• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 134 - Concept: Gundam rep and Goober (Goober and the Ghost Chasers)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Do androids dream of fighting bats, bunnies, and dogs?

Chance: 25%

Some of you guys are not giving Blade Runner enough credit. It is a cult classic, often regarded as one of the defining examples of neo-noir cinemas. The film got a recent sequel and just today it was announced there is a new series in the works so the IP appears to have a good future. In addition Blade Runner has influenced films like Total Recall and shows like Battlestar Galactica. Combine that with special effects that were superb for its time and you have a strong legacy.

With all that said, is Agent K super likely? I think it really comes down to this: Which protagonist would they choose? My gut says we probably won't get both Agent K and Rick Deckard, although I guess it's not out of the question completely. But it's a good question, will they go with the protagonist from the influential original, who is played by the legendary Harrison Ford? Or will they go with the protagonist from the more recent film which might be seen as more marketable? If you ask me it's a coin flip.

Want: 75%

Another confession: I haven't seen Blade Runner, as in neither film. I will certainly rectify that, especially due to GoodGrief's writeup. I certainly have more respect for Blade Runner now and plus I think a neo-noir stage would look really good.

Noms: Harry Potter x10

Harvey Birdman
Chance: 17.14%
Want: 57.14%

Despite being a revered lawyer, it looks like there is a level of skepticism if he is capable of taking on the MultiVersus case, so much so that he is now the least likely character.

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Eustace Bagge x60
Quan-Chi x54
Ed, Edd n Eddy x50

25-49
K.O x40
Concept: Characters with no strong Warner Bros connection x39
Zatanna x35
Numbuh 1 x30
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
The Impractical Jokers x30
Fred Flintstone x25

1-24
Dio Brando x20
The Protagonist (Tenet) x20
Audrey II x17
Rebecca Bunch x15
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
Pim and Charlie x10
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Rick Sanchez x10
Harry Potter x10
Spike (Gremlins) x10
Agent Smith x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
All Elite Wrestling x8
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Maxwell x6
Neo x5
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Top Cat x5
Peanuts rep x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

I apologize for this. For some reason the spoiler tags aren't working tonight.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Daffy Duck from Looney Tunes.

Some clips to get into the duck season mood:

D

Deleted member

Wabbit Season. No Duck Season.

Chance - 100%
There seems a few certainties with this game, we're gonna get more cartoon network characters, we're gonna get more DC characters, and we're gonna get more classic toons. And after Bugs I feel Daffy is the second most likely Looney Tunes character. He's arguably the second most iconic, though some would argue that may be Tweety Pie due to the large amounts of merch. It would be kind of weird for them to not include him due to the team up based nature of this game. There's a decent chance he makes base game but if not he's very likely for DLC.

Want - 95%
He's a great and often underlooked Looney Tune imo. I think I kind of liked him more than Bugs as a kid and there's something so indearing about him. I think I just like the underdogs if I'm honest. Cartoon characters like him also lend themselves really well to these kind of games.

Does anyone remember the DS game that was like an interactive Daffy and had various mini games? I have really fond memories of that for some reason.

Noms to Pim and Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:

amageish

Smash Master
Daffy Duck

Chance: 98%. Uh. Yeah. He is Daffy Duck. I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the base roster, but he is an incredibly famous Looney Tune and feels to me like an inevitability?

I guess maybe they will tap out on Tunes after a set number and will choose to prioritize characters like Wile E. Coyote or Elmer Fudd or the Tasmanian Devil whose movements may immediately stand out more from the general-slapstick tones Bugs and Tom/Jerry already represent... Or maybe they'll choose to focus on spin-offs more with not-technically-Daffy reps from stuff like Loonatics Unleashed and Tiny Toon Adventures and Space Jam: A New Legacy...

But, honestly, I can spin hypotheticals about specific situations where Daffy is out-prioritized all day and I don't know if it'll change my actual mind. I think Daffy Duck will be in the game eventually. It's just a matter of when.

Want: Oh, you want my opinion on Daffy Duck? I'll give you my opinion on Daffy Duck!!! I think Daffy Duck is...

