• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Falcon**Edited more newer vids**

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
You're not bad, you seem to have pretty solid Falcon. A few things to work on would be:

Use more Nairs. I didn't see a single Nair in the entire match. Nair is great for approaching and combo starting, especially against Ganon. If you space correctly, you can't get shieldgrabbed.

A little less double jumping. It's okay every once in a while, but when you do it all the time it gets predictable. A slightly better opponent would've punished you, either by shieldgrabbing or jumping up and outprioritizing you with an aerial of his own. Ganon's aerials > Falcons, priority-wise. Try dashdancing into shffled aerials instead of DJing into them.

Also try using bairs to edgeguard. It's a bit more reliable than the stomp, which can be meteor canceled or ledgeteched.

:)

halfDemon

Smash Lord
You're Falcon is pretty good, but you're doing way too many full jumps and double jumps. I would really suggest shffling more, and full/double jumping less. I was quite surprised the Ganon didn't catch on punish your long air time and low priority with shffled UAirs.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Not bad.

0:27 is an example of something all Falcon's do that they have to stop doing.
Don't prolong ending a stock. I'm sure you could've gotten a knee there. Don't try to Uair-Knee, Nair-Knee, Nair-Uair-Grab-Uthrow-Uair-Nair-Grab-Dthrow-Raptor boost-Knee, or do anything fancy when just a KNEE will do. End your opponents stocks ASAP. No reason to take extra damage like the 16% you did (Not much, but over a game if you do it repeatedly, it can add up fast!)

Learn to chain Nairs. Nairs > Uairs vs Ganon at lower percentages.

Don't throw out so many aerials. I could tell exactly when you were going to attack because everytime you approached, you threw out an aerial. None of them were Nairs too! :D Be a bit more random. Maybe don't throw an aerial out! Maybe just ESH in front of him and see what he does. Gauge his reaction, note it, and assume he'll do it again later. Find a counter to what he's going to do and punish him for being predictible.

You also seem to be in love with the full jump FF double jump FF/LCed Knee. It's nice but if you keep doing it, you don't want to be facing a Ganon who knows the priority/range of his HUGE Uair. You have no double jump if you get hit with it during one of your fancy knee tactics.

Once again, goes back to what I was saying about unnecessary steps. Why waste a double jump to knee when a SHFFL will do? At least then you have your double jump if you get interrupted! Maybe he's shielding and you want to wear down his shield for an extra second so a knee might go through? So double jumping and all that crap seems like a good idea. Just grab... Uthrow into knee is **** at percentages in which your uncomboed knees are effective vs such a heavy character. BUT WAIT! What if he's shielding but you think he's going to just jab if you approach?! What if you might not actually land this knee... You might get grabbed and damaged a bit... Here's an idea that no one wants to hear as CF... Don't attack!

Captain Falcon is AMAZING at punishing mistakes. If your opponent isn't making one, don't try to punish him for one! There are times to be aggressive, but some people try to force combos out of their *** like they're darkrain or something. Be patient, wait for whiffed aerials. It seems your friend shields after missed aerials all the time, just sitting there. Or occassionally will to a backwards roll... Maybe keep note of those things

Overall, you're a solid player for sure. This review didn't really highlight a lot of good things you did, but trust me... There were some! I just want to try to help you improve rather than saying "HEY GOOD JOB KNEEING HIM OFF THE STAGE! WHEN HE FALLS OFF THE STAGE AND DIES, IT'S GOOD FOR YOU!" You know what you did right, I tried to point out some things you did that I thought could've maybe been touched up on.

Wow, loooong post. I hope you read all of it! Put up more vids when you get the chance, I'd like to see any improvements you guys make!

Also to the Ganondorf, you had pretty good spacing. Much better than expected, so kudos for that. Good punishing too with Jabs into Fairs after flubbed techs.

Good stuff from both of you.

audreyh

Smash Ace
work on grab combos.

anything and everything can be started with a grab against ganon.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
ARGH!!! i just rewatched that vid... i die so much by being nudged off and throwing an aerial... so embarassing...

Cups

Smash Ace
Good falcon, my advice is the same as the others. Only it seems that you attack too directly, but that might be your style. Ganon can punish the slightest mistake, so you need to make sure that you are carefully spacing with nairs and only throw a knee at the end of a combo or for mindgames. Great job, though.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Dash dance to grab. Play faster. Learn Falcon's movements.

