likely character. Really, I think Neo is a near lock. He has everything you would want in a candidate and makes too much sense. I mean, The Matrix is in the national film registry for christ sake, its cultural impact cannot be emphasized enough.

Want: 90%

Despite what certain people may claim, I'm not a fanboy of The Matrix. Heck, it's not even in my top 10 favorite movies list. But it is a kickass film that is one of the most influential from the past 25 years. Of course it deserves to be in MultiVersus. Plus I really like the visuals and especially the music which slaps hard.

Noms: Charles Kane x10

Day over.

Rate Ellie Williams from The Last of Us.

Some songs to get into the mood to avoid those annoying clickers:

Dio Brando calcs coming later.

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Harry Potter x55
Peanuts content x53

25-49
Fred Flintstone x45
K.O x45
Concept: Characters with no strong Warner Bros connection x39
Zatanna x35
Peacemaker x35
The Winchester Brothers x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
The Impractical Jokers x30
Deathstroke x25

1-24
All Elite Wrestling rep x23
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Charles Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Mad Max x10
Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Weiss Schnee x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

amageish

Smash Master
Ellie Williams

Chance: 15%. Ellie Williams is the heroine of 2013's PS3 hit The Last of Us, as well as the protagonist of its 2014 expansion Left Behind, its 2013 comic book American Dreams, and its 2020 sequel The Last of Us Part 2. Despite being under a decade old, it has quickly blossomed into one of Sony's biggest IPs and is included on the Wikipedia page "List of video games considered the best," which... has to count for something, right?

Now, as for why we're discussing her here, The Last of Us is getting a HBO series! Coming next-year-ish, HBO is bringing back two GoT actors for the cast, which stars Pedro Pascal as Joel and Bella Ramsey as Ellie. It sounds like it is an absurdly high-budget production - like, it's reported that the budget exceeds 10 million dollars per episode, which is a somewhat absurd amount of money for any TV show, nevermind a video game adaptation. If they're spending that kind of coin on the series, then I'd expect they'd probably want to promote the everliving hell out of it.

Sony has a (deserved) reputation for being stingy with its IPs, but I think Fortnite proves that they don't really care to be stingy when money is on the line. Kratos and Aloy were both put into Fortnite with the only caveat being a bonus variation on their outfits coming exclusively on PS5. Then, when the Uncharted movie came out, Nathan Drake and Chloe Frazer were added to Fortnite (including both their film and video game looks) with no such caveats! So, while Warner Media obviously doesn't own the video game rights to The Last of Us already, I think negotiating for its inclusion in a Warner crossover title wouldn't be that impossible as the interests of both Sony and Warner/HBO align.

Ellie does have some internal competition in the series with Joel, but I personally think it's probably either Ellie by herself or both of them together. Joel is a great character, but, at this point, Ellie has been the protagonist of more TLoU media then Joel himself has and has superseded him as the face of the franchise. There's also a lot of other options for gun-toting heroes of Joel's demographic, while Ellie would stand out more in that regard.

So, TL;DR - Ellie is a famous video game character who Warner has interest in promoting next year. She hits the general trends we've seen in the roster thus far: she has a Warner Bros connection; she has obvious fighting game potential; and she is well-associated with internet discourse, for better and for worse... I'd say she's fairly likely, provided the game ends up being a good promotional platform for Warner at that time.

And, y'know, provided Sony isn't making a PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale 2 and they want Ellie to be exclusive to that.

Want: 100%. I'm about to drop a hot take... I think the IP that is critically praised is, in fact, good. At least overall. A net good?

TLoU was my first real foray into M-rated video games. I had always enjoyed story-driven games and wasn't opposed to grit, but I had always opted for either colourful all-ages games or high fantasy violence which wouldn't actually be rated M. In fact, I think TLoU may have been my first time playing through a shooter in any form apart from the 2005 Star Wars: Battlefront II? And I really enjoyed it! Joel and Ellie have a super cute dynamic and the game was just a good mix of heartfelt and dramatically depressing. The underwater combat gave me serious motion sickness, but I had a very good time overall.

Then TLoU2 came out during a dark period of human history and doubled-down on the grittiness. I can't say it was emotionally was I was looking for at the time and I don't think it ended up being an amazing final product - plus, y'know, there's a lot of reports of worker abuse at Naughty Dog and you should not be forcing devs to have health crises just so that video game comes out slightly sooner?

