• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my friend's ICs, yes.

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman
Meh, we're both scrubs/casuals that might be going to tourneys soon, so we sorta want to improve... he hasn't found a main yet but he's interested in the IC's, SO CRITIQUE AWAY@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr3plBLoReU&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnztgbKQvuM&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wNGXfrGvk&fmt=18

Edit, Him: I just started using him, I wasn't playing seriously (Know it was stupid of me,) And I was grabbing a lot 'cause I wanted to practice cging, and I don't have a Wii.

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
Good for a beginner, but overall compared to the rest of the IC mains, he's horrible. I wouldn't recommend him using IC unless he is giving full dedication to them, and constantly visiting the IC boards.

smaci92

Smash Lord
I only had time to watch the 1st video for now and this is what I can say:
he can work on his desynching some more...but I guess everyone needs to work on that--unless he likes to play his IC's synced. but he can have a better advantage if they're desynched IMO.

he can learn some more reliable combos. he was trying to make his grabs hit the whole game, and I think he got sort of punished for this because the fox was shorthopping the whole game (lol) to avoid his grabs.

I would recommend training himself to play without grabs for a while just to get better with the rest of their moves, then gradually let the grabs come in...

that's basically what i have to say after watching the first vid.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
He grabs too much, he's running into attacks for a grab, he can't do basic CGs most of the time, too much Ice Blocks up close.

He's horrible at playing ICs.

Dark Popo

Smash Cadet
Good for a beginner, but overall compared to the rest of the IC mains, he's horrible. I wouldn't recommend him using IC unless he is giving full dedication to them, and constantly visiting the IC boards.
Yeah, ^ good saying.

He should stick to playing them until he learns about them, then post videos.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Wow... That Ice Climber needs some work...

He tries to grab so much and even so he doesn't even do much with it (messes up a lot with down throw to fair)... I would have that be the first thing he should work on.

nasir123

Smash Ace
well we all know that ice climbers is all about grabbing but you are sacrificing a lot of your life by trying to grab my advice is to use blizzard and since fox was a fast faller he should tried to chain more

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
well we all know that ice climbers is all about grabbing but you are sacrificing a lot of your life by trying to grab my advice is to use blizzard and since fox was a fast faller he should tried to chain more
i am so sick of everyone saying that. there is more to ics than just cgs.

not going off on you nasir, its just something that bothers me....

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
Strictly grabbing doesn't add anything to your game. Even if you're mixing it up with different grabs, your opponent will quickly expose it as a weakness.

As far as I can see, it's something to work with. A game someone could easily improve upon. Not only can the chains be worked on to be more effective and more efficient, more combo's and non-grabbing tactics can be incorporated. I don't think comparing him to many of the IC mains really works here, though. Everyone starts somewhere. It's not like there's a train to catch.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
I'm not an ice climbers main or anything, but I don't think the problem is with his ice climbers as a character . Like his faults aren't that he doesn't chain grab well, or that he's not using the right moves (actually that last one is true... but anyway).. He seems to be restricting himself to how he thinks he should play. He doesn't seem to be spacing himself well with his opponent.
One thing character specific I would say is that he (like a number of ICs) tries to grab too much when it's not the best move to do.When he successfully grabbed fox at high %'s he did the same dthrow to Nana's fair. Couldn't he have charged an upsmash with Nana and killed fox then and there?

For improving, I would advise that he reads just a little bit on Smash theory and just how to approach the game in general. THEN work on character specifics :D

Binx

Smash Master
tell him to block more, and to try implementing short hop blizzards into his gameplay, he just overall needs to play smarter, don't even worry about desynching and stuff right now, just have him work on being patient and making you attack him.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I'm not an ice climbers main or anything, but I don't think the problem is with his ice climbers as a character . Like his faults aren't that he doesn't chain grab well, or that he's not using the right moves (actually that last one is true... but anyway).. He seems to be restricting himself to how he thinks he should play. He doesn't seem to be spacing himself well with his opponent.
One thing character specific I would say is that he (like a number of ICs) tries to grab too much when it's not the best move to do.When he successfully grabbed fox at high %'s he did the same dthrow to Nana's fair. Couldn't he have charged an upsmash with Nana and killed fox then and there?

For improving, I would advise that he reads just a little bit on Smash theory and just how to approach the game in general. THEN work on character specifics :D
then get out. we know what he needs to work on. and i take offense at the assumption that EVERY IC MAIN spams grabs. we aren't mindless jack ***** who use them just for cgs. yes, cgs can be a good part of ic play, but its not the only part. every half decent ic main will tell you the same, that only noobs, or ***** who just want to cg spam grabs. i find it very insulting to have my main generalized as cg-oly character.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Hi Hente! O.o

He tries to grab too much, he sometimes desynchs and when he tries to grab his timing was a bit off.. on the third video, I think he did better than the other two videos.

