• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Rate my bowser" Thread - Post YOUR bowser vids here

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Hey, I don't really know if theres a need for this, but if you guys manage to record yourselves playing go ahead and post it here and me and the others will rate you and give specific advice for you...

a good way to use this thread

say you asked for advice vs a falco player in the "ask gimpyfish" thread and i gave general advice but it didn't really help THAT much, well go ahead and record a match vs something you have trouble with, nothing can help us help you like a little visual aid.

Just post vids you want rated here, if you want help or critiques or something this is your thread.

E_funK_009

Smash Cadet
ill b getting some matches up as soon as my friend gets the CAMERA WORKING AGAIN *cough*

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Fuzzyness, I have to say that fsmash you pull on that Falco in the first video was uber kute. You have to work on your shffl's. You almost always did a full jump. Learn to short hop; it should be easy to do with Bowser since he has the laggiest jump in the game. Hopefully better Boozer players can give a more thorough reply.

E_funK_009

Smash Cadet
lol dude, that first falco match was ****.

as to update the so called videos i had, still nothing from my friend.

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
like gfish said, pretty solid. technically speaking, your wavelands and dashes were real good, but your lcancelling was a bit iffy. near the end they were better, but ALWAYS cancel bowsers bair; its pretty laggy.

otherwise...i guess don't use the dash attack so often because it's so easy to punish, and use tilts more often. ftilt is great, but i only saw you use it once; mix it up a little instead of all shffls. that's all i have for now.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Hello all, I've been playing Bowser as a low-tier secondary/fun character for some time now. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give (I'm certain I could be a lot better - like less bowser bomb >.>). Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnIUyA_mgU

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
You have multiple options when getting up off the ledge you know.. the only thing ever saw you do was go for the ledge-hopped klaw which you landed once.. and then didn't capitalize on the edgeguard.

You never seemed to shffl and aerial in there the whole time.. you would SH klaw.. SH Firebreath, and at one point SH bowser bombed when you were under pressure.. Your aerials come out quicker and have better knock back..

You were really predictable with every move, after two minutes i was able to call out what you were going to do, thats not anyway meant to be mean, its meant to show that you really need to mix things up.. You have better attacks then the bowser bomb too btw, it has way to much lag.. and you used it almost every time you were over him. Just fall back safely and then continue your offense, twice you used it and got punished for it.

Fortressing was decent, i mean you could use it a little more effectively, and try and fortress into the fortress cancel.. bowser can be really dangerous from the ledge..

Don't sidestep as much when your bowser.. it lasts for almost 30 frames and your only invincible for seven of them, your much better off shielding.. most people can whiff a move.. and then still hit you with a smash when you sidestep.

The Grab game is really important to Bowser.. D-throws are really good set-ups and back throws are really good for throwing them off the ledge and getting the pressure off.. i highly recommend you grab more, heck you can even tech-chase your D-throw on opponents if you think quick enough.

There were a couple of times when you would fortress and then when the shielded, keep going right through them and the ending lag would keep you right in front of him for a grab.. thats where fortress-canceling is gonna save your *** so much more.

All in all you have a decent start.. just gotta wizen up and become not so predictable and you will start to get a really good feel for your blossoming bowser, post some more vids if you get them

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot for the in-depth advice! I'll try to implement it, and hopefully I can get some more footage up in the not too distant future.

Thanks again.

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
You're not too bad, what I recommend is work on your shffls and try using bowser's tilts instead of the forward smash, especially his forward tilt, that punch comes off much quicker then headbutt and is more effective in close range. The forword smash is a good move, just don't use in a situation where that attack will just leave you open. Try predicting your foe's moves and have them run into it.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Herro! Please rate my bowser! Just for some background information, I live on an island with a smash population of 4, I play once every 2 or so weeks, and until a week ago I only used to play bowser against people who don't use adv techniques, and I've been playing competitive smash for only 5 months. So in regards to that, please leave comments, constructive criticism. That means don't write "you suck" or "go play better players" or anything of that sort. Thanks!

JAPMAN(Bowser) Vs Shermanator(Doc)
JAPMAN(Bowser) Vs Shermanator(Doc) 2

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Well man you got a good start but heres what I think-

-A little less Fsmash would be good, you were left open quite a lot after using it. Its situational, try and use it at the perfect time, you have better options

-Try more SHFFLing. Bowsers large and laggy, so the less your open and the more you put pressure on your opponent, the better.