Overall though, I'd enjoy seeing her in the game! Her moveset would be fun. Lots of cool costume choices and fun dialogue options. Just have fun with it. Give her a reveal trailer where Shaggy and Velma trap a clicker and attempt to rip off its face thinking it is a mask, so Ellie has to run in, shoot the clicker, and yell at them for doing something reckless and dangerous.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Dio Brando
Chance: 20%
Want: 82.5%

Neo
Chance: 93.17%
Want: 92%

Neo is now the third most likely and second most wanted character.

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Harry Potter x55
The Winchester Brothers x55
Peanuts content x53
K.O x50

25-49
Fred Flintstone x45
Zatanna x35
Peacemaker x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
Deathstroke x30

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Charles Kane x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Mad Max x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
Weiss Schnee x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Kuroyukihime x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

D

Deleted member

We really are the Last of us

Chance- 0%

The Last of Us does have a highly anticipated HBO show coming out. But the big issue is that they don't own the IP, Sony does. It's a PlayStation first party title. And while the dev team have said we may be seeing non Warner owned characters. I can't really see Sony aggreing to put a character in this game. They have done multiplatform content before with the likes of Fortnite, we have no idea if they would be okay with it here, they're really inconstant with this stuff. We've yet to see if WB are willing to dump money into this thing. Another big issue that Ellie has going is that Last of Us, especially 2, is pretty self serous, would they want Eilie fighting Bugs Bunny and Steven Universe? We do have Game of Thrones characters in here, but that's fantasy and a WB owned franchise. I'm talking less violence and more tone. I feel if they where in some crazy situation able to get a Sony character, they'd go for Kratos. He may not have the WB connection but there is the icon factor, which may just win out. I also wanna point out that the Eilie who it makes most sense to have playable is the adult version from 2, but the HBO show features, for the first season at least, the child version from the first game, portrayed by Game of Thrones actress Bella Ramsey, and while they do have child characters in the game, that verison being playable on her own doesn't quite feel right, she would make more sense as a duo paried with Pedro Pascal's Joel. I just don't think this is very likely, I'm afraid.

Want - 5%
I really liked the Last of Us 1 when I played it, though I was pretty young. I didn't really love 2, though I didn't have quite as much ire for it as certain parts of the Internet seem to still hold. But it's not really an IP I particularly hold a huge attachment to, or hold any major dislike towards, it's kind of just there. If we where to start getting guest characters, this wouldn't be my first pick. I'm just not that invested in the character. I guess they could kind of do a MVC2 Jill inspired moveset for her, which would be pretty neat, but I'm still not crying out for it. If it did happen the sheer surprise of it would probably get me a bit, so she gets a little bit of a rating bump.

Noms to Mad Max

KillerCage

Smash Master
Wait. Warner Brothers has the rights to Ellie Williams?

Chances- 1%

So The Last Of Us is getting a HBO series? That's cool, but it ignores the fact that TLOU is a Sony IP. I remember the controversy regarding Sony's handling of crossplay which involved Fortnite. Yes Kratos, Aloy, and Nathan Drake are in that game, but the former two are Playstation exclusive. Remember that MultiVerses is a multiplatform title that's coming to the Nintendo Switch and XBox Series X. Considering their animosity toward Nintendo, I highly doubt we are going to see a character from The Last of Us without some SERIOUS negotiations.

Want- 10%

The first game I got for my PS3 was "The Last of Us." I thought the game had meh gameplay, but a fantastic story with the relationship between Joel and Ellie being the best part. That just makes how their relationship was handled in TLOU2 even worse despite me not playing it. It made me kinda hate Ellie which is not a good thing. I also don't think a TLOU character can work in a fighting game, much less a platform fighter. Not only does Ellie lack an extensive toolkit that would make her stand out, but I also fear she would tonally clash hard with the rest of the roster and not in a way that would be entertaining like we saw Snake in Brawl. Sorry Ellie Williams, but I don't want you in MultiVerses.

D

Deleted member

Wait. Warner Brothers has the rights to Ellie Williams?