Uh...

I... don't know if I have an opinion on Daffy? Like, I've watched Looney Tunes. I've watched a lot of Looney Tunes, actually. I've watched tonnes of the originals as a kid, discovered the oddity of Loonatics Unleashed from a rental store, watched the sitcom The Looney Tunes Show on Netflix, and even did a research paper on Warner Bros WW2 propaganda films in my first year of university, but... I just do not know if I actually have an opinion on Daffy? Some Looney Tunes characters are such staples of cartoons that I struggle to see them as defined characters to form an opinion about insomuch as concepts for various creators to play with. I abstain, I guess...

Noms: Rebecca Bunch x 5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I demand that you shoot me now!

chances: 75% id say his chances are high but i cant get over this nagging suspicion that bugs maybe our only looney tunes character. maybe its cause hes the only one on the roster at the moment but i get the feeling that the roster is going to go in certain directions that most of the looney tunes arent in. i suspect we'll get a lot of dc characters, mostly batman characters, and characters from series im not a fan of. but if we were to get another LT character it would certainly be daffy, maybe wil.e. in terms of the tunes daffy is without doubt the biggest and best known besides bugs. him not getting in would be like having mickey without donald. or putting daisy into smash before toad, oh hang on.

want: 100% you can keep your miserable edgelords thank you very much ill stick with this sort of thing. as a person who's father is a major LT fan i have seen a lot of the cartoons and they're still funny. of course as with all things from back then they have not err lets say aged well. it also means i know several random pieces of trivia about the character such as the way he speaks was based on their boss and he never realised thats where they got it from. so daffy is hilarious and is wacky enough to be one of the most fun characters in this game. he is certainly the sort of character id play this game from not stuff like game of thrones of terrible things like rick and morty. effortlessly wacky humour suits me just fine.

noms to top cat

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Daffy Duck (Looney Tunes)

Chance: 100%

There's NO WAY Daffy is missing out on MultiVersus. It's a crime that Looney Tunes only has one character on the roster at the moment. I feel Daffy has a great shot at making base roster. After all, he's always been at the forefront with Bugs Bunny himself. If he won't be on the base roster, DLC is looking really likely. It should be duck season anyway.

Want: 100%

I mean...he's Daffy Duck for crying out loud. He should be there with Bugs Bunny. Looney Tunes is Warner Bros's most iconic and biggest IP. Overall, he should be there to fight alongside Batman, Shaggy and the liking. Daffy even got to meet a whole bunch of WB characters in the new Space Jam as well. Quite simple, as is.

Nominations:
Maxwell x5
Peanuts rep x5

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Daffy

Chance- 90%
Given Bugs is in already there is a good chance Daffy is going to make it in since he does appear in media with Bugs quite a bit. Couldn't give him the full 100% due to the off chance the Multiversus devs might go down the unpredictable route after showing the current roster.

Want- 30%
Not really a big fan of Looney Tunes in general but it'll be kind weird to see Bugs only in Multiversus. Plus Daffy is pretty much iconic as Bugs is as well to the point I see them as an iconic duo.

Noms
Dio Brando- x5

KillerCage

Smash Master
Hey Daffy Duck! How's Donald?

Chances- 95%

I have an EXTREMELY difficult imagining Daffy NOT joining the roster at any point. He is the most recognizable Looney Toons character outside of Bugs Bunny who's already in the roster. He's the main protagonist of Looney Tunes: Back in Action (not sure if that is a plus or minus but whatever.) Even IF he misses the base roster, I'm certain Daffy would make it into the DLC. If he is not the DLC, there WILL be riots (assuming MultiVerses is a hit.)

Want- 80%

I grew up with Looney Tunes so I have some fondness for Daffy. He's one of the first characters I think of talking about Looney Tunes. I can see him bring out his Duck Dodgers persona as part of his moveset. The reason I'm not giving a full 100% want score is that I'm not THAT attached to the Looney Tunes brand. I will say this: there WILL be blood if Daffy does not in MultiVerses in any form.

My noms: Agent Smith (Matrix) x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Daffy Duck gets KO'd

"You are despicable.'

