• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raptor Boost might be irrelevant (featuring a better option)

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I was thinking about this several months ago, debating whether Falcon's jump canceled usmash does the same job Raptor Boost does, but better. I dropped this idea pretty quickly due to usmash seeming unreliable, sometimes the second hit wouldn't connect at all, much like how Raptor Boost would sometimes whiff completely if the opponent made the slightest movement during the initiation of the hitbox. Turns out the second hit of usmash only whiffs when you do it too far from the opponent while you're moving, but works just fine when you're close enough.

For those who don't know, jump canceled usmash makes you slide forward while you're charging the usmash. For Falcon this distance is very long, so he can pretty much charge the entire attack while moving. This is done by dashing forward, jumping, and immediately inputting usmash (up + A). The usmash needs to be inputted before your character actually jumps, during the start-up of the jump which is 5 frames, a little bit under a tenth of a second. I do this by simply dashing forward, sliding my thumb from X button to A button and flicking the control stick up between those inputs.

Anyways, after realizing usmash isn't completely useless I remembered my earlier idea of replacing Raptor Boost with it, and ran some tests. Turns out Raptor Boost takes exactly the same amount of time to get its hitbox out from the closest range possible as usmash does. Here's some numbers (frame when the move hits):

Close range
Usmash: 22 frames
Raptor Boost: 22 frames

Rough mid range (of Raptor Boost)
JC Usmash: 28 frames
Raptor Boost: 29 frames

Longest range (of Raptor Boost)
JC Usmash: 35 frames
Raptor Boost: 37 frames

Kill % on Villager from the middle of FD/Omega with DI applied (training mode)
Usmash: 103% (92% with sweetspot which is at the tip of your feet)
Raptor Boost: 121%

So not only is usmash considerably stronger and more reliable than Raptor Boost, it's also as fast or faster at any range. It's also slightly safer on shield than Raptor Boost. You might want to consider replacing Raptor Boost with Wind-Up Raptor Boost (custom side b 3) because if you use it about 0.5 seconds after hitstun aka the time you can't move or do anything after being hit, you get a massive horizontal boost giving Falcon arguably the best horizontal recovery in the game. When used normally though, this move gives you less horizontal range than a regular Raptor Boost. I might make a video on this later considering it isn't very widely known despite having been found in November.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That isn't quite the point of Raptor Boost though. Raptor Boost isn't meant to strictly be a ranged punish. The key to Raptor Boost is the way it alters Falcon's hurtbox, and the fact that it can be done at any point out of a dash either forwards or backwards. Yes, U-smash (and tbh, Falcon Kick) are better KO options in ranged punish situations. That's not however the reason why Raptor Boost is powerful, when Raptor Boost can bait your opponent into making mistakes in relatively close range due to its leanback properties.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
That isn't quite the point of Raptor Boost though. Raptor Boost isn't meant to strictly be a ranged punish. The key to Raptor Boost is the way it alters Falcon's hurtbox, and the fact that it can be done at any point out of a dash either forwards or backwards. Yes, U-smash (and tbh, Falcon Kick) are better KO options in ranged punish situations. That's not however the reason why Raptor Boost is powerful, when Raptor Boost can bait your opponent into making mistakes in relatively close range due to its leanback properties.
Good points, however in close range for altering hurtbox and hitting back hard, fsmash is usually a superior option. It has more endlag, but honestly if you whiff at that situation you'll be punished regardless. Run-past-crossup Raptor Boost is still a thing that no other move of Falcon's can replicate, but it's fairly gimmicky in my experience.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Maybe there is something to be said about it's usefullness out of dash but any advantage gained by the lean back can be replicated and outclassed by a dash dance befor the jc upsmash or even a perfect pivot.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Maybe there is something to be said about it's usefullness out of dash but any advantage gained by the lean back can be replicated and outclassed by a dash dance befor the jc upsmash or even a perfect pivot.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Another thing about Raptor Boost is how it covers multiple options. For instance, if you are running at your opponent and you feel they might either roll inwards or spotdodge defensively, and you know they can be killed by Raptor Boost, turnaround Raptor Boost can cover both these options reliably. Similarly your opponent has to think twice before throwing out a SH aerial, doing a pivot F-tilt/F-smash/grab, and of course rolling backwards when they're at Raptor Boost KO%. Sure, U-smash can cover some of these with varying consistency, but the lingering control of Raptor Boost, and the fact that it can be done at any point while you're running is quite useful when Falcon by default forces his opponent on the defensive with his run speed. Not something to abuse all the time, but it has a place in Falcon's kit.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Things RB has over Usmash :
-lingering hitbox
-a detection hitbox so it activates at the right point during its course
-can be used forward out of a backward dash

What it means is that even though RB is less safe and kills later than Usmash it is easier to use.