Chances- 1%

So The Last Of Us is getting a HBO series? That's cool, but it ignores the fact that TLOU is a Sony IP. I remember the controversy regarding Sony's handling of crossplay which involved Fortnite. Yes Kratos, Aloy, and Nathan Drake are in that game, but the former two are Playstation exclusive. Remember that MultiVerses is a multiplatform title that's coming to the Nintendo Switch and XBox Series X. Considering their animosity toward Nintendo, I highly doubt we are going to see a character from The Last of Us without some SERIOUS negotiations.

Want- 10%

The first game I got for my PS3 was "The Last of Us." I thought the game had meh gameplay, but a fantastic story with the relationship between Joel and Ellie being the best part. That just makes how their relationship was handled in TLOU2 even worse despite me not playing it. It made me kinda hate Ellie which is not a good thing. I also don't think a TLOU character can work in a fighting game, much less a platform fighter. Not only does Ellie lack an extensive toolkit that would make her stand out, but I also fear she would tonally clash hard with the rest of the roster and not in a way that would be entertaining like we saw Snake in Brawl. Sorry Ellie Williams, but I don't want you in MultiVerses.

The Kratos and Aloy skins are playable on any platform BTW.

amageish

Smash Master
So amageish's information is out of date?
Kratos and Aloy both are on every platform and always have been on every platform.

The caveats I mentioned were that there are two outfits (Aloy's Ice Hunter outfit and Kratos' armoured outfit) which are unlocked by owning their normal skins and playing through a single match on a PS5, at which point you've unlocked those outfits forever and can play using them on any platform.

1647819874370.png
1647819908480.png

Fortnite doesn't have any platform-exclusive characters. This is reportedly why their negotiations with Nintendo fell through, as Nintendo wanted Samus to be exclusive to Nintendo Switch and to not appear on other platforms - like how the Nintendo-exclusive Rocket League skins become generic cars when viewed from other systems via cross-play.

Remember that MultiVerses is a multiplatform title that's coming to the Nintendo Switch and XBox Series X. Considering their animosity toward Nintendo, I highly doubt we are going to see a character from The Last of Us without some SERIOUS negotiations.
Multiversus is not currently coming to Nintendo Switch.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, I read the room wrong.
Very wrong.
You're not reading the room wrong at all!!! Sorry if my reply was too aggressive.

I think saying Sony makes the chances of Ellie in Multiversus zero or near-zero is a perfectly valid take! The way the developers of Multiversus publically discuss the game makes it sound like they're aiming for a giant crossover, but we don't know (i) how much money Warner is willing to sink into this game, as Darkonedagger points out, (ii) how much promotion of up-and-coming Warner properties will be a focus in the roster's selection, and (iii) how successful this game will be out of the gate, as Sony being willing to work with Fortnite (which is one of the biggest video games in the world) is not inherently a sign they're willing to work with any crossover, even if they're already working with Warner in the non-gaming space.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spreading misinformation or being misunderstood in my post, hence my clarification about the skins.

KillerCage

Smash Master
You're not reading the room wrong at all!!! Sorry if my reply was too aggressive.

I think saying Sony makes the chances of Ellie in Multiversus zero or near-zero is a perfectly valid take! The way the developers of Multiversus publically discuss the game makes it sound like they're aiming for a giant crossover, but we don't know (i) how much money Warner is willing to sink into this game, as Darkonedagger points out, (ii) how much promotion of up-and-coming Warner properties will be a focus in the roster's selection, and (iii) how successful this game will be out of the gate, as Sony being willing to work with Fortnite (which is one of the biggest video games in the world) is not inherently a sign they're willing to work with any crossover, even if they're already working with Warner in the non-gaming space.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spreading misinformation or being misunderstood in my post, hence my clarification about the skins.
That's okay.
Even if my chance rating isn't accurate, I still hold to my want score.
My thoughts actually come from a similar place to Thorgi's when he made his roster for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 and why he excluded Joel and Ellie.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That's okay.
Even if my chance rating isn't accurate, I still hold to my want score.
My thoughts actually come from a similar place to Thorgi's when he made his roster for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 and why excluded Joel and Ellie.

