• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Sheik!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Your Sheik makes my eyes bleed.

Start over, rethink how you should use Sheik in Brawl.

…Your luck I didn’t post the long version of my “advise”

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Umm, not particularly correct. A few suggestions:
Approach more quickly, and don't do so with ftilts unless you're playing Wifi or something.
Use ftilt more often, as it's Sheik's most useful attack.
Edgeguard offstage more often.
Don't use dair.
Aerial needles can't be abused any more.
I see you do a lot of rapid jabs and dtilt. If you really want to play systematically, the proper things to spam are ftilts to nair/fair and spotdodge dsmash.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Like ankoku said, aerial needles cant be abused, but can still gimp recoveries (ask wolf :laugh:). Anyway, you have to understand that sheik needs to be played alot differently now. Best of luck! :lick:

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
i like people who think your playing wrong if you dont play like anyone else.

all i really have so say it about your jabbing.

KEEP IT UP i do the same thing and if anyone tells you you should use something else ignore them.

in the marth video you got a free what 40%? by jabbing? some people just think if they wait long enough they will get out of it and by the time they realize oh crap i actually have to MOVE out of it the match is turned in your favor.

dont be afraid to jump off the stage your moves come out faster and they have to worry about dealing with you AND recovering. =D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've been told I play unusual, but that doesn't give me the right to expect dair to work and throw aerial needles hoping people won't punish my extreme landing lag. There's different, and then there's incorrect.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
i like using D-air it just isnt wise to use it while they are near/on the ground.

its real situational. i used it to get a few free hits on a metaknight who was jumping upwards to try to knock me off the top of the stage.

if you use it everytime your coming down your going to get punished but once in awhile =D

i agree with needles though theres certain right and wrong thing when it comes to it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
dair does have good priority and beats non disjointed hitboxes most of the time, but thats really it's on'y pro it's not a move that you want to use often. I use it to desend quickly becaus eshiek has so few options when above an opponent.

Over I'm agreeing with what these guys are saying. you are emmy, so I know you've dabbled with peach, they are essentailly the same character and can pretty much be played very similarly. fair, nair, bair, they all have the same properties as shieks moves so it is safer to spam them on shields than a lot of other moves you come across assuming you space well. bair is my personal favorite since it has the most range of the three as well as the best shield stun I believe.

you can use aerial needles if you want but you must must must full jump and double tap B as soon as your finger is off the jump button, you'll land with no lag. You won't get a grab off of it like melee obviously, but you don't leave yourself open. Ground needles are very very good they rack up a lot of damage slow approached and if you use them well they can't easily be countered. 18-12 damage for waiting till some one misses and aerial is always good.

Your ground game isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be in my opinion, the big problem I guess is it is all you take advantage of in shiek. dtilt is okay but situational save it for aerial approaches and way out there shiek pokes, in situations where you want to just put presure ftilt is a better option it hits faster and ends sooner, it combos into itself and other aerials.
jab in my opinion is shieks best move next to needle you are doing fine with that .
Forward smash is good if you know you are going to connect, but don't use it like falco's or wolf's fsmash, it isn't very quick and it is easy to punish. dash attack is probably what you are looking for in that department, easy to punish but if you do it out of idle is isn't expected and hard to counter and has very very good range.

If you want to progress with her just keep working on her.

And I still want to play you. :(

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
Jab only does so much... once your opponent starts to DI out of it ... then you're back to square one sadly. I say use your aerials more and take advantage of your lagless aerials so you can do some jab combos more effectively.

but while youre here, wanna tell us sheik mainers what are some stupid things sheiks do against your olimar and how you deal with them and some things we should avoid doing? :]

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Some stupid things some Sheiks do that you should avoid: Getting spiked 3 times in one match, switching to Zelda when they don't know how to sweetspot the kick (or do anything with her for that matter)..

As for how to beat Olimar with Sheik, ask Cobra. I know he's lurking in this topic somewhere.. *waves*

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
"Cr*p...she found me..."

...errr...I mean "HI EMMY!...Welcome to the Sheik forums...topic...place...yeah."

So anyways, since I've already given Emmy my piece on her Sheik, I'll just answer imdavid's question. However, I'll also post the question and answer in Ankoku's matchup thread.

Upon Emmy's advice : How I fight Olimar with Sheik

Problems :

- Olimar is a tricksy little jerk. His smash attacks come out a lot faster then you'd think they would since it doesn't require a Pikmin to fully return before sending another out.

- When Sheik is at low damage and thrown down, it can easily lead to a string of aerial combos that will rack your damage up FAST.

- His grab range is long and fast. This makes approaching from the ground extremely difficult.

- Super Armor. F*ck that whistle. What's that? USmash Tipper at 150%?...yeah Olimar doesn't care, he'll whistle land and USmash you off the screen without blinking.

...essentially the biggest problem I face when fighting an Olimar is spacing. A good Olimar will keep you well spaced and afraid of him, and we all know how good Sheik's approach game is. Whenever Olimar is on the ground I consider him to have a zone in a semi-circle around him where he's safe. In front of him, he can grab, DSmash, or FSmash safely...behind him, he has a DSmash to protect, and above him, he's got in range for an USmash or a short-hopped aerial (and you want to avoid is UAir attacks at all costs, since they are brutal.)

Advice :

- Get his b*tch *** in the air! Olimar is by no means weak in the air, but Sheik stands a MUCH better chance against him in an aerial battle then on the ground. If you can get inside his zone, grab hima nd get him in the air. (I suggest Backthrow, as it puts you in range of a BAir or two)

- Stay underneath him, or behind...His aerials are good, but Sheik is faster.

- Anticipate the whistle. Mind games people. Jump to a vanish works WONDERS against a whistling Olimar. More often then not, this avoids the first few frames of the whistle's SAF and will send them flying. Otherwise, jump, wait, attack...adapt. Read their patterns and react accordingly...once you see how an opponent whistles, it's easy to wait for it and then throw your aerial.

- Don't rush him. A.k.a. "Don't walk into the ****". His zone of defense is too strong to just walk into, he's got too much range and his attacks are too fast. I suggest getting in, Spot dodge to a FTilt lock, then followed with a NAir into a string of attacks that wills end him off the edge.

- Needles are you friend. they have better range then his Pikmin. Now the Pikmin have hit boxes, so not all of the needles will make it, but it won't take long for the Olimar to get fed up and move into an attack, which is allowing you to control the situation, not him...and that is always good.

- Best/Most Obvious advice : Gimp his insanely gimpable save. Sheik's aerials = Awesome. Aerial him off the edge and keep him there. Be wary of throw purple Pikmin though, and cling to that ledge till the bitter end, but be READY, that chain will often times bounce you off the stage and at high damage, this can be dangerous. (Though I would easily take a high damage death to gimp an Olimar's save.

...this is in my opinion also better then having to switch to kill with Zelda, but if you're up against a wall and the Olimar is super good with that whistle, Zelda's multi-hit attacks are natural counters to his super armor frames. Use your best judgment.

- Don't play Emmy on Pictochat. Seriously...it's dangerous.

Comments?...Questions?...

Top Bottom