• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Sonic #2

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
I think you did fairly well, considering Kirby is an awkward character for Sonic. The Kirby wasn't very good as far as I could tell...used Up B a lot. I'd just work on keeping more pressure on him, stay close to him and use more A moves is what I find most effective.

Boxob

Smash Champion
The only approach you seemed decent at landing was the easiest one, spin dash to homing. A smart player will learn to dodge after about two of these. Get better with other approaches.

I didn't see one bair hit. It's a good move and I think you used it a total of three times that match. Use it more.

Same with the fair.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
The only approach you seemed decent at landing was the easiest one, spin dash to homing. A smart player will learn to dodge after about two of these. Get better with other approaches.

I didn't see one bair hit. It's a good move and I think you used it a total of three times that match. Use it more.

Same with the fair.
When you say approaches,do you mean try and combo into something else like fair?

I'm trying to work on those 2 too.I have a harder time doing those against smaller characters.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Well, the bair is pretty easy to land on kirby and other short ppl, timing is key tho. But i will say a fair is a bit tougher to do safley unless u see them airborne... if u perform a fair too low to the ground... even if u hit its really hard to land the knock back final hit, and instead Sonic hits the ground and has more lag...

Boxob

Smash Champion
When you say approaches,do you mean try and combo into something else like fair?

I'm trying to work on those 2 too.I have a harder time doing those against smaller characters.
Well, sonic being a combo char, it's easy to combo/pressure with him, the hard part is initiating the combo/pressure.

You seems to enjoy spamming the side b into homing, it's not a bad choice, as it catches many people offgaur, but you can get close with other moves, even ones out of the side b like you were saying just now. Try uairs and fairs. A really fancy combo of mine that I like using is a side b > Fair > Spinshot > Uair > Spring Uair. I've pulled it off a couple times over wifi and it is a beautiful sight lol. I almost want to name it after me but that'd make me a jerk.

But there are other approaches that aren't the side b. Fair alone works well, running grab > Dthrow > hyphen smash. (sliding up smash) even just dash attack > whatever. I usually do ftilt out of a dash attack.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I see what you mean.I'm having a hard time getting spinshoting down.How can I practice aerials?Just do it on training dummies then other people?

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Wow. Much better dude, very nice. everything about this video is better. I have only two recommendations,
first, Kirby (and jiggles and MK and pit and charizard and ddd) can't really be gimped with the spring unless they've already used all their jumps. try homing attack instead, although if they air dodge it you're screwed (come to think of it I'm at a loss for a perfect solution. don't think there is one)
second, time your dash attacks sooner. sonic's dash A has a longer reach than most characters and you don't need to catch them at the beginning. In fact, you really don't want to hit them at the beginning of it at all.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I see what you mean.I'm having a hard time getting spinshoting down.How can I practice aerials?Just do it on training dummies then other people?
You could do that, except that humans DI and training dummies do not. I would suggest going on friend finder,r fighting as many people as you can and don't worry so much about winning, just practice your aerials. Sooner or later you should be able to do them correctly, making them flow and mesh with the rest of your play style.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
You used a very limited amount of moves, which was kind of annoying. You aren't going to gimp Kirby off the stage with your spring, so why not go for some aerials? He was in a good position for a bair into the side of the stage once or twice. There wasn't one nair the whole video, and barely any aerials at all in the entire match. I know it's harder on smaller characters, but you can't just give up half of your game. You were very predictable. Lucky for you, the Kirby sucked.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
That was significantly better than last time, i liked seeing your incorporation of the up-B spring as a projectile attack, as well your use up the up-B for aerial pursuit. I would use Sonic's 1-2-3 (A-A-A) combo more, its great for spacing. Also short hopped bairs are fantastic once you get the timing real smooth, you need to use more of them. One more thing, your Sonic moved around better this time, but I really think you need to take better advantage of Sonic's speed game, its his most valuable and important asset. If anything just dash around as quick as possible while rag dolling your opponent around the stage, its intimidating, and really shows of his insane speed.

Browny

Smash Hater
needs more dash attacks >_>

lol nah very good. only thing you should really change up was dash attacking him near the edge, far too often you did that and kirby simply turned around and smash attacked you from the ledge. maybe if you did it near the middle of the stage the dash attack will travel further than kirbys range, instead of pinning you to the end of the stage.

also i dont know if this would work, but i suspect once you see kirby using final cutter you could run right up to where he is about to land and spot dodge before he even falls down, giving you a free grab.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
When you come out of your spin dash you never aerial attacked. I have no idea why during a few times when a bair would have landed perfectly you opted for a homing attack. It seems to me that you're just using it mechanically instead of reacting to the situation.

Also, you use the spring as a gimp way too often. The few times you used it it really made no sense to me since either a dair or fair would have worked better.

One last thing, against a better opponent, your predictable use of your spin dashes would get you punished a lot. And as a matter of preference I wouldn't have opened the round with a spin dash. It's the time when your opponent has the clearest mind and you're basically just giving him a practice run for evading your spin dash and get used to its speed.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
You play a lot like I do, try to mix up your approach with either dash attack, grab, dash into homing attack right in front of opponent with decent spacing then hit em with homing after they realize its too late, or dash into up smash. Spin dash is a good tech, but don't do it too much, cuz all your opponent has to do to counter it is block. One of my favorite mind game attacks is dash and stop behind them then fsmash from behind with c-stick, get your opponent flustered and confused enough, and it work great. It's a little risky, specially if they're expecting it.(which they shouldn't if you got good mind games.)

Top Bottom