Valid take! I personally feel like we already have one gritty HBO series which had "Anyone can die!" as a major selling point on the roster, but high-fantasy swordplay and post-apocalyptic action gunplay do have different...✨vibes ✨ to say the least...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Trust the fungus

Chance: 1%
What is The Last of Us' connection to WB? The upcoming HBO series. Said series, from the looks of it, will adapt and expand on the events of the first game (and Left Behind). In said game the protagonist and main playable character is Joel, with Ellie being a deuteragonist. Ellie in this incarnation is a very young teenager so MultiVersus might be wary of having her in (Arya is in but she's much older than TLoU1 Ellie and uses more fantastic weaponry rather than gun). With all this, I think Joel is probably the more likely rep (plus being possibly voiced by fan favorite Pedro Pascal is a plus).

Now, TLoU2 has an Ellie more fit for a fighting game. Might we see that incarnation - or rather, the TV version of it - instead? That's hard to tell. For one, we don't know if the show has a future beyond season 1. It might be intended as a miniseries, or it might flop and be a one and done. Even if it does get a future season, whether they'll adapt Part 2 is an interesting question. Mainly, because Ellie has to grow up. Do they just recast her actress, or wait for her to age up to the role? Will they try to bridge the time gap between games with various seasons to give Ellie time to become the age she needs to be? Do they even try to adapt Part II given its controversial nature? Neil Druckmann is very involved in the show, and he might either see it as a chance to fix mistakes or as one to double down and stand by his choices, so we could be looking at a very different adaptation. It's all up in the air, but one thing I'm sure they won't do is adapt Part 2 right away as that would require teen Ellie to do a lot of violent stuff that they probably can't get away with.

This is without getting into whether Sony would partake in the unproven platform fighter, and whether their foot forward would be the acclaimed, prestigious and very self serious franchise. Considering the rumors that MultiVersus won't restrict itself to WB properties, they might just get Kratos instead.

Want: abstain
I love TLOU but I don't know how I'd feel about it being in this game because we don't know the game or the show yet.

Noms: Peacemaker

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Walking Fungus

Chance: 15%

Looks like I'll be the outlier again. To be honest, I think Ellie has a fair chance, it just mostly comes down to how successful the HBO show will be I imagine. Since Ellie is a third party character, putting her in right now to advertise the new TLOU show would be risky and very awkward if the show ends up being cancelled after the first season. But otherwise I don't see too many obstacles in her way. I understand the concern with Sony but they seem to be more willing to work with other companies as the past few years have shown and as for the tonal clash with the rest of the roster? I don't see what's the big deal with that. Yeah I get most of the roster is lighter-toned stuff but if you ask me the roster as it is, combined with rumored characters, already makes for a major clash so I don't think Ellie would stand out that much. The only other thing I can see against Ellie is her admittedly lack of a diverse moveset pool. She has used a bow and arrows and a few other weapons and that's about it. Overall, not great odds but I think Ellie is arguably a darkhorse considering how critically acclaimed The Last of Us is.

Want: 50%

I'm very conflicted on this. On one hand, I really enjoyed the first Last of Us game. I think it's fantastic, albeit a bit overrated in my books, but a great game nonetheless. But on the other hand, I despise TLOU 2. The way that they handled Joel and due to certain people who were involved with the game, it soured my view of the franchise. This score mostly depends on how they handle her and which incarnation they go with.

Day over.

Rate Lola Bunny from Looney Tunes.

Some videos to get into the looney mood:

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Did Lola Bunny awaken your inner furry?

Chances- 30%

Is another Looney Tunes character likely to join MultiVerses? I would almost say certainly yes. Should Lola Bunny be the second Looney Tunes rep? No, that position should go to Daffy Duck. Can Lola join as the third Looney Tunes rep? Possibly but I got ask this: should Looney have three reps? I want to say yes since DC already has four reps, but I'm not if the MultiVerses agree. Could Lola be a representative for Space Jam since she did debut in that film? Maybe, but I could sworn LeBron James was leaked via an audio file. Honestly I feel Lola has too competition on multiple angles to get into MultiVerses.

Want- 40

I don't have a strong attachment to Lola Bunny despite seeing the film as a child. I do think there are other Looney Tunes characters that deserve to be in MultiVerses' roster. I wouldn't be disappointed if she did get in though.