Chance: 90%

Yeah this seems super likely. Granted it's possible Bugs could be our sole Looney Tunes rep or some others could make it in, but Daffy is often regarded as the second protagonist behind Bugs himself. Plus I'm very confident in us getting another Looney Tunes rep. The franchise has the notoriety, legacy, promotional aspect, and memes to back it up, and Daffy I feel is the next logical step. He has starred in over 160 cartoons after all. There isn't much else I can say, it's Looney Tunes, so it's a very safe bet.

Want: 80%

I'm not dying for another Looney Tunes rep but I would be delighted with Daffy. I grew up with various Looney Tunes cartoons and I love the wackiness of it all. The slapstick, 4th wall breaks, and the overall brilliant humor. I would like to see more of its antics in MultiVersus.

Noms: Numbuh 1 x10

Calcs coming tomorrow.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What kind of name is Daffy anyway?

Chance: 85%
Yeah uh Daffy Duck is one of the most iconic, prolific, recognizable and other synonyms for important characters in animation history. If Bugs is the star of Looney Tunes then Daffy is the deuteragonist, the Vegeta to his Goku, as you'd say. He makes more sense than most to include in this game, especially since its focus is on 2v2.

On the other hand, I don't expect all of that to put him on the fast track necessarily. We'll probably get other, more combat ready Toons first (think Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, Taz, Yosemite Sam, Elmer, etc.) before they go to Daffy, whose moveset concept is simply "slapstick, but different from Bugs'". Daffy is huge but he's not a character that gets headlines since he's just that obvious. Therefore I expect Daffy to be DLC.

Want: I mean, it's Daffy Duck. I like the mf but he's also like the most vanilla choice to like. It's like asking me if I'd like Bowser to be in Smash... Yeah. Who wouldn't?

Noms: The Protagonist (Tenet)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Duck Season, fire!

Chance: 100%

It's Daffy Duck, it's really quite as simple as that to be honest. He's second only to Bugs who's already in so he's next in line if they choose to simply go down the pecking order.

Want: 90%

He's always been one of my favourites Looney Tunes. But I also half expect him so I don't think he'd get me excited as much because he's just an obvious choice. If it was say, Duck Dodgers that'd be more exciting to me.

Noms:
All on Quan-Chi

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Agent K
Chance: 13.50%
Want: 59.17%

Agent K did fairly well in terms of want, but he is now considered the least likely character so far.

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Eustace Bagge x60
Quan-Chi x54
Ed, Edd n Eddy x50

25-49
K.O x40
Zatanna x35
Numbuh 1 x30
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
The Protagonist (Tenet) x30
Fred Flintstone x25
Dio Brando x25

1-24
Harry Potter x20
Pim and Charlie x20
Agent Smith x20
Rebecca Bunch x20
Audrey II x17
All Elite Wrestling rep x13
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Rick Sanchez x10
Spike (Gremlins) x10
Top Cat x10
Maxwell x9
Snow Miser x7
Peanuts rep x7
**** Grayson x6
Neo x5
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate "Dastardly" Richard from Wacky Races.

Some clips to get into the dastardly mood:

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm going to abstain on this one.
I don't have strong feelings to this dude nor do I have a reasonable idea of his chances.
Who's day is next?

Ny noms: Agent Smith x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Daffy But Slightly Late
Chance: 99%
Daffy is another character that I'm surprised hasn't been confirmed already. He's like the 2nd most popular Looney Tunes character. There's no way he doesn't get added eventually.
Of course I want Daffy in. He is Literally Me, after all.

