• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Rate My Kirby If You Would Kind Smashers~

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
Hello fellow Kirby fans,
Just want to get some opinions on my play style, general advice, or critique on my usage of the pink power puff, though I use the yellow smiley kirby.
Plz be constructive, nothing about quitting life....:(

I only have two videos, forgive the quality, both WIFI friendlies against pokemon trainer:

Kirby(Ari) vs Pokemon Trainer(Yuuki) 1

Kirby(Ari) vs Pokemon trainer(Yuuki) 2

Let me know what you think, thx in adance...:)

Pink murder

Smash Ace
You made some pretty good use of Bair ^^
Looks like you have most of the basics down, but i would work on your spacing and dodging. You could also mix up your approaches more. You only came in with Bairs and Dairs. Try coming in with Fairs a bit more, and i suggest using Nair more too. (You dont have to, because most kirby players dont, but in my opinion, its definitely worth trying out.) You can usually follow up a Nair with a Dtilt (Trip) into a Fsmash. Also, believe it or not, most people dont expect a Uair when your below them, so id try that more often too.
Excellent use of stone BTW, i would try using it more off the stage, like when your to far away from them to properly spike them. The stone will fall fast enough for you to hit ^^.

Other than that its really up to you. Just keep playing as him and you will find your own unique playing style.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You let Ivysaur's Bullet Seed do 46% damage to you near the beginning...this isn't so much a Kirby thing, but a general play tip: you were towards the left of the seeds, so press left on the control stick and hit left a few times on the C-stick, and your character will force its way out of multihit attacks like that.

lol at Ivysaur's first death

Rolldodging into your opponent is a good tactic if they're inexperienced, but against smart players, you will get hit or grabbed for rolldodging too much.

Use Stone very rarely, and add in some aerial Hammers to your arsenal: it's actually pretty hard to punish if you space well, and it can catch people by surprise.

k I finished match 1....good job, but that guy kept "running into the ****" as some might say. Play a more difficult opponent

And I don't remember seeing any grabs? Kirby's grabs are good, if you see an opportunity, go for it.

the other video isn't working for me right now >_> so yeah

Pink murder

Smash Ace
You let Ivysaur's Bullet Seed do 46% damage to you near the beginning...this isn't so much a Kirby thing, but a general play tip: you were towards the left of the seeds, so press left on the control stick and hit left a few times on the C-stick, and your character will force its way out of multihit attacks like that.

lol at Ivysaur's first death

Rolldodging into your opponent is a good tactic if they're inexperienced, but against smart players, you will get hit or grabbed for rolldodging too much.

Use Stone very rarely, and add in some aerial Hammers to your arsenal: it's actually pretty hard to punish if you space well, and it can catch people by surprise.

k I finished match 1....good job, but that guy kept "running into the ****" as some might say. Play a more difficult opponent

And I don't remember seeing any grabs? Kirby's grabs are good, if you see an opportunity, go for it.

the other video isn't working for me right now >_> so yeah
I agree on most of this.
I learned the rolldodging bit the hard way >.>
What i dont agree on is the stone. Stone is excellent for edgegaurding.

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
I agree on most of this.
I learned the rolldodging bit the hard way >.>
What i dont agree on is the stone. Stone is excellent for edgegaurding.
Yes I find the stone to be a great edgeguard, but I can see it becoming predictable when used too often or without thought. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try for more Fairs and Nairs. I just find it hard to hit someone with Nair and so I do not attempt it often.

@Asdioh - Thanks for the tips. I definitely know I do not use hammer enough. I will actively try to pull it out more often. I wish they had kept the Melee hammer, I liked that much better. As for grabs, I only attempt the 2 Fgrabs when they are at 0 damage, but I know I should use more throught then battle. I have played against different characters, its just that they are usually longer than 3 minutes..:( so I cannot upload them.