My noms: The Powerpuff Girls x10

amageish

Smash Master
Lola Bunny

Chance: 70%. Lola Bunny's a newcomer to the Looney Tunes cast, debuting in the 1996 film Space Jam instead of any of the many long-running Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes shorts that dominated pop culture for so much of the 1900s. The 40s/50s/60s are considered the Golden Age of Looney Tunes and Lola debuted* in a much less iconic age where the IP was basically past-its-prime.

*Yes, I am aware that there are proto-Lola-Bunnies from 50s and 60s cartoons where yellow bunnies of inconsistent names and appearances appeared as on-again off-again lovers of Bugs Bunny, but Lola as we know her is still a relatively-modern creation.

So, why is Lola Bunny famous? Why did a character from a movie that was critically considered not-very-good become one of the most popular and reoccuring Looney Tunes?

I'm going to guess it is, at least partly, because she is a female Looney Tunes character and there just... aren't many of those, at least in terms of protagonists? There's Granny, but she's mostly a peripheral character to stories focusing on other characters. There's the Witch, but she's basically just a standard evil witch antagonist... There's Penelope AKA that cat Pepe Le Pew interacts with, but I'd rather not open that can of worms right now. And then there's Pussyfoot, who I am guessing most people don't recognize the name of and so I'll just put a gif of her and Mark Anthony here to jog memories.

Yeah, she's the small cat of this duo.

Anyway, point being: Lola Bunny has kind of become... THE female Looney Tunes character in recent years? Which means two things: (i) she appears in a lot of Looney Tunes media and (ii) her appearances tend to just be defined by a vague femininity and her actual personality has no consistency to it whatsoever. You want a femme-fatale-vibes attractive bunny? Lola can do that. You want a bitter straight-man persona to Bugs' extrecenties? Lola can do that. You want an overly-energetic persona that marches to the beat of her own drum? Lola can do that. You want a strong woman who trains with Wonder Woman? Lola can do that too! Lola can do literally anything.

So, for Multiversus? She's another "With time, if they don't expand too far beyond Warner's library, then I think she's basically inevitable." I'm pretty confident they'll continue to add Looney Tunes and, despite being a newer character whose moveset would probably overlap with the other slapstick-focused characters, I think Lola would be towards the top of that list, if not at the tippy-top. If nothing else, she's sure to continue having relevancy long into the future.

Want: Abstain! Lola can be anything, which means there are versions of Lola that I'd be hyped to see and versions I would be indifferent to seeing, so it's hard to give Lola in general a meaningful score.

That said, Looney Tunes Show Lola is GOAT.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Lola Bunny

Chance- 25%
She is possible for Multiversus but she has way too much competition from the Looney Tunes side in general. It is also pretty unlikely she would be the second Looney Tunes rep either.

Want- 10%
She is one of the Looney Tunes characters I am not particularly fond of. I unfortunately don't really remember her main shtick was either.

Noms
Kuroyukihime- x3
Weiss Schnee- x2

D

Deleted member

The awakening of a whole generation of furries.

Chance - 70%
This does feel a bit more of the likely side. Looney Tunes is one of the major franchises in Warner's liberty. The biggest issue she has is competition from other Looney Tunes characters. There's also the issue of how you make her stand out from bugs and which verison you go with. I feel like they would likely go for the Space Jam 2 version both for recency and for the chance of getting Zandaya back to do voice lines, but the role of a basketball fighter is seemingly gonna be filled by Lebron James. I wouldn't really be surprised to see her, but I think there are other picks they'll for first.

What- 25%
I've never really cared about Lola, with one exception. She's great in the Looney Tunes show, which is a really underrated take on those characters in my opinion. She gets a middle ground rating because I'm not crying out for her, but I wouldn't mind if she got in. It depends what they do with her

Noms to Mad Max.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The face that launched a thousand furries

Soooo, Lola Bunny. A character that really needs no introduction, except for the fact that she was basically introduced to audiences 3 times with 3 different personalities, voice actresses, and designs. Her history is as confusing as her popularity is outsized, and as I think those complexities all affect her odds, I'll explain her history as briefly as can be.

Lola Bunny made her triumphant debut in the original Space Jam. In that movie, Lola is depicted as a voluptuous, femme fatale type who speaks in a sultry tone, makes sexy poses, and serves as Bugs' love interest. On the flipside, she's also the only competent basketball player aside from Michael Jordan, meaning she gets a lot of screen time where she's just playing the game. Somewhere in the middle of those two aspects is her actual personality: Lola's shtick is that she doesn't want to be objectified, with her catchphrase being "Don't call me 'doll'", though whether that works, feels more like a satire, or is undercut by the movie itself is up to the viewer, I guess.