Noms: Rick Sanchez x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Muttley, you snickering, floppy eared hound. When courage is needed, you're never around. Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest Should be there for bumbling at which you are best.

chances: 90% sure if any (other) HB character gets in itll be him. the most famous character from the wacky racers and one of the few to get his own spin off he seems like the perfect character for this. a character this iconic would be a real shame to leave out of this game. i mean if theyre going with meme shaggy they should have a guy this humours in it. the only questions are do you give him his car or an incredible flying machine? and is muttley a separate character or part of his moveset?

want: 100% i imagine he'll play the way wil.e does with a kamakazie style moveset. as ive said before wacky characters are my thing so hed be perfect. i have many a fond memory of wacky racers and stop the pigeon so ill admit theres a touch nostalgia in this. sure theres a number of WR characters i like more but i think weve gotta go with DD for a rep. it would be fantastic.

noms to top cat

amageish

Smash Master
Dastardly

Chance: 80%. So, old Censored-Name Dastardly is a pretty famous villain/anti-hero! Even if you haven't seen any show he was in, I feel like his name has become very famous on its own terms as just a very good and alliterative villain name. He also has a very famous villain look that seems to have represent that era of hunched-over moustache-twirling villains in the public conscious.

He's also still relevant! Wacky Races got a reboot not so long ago and he got to appear in the latest animated Scooby-Doo movie using a 3D design that I will politely describe as "a bold direction for the character to go." That design also got to cameo in the film I will continue to reference and dunk on in this thread, the reference cavalcade that forgot to be funny, Space Jam 2. He's definitely key to the Hanna-Barbera line-up as it's big bad and quintessential evildoer.

Problem is... Scooby Doo (as in the dog) still isn't in this game. Yogi Bear still isn't in this game. Not a Flintstone or Jetson in sight either. I don't know how often they will want to return to the Hanna-Barbera pool of IPs? It's multi-generational and therefore a great line-up for wide appeal, but Warner Bros catalogue is big and it's just hard to know where they will draw the line - especially as there's not exactly a shortage of slapstick character options in the line-up. With enough time, I think old Dastardly is pretty likely to make it into the game, but this is one that I'd want to see more about the direction the game is going before getting super confidant in the pick.

Want: Abstain. Hanna-Barbera, like the Looney Tunes, have so many cartoon staples that it's hard for me to honestly have an opinion on the concept of a character. I'd enjoy the classic Dastardly, but if it meant Scoob Dastardly? That's a harder sell to me.

amageish

Smash Master
how was it? and break it to me gently i just watched the trailer for the rescue rangers film
Given the amount of reboots of Hanna-Barbera cartoons, it certainly is not the worst reboot I've ever encountered.

That's about all the good things I can say about it. It is mostly just trite in a way that fails to either feel like an interesting twist on the established formula OR a classic tribute to the original cartoons. It's cliche, but it's not the right kind of cliches you would want in a Wacky Races reboot, if that makes sense?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Given the amount of reboots of Hanna-Barbera cartoons, it certainly is not the worst reboot I've ever encountered.

That's about all the good things I can say about it. It is mostly just trite in a way that fails to either feel like an interesting twist on the established formula OR a classic tribute to the original cartoons. It's cliche, but it's not the right kind of cliches you would want in a Wacky Races reboot, if that makes sense?
yes that makes sense to me. sounds like some of things ive said about reboots/makes

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Dastardly (Wacky Races)

Chance: 75%
Dastardly is an underrated pick. He is the classic cartoon villain and is extremely relevant as of right now. He's in the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe (re-introduced in Scoob!), was in the Wacky Races reboot, was in the new Space Jam, etc. He'd be the perfect pick to represent Wacky Races. However, we still do not have some of the main HB characters like Scooby Doo, Fred Flintstone, Yogi and Booboo, etc. in MultiVersus just yet. But, I feel people don't realize how relevant of a pick Dastardly would be.

Dastardly is one of my favorite cartoon villains. Wacky Races is a legendary cartoon. I think his moveset would be cool as he can set up traps and use Muttley as well. I mean, I love this guy. He was the inspiration for Waluigi, I believe. Why do you think I created the support thread for him after all? I'm all in for Dastardly.

Noms:
Maxwell x5
Peanuts rep/content x5

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Dasterdly

Chance- 60%

He along with Muttley is definitely one of the more famous Hanna Barbera characters so I think he has a fair shot at it. The only issue I see is his car stuff might be harder to implement for moveset wise.

Want- Abstain
I recognize the character but I barely remember him other than he is partnered with Muttley.

