• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

>Rate my Luigi< 3new vids: 3/13/07

Raves

Smash Apprentice
hello.

please rate/ critique my luigi :)

any comments/tips/critizism are much aprreciated

all matches are against the same person, Nemesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9qQjPBNUU (luigi vs Ganon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH_e5kPCqkA (luigi vs cf)

NEW!!!:
(finally got a chance to upload these... they're about a month old same as the top 2, but its better than nothing.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zFhEhtrCF0 (luigi vs falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbRKdSicaOI (luigi vs fox)1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwPMdNvct8 (luigi vs fox) 2 <this is why fox is gay.
more later.. its like 4am O.O

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Alright, normally I'm way too lazy to give input on peoples vids due to my computer being as useful as a rock, but eh.

Okay, soo, first off, hmm...that was a pretty nice 4-stock...though it would be a lot easier to actually rate your Luigi based on some..ahh..better matches? I mean...unless of course you consistantly 4 stock that Ganon? In which case...props. But yeah, you should post another match, so there's more to be able to recognize. That 4 stock was a bit too quick.

But anyways, as for the match, I loved the part at around 40 sec. XD That was way too good. Ganon got the big dead.

Annnd, let's see here...alrighty, you should definately try to start ledge-dashing more. There was a part in the match where you got up with just a neutral get up from the ledge like 4 times in a row, then finally did the auto-jump up from the ledge, then Ganon forward air-ed you. Ledgedashing will solve all of those problems and more. Though it does have a pretty high risk. Meaning you should probably just do the easier, shorter ledgedashes untill you can get nice length ones. You might get punished every now and then for the shorter ones, but I gaurantee it will be worth being able to do the full length ones later.

Secondly, you should use more short-hop double aerials. Like...a lot. They're extremely useful and can really kill shields. Just make sure you space them properly. (Which usually means DI away from the opponent while doing the 2nd aerial)

Alright, next, I noticed you used the full jab combo into a d-smash quite a bit? That's a pretty good tactic, though I'd advise you to use just the first part of the jab combo, and then either go for a d-smash or a quick grab. The full jab combo has too much lag and tends to push Luigi away after the 3rd hit.

Lastly, tell the Ganon to work on his spacing XD. Ganon's aerials go through just about everything Luigi has when spaced and timed properly. And he also seemed to have...questionable DI. DI up = live good.

Soo yeah, you really have a nice Luigi, you should totally post at least one more match. That way we'll be able to see more of your mindgames and such.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Like ol' Kammy-cakes said, work on your match posting skills.

There are 3 different things to gain out of posting matches, and different ways to go about each.

1: Get a reputation
a: Beat well-known people in matches that matter
2: Get criticism
a: Post matches where both players perform at their best
b: Post matches against people around your skill level
c: Post matches where both players perform their worst
d: Post matches where both players perform the way they usually do.
(D and B are probably your best options, but A and C are better than four stocking a ganon with luigi, which is like impossible unless super flukes happen or ganon is an ultra nub)
3: Get fanboys (NOT RECCOMENDED)
a: Show off amazing tech skill
b: Use cool music

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Geez, I didn't realizethere was this whole process to posting matches...

...Hey,do youthink they'll make it so that you can record your matches in SSBB, and then post them on the Internet?

Eggz

Smash Hero
Not likely. Wii's dont have massive storage, so you couldn't directly upload and store them from the Wii itself. Also I doubt nintendo gives a crap about the professional crowd, since they are crapping up Brawl.

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
i likez the video, but yarg lets see more matches

Raves

Smash Apprentice
TO Brawlmatt202:
thanks, but im not that great. ka master is wayyyy better. ;)

To Luigi Ka-master:
yea, i need to upload more matches. this was the only recent one i had, but im going to upload more soon... probably by sunday or monday. my friend doesn't really main ganon, but hes usually better then this. there will be other matches against his better characters.

that part @ 40secs was one of the main reasons i wanted to upload the match :)

i'll work on the legde-dash. im just always scared to SD >_< i'll also work on the short-hop double aerials. hmm... the 1st part of the jab.. i always just like the full combo cuz if they shield, it'd push me away from grab range sometimes. i'll work on this too tho.

again, ganon's not his main, but he's usually better than this. he'll do better in the other vids i post up.

thanks for taking the time to rating my luigi. you were one of the people who made me pick up luigi so i really appreciate your input. thanks again.