Thanks for the detailed critique, much appreciated...:)

Anyone else have something to add, though I think most of my faults have been covered.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
First time critiquing, wish me luck I looked at the second video

:28 Looks like he whiffed a ledge attack, you could have attacked out of the rock. Just because you messed up does not mean the exchange is over.

:56 Kirby grab combos make me drool.

1:02 A bair may have been a better decision instead of going for a second dair.

1:08 Predictable dair gets you spiked. Mix up your aerials more, they’re all effective until spammed.

1:09 You could have easily recovered from said spike anyway, but I forget to reverse my direction too so yea, just watch for that.

1:26 fair probably would have reached him

1:38 beautiful rock

2:19 Uair is great for rising positions.

2:40 more beautiful rocks.

Overall a well played game, but it’d be better to mix up the aerials, a bit more. I also would have liked to see more aggressive edge guarding, Kirby is great in the air and ivysaur has a tether. Great things will usually happen when you intelligently pressure your opponents both off and on the edge.

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
Thx GPeternity, your critique reflects what others have said that my approaches do seem a bit stale and predictable. I am actively trying Nairs, Fairs, and Hammers more. Yeah my rock game is good, but everything could use some improvement. On a side note, I do not edgehog, especially tether users during friendlies, but I do know how to.

Thx for everyone's help. I will try to get some more replays uploaded if I get any under 3 minutes. :)

MyCurse4Life

Smash Ace
Hello fellow Kirby fans,
Just want to get some opinions on my play style, general advice, or critique on my usage of the pink power puff, though I use the yellow smiley kirby.
Plz be constructive, nothing about quitting life....:(

I only have two videos, forgive the quality, both WIFI friendlies against pokemon trainer:

Kirby(Ari) vs Pokemon trainer(Yuuki) 1

Kirby(Ari) vs Pokemon Trainer(Yuuki) 2

Let me know what you think, thx in adance...:)
Your one great brawl I tell you what.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You yourself are pretty good outside of the random roll dodges done for no reason. Get a match taped with a better opponent and I'll be inclined to like, really critique you.
@My Curse
"Your one great brawl I tell you what"-Doesn't make any sense and isn't even a sentence. It was an ok game at best, crappy at worst. That PT was bad, and there was too much rolling for no reason=/='Great'.

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the additional comments, and please do not draw conclusions from PT's play; we all have off days and he is usually superb with PT. I play with a variety of people, and simply most matches run past 3 minutes, but I will try to obtain more. As for the roll dodges, its a part of my overall play not exclusive to kirby, I guess I just use it to throw off my opponent.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Thanks for the additional comments, and please do not draw conclusions from PT's play; we all have off days and he is usually superb with PT. I play with a variety of people, and simply most matches run past 3 minutes, but I will try to obtain more. As for the roll dodges, its a part of my overall play not exclusive to kirby, I guess I just use it to throw off my opponent.
Rolldodging at good people will almost never work evar. It's ok to do it going away from them unless they are fast/close enough to chase you.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
People generally seem to have given good advice so far.

Also, work on your spacing.

As for the rocks, way too many. I see comments saying you made good use of your rock, and while that was occasionally true, it was more that your opponent ran right into them/didn't bother to shieldgrab them.
In fact, he didn't punish ANY of your mistakes it seems. Try playing better opponents. It's easier to give critiques if you're playing someone of equal/greater skill than it is on a video of you ****** some scrub.

WAY too much onstage Final Cutter. That move is VERY easy to shield and punish due to the attrocious ending lag.

Your usage of hammer, the few times it was used, seemed instinctive and not actually based on whether or not it would hit your opponent. Try mindgaming your opponent into it if you're going to use it.

I wish they had kept the Melee hammer, I liked that much better.
HERESY! BLASPHEMY! BURN THE WITCH!

2 of the 3 pokemon have good B moves, so you could try to swallow them. Then again, I guess that kind of comes down to personal preference.