Empty short hop. Obviously stop double jumping so much to stop. Stop raptor boosting so much. You did that waaaaay too often.

I don't know, just watch videos of other players.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i think the only thing angelobangelo hasnt stated was about u using raptor boosts at the wrong times, some were good, since the windup prevented shieldgrabbing, etc. but just re-watch ur vid, and look at the parts where he techs out of ur throws, before ur raptor boost even touched him, keep note of not doing those.

raptor boost = forward B just in case u dunno what im talking about.

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
your falcon is not that bad every one has already told you to stop double jumping and all that so really you have all the advice you need. but watch vids i like to watch isai vids cause his falcon amazes me so check it out.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Stop trying to do "moves" and techs. You need more of a plan for fighting Ganon, you can just throw stuff at him because he's big on outprioritizing and power. You had some good things going on, but you got beat because you overextended yourself and ended up in a bad spot. The trick of it is to be patient and spot for grabs alot, that'll keep him from turtling, which is much better for you.

If you're going to double jump like that, try coming down with an Nair so the second hit hits him, then dashdancing into either another Nair or a grab. It's a bit safter than just going zomg knee/bair kthx! You can also use Uair.

Try more fakeouts, some basic WD and roll jukes as well. Your defense is pretty meh, because you're always on offense and end up in bad spots. Don't overdo it, but learn what you can do for moving around and setting him up.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
You're about where I was six weeks ago. Not so good but you may have potential. You should be able to improve quite rapidly, methinks.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I agree with Angelo Bangelo. The point is to kill your opponent as much as possible. If somehow real early you can knock ganon off the stage. dair him to his death. If he techs it do it again. You can improve quite a bit on your speed. Go against a level 1 cpu and practice shffling (while attacking the character. ) on nuetral stages. There is more speed with falcon suprisingly. He's the fastest character in the game. With the combo's. A lot of them were missed. But if you can get a combo from 0 percent to whatever percent that will kill him with a knee. Great. But if he's ready to die and you give him this long combo like angelo bangelo also said than it's not cool. Oh yeah I found another person who loves green as much as me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Wow, the last match against the ICs was kind of embarrassing. . .I'll remember not to Falcon Punch when I'm on the edge of that stage transformation like that. :dizzy:

In general, you want to start incorporating dash-dancing into your gameplay and approaches. The nice thing about dash-dancing is that it helps you to control Falcon's speed and spacing. During the second match, you tried to combo w/n-air and just overshot Ganon by half the stage after hitting him with the 1st n-air. . .if you dash-dance properly, you can control speed/spacing much more efficiently so that kind of stuff doesn't happen as much (i.e. dash away, dash back + shffl'd n-air while DI'ing back).

Plus, dash-dancing opens up a ton of mindgames. DD'ing after d-throws to aid techchasing, or just approaching with DD'ing to keep the opponent guessing can help in producing a better grab game.

You also need to shffl more n-airs. N-airs are extremely central to Falcon's grab/combo game. Shffl'ing the first hit of the n-air leads to practically a guaranteed grab; shffl'd n-airs in general after d-throws can lead to more n-airs/u-airs. You know this--and don't forget that spacing with n-airs is pretty important during your approach routines.

Also, keep pressure on the opponent. There were times when you just stood there after a d-throw. . .techchase with d-airs, f-b's, and grabs if you can.

There's a bunch of other stuff I could say, mostly about character specific strategies against Ganon/ICs, but that really isn't relevant to improving Falcon. Just keep in mind to DD, shffl n-airs a lot more, and apply techchasing pressure, and your Falcon should improve.

Also, rolling with Falcon looks very uncool. :laugh:

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
Cpt. Falcon is capable of going 100X faster than that. I saw you just stay in one place on multiple occasions. All that running around doing shffld Nairs is not just for show. (well it shouldnt be) Its used to set them up for a grab, and we all know Falcons grabs are the best way to start a combo.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I only watched the second link so I'm critiquing that.

1. Move faster. WAY faster.
2. You rolled way too much.
3. You missed a LOT of grabs in the beginning. Became too predictable.
4. Dash Dance.

Top Bottom