• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the Nintendo Game! Day 6: Pikmin 2 (GCN) and New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (Wii)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hmmm. Well the storyline might have been a bit expected and it might be too MMORPGish for some but I really liked how the game mixed up a lot of JRPG elements.

I take that you disliked almost everything of the game? So did you beat the whole thing?

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I respect your oppinion, but can you give details on what you didn't like about it? I have only heard good reviews, so I would love to know what it's like from a different perspective. (if you don't want to, you don't have to)

D

Deleted member

0%.
Nothing but overrated trash. Even Hotel Mario was more interesting.
Pokémon Heart Gold/ Soul Silver X5
This is by far the most unbiased review that I've ever seen for a video game.
Seriously, what is your vendetta against Xenoblade and Shulk? I won't be taking them being "overrated" or "trash" as legitimate answers. Elaborate; why is Xenoblade "trash"? It seems to me that you are hating on this game for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Isn't that a bit much? Even overrated games get a score much more than 0%....

It might be overrated but still an amazing experience considering JRPGs on consoles of last gen. And how it serves as a cool JRPG, MMORPG, western RPG fusion.

Well each to their own I guess.
This is @KingShadow we're talking about, remember? The guy who's most wanted newcomer was potato :troll:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
This is @KingShadow we're talking about, remember? The guy who's most wanted newcomer was potato :troll:
Eh?

But seriously, a day lasts really long on this thread.... It is still stuck at day 4.

Wouldn't it better to say game 4 rather than day 4....?

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Day 4 is over / Day 5 has begun!

I am so sorry for the belated/overly extended Day. I was originally giving it a couple extra days to allow for more votes. Then I got a promotion at work and my schedule simply didn't line up with this. My apologies for not giving you guys an update sooner. Things should be back on track now.

I give Xenoblade Chronicles a 100%. and nominate Metroid Prime x5

That brings Xenoblade Chronicle's rating to a solid 86.90%, even with a user who gave it a ZERO. SOLID performance. I'm really feeling it.

Today, we have Super Mario 64. and surprise! We'll also be rating Super Mario 64 DS! Some people definitely prefer the original version, while others like the extra content of the DS remake in spite of more difficult controls.
(Tomorrow is Pikmin 2 for GameCube, so don't waste your vote!)

@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice , you get an extra TEN nominations for being the closest prediction for XC.

and I give EVERYONE an extra FIVE nominations as apologies for the delay.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So my quest for xenoblade ends for good...

Super Mario 64: 75%
My only experience with the game was the DS port. It was fun, but it wasn't anything exceptional for me.
Ninating hotel Mario x8
Fire emblem awakening x2

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord

Super Mario 64: 75%
My only experience with the game was the DS port. It was fun, but it wasn't anything exceptional for me.
Ninating hotel Mario x8
Fire emblem awakening x2
....no! You should strongly reconsider it in the future. It's well worth the price tag (with Smash U being a priority of course). It ends up costing well under $1 per hour spent playing. Perhaps if you get a NEW 3DS one day though. I'm curious to see what additional/enhanced content, if any, it will receive.

D

Deleted member

Don't say that! I did the calculations and I excluded the zero. Xenoblade Chronicles should have received a total of 96.00%.
The zero heavily skewed things away from this score. Don't let that score turn you away from Xenoblade. It's an absolutely fantastic game and it's well-worth the money and effort.

As for the Directory, it has been updated.
I'll rate tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

If two of my Rate Their Chances posts (the one with the barely relevant purple dragon and the one with the dead bandicoot) weren't any indication, I was almost purely a PlayStation gamer back when Super Mario 64 was the newest installment of the Mario platforming series, and I never fully played it (I've had my share of exposure, though) until downloading it via the Wii's Virtual Console, so I'm rating this game with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles off. I'm also abstaining from the DS remake because I haven't played much of it. I remember the controls being awkward, though.