Space Jam was a huge hit back in its day and is still remembered (fondly or ironically). While it's a movie with a lot of winning elements – the sheer 90s-ness of it, the inclusion of MJ and Bill Murray, the soundtrack – Lola is its breakout character. As for why... I'm not gonna ignore the anthropomorphic elephant in the room: lots of people probably realized something about themselves watching Lola. She is a furry icon, and that's a factor that'll come into play later.

After Space Jam, Lola stuck around. She was popular, and basically the only female Looney Tune, so why not? From what I gather her depiction stayed mostly faithful to Space Jam's, with Kath Soucie still voicing her, though apparently her profession was changed to a reporter? I guess pro basketball player isn't a job that lends itself to many storylines, so whatever.

Fast forward to 2011. The Looney Tunes Show reinvents the franchise as a sort of animated sitcom that still keeps the zany humor of the original shorts. That, on paper, sounds terrible, like something you'd do if you ran out of ideas, but it really worked. With this reinvention comes one for Lola: now voiced by Kristen Wiig, this Lola is an eccentric, harebrained, unpredictable loon who disarms you with her antics and cheerful disposition. Her relationship with Bugs is more or less all in her mind, she's now friends with Daffy and new character Tina, and she could be said to stand on her own. If Lola's original incarnation was seen as a product of its time, this one arrived to address any and every criticism people had about Lola, and made a damn good entertaining character.

That said, as acclaimed as it was, it was, let's say, too complex a performance to work in any context. The Looney Tunes are a brand, so the characters need to be simple, immediately understandable to anyone – Bugs is a wise guy, Daffy an angry loser, etc. Lola as a character always walking the tightrope between lovable and annoying, who could jump from deadpan to impish to beaming with joy, I guess must have been too complex for the powers that be because when New Looney Tunes started, it depicted Lola as a bit of a mix between the Space Jam and LTS depictions. Kath Soucie was back, but the cartoony artsyle of the latter show stayed, and Lola's personality was a mix of both, still being quirky and carefree but also capable of displaying the original version's tomboyish and sporty attitude. A good compromise, right...?

Fast forward to the end times... last year. Warner Bros. needs to sell HBO Max. Someone realizes: "Wasn't Space Jam originally an ad for Nikes or something? We can do that again! But this time, instead of other people's brands, we promote only our own." And that creatively bankrupt pitch spawns a creatively bankrupt movie.

As for Lola, the people involved look at the original version, decide that's not apt for the moviegoing audience of today, and decide she needs to be updated. Thankfully since they already have a great blueprint for how a 21st century Lola acts like with the LTS and NLT versions, they... completely ignore them. Now Lola is a generic, girl power version of herself, who hangs out with Wonder Woman for... honor, I guess? And aside from that makes little impact and isn't even allowed to have any hint of romance with Bugs. ...Progress?

Even before the movie was released, the latest incarnation of Lola caused a stir because of her redesign. I'm taking a neutral stance here. On one hand, if a character's appearance ruins them for you, then that was all you cared about to begin with, which isn't a great look. On the other hand, I acknowledge that for many furries, Lola being hot was instrumental in letting them come to terms with being a furry, and they'd obviously be protective of that. Whatever your stance on it, we can all agree that Space Jam 2's version of Lola is widely unpopular, which is an important factor.

So yeah. 26 years, 3 versions of Lola. The thing that's hard to determine is whether their pros are additive or if the 3 incarnations are in competition with each other. With alternate skins and even alternate voicelines, it's technically possible that all three versions of Lola join the fray, ending all discussion. Lola has an obvious concept for her moveset – one focusing on basketball – which would fit both Space Jams incarnations (and wouldn't be that out of character for LTS Lola either). In fact, I think that puts her over the likes of Daffy in terms of priority. However, the rumored inclusion of Lebron as a fighter would put a dent in that as her concept would be taken, putting her back at square one.