Nuff' said, I don't know what to say anymore. O.o

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
hokay... well... if he is going to try and grab that much.... he should definitely learn to rack up a bit more damage with grabs... only doing 2 in a row is not good.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
then get out. we know what he needs to work on. and i take offense at the assumption that EVERY IC MAIN spams grabs. we aren't mindless jack ***** who use them just for cgs. yes, cgs can be a good part of ic play, but its not the only part. every half decent ic main will tell you the same, that only noobs, or ***** who just want to cg spam grabs. i find it very insulting to have my main generalized as cg-oly character.
Actually, its obvious to anybody who plays smash brothers things he was doing wrong. It wasn't a character specific thing what he was doing wrong (which was the main point in my critique)
Also, just because I don't main Ice climbers doesn't mean I don't know about them. But if he was a player who had the basics down and had only advanced Ice climber specific problems, I probably would have left it to the pros to rate him.

I didn't say every IC main spams grabs. I've seen a lot of great IC players that don't DEPEND on it. I merely stated that a number of them that I've seen (probably not even a majority) tries to grab WAY too much and in situations when they shouldn't. I realize some other people call ice climbers a chain grab only character; I'm not in that camp.

Don't take offense. Just read what I'm actually saying.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Actually, its obvious to anybody who plays smash brothers things he was doing wrong. It wasn't a character specific thing what he was doing wrong (which was the main point in my critique)
Also, just because I don't main Ice climbers doesn't mean I don't know about them. But if he was a player who had the basics down and had only advanced Ice climber specific problems, I probably would have left it to the pros to rate him.

I didn't say every IC main spams grabs. I've seen a lot of great IC players that don't DEPEND on it. I merely stated that a number of them that I've seen (probably not even a majority) tries to grab WAY too much and in situations when they shouldn't. I realize some other people call ice climbers a chain grab only character; I'm not in that camp.

Don't take offense. Just read what I'm actually saying.
sorry for exploding. its just that when ever i get the 'ics suck. stick to cgs' crap i get angry. i pride myself on differentiating myself by not using cgs. to be labeled with the rest of the noobs who go around playing ics saying 'i main them for the cg's' and then can't even do them properly (not saying anything about the guy in the vids). i learned ICs by playing them like any other character in melee: timing and placement. i was a link main before i converted to ics and i brought a lot of my gameplay with me. i didn't even know about cgs until almost a year before brawl was announced. all of these new people coming in rushing fro the cgs are missing out on the core techniques of the ics.

i know that i've made these same complaints before, and i want to say its not targeted at anyone in specific.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
sorry for exploding. its just that when ever i get the 'ics suck. stick to cgs' crap i get angry. i pride myself on differentiating myself by not using cgs. to be labeled with the rest of the noobs who go around playing ics saying 'i main them for the cg's' and then can't even do them properly (not saying anything about the guy in the vids). i learned ICs by playing them like any other character in melee: timing and placement. i was a link main before i converted to ics and i brought a lot of my gameplay with me. i didn't even know about cgs until almost a year before brawl was announced. all of these new people coming in rushing fro the cgs are missing out on the core techniques of the ics.

i know that i've made these same complaints before, and i want to say its not targeted at anyone in specific.
I hear you man :D

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord

Lol, I didn't know what CG's were until I saw Virtualvoid's video, "Snowstorm," while searching around for the wobbling tech that people could do with the Ice Climbers in Melee (which I still couldn't figure out how to do...) two months after brawl came out...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Lol, I didn't know what CG's were until I saw Virtualvoid's video, "Snowstorm," while searching around for the wobbling tech that people could do with the Ice Climbers in Melee (which I still couldn't figure out how to do...) two months after brawl came out...
lol i tried wobbling.... i got it down for a little, but it still took me too long to get into it so i just dropped it. now the IC Freeze Glitch i got down. i wrote the smashwiki page on it (literally).

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
lol i tried wobbling.... i got it down for a little, but it still took me too long to get into it so i just dropped it. now the IC Freeze Glitch i got down. i wrote the smashwiki page on it (literally).
There is an explanation up!?! O_O YAY! ^_^
(Dashes off to smashwiki)
Edit one minute later: Wow, awesome. Thanks FrozenPopo. I never really knew how it was ever done. Just knew the glitch was there somehow...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
There is an explanation up!?! O_O YAY! ^_^
(Dashes off to smashwiki)
Edit one minute later: Wow, awesome. Thanks FrozenPopo. I never really knew how it was ever done. Just knew the glitch was there somehow...
i experimented so much with that thing that it was borderline insane. i got mario stuck between the stage and the background on the great fox. he just sort of floated away, i heard the explosion, and then he never came back. i had to do a double jump -> up b and paused the game so i could turn the camera to see him. just floating there. in an unearthly block of ice. with look of curious surprise on his face...

Top Bottom