• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my G&W

DualCats

Smash Ace
You're actually pretty good. It was awesome to see you play against Sethlon because I'm going to have to do that next weekend. Hopefully.

DualCats

Smash Ace
The one this weekend? Hell yeah. I already have a doubles partner, unfortunately, but we should get some games in. And record them; I'll have my setup with me. :D

j00t

Smash Champion
I only watched your game vs. Sethlon. The main problem I saw is that you messed up your approach with fair several times. Approaching with fair is kind of bad anyways, it's extremely punishable especially against long grab range characters like Roy and Marth. Combine that with missing l-cancels and you're asking to get punished :p

The best times to use fair against Roy and Marth are when he's higher than you on the stage. Sethlon seems to be a really ground-based Roy (atleast in this match) so I think it would have been better to bait aerials or approach with dtilt. dair can also work after you've baited an aerial or a laggy ground move.

Oracle

Smash Master
Thanks for the help. I have some more matches that got recorded from the tourney this weekend. I wish i could say they were better than the last batch but i was kind of sick and tired when i played /johns.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Ok, so I watched your match vs UTDZac's Peach, and here were my observations:

It was a pretty bad idea to run in at the start of the match and shield, even worse that it wasn't a light shield. You're really lucky that it didn't get poked at all during that big block string. You threw in some nice punishing bairs. You probably realized yourself that you should not CC against Peach. I don't know if you were possibly going for CC>dtilt, but imo, against Peach, it's not worth the huge damage you risk receiving unless you're at low %'s and Peach is at death %'s. As j00t said for your other match, you need to approach w/ fair less. Avoid jumping into Peach when she's on a platform above you; they just dsmash. :/ You're probably better of utilting or SH nairing under them. Also, I really think you should light shield more. It prevents poking and it gets you out of bad pressure. I noticed you also threw out a lot of attacks like fair, bair, and fsmash when the situation was at neutral (beginning of your second stock). You weren't punished, but the lag from those moves is quite punishable. One thing you should work on is mixing up your ledge recovery game. You got up with ledghop fair quite a few times and some of those were punished. At 1:50, your shield almost got poked by her dair cuz you chose not to light shield (again), and it led straight to a nair actually poking your shield, followed up with a dsmash. At 2:36, you threw out a nair and an fsmash, both of which could have been punished by the Peach from the close proximity at which she was floating (although, this Peach seemed pretty bad at actually punishing mistakes and following thru with successful hits). The last 30 seconds of the match were you monotonously using almost solely fair with very little actual reward. I really liked your movement, though. Was real smooth. Nice match! ;)

Arikaitz

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osDH...DvjVQa1PpcFOCsu3SWZR-weddycqXjUlWR-GBQp0dg_4=

This was the video that I saw.

What you really need to work on is your defensive skills and your rebounds. You are falling for some of the most transparent attacks, which could be easily avoided with a dodge roll or a barricade followed by a jump attack. You're also quite the one-trick pony. You keep repeating the same tactics over and over again, and it has become very obvious what you are comfortable and not comfortable doing. Sethlon seems to be a smart guy, he was easily able to target your weak spots and hit you where it hurts. You need to stop toying with the opponent and give every battle all that you've got! Work on your offensive rebounds especially, because they really suck. Keep your opponent on their toes at all times, try not give them hints at what you're planning to do. You're a good fighter, keep working at it!

EDIT: Oh crap you were Sethlon weren't you....well in that case you were great! Disregard everything else I said! I'm in awe at how good you are!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osDH...DvjVQa1PpcFOCsu3SWZR-weddycqXjUlWR-GBQp0dg_4=

This was the video that I saw.

What you really need to work on is your defensive skills and your rebounds. You are falling for some of the most transparent attacks, which could be easily avoided with a dodge roll or a barricade followed by a jump attack. You're also quite the one-trick pony. You keep repeating the same tactics over and over again, and it has become very obvious what you are comfortable and not comfortable doing. Sethlon seems to be a smart guy, he was easily able to target your weak spots and hit you where it hurts. You need to stop toying with the opponent and give every battle all that you've got! Work on your offensive rebounds especially, because they really suck. Keep your opponent on their toes at all times, try not give them hints at what you're planning to do. You're a good fighter, keep working at it!

EDIT: Oh crap you were Sethlon weren't you....well in that case you were great! Disregard everything else I said! I'm in awe at how good you are!
Ummm, no offense, but you're really new it seems, so you should probably try to ask a couple Q's first before critiquing someone else. G&W's roll is almost as bad as Samus's, if not worse. You never really want to do it. This problem is accentuated by the fact that G&W doesn't have a shield. Thus, you want to stay on the move to remain safe. I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "barricade," "rebound," and "jump attack" but a lot of the other stuff you said are really general things that any Smasher worth his salt knows to apply to his game. For the most part, I think people that need critique want specific advice based on the vids that they posted. Btw, how did you get the idea that he was Sethlon, especially if he's asking for tips on improving his G&W in a thread titled "Rate my G&W" in the G&W forum? :facepalm:

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I played you online a long time ago.

You did a pretty good job playing offensive in your videos; less using the fairs. A improvement to your Game and Watch would be by adding retreating aerials; I only saw five of them in all of the videos. You did a couple of retreating aerials in your videos but you didn't know where you were going with them or what would come from them;except one successful retreating aerial(where you jumped back and fair-ed Falcon when he tried to jump towards you with an aerial); and ended up getting punished for them. If you can jump forwardly with an attack, and you can also jump backwards with one then why not also making it a move? Realize the situations where you should use retreating aerials plus be rewarded for them. Even if the retreating aerial does one percent, it is not about the percentage, the change that a small thing can do counts more; get my perspective?

On both Falcon/Roy depending on percentage, you can upthrow/dthrow to dair to regrabs/uptilts.

Good match against Sethlon.
---------
-btw...my post time usually ends up having a 9.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
maybe dair your opponent's shield instead of fairing all day to prevent getting hit out of shield as much (my friend complains all the time about the 2nd dair hitbox that comes out when you land). If you do fair their shield, then either do it really late or space it to avoid the shieldgrab :/. Also IMO short hopped bairs are really bad because they can't be l-cancelled and you do quite a few vs the peach. If you are gonna use bair do full hopped autocancelled ones.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Or edgecancel the bairs. Also, dairs on an opponent's shield can be a decent mixup, but at the end of the day, they can still be shieldgrabbed quite easily. I would just avoid attacking their shield at all with anything other than jab or dtilt. That's just me being really conservative, though...

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
Nahh ive got some great shield pressure ideas with GW :p like spaced fair to pivot dair thats DI'd so you land behind your opponent's shield....I haven't tested this out yet so i'll confirm is this actually works :/

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
yeah you fair in front of them and then pivot so you turn around and then dair through them so that you land behind them. I think GW has enough aerial mobility to cover the necessary distance in a SH...

Top Bottom