• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate my snake

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
First off: Round 2 at 3:33, Brilliantly executed Uair I was quite impressed.

On your gameplay though, I gotta say you have a pretty adept use of the grenade. I was impressed at how well you used it to limit his movements and at times punish his actions, but you tend to rely on the gambit of the opponent not paying attention when using it. Try cooking the grenades for a bit or pull one out when he charges and shield so the grenade explodes on the attack but you remain safe. I was disappointed at your lack of Nikita though, it's a great KO and Edgeguard tool if you practice with it right, and you wont have to risk ROB burning your face off when you chase him in the air.

Your C4 use, I was a bit perplexed by it. I noticed that you tend to burn through them quite quickly, as if you are using them defensively but hoping to KO with them. If you are doing what I think you are doing and trying to score KO's from it, try getting in close to stick it on the character instead of leaving it in plain sight for them to dodge. Wait for them to charge and powershield-stick it on them or try a Dthrow in order to techchase them for a stick. If you are trying to use them defensively, dont burn through them so quickly or else your opponent will read your actions. Just leave it there and pressure your opponent so they wont move far and you can use it if you get the chance to throw em there.

Your use of the Usmash to cover some of your bases was pretty nice, but I also noticed you tried to use it as a KO move as well. People can DI out of the way if you try to directly use it as a KO, so just stick with defensive purposes that way you can attain a KO if they try to gamble. If you want a KO that isnt just Ftilt, try Utilt or the more impressive Uair since they have outstanding knockback and you dont have to worry about them DI-ing out of the way. On the topic of Usmash, why arent you Mortar Sliding ( XD )? It's a really great defensive maneuver that also grants you great mobility as well. The dash attack also pops the opponent into the Mortar line of fire also so it's a great way to score KO's as well.

It's a fairly decent Snake, you just tend to be more blunt and less tricky. Constantly spamming grenades and burning though C4 was your demise since it gave your opponents a key thing to look out for. Try to mix it up that way he won't read you as easily.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Yea I usually just place C4 on platforms and use it to tech chase, but Sometimes I use it kinda like a third grenade. And I don't really use upsmash to kill persay, but if they are above me, the first thing I usually try and do is upsmash. And the reason I don't use mortar sliding is simply that I can't do it yet >_<. And the spamming was mostly to pressure the rob. This rob is probably the campiest player I've ever seen, so I was basically just trying to overwhelm him with explosives.

But yea I am really predictable like you said. I just havan't really explored much of the character beyond what I was using, so I do the things that have worked for me over and over again. things like the nikita I havan't really found uses for yet with the way I play so I don't use it yet.

saud

Smash Lord
Adding to what Jeff Highwind said, if Nikita doesn't suit your playstyle or you can't adapt to using it for edgeguards/KO them as they recover, I suggest you charge the up smash . I noticed that the up smash hits the ground before your opponent makes it back on stage. By charging the up smash, it will take it longer to land and of course have increased damage + knockback.

I personally use the Nikita, since it's a lot safer than following them in the air, but to differentiate my playstyle, I sometimes follow them and give'em a fair....most of the times I fail/get hit, but if it hits...it's too **** sexy....(back air works too of course.)

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I personally use the Nikita, since it's a lot safer than following them in the air, but to differentiate my playstyle, I sometimes follow them and give'em a fair....most of the times I fail/get hit, but if it hits...it's too **** sexy....(back air works too of course.)
I always screw with one of my friends by doing a platform KO with the Fair. He expects me to land the heel, only to be launched upwards in a fog of wtf-ness.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I was gonna say something insightful....then I read Jeff's post o.O.

However that was pretty good nade usage and I've never seen a Snake use C4 as fast/often as you. (Not that it's a bad thing, I think that's a pretty good defensive measure). Interesting.

I suppose all I can say is don't make it so easy for ROB to pummel you in the air. Air dodge a lot more often when you're falling down from cypher, or you'll keep getting knocked up again by his crazy nair. I play vs ROB often and they love their quick nairs/bairs :p.

Oh and Nikita edgeguarding is almost crucial against ROB's recovery. So yea use it! :D

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
geez...that's predictable play?? wow i'm in need of wayyyyy more practice..**** anyone know a good deal on wii's?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Haha now I feel bad, because I told the dude over AIM that you would elaborate more on my post. :laugh:
Nah lol, you pretty much had it covered. I would have given more ROB matchup info but Hostility, you seem to know how to handle ROB just fine minus a few tips I mentioned. That and the ROB I face is way more of an *** with projectiles and bair edgeguards T_T.

(on a side note, Jeff we must play wifi sometime :O)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
So long as we fight somewhere fun like Mario Kart or Halberd. I'm still somewhat irate that I fought some random dude on an IRC who used Sonic at Temple.
Oh...dear god...lol. No worries no lame stuff like that haha. Add me, I'll add you once I get home :)

Hostility

Smash Ace
I was gonna say something insightful....then I read Jeff's post o.O.

However that was pretty good nade usage and I've never seen a Snake use C4 as fast/often as you. (Not that it's a bad thing, I think that's a pretty good defensive measure). Interesting.

I suppose all I can say is don't make it so easy for ROB to pummel you in the air. Air dodge a lot more often when you're falling down from cypher, or you'll keep getting knocked up again by his crazy nair. I play vs ROB often and they love their quick nairs/bairs :p.

Oh and Nikita edgeguarding is almost crucial against ROB's recovery. So yea use it! :D
Yea I was playing a bunch today and now I can do dash attack to upsmash consistantly. I also use nikita a lot now by screening with constant grenades and c4. I'll try and record sometime soon to kinda show what I mean. But yea thanks for the advice guys.

Top Bottom