+ It has excellent nonlinear level design for the most part.
+ The hub world contains some interesting secrets.
+ It successfully brought the Mario series into the third dimension...
-- ...for the most part. Being an early 3D platformer, the camera control pales in comparsion to newer ones. It might take getting used to.
+ It has some great music by Koji Kondo. The catchy main theme and Bowser's Road stick out to me in particular.

Score: 90%

If you're into 3D platformers, then just play this great game that still holds up.

Also, am I the only person who didn't struggle with the final boss fight with Bowser?

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Don't say that! I did the calculations and I excluded the zero. Xenoblade Chronicles should have received a total of 96.00%.
The zero heavily skewed things away from this score. Don't let that score turn you away from Xenoblade. It's an absolutely fantastic game and it's well-worth the money and effort.

As for the Directory, it has been updated.
I'll rate tomorrow.
Indeed. Since it's an opinion-based game, and I am convinced King Shadow wasn't trolling, and merely has a very negative opinion of the game, I didn't discard it. It would have been our highest rated game otherwise.

This is just a reminder - and I'm not saying this happened at all - but it makes me think of it. Don't rate a game higher or lower than you believe it deserves just to damage/inflate its score. Again, this is purely subjective to your own experience, but just because the rest of the world loves it, and you thought it was mediocre don't give it a 0 instead of a 50 if that's what you would give it otherwise.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Super Mario 64: 96%

Probably the best example of transitioning from 2D to 3D. Great controls, fun levels, memorable tunes, and overall just a classic.

I give the DS port a 97%. It was the same great game though it had a lot of new features, such as 3 new playable characters, 30 new stars, and a ton of minigames.

Nominations: Super Mario Sunshine (x5).

Last edited:

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
Rating: 90%

One major thing to note about this game is that it single handily popularized 3-D games. The game was easy to pick up, fun yet had that difficulty games had back in the day. It also had some of the most memorable songs and stages in Nintendo history.

It's been almost 20 years since the game came out and truth be told it hasn't aged well. That was the point though. Super Mario 64 was the foundation of 3-D games. It built a pathway for other 3-D games at the time and still to this day. Without Super Mario 64, gaming just would not be the same.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
"It's-a me, Mario!"
(I honestly never understood what he was saying before I looked it up online. :laugh:)

Super Mario 64: 95%
The game is a classic. This was the first 3D platformer that hooked me in completely. I've played both the original and the DS remake, but only ever completed the DS one, as I was older and wiser by then. The game is a father figure to the 3D Mario platformers that followed, and while there is plenty of early instalment weirdness in effect, the game is still really enjoyable. Large open worlds where you can roam freely and do whatever you want. Plenty of varied missions in each world as well. The music is top notch and some have become iconic to the series in their own right (Road to Koopa, Peach's Castle Theme, and Bob-Omb Fortress are notable). So long-a, Bowser!

Super Mario 64 DS: 97%
The DS remake was better imo.. Although the lack of analog was a problem, it really added a lot. Luigi, Yoshi, Wario each had their quirks (Being able to play as Luigi was honestly a big plus for me), and there were a 30 new stars, and the minigames, though nobody cared a whole lot about them, are fun for passing time. Bonus points as I was actually able to complete it and didn't find the d-pad controls particularly hard.

Nominations:
Duck Hunt x 5
Super Mario Galaxy x 5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Super Mario 64
Score:
95%

+Amazing sense of exploration. There is so much to see, discover, and explore in each of the worlds.
+The game's levels are varied. You won't see any repeats of levels in the 15 courses, so the game doesn't get repetitive.
+The music is amazing. The main theme, Peach's Castle, Bowser's levels, and Dire, Dire Docks are among my favorite tracks.
+It's very non-linear. Don't want to fight King Bob-Omb on top of the mountain? How about you free that Chain Chomp or collect 8 Red Coins instead? Of course, some missions won't be available unless you pick them (Koopa the Quick races).
+At the time, the graphics were pretty good.
+Mario has good controls; you feel like you are as free as him.
-No Luigi
-100 Coin missions suck. The worst one is in Dry, Dry Desert where if you don't get a specific amount of Coins before you enter the pyramid, you will probably end up with between 90-99 coins, like here.
-The camera hasn't aged well at all. It's very limited.
Overall, masterpiece of a game. This is my favorite game of all-time and my childhood game. You are doing yourself a disservice if you have somehow not played this game.