If we stack the three against each other, I'd say SJ Lola has the advantage in terms of popularity (she has a mainstream movie and the adoration of all furries on her resume). LTS Lola has the support of professional critics and animation fans (both audiences that didn't particularly care for Space Jam's simple charms). SJ2 Lola has the support of... Warner Bros. Maybe. SJ2 did do relatively well for a pandemic release but was lambasted by critics and is basically a laughingstock for how blatant it is in its marketing designs. Would they want to include this version of Lola or sweep her under the rug with the rest of the movie? The fact that Lebron is apparently on the way would suggest that no, they're not trying to forget A New Legacy happened, but we'll see if it pans out. And let's say they do include Lola. Would they be willing to add a Space Jam 1 version as an alt, complete with increased boobage and "Don't call me 'doll'" voicelines? Wouldn't that undercut the creative team for SJ2 and the reasoning behind the changes?

I'm rambling. The conclusion I draw is that Space Jam 2 Lola is the frontrunner, with Space Jam 1 Lola right behind her. I could see either making it alone, or both being alts of each other, with LTS Lola being a distant third that would probably require the other two to be alts before being considered. Her fanbase just isn't as loud as SJ1 Lola's, sorry to say.

Chance:
Space Jam Lola: 15%
Looney Tunes Show Lola: 8%
Space Jam 2 Lola: 20%
Overall: 25%

Want:
Space Jam Lola: 100%
Weird post-Space Jam reporter Lola: 100%
Looney Tunes Show Lola: 100%
New Looney Tunes Lola: 100%
Loonatics Lexi Bunny alt for some reason: 100%
Space Jam 2 Lola: 0%

I'm a fan of Lola, and honestly I appreciate how much she's changed throughout her history. As amageish said, there are a bunch of proto-Lolas with similar designs predating Space Jam, which is really cool as she kind of has a lineage of her own. Space Jam is a very fun movie with that very specific attitude that you can only get from a 90s comedy and I always found Lola to be a very cool character in it, she's one of the MVPs. The Looney Tunes Show I've already raved about enough but yeah, Kristen Wiig's a genius and her Lola is no exception.

Space Jam 2 though, that kinda pissed me off. The redesign's whatever, like I said, I'm neutral on it, and the Looney Tunes are in that awful CG for half the movie anyway so the movie's failed on appearances either way. What really rubbed me the wrong way was the hypocrisy in acting like they were reinventing the character to be a good modern role model, only to leave her completely devoid of personality. Don't be dissing other people's work if you're unable to even match it, flaws and all. Plus it's totally dismissive of the fact that Lola was already reinvented, and quite well, thank you very much. And the other thing I didn't like was how Kath Soucie had recorded her voicelines to reprise her role, and at the last minute she was replaced by Zendaya just to have another name talent involved. No hate on Zendaya, this is on the producers, but she really phoned it in and failed to make the role her own. So at the end of the day it's yet another example of how Hollywood and the industry in general shows no respect for the work of professional voice actors, and that's a pet peeve of mine. So yeah. Keep that phony Lola away from... everything.

But really though I hope one of the cool Lolas gets in. She's a dope character.

Noms: Peacemaker

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Lola Bunny

Chance: 30%
Lola benefits greatly from being in Space Jam 2 which WB is going to want to promote on account of it being a new shiny corporate... thing. There's also the fact that she's a furry icon which I think definitely had to have been awkwardly brought up in the boardroom when deciding on characters. One thing that makes me not as hopeful in her chances is that LeBron James has been leaked so they might just go with him as a SJ2 rep. Of course they can still go with Lola, but it might not be for a while based on all of the leaked characters and by that time SJ2 will be old news.

For which version they'd go with, I think they'd choose SJ2 > SJ1 > Looney Tunes Show. SJ2 is the obvious pick for promo material and being able to slap Zendaya's name onto Multiversus (just like with SJ2). SJ1 has legacy and can probably work as an alternate costume for SJ2 Lola. Assuming they go full basketball with her moveset, idk if Looney Tunes Show Lola could work as an alt though it could happen.

Want: 65%
Best scenario for me would be 2011 Lola > Space Jam 1 Lola >>> Space Jam 2 Lola.

2011 Lola is my favorite version of the character; she's funny, charming, and I think helped to solidify Lola being an established Looney Tunes character rather than just the hot bunny girl. She gets a 95% want.

Space Jam 1 Lola is next. Not much to say other than her being the cool basketball bunny girl. She gets a 90% want.