Noms
Dio Brando- x5

D

Deleted member

Richard.

Chance - 80%
Wacky Races is a classic and outside of their Scooby Doo offerings, is probably the most remembered Hanna-Barbera show along with Yogi Bear and the Flinstones. He was just the main villian in a major animated film and continues to keep making cameos throughout various Warner media. He also has enough moveset potential from both Wacly Races and Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines
I can definitely see it happening.

Want - 60%
I used to like those cartoons a lot when I was a kid. I can imagine him having a very fun moveset, likely being a team character with Mutley.

Noms to Spike

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What a dastardly good name

Chance: 60%

I was originally going to go lower than this, but after seeing all the other ratings my opinion has changed. It appears that I underestimated Dastardly because he does have some merits. Wacky Races was popular enough to get a spin-off show and after that Dastardly appeared in a variety of Hanna Barbera's cartoons. He is essentially their pivotal villain and what's more is that he has relevance. Wacky Races got a recent reboot, Dastardly appeared in Scoob! and he's one of many that cameo'd in Space Jam 2 so by all intents and purposes he can certainly get into MultiVersus. The only obstacle he has is competition with fellow Hanna-Barbera characters like the Jetsons, Flintstones, and Yogi Bear. But Dastardly has enough merit to the point where his competition isn't a major concern and he's more important than I originally gave him credit for.

Want: 50%

I've barely watched Wacky Races and honestly aside from Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry I never got into the majority of Hanna-Barbera cartoons. But judging from the few clips I saw Dastardly does seem like a very entertaining character and I'm interested in seeing if they can implement elements from Wacky Races into his moveset and how that would look like. So yeah this score mostly depends on how they handle him but I'll keep an open mind.

Noms:
Numbuh 1 x5
Ed, Edd n Eddy x5

Daffy Duck
Chance: 93.2%
Want: 91.88%

Daffy Duck is now the second most likely and most wanted character. In fact he was less than 2% away from beating Eric Andre in terms of want. In terms of chance, Joker still beats him by 4%, but that's still close all things considered. Not to mention Daffy is the second character to enter the 90s range for both chance and want so good on him.

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Eustace Bagge x60
Quan-Chi x59
Ed, Edd n Eddy x50

25-49
K.O x40
Numbuh 1 x40
The Protagonist (Tenet) x40
Zatanna x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
Pim and Charlie x30
Dio Brando x30
Agent Smith x30
Fred Flintstone x25
Rebecca Bunch x25

1-24
Harry Potter x20
Top Cat x20
Audrey II x17
Rick Sanchez 15
Maxwell x14
All Elite Wrestling rep x13
Peanuts rep x12
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Spike (Gremlins) x10
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Neo x5
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Penis Dastardly (happy now Smashboards?)

Chance: 75%
I am here to make the argument that Mr. Dastardly here is low-key one of the likeliest characters to be in this game.

• He'd be the go-to rep for Wacky Races (and its several spin-offs and revivals)
  • He's usually considered the villain of Hanna-Barbera as a whole (take for example his role in the movie Scoob, which was set to start a Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe; and also the H-B theme park ride)
  • He's still relevant. Aside from the aforementioned Scoob, there's the 2017 Wacky Races revivals, two comics under the Hanna-Barbera Beyond label (basically gritty reboots for their cartoons) and of course a cameo in Space Jam
  • He's got that meme energy that gave the likes of Waluigi and Robbie Rotten their popularity (in fact, those two likely had Dastardly as their inspiration). Given this is the game in which Ultra Instinct Shaggy is playable, I would say this is a bonus
  • There aren't many villain reps yet. We have Harley Quinn and... I guess Tom or Jerry, depending on your perspective? There's room to grow is what I'm saying
His biggest obstacle is competition from other Hanna-Barbera icons like the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Yogi, other members of the Mystery Gang... There's a lot of ground to cover to be sure. But I don't see it as a zero-sum game, and it's no small feat to be in the same category as these other characters. Plus, honestly? If this game is meant to appeal to kids who don't know who the **** these ancient characters are, maybe Dastardly with his inherent Waluigi-ness is the more appealing option. Just sayin'.

