• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Awful Team

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Ability: Snow Cloak

Ice Shard
Icicle Crash
Stone Edge
Earthquake

EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD

My physical sweeper. Ice shard is a great priority move which allows me to get some decent kills, or put dents into pokemon. I used to run choice band, but too often I lost due to the fact that I was locked into the wrong move for the job.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate

Draco Meteor
Surf
HP Fighting
Psyshock

252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Special Sweeper. Draco Meteor is a must, considering the monstrous power. That, combined with STAB and the boost from the life orb makes Latios a complete monster. Surf obliterates Tyranitar, among other various threats. I originally ran HP Fire, but too often I would run into rain teams running Ferrothorn/Jirachi and it just wouldn't get the job done. HP Fighting is a nice surprise that still beats Ferrothorn.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
Ability: Blaze

Overheat
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Mach Punch

252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

Anyone who's played DPP OU knows full well about mixape. Welp, he's still good. He allows me to hit all kinds of pokemon for great damage. Overheat and Close Combat are good STAB attacks that happen to hit either side of the spectrum. Grass Knot helps deal with a lot of pokemon that would normally wall Infernape cold. Mach Punch is the obligatory priority move.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Iron Barbs

Leech Seed
Spikes
Power Whip
Thunder Wave

252 Def/252 HP/4 SpD

I love Ferrothorn to death. Because of its good defensive typing (2 Weaknesses/10 Resistances), it is one of the best walls in the current metagame. Leech Seed is great for helping Ferrothorn stay alive longer and also great for forcing switches. Power Whip is great to either punch holes in certain pokemon or kill them outright. Thunder Wave stops a lot of potential threats cold.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Ability: Water Absorb

Scald
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt

252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA

A part of one the best defensive cores, meet Jellicent. Whereas Ferrothorn is physically defensive, Jellicent is specially defensive. Scald is a great move that gives Jellicent an opportunity to do some damage. Recover helps me stall for a little while. Will-O-Wisp gives me a guaranteed burn, and taunt helps me stop opposing pokemon from setting up.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Ability: Sturdy

Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Fire Fang

Rapid Spin... is super important. It clear entry hazards. I won't say anymore about it. Earthquake is always a solid attack, which is made better by STAB. Steath Rock is arguably the best move in the game. Fire Fang makes for a great surprise.

252 HP/252 AtK/4 SpD

Threatlist: Whenever I get beat, I honestly think it's more due to my lack of experience/me just being bad then anything else. I think the team is very well-balanced, but needs tweaking, hence me posting it here.

Thanks <3

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This team really isn't that bad, I've seen much worse. Like you said though, a lot of the problems in this come from inexperience, which isn't really something that you can gain by posting an RMT in a forum. Still, I'll try to help you out.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Ability: Snow Cloak

Ice Shard
Icicle Crash
Stone Edge
Earthquake

EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD

My physical sweeper. Ice shard is a great priority move which allows me to get some decent kills, or put dents into pokemon. I used to run choice band, but too often I lost due to the fact that I was locked into the wrong move for the job.
This set looks fine. Only two changes are needed - Thick Fat over Snow Cloak and Superpower over Stone Edge. In a metagame where Hail is pretty much a gimmick while fire and ice type attacks are everywhere, Thick Fat is pretty much essential in order for Mamoswine to stay relevant. Running rock and ice moves on the same set is also pretty redundant. Superpower will let you hit a few more things for super effective damage than Stone Edge wouldn't be able to get you to, most notably Ferrothorn.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature

Draco Meteor
Surf
HP Fighting
Psyshock

252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Special Sweeper. Draco Meteor is a must, considering the monstrous power. That, combined with STAB and the boost from the life orb makes Latios a complete monster. Surf obliterates Tyranitar, among other various threats. I originally ran HP Fire, but too often I would run into rain teams running Ferrothorn/Jirachi and it just wouldn't get the job done. HP Fighting is a nice surprise that still beats Ferrothorn.
With Sandstorm up, Surf doesn't do **** to Tyranitar. HP Fighting is a much better option, and even then you won't 2HKO him since he'll be able OHKO you with Crunch (either outright or after your LO recoil+Sandstorm damage).

Also, you generally don't seem to understand the difference between a sweeper and an attacker. A sweeper is something designed to potentially 6-0 a team. Sweepers typically have moves or abilities that allow them to continue to do this by boosting their stats, recovering health, making the opponent cry, etc. They typically do not carry moves that lower their primary attacking stat (aside from Contrary pokemon like Serperior and Spinda, but only because their ability turns these losses into boosts). Attackers, however, are only designed to deal as much damage in one attack as possible because sweeping for them, for one reason or another, is not a viable option or because there's already a sweeper on the team. Attackers run whatever moves they want but typically don't have boosting since those would take time away from attacking. This Latios is an attacker, not a sweeper, and I really hope you're not trying to sweep opponents with it because after a single Draco Meteor it becomes about as threatening as Flygon.\

This is a sweeper:

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid nature
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
-Recover
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse

This Latias has enough speed and bulk to easily set up on your opponent late game and her Dragon Pulse is the second strongest in the format. She has key resistances to many of the things your team is weak to, meaning that you can bring her in on a plethora of attacks. She does get walled pretty hard by steel types, but between Infernape, Mamoswine, and something I'm going to suggest later it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Besides, with a sub up, Ferrothorn and Forretress can't do much to you anyway unless they have Gyro Ball.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
Ability: Blaze

Overheat
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Mach Punch

252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

Anyone who's played DPP OU knows full well about mixape. Welp, he's still good. He allows me to hit all kinds of pokemon for great damage. Overheat and Close Combat are good STAB attacks that happen to hit either side of the spectrum. Grass Knot helps deal with a lot of pokemon that would normally wall Infernape cold. Mach Punch is the obligatory priority move.
Mach Punch without Iron Fist? Preposterous, change this at once! I'm also going to suggest Naive nature over Hasty so that you have a slightly higher chance or surviving Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Iron Barbs

Leech Seed
Spikes
Power Whip
Thunder Wave

252 Def/252 HP/4 SpD

I love Ferrothorn to death. Because of its good defensive typing (2 Weaknesses/10 Resistances), it is one of the best walls in the current metagame. Leech Seed is great for helping Ferrothorn stay alive longer and also great for forcing switches. Power Whip is great to either punch holes in certain pokemon or kill them outright. Thunder Wave stops a lot of potential threats cold.
I would recommend running 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD and Impish nature over your current spread so that it has more special bulk. No further changes.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Ability: Water Absorb

Scald
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt

252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA

A part of one the best defensive cores, meet Jellicent. Whereas Ferrothorn is physically defensive, Jellicent is specially defensive. Scald is a great move that gives Jellicent an opportunity to do some damage. Recover helps me stall for a little while. Will-O-Wisp gives me a guaranteed burn, and taunt helps me stop opposing pokemon from setting up.
You don't really need a "defensive core" since this isn't a stall team. The old teambuilding tip of "Lead/Physical Sweeper/Special Sweeper/Mixed Attacker/Physical Wall/Special Wall" is kind of outdated and not really relevant in a format where every team is either hyper offense or super stall. There's also not much Jellicent offers you outside of immunities and spinblocking. Fighting and water resistances are now covered by Latias and it's not exactly hard to set up Stealth Rock, so he'll hardly be missed.

Your team could really use a revenge killer, so I suggest this:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Timid nature
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Trick

I was originally going to suggest Specs Starmie here, but I think your team would benefit from Rotom's bulk more. Aside from Lantern, Seaking, and Shedinja, there's nothing that completely resists Electric/Water/Ice coverage and this coverage also hits a lot of major threats in the metagame for super effective damage (water types, dragons, Gliscor, Skarmory, Heatran, Breloom, etc.) and it will hit any steel type besides Ferrothorn for a significant amount of neutral damage. It also has a number of key resists (fire, water, ice, steel) and has only one weakness (grass) that isn't shared with anyone else on your team (in fact, half of them resist it). Rotom is just a great pokemon

Donphan @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Ability: Sturdy

Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Fire Fang

Rapid Spin... is super important. It clear entry hazards. I won't say anymore about it. Earthquake is always a solid attack, which is made better by STAB. Steath Rock is arguably the best move in the game. Fire Fang makes for a great surprise.

252 HP/252 AtK/4 SpD
I'm not too anal about these things, but at least put your EV spread above your explanation of the set.

Anyway, Rapid Spin is only really important if a majority of your team takes more than 25% damage from Stealth Rock+1 layer of Spikes. If you're team was, say, Ninjask+Charizard+Volcarona+Articuno+Shedinja then you'd desperately need a spinner (in fact, if you were playing that team, it would probably be best if you just stopped playing competitive pokemon entirely). Spinning isn't even that necessary if you're playing a stall team (though it is recommended). This team definitely does not need a spinner. You also don't need a pokemon that shares attacking moves with two of your other pokemon since it's not only redundant but makes you severely weak to water. The only thing that Donphan is really doing on this team is setting up rocks and serving as a backup Mamoswine.

Any stupid pokemon can set up rocks, so I suggest using this stupid pokemon:

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant nature
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
-Meteor Mash
-Stealth Rock
-Hammer Arm
-Bullet Punch

Metagross is legit. He's bulky enough to set up rocks and has a high enough attack stat to threaten anything that tries to come in on him that's not a steel type. Bullet Punch is useful as a priority move to finish off things that you couldn't quite kill. I know I talked about move redundancy and it may seem like Hammer Arm is redundant, but when 3 of the top 6 pokemon in the format are all weak to one type, you better ****ing have a bunch of pokemon who attack with that type on your team.

So there you go.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I agree that 4 Attack Latios is silly, but that Latias set is iffy. CM Roar is another option.

If you really want a specially defensive bulky Water, go with Tentacruel. If you go this route, I'd keep Donphan.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
idk, it seems to me that if you don't run Sub or Refresh on CM Latias then you're just begging to get paralyzed. Roar is still an option but I'm really not sure he needs it.

Tentacruel and Donphan seems redundant. You have enough electric resists that you don't need to run both.

Top Bottom