-Different approaches. Fair isnt the only thing you can do when you attack someone at first. Klaws, Sheild grabbing at the right moments [like shield your opponents attack, and grab them. dthrows a good setup and bthrow is good to get them off the edges.] works good.

I dont know about anything else at this moment, but I hope my advice is useful. Keep it up dude. :]

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Oh, if I would have known i would have said different. haha.

Bowser's jumping speed is.. strange .. so I can see where you're coming from. But try to break bowsers SHFFLs in your game, it'll make a huge difference. As well with tilts and grab game.

And im quite suprised you play Bowser when you play Fox and Peach, he's pretty bad

EDIT: scratch that hes terrible

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Your bowser is pretty good! As has been said work on your Shuffls and learn to time your Fsmashes a bit better and practice when to use them. It was hard for me to focus soley on you though because I play mario as well myself and cringed alot when the doc player made mistakes.

Also- Get a better camera :p

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I dont really feel like dishing out money for a capture card, dvd recorder, or a camcorder at the moment..im about to go to college so i have better uses for my money...if i was still in high school id definately get better equipment so i can record with better quality.

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
video responce

Its good you played against doc cause thats who my friend plays as so it's pretty much the exact same battle for you and me.
1. Now my friend who plays doc loves to pill rush/ pill camp. I noticed that your doc was more prone to attacking and thats totally fine but i'd just like to point out that the majority of docs will use their pills quite often and i noticed that you were very vomerable to those few pill attacks doc sent at you. Make sure that if you ever challange another doc to stick close to him if he plays the pill throw style. Not only will it decrease the number of pills they throw at you but it's very intimidating.

2. You were quite open for shield grabs. Mario have some pretty far grab range and though your friend never used it much except in the end of the second vid you'll need to work on your spacing between you and your oponent. While you want to put pressure and attack them you dont want to set your self up for a sheild ----> grab ----> back throw, which for chars like doc could mean the end for you. Try to predict your oponents movements. If you think he's going to attack you in a certain place set your attack to attack there. That way when you do your jump foward a your might just end up setting up your oponent for a missed shield grab and opening an oppertunity for you to do something.

3. You had some really good recoverys both in terms of distance and in your ability to dodge your oponent. However, i noticed you rarely used bowsers roll attack from the edge except for a few times. While it's not good to spam a move, that roll move is very good because of its length and its ability to set your oponent up for a claw grab after they try and get up, or what ever you want to do. Thats what i use it for though. Its something that you should try to incorporate more into your ledge game.

4. Lastly, your edge guarding. While not bad, i think you used your smash foward a way too mcuh to try and edge guard. Fire is really useful. Try to use that instead sometimes, and also back a from the air. While it'll take some time to get used to that move is very good because of its ability to hit things before they touch the edge. Fire is just a good move to set them up for a screw up so you can then try and use your smash when they over shoot the recovery or just a plain foward a or what ever. Its very much mind games in the edge guard w/ bowser.

None the less i liked your use of black bowser, i thought it looked very cool. Good job beating the doc in your first vid. It's something very few people can say the can do w/ bowser!! :chuckle:

Chanto327

Smash Cadet
Kinda had to expect a response like that from YOU -_-.....honestly, what is it that makes most people just automatically hate me? I dunno, I'm probably taking things too seriously again, but I just can't help it....

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha post a vid vs a human and we will watch it and critique, its just absolutely impossible to give any kind of reasonable critique vs a non human opponent

Chanto327

Smash Cadet
Well, I wasn't able to record it, but yesterday I faced my friend's Samus, 10 stock, Final Destination. He won, but I managed to get him down to four stocks. I then faced him again, same rules, and I was Captain Falcon....He friggin' 2-stocked me >_<. I probably could have won had I not SD'd really foolishly 2 or 3 times. But, I digress, once I'm able to get my own camera (The only one I can use is my mom's and she won't let me bring it over to a friend's house -_-) I'll try to record some matches.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
I watched. I even had a half page of advice but the Forums wouldnt let me post it. It didnt matter it basically said listen to Gimpy and Kevin. And DONT use the Fortress like that!

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I've been getting myself back into smash in order to be able to make some sort of showing when Brawl hits the scenes. I'll see if I can get some matches in with Simna and have him put them up.

Top Bottom