Dastardly is such an entertaining character and he's even better because he comes with Muttley. Not much else to say he's just a no-brainer inclusion as far as I'm concerned.

Noms: The Protagonist (Tenet)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sorry for the long delay, today was very busy.

Day over.

Rate The Grinch. Yes, that Grinch. The one that has termites in his smile and is as cuddly as a cactus.

Here are some out of season songs to get into the mood to not touch the green guy with a 39-and-a-half foot pole:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're a mean one.

Chance - 40%
The Grinch is a classic beloved Christmas character, who has developed a bit of a meme following as of late, which is clearly something they're looking at. The question is which version do they go with. The original Chuck Jones version would likely blend well with Bugs Bunny and Co, but the live action version may be slightly more known to modern audiences because of said meme value, I guess they could probably be alts of each other. I could possibly see them adding him during the holiday season.

Want - 50%
Who doesn't like the Grinch. I'm not exactly begging for them to add him but I would certainly play him if they did.

Noms to Spike and Gizmo (Split the votes between them)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ultimate's Nightmare before Christmas

Grinch is still pretty relevant with his recent film and I don't need to go over the story that had with Smash which would make Grinch being added pretty amusing. He's also an icon of the Christmas holiday season too so even without his film he'd still be kept relevant through Christmas being a thing, he's an enduring icon.

Want: 60%

I don't care for him too much but I'm not against him either, I'd just prefer a whole load of other characters to him. As I said above, it would be kinda amusing to me if he were added to a platform fighter given the whole Grinch fiasco with Ultimate too.

Noms:
All on Quan-Chi

KillerCage

Smash Master
Wait this isn't the Jim Carrey Grinch?

Chances- 25%

The original cartoon special is still beloved to this day. It would be neat to the Grinch in MultiVerses. What's the problem then? Both movies were done by Universal, not Warner Brothers. Considering the most recently incarnation was the CGI animated film by Illumination/Universal, I don't have high hopes for Mr. Grinch.

Want- 55%

I grew up with the original cartoon special. I also grew up with the Jim Carrey film. It would be neat to see the Grinch duke it out with Bugs Bunny. He could bring the tools he used to steal Christmas. I'm just not foaming at the mouth in anticipation of his possible inclusion.

My Noms: Agent Smith (Matrix) x10

amageish

Smash Master
The Grinch

Chance: 10%. So, The Grinch is timeless. He's not only famous; he's a yearly tradition for many people. He appeals to every age group through continued remakes and new adaptation. He has cemented his place as one of the biggest Christmas story stars alongside the likes of Scrooge and Rudolph. He also works in an ironic "I don't like how corporate Christmas is, but enjoy warm winter good vibes regardless" way. Plus this game will be a games-as-service title, so it could potentially be timing characters to launch around/for different holidays! Things seem pretty good for the odds of him being able to steal an invite to Multiversus, right?

Problem is... The Seuss Estate exists! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Seuss Estate is a little bit more controlling of their IPs then, say, the Tolkien Estate? I don't think the Cat in the Hat or the Grinch or Horton are getting the same level of multi-media collaborations and crossovers as other IPs in this game. I mean, there's Seussical, but that is an interior crossover with other Seuss IPs, so I don't know if that particularly counts? They have sold the film rights to Universal, but I am guessing that wouldn't cover "You get to put him in a crossover game where he can punch M-rated characters in the face" clauses...

In fact, Seuss doesn't even have much exploration in the video game space? There are two Grinch games - both based (in premise) on the 2000 live-action movie - but otherwise... We have some Living Books adaptations and a 2003 live-action Cat in the Hat movie licensed game... Even checking the App Store, all the Doctor Seuss media I can find are direct adaptations of books and... um... a Doctor Seuss NFT collection app????

Let's just move post that one...

So, I don't think the Grinch is doomed. I think it's... possible? But it feels like it'll be an uphill battle and require some top-tier negotiation skills. And even then, there's a risk they'd pick a different Seuss character if they were able to get negotiations rolling.