To Eggz:
1. i wouldn't mind getting a rep, but i really wanted #2
2. i wanted criticism. more matches soon! and hes not ultra nub, hes better.. you'll see in the other matches
3. fanboys... ehh. not really into getting fan boys. wouldn't mind tho. lol. and i like using cool music :( just not in this one cuz my friend uploaded it.
4. you have an awesome mario. i liked your combo vid.

To ppa0:
thanks. i'll post more vids soon. nice combo vids.

yea.. more matches soon so u guys can give me better critique. thanks.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the 1st part of the jab.. i always just like the full combo cuz if they shield, it'd push me away from grab range sometimes

if you mix up single jab and double jab, they won't be able to grab you anyway (it takes very precise timing to grab you between a jab and a dsmash or grab), the dsmash will also push you away from their shield, and a grab (if you're fast enough) will obviously beat their grab

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Not likely. Wii's dont have massive storage, so you couldn't directly upload and store them from the Wii itself. Also I doubt nintendo gives a crap about the professional crowd, since they are crapping up Brawl.
...Oh. :ohwell:

...Still, Brawl looks cool, right?

shoe

Smash Ace
Nice Luigi, I'm not really an expert or anything, but just some things I noticed.

Use less rolling, you only got daired out of it like once, but it was quite predictable. The thing on the edge was quite predictable as well, if you don't dare to wavedash, there is also roll, you used jump too, but that's probably the most easy to punish get-up. Try wavelanding after aerials more, you used it, but at times could have continued to combo him and you didn't do it.

And btw, I loved your abuse of Ganon's horrible recovery :p

Raves

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the comments guys =D. i finally got the chance to get more vids.. i only uploaded one new one so far cuz im in a rush.. the rest will be up by tonite probably. its in the first post so check it out.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
whow pretty nive batlle, but i think u gotta play with somebady of ur lvl, that gannon isnt on ur skill level, but u play pretty good but u got some mistakes at the time of get to the field again when ur hanging from the edge. Practive and send more vids, ill try to send from vids from here Venezuela so u guys rate me plz..

C 3

Smash Ace
Great stuff, you have good edge guarding, good use of tilts and you make good use of aerials from the edge, among other good qualities. On the other hand, I noticed a few things not so great:

1.) You rolled a bit too much. You avoided the attacks well, but with other players I don't think you would have been so lucky.

2.) You were a bit too idol, as a luigi player, you should keep moving and make good use of wavedashing. Also make good use of dash dancing.

3.) No offence to the ganon, but I would like to see you face a tougher opponent. At about 00:21, he could have easily grabbed the ledge and you would have lost a stock. More balanced match up skill wise.

4.) Try not to stand in one spot and wait for the attack to come and shield: side dodge or wave dash forward then back and attack.

5.) More tornado usage, great way to break away from the opponent.

Keep up the good work!

3GOD

Smash Ace
Against CF, you should be doing up-throw as opposed to down throw...you did seem to figure this out near the end of the match. Up-throw against fast fallers leads to chaingrab/downsmash and more. I actually love up-smash after up-throw against CF, and you can often get two up-smashes in a row followed by an aerial. Basically you should get a good 40-50% from a grab against him.

Only one other thing - the tornado recover could have given you that extra little boost for a couple of lives, and don't be afraid to charge the missile for a little bit...if you hit the wall it reduces the lag I am pretty sure.

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
i dont know about... "if you hit the wall it reduces the lag I am pretty sure"
but tornado recovery is a must

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Good ground fighting skills, but there are two things I noticed that need to be changed:

1. Use Luigi Cyclone recovery. It really helps when you're just a little ways away from the edge at which you can't sweet spot with B^ and are too low to use another Green Missile.
2. Charge your Green Missile rather than using uncharged ones during recovery. You could have easily survived those falls in the second video.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
but i think u gotta play with somebady of ur lvl, that gannon isnt on ur skill level
what a joke.

Lastly, tell the Ganon to work on his spacing XD. Ganon's aerials go through just about everything Luigi has when spaced and timed properly. And he also seemed to have...questionable DI. DI up = live good.
Geez, my DI isn't THAT bad... Those kills were just WHACK.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Unfortunately, by posting any video on the internet at all, even in a topic called "Rate my Luigi," ALL of the competitors will be scrutinized and criticized for ALL possible faults. Keep an open ear, but don't worry about match-specific incidents. Most SmashBoards-borne criticism is highly overvalued.