Super Mario 64 DS
Score:
85%

Most of what I've said still applies, but...
+You can now play as Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario, so the game has a bit more variety to it.
+Each world has one more star.
+New levels are fun to explore in.
+Some of the mini games are fun time wasters.
+Improved camera.
-Once you get Luigi, you will rarely play as anyone else. He has superior jumping abilities that makes some stars absolute jokes. You probably won't play as Yoshi, Mario, or Wario unless you really have to. Speaking of Wario, he doesn't get a lot of action outside of breaking black bricks.
-You're playing a 3D game with a D-Pad, which is a bit hard to do. The 3DS circle pad kinda makes this easier.
It's a fun remake, but there are some things holding it back.

Nominations:
Luigi's Mansion 5x
Fire Emblem: Awakening 5x

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Update will take place between 10pm and midnight tonight, CST. Pikmin 2, and I'll also let you guys rate and discuss its WIimake, New Play Control! Pikmin 2. I'll probably always double up and do original vs. remake days when applicable.

I give Super Mario 64 a 93%
I imagine if this was your first game of this caliber, it was a magical, legendary experience. It didn't necessarily define the Nintendo 64 - the 64 had an amazing library throughout its lifespan - but it did initiate the theme for those defining games: quirky personality, freedom, exploration, and collecting, four of my favorite things in gaming. It is not my favorite of this style of Mario games. In fact, I prefer Sunshine and Galaxy 1 +2. They do have more charm and better level design and polished gameplay. but in most ways, SM64 is a more addictive game, even if it isn't better. Even when you've done everything in the game, you never run out of things to do, and it's one of the few (for the most part) storyless games that are worth multiple, 100% playthroughs. and I think it will always be impervious to aging badly.

and its DS remake the same, also 93%
It's amazing what a leap the DS was from the GBA in terms of power. Jesus. I didn't fully appreciate it at the time, but talk about incredible. I appreciate the added content and characters. That said, I didn't have that same initial magical impression due to somewhat frustrating controls. I'll take @Brawler610's advice and give it a shot with the 3DS circle pad.

I nominate Banjo-Kazooie x10

As always, please spread the word about this thread and encourage others to participate and Watch. I love reading what everyone has to say, but I want to see it expand to at least 15 or 20 regulars. :)

Also, I don't see any predictions yet for Pikmin 2. Don't forget to do so!

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Super Mario 64 DS: Like many good n64 games, I have sadly never played the orrigional.
I love this game. It has a lot of exploration and there is a lot of playtime. With 4 main characters, the game feels very large in comparison to many other games. I feel like this game is pretty challenging compared to many games today. I love all of the levels and all of the missions inside. However, it still has it's flaws. One problem I have with it is, the boss fights are extremely easy. I've never had a hard time against any of them and I feel like making them harder would have made the game much more fun and the final boss much more intense. But other than that, I love the game, and while there are a few smaller complaints that aren't really worth stating here, it is one of my favorites.
I give it a 90%

x10 Kirby's Adventure

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Super Mario 64: 90% Great game, loved the level design.

x10 MOTHER 3

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Super Mario 64 - 100%
This was actually my first ever Nintendo game (before that I played on the now long forgotten Sega Game Gear). I must have spent countless hours on this game, it was practically my childhood.

Pikmin 2 prediction: 74%

Nominations: Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask x 15

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Day 5 is over / Day 6 has begun!
Super Mario 64 received an excellent 93.63% rating.
Super Mario 64 DS received an 89.50% rating.

Each of these games set the
bar very high for future ratings on their respective consoles. Mario 64 beat Smash 64 and is the highest rated game on the console, for now.

@ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf , can we get an update on the Results Tab, buddy? Just making sure you're okay.