Suffice it to say: if the Grinch leaked for this game, I'd have some follow-up questions.

Want: 90%. The Grinch is fun. As I become more cynical and more adult, I enjoy corporate Christmas iconography less and less, but... The Grinch is just fun. He is an enjoyable mood. Just please don't add the live-action Matthew Morrison musical version...

CureParfait

Smash Ace
The Grinch

Chance- 5%
The Grinch is pretty famous for all ages which makes me put him higher than 0%. The issue against him is he is from Universal, it's going to be tough getting him into the roster. I think if they allowed third parties his chances will slightly go up though.

Want- Abstain
To be honest I did see the Grinch before but I didn't really remember him well until Smash's Grinch leak popped up.

Noms
Dio Brando- x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
You've got garlic in your soul Mr. Griiinncchh!!

Now let's start off with the positives. Mr. Grinch here is an icon of the holidays with his cynical-turned jolly attitude. He is a recognizable figure among different generations thanks to the original special which airs every Christmas season, plus the 2000 live action and 2018 adaptations. And this was just brought to my attention, but Warner Bros and the Seuss Estate have announced a couple years ago that they are partnering up to produce new Grinch movies. That's a pretty big deal right there. But in addition to that, Warner Bros has done some home media releases for the original special so that counts for something.

As for the negatives...actually I can't think of much. Any concerns that I had with the Seuss Estate have been nullified by their recent plans with Warner Bros and they did pretty much say third parties are on the table so I don't have much concern there. Really, I think it just comes down to how much Warner Bros wants to expand on the Grinch IP.

Want: 70%

Like with a lot of people I grew up with the original TV special and I did watch the Jim Carrey movie in the past, although I actually didn't care much for that one. But the original will always be brilliant. The Grinch's theme tends to get stuck in my head. It's probably my favorite Christmas-related theme and in general The Grinch himself is quite wacky so I would like to see how he translates to a fighting game. Plus he's such an icon that it's hard not to support him, even if I'm not dying to see him make it into the game.

Noms: Ed, Edd n Eddy x10

Calcs coming tomorrow

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
The Grinch (Dr. Seuss)

Dr. Seuss’s IPs have actually had a long connection with WB. The old specials air on NBC, the specials are distributed on home video by WB’s home video branch, Warner Animation Group is planning on partnering with the Seuss Estate to make a whole animated Seussverse, etc. I know third parties are on the table and this one seems likely. The Seuss Estate’s IPs may not have been in many video games so I’m not sure how they would feel about a Dr. Seuss character in a platform fighter. Overall, with the close partnership between WB and Seuss Estate makes me think we will get a Dr Seuss character at some point.

The Grinch is my favorite Dr. Seuss character. I made a support thread for him for MultiVersus remembering that Dr. Seuss and WB are in a good corporate relationship. The Grinch leak could come true if The Grinch joins a platform fighter. The Cat in The Hat is a close second but The Grinch would just have a cool moveset based around stealing things. We still don’t have any character to represent WB’s holiday based IPs so the Grinch can cover both WB’s holiday IPs and Dr Seuss properties.

Noms:
Maxwell x5
Peanuts content x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you called down the thunder, not get ready for the BOOM! gaze into the face of fear. boga boga

chances 50% its possible i suppose. he does seem like the sort of character theyd go for but hes not quite owned by WB is he. so really the question is would the seuss estate allow it? difficult to say, i cant think of any games based on any of his stories, i think i recall seeing an advert for a game based on the cat in the hate film, so its hard to say. i mean would they allow him to be in a game with characters so tonally different its just a bit weird. itd be weirder if smash hadnt been doing it for ages but im used to it. so i feel theres enough uncertainty i feel that i cant go any higher than 50/50

want: 100% i like the grinch story. the cartoon was fun, the jim carrey film was great and the illumination film was very dull. though that wasnt surprising given their track record. as ive said when rating daffy and the like wacky characters are thing i prefer and a character with christmas stealing gizmos would be far more fun than certain other characters. plus wouldnt a stage with "youre a mean one mr grinch" as it bgm just be great? i think so

noms to top cat

Top Bottom