So use JCUsmash when you're sure about your prediction/punition, use RB when you're not.

On a side note I've been using Usmash more lately, it's become my favorite smash because of how low the cooldown is and how disjointed the first hit is.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm mostly in the same boat as @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG is. Both have their own uses. I didn't know he gained much distance using this technique though. I'll have to look into it more, considering I almost never use usmash. Might be a great way to change things up.,

Last edited:

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
You might want to consider replacing Raptor Boost with Wind-Up Raptor Boost (custom side b 3) because if you use it about 0.5 seconds after hitstun aka the time you can't move or do anything after being hit, you get a massive horizontal boost giving Falcon arguably the best horizontal recovery in the game. When used normally though, this move gives you less horizontal range than a regular Raptor Boost. I might make a video on this later considering it isn't very widely known despite having been found in November.
The only problem with using the Wind-Up Raptor Boost for that "horizontal boost" is that you might not use it in time for that boost, so you'll just end up looking like a fool and dying. Also, that "boost" might just send you across the stage to your death if you don't use it in a safe spot.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
The only problem with using the Wind-Up Raptor Boost for that "horizontal boost" is that you might not use it in time for that boost, so you'll just end up looking like a fool and dying. Also, that "boost" might just send you across the stage to your death if you don't use it in a safe spot.
You have about a half second window to use it so i'm not sure that first point is a problem. Just mash side b.
Using in a safe spot is something to consider, being that if you are too high it might kill you, but if you are in that kind of position you have better recovery options anyway.
I'm not sure there are a ton of reasons to not use wind up raptor boost anymore, especially now that we know many situations that the standard raptor boost deals with are better dealt with jc up smash.

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
You have about a half second window to use it so i'm not sure that first point is a problem. Just mash side b.
Using in a safe spot is something to consider, being that if you are too high it might kill you, but if you are in that kind of position you have better recovery options anyway.
I'm not sure there are a ton of reasons to not use wind up raptor boost anymore, especially now that we know many situations that the standard raptor boost deals with are better dealt with jc up smash.
I've had situations where I've mashed side b but still have not gotten the boost, I was probably too slow though, since I barely ever try to go for that boost. It also could've been the online lag just messing me up.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Mashing it won't get you the boost, you have to wait about half a second after the hitstun before you do it.

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
I have used raptor boost only as a punish. It works usually if you can read at all, or the other player makes a wrong move. However, I have tried to raptor boost, and then I miss simply because the other player slightly moved, or they were JUST beginning a jump, and its really annoying. I also can get punished by trying to punish them in the first place, and one of the scenarios listed takes place. I will most certainly give this jump canceled up smash a shot!

No, raptor boost should not be omitted from use. It has its uses, but there is not a reason so far to ditch this jump cancel upsmash so far.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
As already mentioned, RB has perks that usmash and other means of leanback cannot replicate.

Also, did you test b-reverse raptor boost when trying out the optimal speed? If you want to go right with raptor boost, doing a raptor boost to the left and then immediately pressing right will make you use the leanback as a lean forward in stead. This gives a distance and speed-gain.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
RB may have a lingering hitbox, but Usmash has 2 hits, can mess up untimed spotdodges and is much more difficult to powershield, meaning you won't be punished as hard in many cases.

People have always told me to use RB more, but I could never implement it with ease. I do however love to punish getup rolls and the likes with JCUsmash

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Let's not forget raptor boost also has super armor the moment before impact which allows it to be used as a counter to get up and ledge climb attacks.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
It's clear that though a point of contention exists, there is a time and place for the two and no one option seems overwhelmingly superior. Still, I personally feel like there is not much technicality to CF, so it's really nice to see examination of the depth of his moveset that is seemingly plain on the surface.

Lionman

Smash Champion
i find raptor boost useless in some situations, can be punished hard but sometimes is a good option for mindgames.

Up Smash is another story, i use it for comboing and building damage when i can predict a roll or a recovery.

Top Bottom