Space Jam 2 Lola is the one I want the least since it glorifies the whole "let's get popular actors to take established roles from the original voice actors" thing which I absolutely hate. There's also Zendaya's performance as Lola being eh and Space Jam 2 as a whole being 🤮. She gets a 0% want.

Average of the scores is 62% but I'll bump it up to 65% in hopes that they go for a sort of general composite Lola that incorporates all versions of her like through alts.

-----

Noms to Concept: Hunter x Hunter rep

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Lola

Chance: 30%

There isn't much new that I can say that hasn't already been said by the other thorough writeups. But I'll chime in anyway. Despite being much newer than most of the Looney Tunes roster, Lola has already made her mark on the brand. Her appearances in both Space Jams as well as some shows like The Looney Tunes Show cements her as a mainstay. She's also very popular in general, for being essentially the female Looney Tunes character, as well as being beloved especially by um a certain group of people.

Now how exactly does she stand up against her competition? Well it's true that the Looney Tunes has a vast array of character to choose from: Daffy, Roadrunner, Wile E. Coyote, Yosemite Sam, Porky, Elmer Fudd, Marvin the Martian, etc. So the competition is quite stiff. But again, Lola is one of the few major female characters on the Looney Tunes table, so if they want more diversity she's a very good pick. As for moveset, well she isn't as over the top as many of the other characters so they would need to be more creative with her. Considering Lola is synonymous with Space Jam, they could give her a basketball moveset since she was competent with the sport in the movies. However, there is a problem with that:

Apparently Lebron James was leaked a while ago. I'm not sure how damming that leak was, but if James is indeed coming, he would certainly take up the basketball role. In that case, that takes a lot of wind out of Lola's sail.

Overall, Lola has a good shot I think. It just depends on how many Looney Tunes characters we get, which could be quite a few considering how huge the IP is.

Want: 20%

Some of the above ratings gave me more respect for Lola. But honestly compared to the rest of the cast, she seems kind of boring. It's true that she is a really solid character, especially in the Looney Tunes Show, but I think a major reason why this score is so low is because I grew up with the older Looney Tunes shorts. To me, the Looney Tunes is at its best when the stories are super simple and the focus is on the comedy: slapstick and random shenanigans. Maybe that's simply because that's what I'm used to, but I enjoy the slapstick nature of characters like Daffy and Wile E. Coyote, and I think they would be more entertaining and funny characters. I didn't like The Looney Tunes Show or Space Jam that much, so I don't have much connection to Lola and I just think the rest of the cast overshadows her.

Ellie Williams
Chance: 6.4%
Want: 41.25%

Noms List

100+

75-99
The Winchester Brothers x75

50-74
Harry Potter x55
Peanuts content x53
K.O x50

25-49
Fred Flintstone x45
Peacemaker x45
Zatanna x35
Charles Kane x31
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
Deathstroke x30
Mad Max 25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Weiss Schnee x9
Kuroyukihime x8
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Day over.

Rate Samurai Jack.

Some videos to get into the futuristic samurai mood:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gotta get back to the past.

Chance- 80%
Samurai Jack has a higher chance than a lot of other potential Cartoon Network faces I feel. He's from an action cartoon, meaning he slides into a fighting game pretty well, he got a pretty well received revival on Adult Swim a couple years back, an even got his own game a year or two ago. A samurai archetype would be a good addition to this game and would give us something we don't really have yet. The game director is also known to be a fan of the franchise. I feel like he has a pretty decent chance.

Want - 100%
He absolutely should be in here. He just fits so well. Samurai Jack is one of the coolest and most stylish cartoons ever made. There's enough there to make him feel like more than an average sword user. And whatever stage he comes with is bound to be visualy striking. I'm a pretty big fan myself, and I would be very happy to see him here.

Noms to Mad Max

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Samurai Jack

Chance- 55%
The game director being a fan of his franchise and one of Cartoon Network's more successful series boost his chance quite a bit. I think there's a quite a bit of competition he has to face regarding to CN reps though.

Want- 0%
I haven't really enjoyed Samurai Jack series when I saw it. It is also one of the series I really don't want in Multiversus.

Noms
Kuroyukihime- x3
Weiss Schnee- x2

Top Bottom