Today, we're rating Pikmin 2 for GameCube. Surprise! We're also rating the New Play Control! version of Pikmin 2 on the Wii. Have a preference?

(Tomorrow is... our first joke day. At least I think it's a joke. Hotel Mario for the Phillips CD-i. I dunno if anyone has actually played it, but predict how it will do.)

@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice , you get an extra five nominations for being the closest prediction for Super Mario 64.

D

Deleted member

I have only played the GameCube version of Pikmin 1, so I'll abstain. I do have plans on playing the Wii port of Pikmin 2, though.

Nominations:

Ocarina of Time x3
Majora's Mask x2

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I think I'll have to abstain too. I barely know anything about Pikmin. Sorry.

Super Mario Galaxy x 5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Looks like I missed the Super Mario 64 rating day, I expected "days" to be longer than one actual day (especially after what happened to Xenoblade lol) so I intended to rate Super Mario 64 tomorrow... okay I'll rate them today ahah, but I'm fine with my scores not being counted.

Super Mario 64: I'd give it a 100 %
Yeah I admit huge nostalgia factor in this score, it was my first Nintendo 64 game and my first game with 3D gameplay. There are a lot of different techniques that make the gameplay rich and fun, like wall jump, long jump and somersault. Also it is a game that promotes exploration a lot, with eight different stars in each level and no particular order required to get them all. There is no really glaring flaw in this game IMO, and combined with nostalgia goggles it justifes a 100 %.
It's a bit regrettable that Galaxy games only have three standard stars to collect in a specific order because otherwise they would probably outclass Mario 64 for me, not counting the nostalgia factor of course.

Super Mario 64 DS: I'd give it a 45 %
I didn't play this game a lot but according to what I remember about it I didn't enjoy it that much. I felt that the multiple characters gimmick was pointless, because of the differents hats is each level that let you use anyone without having to actually change your character. I guess the point of the multi character gimmick was to choose your favourite character amoung the four, because I don't really remember cases when I had to change my character. Also I hated the controls, I mean seriously what's the point of releasing a such game on a system with no slide pad? Maybe my opinion is flawed (if actually there are cases when you actually need to change your character) because I didn't go really far in the game and I was not able to collect all the stars, and maybe the game would be much more enjoyable on a 3DS thanks to the slide pad. But still I didn't really enjoy the game very much and 45 % is my score.

So today is Pikmin day. I wish it was Pikmin 1 because it's the only one I played on the Wii port. If it was this game we were rating I'd give it a 75 %, because I find the gameplay to be really unique and cool, but maybe not suited for me at the time I played it, because between the powerful enemies and the time limit, you really need nerves of steel to manage your Pikmin team. I remember I stopped playing this game because the gameplay was too oppressive for me, but now I'd like to give it a second chance and retry it, unfortunately I don't have the game or a Wii anymore.
After doing researches I saw that Pikmin 2 doesn't have the limited time system, so it would seem less oppressive than Pikmin 1. Due to this I'm going to abstain about Pikmin 2.

Hotel Mario prediction: 20.03 %
I know how the CD-i Zelda games are considered to be bad games but bad in an hilarious way, I don't know much about Hotel Mario but I guess it's a similar case.

Nominating:
The Mysterious Murasame Castle (NES / 3DS Virtual Console) x7
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (GameCube) x3

I won't have the opportunity to rate games during this weekend.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How did I not find out about the existence of this game sooner? I'm joining in!