PRO LUIGI

Smash Rookie
how do u video tape what ur playing?, i want pplz 2 rate me 2, ur good really good. ill give 8/10

Raves

Smash Apprentice
hey everyone, sorry i havn't posted in so long. i guess i was on a smash break cause there were things i had to deal with first. this is my 1st time on the posts since my last post. >.< sorry to keep you guys waiting.

whow pretty nive batlle, but i think u gotta play with somebady of ur lvl, that gannon isnt on ur skill level, but u play pretty good but u got some mistakes at the time of get to the field again when ur hanging from the edge. Practive and send more vids, ill try to send from vids from here Venezuela so u guys rate me plz..
thanks. his skill level is actually better then mine. i put the ganon vid up cause i was playing well and i liked the part at :44secs =D. i really need to learn how to ledgedash. im working on it.

Great stuff, you have good edge guarding, good use of tilts and you make good use of aerials from the edge, among other good qualities. On the other hand, I noticed a few things not so great:

1.) You rolled a bit too much. You avoided the attacks well, but with other players I don't think you would have been so lucky.

2.) You were a bit too idol, as a luigi player, you should keep moving and make good use of wavedashing. Also make good use of dash dancing.

3.) No offence to the ganon, but I would like to see you face a tougher opponent. At about 00:21, he could have easily grabbed the ledge and you would have lost a stock. More balanced match up skill wise.

4.) Try not to stand in one spot and wait for the attack to come and shield: side dodge or wave dash forward then back and attack.

5.) More tornado usage, great way to break away from the opponent.

Keep up the good work!
thanks. =D
1. yeah, rolling a lot is a bad habit of mine.
2.hmm.. i'll keep that in mind next time i play.
3. he is good. he wins most of the matches between us. i'm going to upload more vids soon and you guys can see.
4. yeah, i need to try to work wavedashing back/forward into my game.
5. i've been starting to use it more, so no worries there. :)

Against CF, you should be doing up-throw as opposed to down throw...you did seem to figure this out near the end of the match. Up-throw against fast fallers leads to chaingrab/downsmash and more. I actually love up-smash after up-throw against CF, and you can often get two up-smashes in a row followed by an aerial. Basically you should get a good 40-50% from a grab against him.

Only one other thing - the tornado recover could have given you that extra little boost for a couple of lives, and don't be afraid to charge the missile for a little bit...if you hit the wall it reduces the lag I am pretty sure.
yeah, i don't know why i downed threw so much. lol. (shrug) guess i wasn't thinking. my tornado recovery really sucks. =X. i actually lose height when i do it. lol.

i dont know about... "if you hit the wall it reduces the lag I am pretty sure"
but tornado recovery is a must
i think it reduces lag too. cause everytime i hit the wall i kno i can make it up, but when i slighty miss the wall, i tend not to be able to make it. i really need to work on my tornado recovery cause it really sucks. T_T

Nice..I loved 00:44 and like everyone else said put up some new matches.
thanks. vids soon.

dang u got a pretty obnoctious luigi. good combos..
lol. thanks.

I agree with this guy, you've got the makings of an awesome smasher!
thanks man.

Good ground fighting skills, but there are two things I noticed that need to be changed:

1. Use Luigi Cyclone recovery. It really helps when you're just a little ways away from the edge at which you can't sweet spot with B^ and are too low to use another Green Missile.
2. Charge your Green Missile rather than using uncharged ones during recovery. You could have easily survived those falls in the second video.
thanks. my cyclone recovery... is really bad, so i tend to not use it. the green missile, i always thought when you were high you use it in short bursts, then when youre about stage level you charge? (shrug)

how do u video tape what ur playing?, i want pplz 2 rate me 2, ur good really good. ill give 8/10
you need to get a video capture card or something like that. there should be a thread in the video section.

Raves

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, would you like me to tell you how to 5stock him? Your Lui was fine lol.
lol thanks. and yes, i would.

Okay, i updated the first post with 3 new vids. im too lazy to upload the others.. because its like 4 in the morning O.O so imma go sleep now.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
The one with you versus Fox, you're awesome, but Fox is, like, insanely fast!

Also, I'd prefer fights without music played over them; I like the VG music better.

Raves

Smash Apprentice
The one with you versus Fox, you're awesome, but Fox is, like, insanely fast!

Also, I'd prefer fights without music played over them; I like the VG music better.
yeah, his fox is good. getting used to his speed (shrug). i got tired of hearing the games music T_T we hear it so much. lol. plus i like finding sounds that go with the fighting.

new vids guys... more critique please :)

Top Bottom