You also barely have any tilt usage. Try using them more, especially Utilt.

Finally, as others have said, you are generally too predictable, and also too agressive. A better opponent would punish that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
HERESY! BLASPHEMY! BURN THE WITCH!
Dude, the Melee hammer is epic. It's slow, but its range is long. The only problem is that you need to sweetspot it to KO.

But when you do, you'll get an incredibly low % KO.

I used it a few times when playing Melee this weekend, and since nobody expects it, it actually worked sometimes, and everyone watching made fun of the guy who got hit. XD

Nobody made fun of me because I was new to Melee, and more importantly, because I mained Kirby.

They probably knew I would **** them if they did Kirby dittos >_>

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
People generally seem to have given good advice so far.

Also, work on your spacing.

As for the rocks, way too many. I see comments saying you made good use of your rock, and while that was occasionally true, it was more that your opponent ran right into them/didn't bother to shieldgrab them.
In fact, he didn't punish ANY of your mistakes it seems. Try playing better opponents. It's easier to give critiques if you're playing someone of equal/greater skill than it is on a video of you ****** some scrub.

WAY too much onstage Final Cutter. That move is VERY easy to shield and punish due to the attrocious ending lag.

Your usage of hammer, the few times it was used, seemed instinctive and not actually based on whether or not it would hit your opponent. Try mindgaming your opponent into it if you're going to use it.

2 of the 3 pokemon have good B moves, so you could try to swallow them. Then again, I guess that kind of comes down to personal preference.

You also barely have any tilt usage. Try using them more, especially Utilt.

Finally, as others have said, you are generally too predictable, and also too agressive. A better opponent would punish that.
Well thx for the advice. I have been trying to use hammer more actively now and spacing as well. Yes I know someone would have punished my missed rocks or aggressiveness ; just in this case it is a friendly match with the intent on fun and general practice rather than just winning. No need to surmise the PT play, only my general play which I gather needs more tilts. I had quite a few matches last night, but yet again they were a bit long to replay save. Copy abilities I generally do not use unless its FALCON PUNCH or a projectile.

Dude, the Melee hammer is epic. It's slow, but its range is long. The only problem is that you need to sweetspot it to KO.

I used it a few times when playing Melee this weekend, and since nobody expects it, it actually worked sometimes, and everyone watching made fun of the guy who got hit. XD

Nobody made fun of me because I was new to Melee, and more importantly, because I mained Kirby.

Yeah I liked the melee hammer a lot, not the ground hammer as it is almost the same now, but the air version; great approach or close up stunner. It should have been kept..:)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Are we talking grounded or aerial? Aerial Melee hammer sucked...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
They both had their uses. Melee hammer as a surprise long-range KO move, aerial hammer as a hitstun combo thingy. It actually doesn't suck as much as I used to think. You make sure to land on the ground in the middle of it, and the hitstun should last longer than your landing lag, so you can follow with an uptilt or something.

But anyway, the Brawl hammer is better in pretty much every way. Especially since there's no hitstun now >_>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I would advise maybe a few SH Bairs and maybe a few Fairs in your approaching. =)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm sorry, but I cannot take a wifi match on Pirate Ship seriously, lmfao.

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but I cannot take a wifi match on Pirate Ship seriously, lmfao.
Oh hello there Kawaii Bunny, I was hoping to exhibit my Kirby skills in your tourney but unfortunately it was canceled. Yes its only as serious as a game can be, especially considering the issue of wifi.

I would advise maybe a few SH Bairs and maybe a few Fairs in your approaching. =)
Thank you, will and have been trying all the advice given; hopefully I can get more replays, but many times I find myself playing with other characters.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol too much bash on yuuki's PT
hes still a really good PT trainer >_>,chill out you guys
pirate ship is a fair stage,i don't see why it shouldn't be taken seroiusly,i can see the water maybe displeasing some pplz

needs more hammer ari lol

Top Bottom