Pikmin 2 - 100%

Alright, time for a big in-depth post on my experience with this game. It's one of my favorite video games (even rivaling the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker for my top favorite video game of all time) I've got quite a few things to say about it:

(incoming huge post that I decided to collapse just for the sake of not making the initial page increase considerably in length with one post. This is mostly me sharing a large amount of memories of my first experience with the game, I don't really elaborate on how I feel about the game today and it's fairly long, so feel free to skip over the collapsed part if you wish)
So, to start off, I remember the first time I had learned of the Pikmin franchise's existence. I was playing Luigi's Mansion, actually (another one of my favorite games) and went into the options menu. Among the list of options however, there was a viewable trailer for the first Pikmin. I was immediately intrigued with it, the thought of controlling an army of cute little plant aliens just seemed really unique and fun to me, and the enemy designs were so...different to me. They were new and creative bug-like alien things, they really stood out to me. The mix of cartoonish characters within a realistic world....it all just really stood out to me, it seemed like a game right up my alley. I wanted it so badly...... but my mom could never find it. However, she was eventually able to find the sequel. At first I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't play the first game in a series, but once I got into the gameplay I had no regrets playing the sequel first. I immediately began to have fun trying to guide them in battles against bigger creatures and watching the bunches of them carry stuff much bigger than them around. I had played a lot of games at the time and it was a totally new and stunning experience to me. From what I can remember, I must have played the game for at least 8 hours straight, maybe even longer. I would always try to take breaks from other games and my mom usually would check on me there as well just in case...but I was lucky enough to play that game for at least that long the day I got it, she could tell I really loved this new game.

But...oh man..... was I a supermassive noob back then. To sum myself up, I was a a bit clueless, paranoid, and easily scared when it came to bosses early on. I remember Louie dying to the Empress Bulbax's roll attack, which caught me by surprise as I first attacked her from the side rather than the front. I panicked and left the cave as fast as I could. I went back to the cave to get stuff I missed several times but always avoided attacking the Empress until one time where I finally realized that the only way to make further progress was to defeat her....it was time for revenge. I pelted her with my entire army, but noticed that the Pikmin were still trying to attack her during her roll and that she would shake Pikmin off directly behind her into her rolling path....from that point on I began to analyze how the abilities of bosses and enemies worked, as well as paying more attention to the Pikmin's behavior. I'd say that Pikmin 2 was the game that taught me about strategy. I don't believe I was nearly as careful in any video games prior to playing Pikmin 2. I started to study the levels, the enemies, the potential dangers, the potential rewards and how to go about getting them (or avoiding them in the case of most hazards).

(most of the rest of this collapsed part of the post is just me sharing really detailed bits of memories of my experience with certain bosses and my thoughts towards the Pikmin and the captains at the time)

Then came the Burrowing Snagret. I was too clueless to throwing Pikmin at the head for some reason, and only swarmed it. As such it lost health very slowly, and I lost my much of my swarm Pikmin after Pikmin, until it finally ate a single white Pikmin, which poisoned it, losing a bit of extra health. At the time this led me to believe the White Pikmin were the beast's weakness and as such I went in combat with only a group of them against it, so that if it ate any more it would get poisoned and die more quickly. I was also too clueless to throw Pikmin at the Beady Long Leg's head (or maybe I was just too terrified of the beast's constantly stomping feet to get a good amount of Pikmin close to it) until after a few extra visits to the cave. I'd talk about my experience with most other bosses as I was pretty clueless with many others and was outright stunned by a few of them later on....but then this post would just turn into a story detailing my entire first journey with the game and it go on forever, that would be way too long and just plain unnecessary. So I'll try to spare a lot of other details for the rest of my post.

I even began to immerse myself in the game and pretend as if I myself was the very person leading the Pikmin in the game's world. The Pikmin are cute and sweet looking creatures despite what they're capable of with a leader and in a large group. I would actually get sad when a single one would die to something really unfortunate, and would even grieve for them when a large group would be lost to a single deadly creature, especially at the end of a journey through a cave as I would be reminded of how many were lost, often accompanied by the sound of one dying....sometimes though I wouldn't get sad, but rather mad and rage out if they were nearly all lost to one stupid thing. like an explosive...then proceed to reset the game and therefore the cave's sublevel. Still, that didn't prevent me from getting a desire for vengeance in some situations, I would often attack the monsters that killed them in pure frustration over the loss of Pikmin and would be totally satisfied when I would succeed in killing them.

Also, the game's atmosphere gets really interesting over time, with more bizarre looking enemies with more bizarre and dangerous abilities, like rock spitting caterpillars, robot-like things that used balloons to float, fish with explosive guns and glass armor....all often introduced or at least seen together within the same area.... things just started to feel really surreal to me as I got further in the game....and I loved it for that.

And now for something spoiling the climax of the game, for those who may not have played it yet:

I remember seeing Louie on the Titan Dweevil for the first few times. I feared that Louie was not captured, but controlling the monster. I even started telling myself outlouad "Louie, I know that can't be you controlling that monster!" repeatedly. I just hated the idea of him trying to kill the Pikmin after he helped them out so much through the game, I even played as only him once through my first run on the Snagret Hole when Olimar was knocked out by another monster just before we entered it. I really immersed myself in the game indeed....eventually, after several backtracks and planning, I finally beat the Titan Dweevil and it was one of the most satisfying things I had ever done in a video game, and my first time beating him remains as so today. I was so proud of myself. I was also a bit surprised to see that the Treasure logs hinted Louie may have been controoling the beast after all....

Whoo....that was a really long share of memories there...I hope I wasn't rambling or anything for longer than I should have....

Memory Lane aside, I'll get down to some aspects of the game itself.

First off, again, the idea of controlling a little alien plant army that could easily take down bigger creatures in a group really appealed to me. And I began to appreciate that unique core aspect of the game as I grew older and more mature and intelligent. The gameplay is seriously fun, though it requires quite a lot of strategy and planning ahead of things, you really need to get to know how things work. And if you're like me, that''ll be just half the fun of it! Every thing about the new and unique style of gameplay was handled perfectly in my opinion.

The graphics in the game are simply stunning, by the way, especially for it's time, trying to emulate the real world to an extent. Again, I didn't truly begin to appreciate a game with such graphics could exist and run so smoothly for it's time until much later on.

And I remember playing the first Pikmin game later on....I didn't expect it to be the same amazing experience all over again, of course, but to my surprise I was actually a bit disappointed by some things...mainly, the time limit. I'm so glad they removed the time limit from the second game (and did a completely reworked time limit system in 3, that was much better than the first one's IMO) and the Pikmin were a lot harder to control and save from burning to death. Things like that were more annoying to me than they were actually challenging, so I'm quite glad they made changes to improve those things in 2.

And last but certainly not least, the idea that the entire world was an "abandoned" Earth, with no signs of active human life anywhere. After all, I was surprised and intrigued by the presence of "larger" real world items (a lot of which are from existing companies such as Chapstick) acting as the game's "Treasures". And the Creature and Treasure notes were all really nice touches. Since the Hocotation astronauts were exploring a planet that was new to them after all, it makes perfect to study it and it's inhabitants. I had a fun time reading about the known behavior and occasionally biology of the planet's creatures, as though they were real world animals under research. The emails at the end of the day are a nice feature as well, since they often give further insight on the story, the main characters backgrounds, and that of their families as well, and sometimes they even provide helpful hints!

Overall, the game of course is not perfect, no game is. But to me, it was one of the "perfect" games for me in the end, I've come to love every single thing about it. And I still enjoy playing through new files(aka Mission Logs) of it today, and even just goofing around and playing on complete files just to defeat enemies and grow my Pikmin army further. The gameply was a totally new experience for me, and it and the first game were for a lot of people. Because there existed no games with such a concept prior to them: I can't forget this game came out the genius mind of Shigeru Miyamoto either.

Can't say anything about the controls of the New Play Control version since I've never played it.

Didn't get a good look at the nominations yet so for now I'll nominate: Majora's Mask x5. May edit this later.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Pikmin 2 - 92%
The pikmin games have an fun kind of strategy to it, get an small squatters of an color, grab pellets or any nutrients you can find, build an army to wipe out all in your way or die trying, and maybe grab some junk to boot.
The sequel expanded upon the original by simply adding another commander to gather up an army of mindless drones allowing to do two things in two different places at one time (one goes exploring while the other stays back and supervises the pikmins goodies and junk to be collected)
The goal is similar to the original but instead of trying to repair your ship and escape alive, your going back there to scrounge up money to accommodate for some elses mistake, so you don't go bankrupt (or more like the company that apparently pays you nothing does)
The overworld though feels a bit more condense to me at least, and have no time limit either making exploring only worth to look around for the game's second addition, the dungeons, which are holes in the ground which you can grab 100 pikmin to go into, which contain a lot of treasures (or junk), enemies, an boss usually, and special candypop buds to get special pikmin from.
The dungeons usually aren't that challenging, and are more often than not hide n seek variation, only being challenging from certain enemies which always are an pain to start with (looking at you gatling groink) going in without an recommended type or purples, or if your name is the submerged castle.
The final addition to the sequel is the new two types of pikmin, whites and purples, purple pikmin are strong enough to kill gaint bulborbs in seconds, stunning them in the process too, They also move much slower than the others a and can carry 10x more than the others too, and would probably be the prefer type you use every time you see a threat.
Whites are fast out running any other pikmin and even yourself, they are resistant to poison and can see junk underground making them always essential to go spelunkering.
Both types can only be find underground and do not inhabit an onion unlike the main three (they use your ship instead)
The difficulty is there but is slightly lesser to its predecessor (from the time limit) and anyone could breeze through it if they know what they are doing, i myself have completed the game (all treasures got, all dungeons cleared, and got back home safe) without a single pikmin dieing, twice. But there is certainly enough to do that you won't be able to complete the game in a day or two,
There's also, while a little quirky but fun competitive co-op mode, challenge mode with 30 stages which can be tuff to fully complete, and overall an bundle of fun,
I'll certainly recommended it to anyone who just simply wants to raise an army of plants to destroy all beasts and bugs to even get an bigger army and don't care about goals or time limits.(though if your looking for more of an challenge I'll recommended the first one first)

New play control, pikmin 2 - 92%
Pretty much the same as the GameCube except with an wii remote and nunchuck,
Its basically the same so it gets the same score.

Nominations: the legend of zelda: wind waker (GC)X5

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Pikmin 2 - 100%
This is actually my number one favourite game of all time. The Pikmin series is an extremely unique and fun series and the second game is the best of the three.

Nominations: Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask x5

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I think I will have to refrain from a review as well, considering I haven't played any Pikmin games. Although I might just have to try seeing everyone is rating it so ravishly.

Nomination:

Golden Sun x10 - those extra Xenoblade nominations, didn't use em yet :)

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Pikmin 2: 20%
I've played it, and I've never found it very enjoyable. Maybe it's the slow first couple of hours, but I found the game boring.
Nominating FEA x5
Predicting hotel Mario at a 69.69%:troll:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I give:

Pikmin 2 : Grade A (Near perfect), Recommended

Pros
  • Great amount of content and exploration that will take you plenty of hours/days.
  • Very whimsical atmosphere and presentation that Miyamoto is best at.
  • Good balance of strategic puzzles that aren't too hard or easy.
  • Randomised dungeon layouts help make dungeons a different experience every time.
  • Great variety of enemy and boss designs, exhibiting their own personalities.
  • Atmospheric soundtrack that adjusts to match the mood of what happens on screen.
  • Holds an emotional side that syncs well with everything.
Cons
  • Environments may become repetitive to go through, especially with the dungeon aesthetics.
  • Graphics and textures are slightly outdated/anti-aliased. At least if you try looking up too close.
This is one of my all time favorite games. It's slightly underrated, but it still gets great recognition thanks to its great presentation and character.

Guess I vote:

Luigi's Mansion (GC), x3
Banjo Kazooie (N64), x2

Last edited:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Pikmin 2: 95%
I remember this game being amazing, not only solving the original's problems but also adding a ridiculous amount of content. THe only reason why I didn't do 100% is because I never got around to beating it. I might do it sometime though.

As for nominations:
x5 Custom Robo(GC)
x3 Tetris Attack(SNES)

Top Bottom