• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raptor boost gimp thread

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
well I was bored today so I decided to test Falcon's raptor boost (in air) against every opponent and see what it out-prioritizes,

here are the results, and some surprises!

Recoveries a raptor boost will connect to and spike:

DK-very freggin useful as DK can't meteor cancel very well, raptor boost out-prioritizes DK's up B :)

Link-another amazing find because link has the same crappy recovery as DK, that can go straight into an edge hog, and thus gimping link even if he does meteor cancel *note*for some reason it has a chance of not cutting through, I still have no clue why, My theory suggests that maybe he gains priority, as it starts up

T.Link- same as link, pretty useful

Luigi (except his >B)-really useful it can out-prioritize and meteor Luigi's upB and his down B (which a lot of luigi players use to recover) his >B can't but it can be by a simple Dair, Nair, you name it!

Diddy(>B only)- Diddy's like to diddy hump you to death, but raptor will cancel it out and meteor!

Pit-obvious

MK(except upB)- well it does while in his glide, but EVERYTHING else will be canceled out (with the tornado you need to be above him, which isn't that hard) >B will be OWNED by the raptor boost thus spiking MK back to hell!

Squirtle- ohh yeah it works, but on a side note there is a higher success rate if your above his recovery, but if on the same level as him it may fail (no idea why)

Snake- you could imagine why

Yoshi-Obvious

Lucario-Obvious again

Sonic- Obvious thrice

Bowser- totally takes him out like DK, but bowser's upB gives him more vertical height, nevertheless still **** useful

Rob-YES!!

Peach- her upB is out-prioritized by raptor boost, so yay but her >B *** crush goes through Falcon's might fist ohhh well

Ganondoofus- :laugh: lol couldn't resist, anyway his pelvus is out prioritized by the raptor boost, but his ganoncide will cut through you

IC- >B will be out prioritized, not upB which is o.k seeing as once nana is gone >B is all popo has for a recovery

DDD- only at the height when the SA frames dissipate

Wario- his Bike is out prioritized by the raptor boost, but only when you are above (not by much though because wario's bike tips forward in air)

Recoveries that will get kinda spiked if you meet the requirements

Kirby- when his upB is moving upwards raptor boost will spike him, when kirby is moving downwards with his upB you'll get owned

Pikachu- >B will spike if your above (also Dair works to)

G&W- when he's in his parachute stage you'll spike him

Luigi- if you meet Pikachu's requirement's

Ike - >B will be hit if you raptor from above

Jiggly- yeah you kinda get why I put her here........

Characters that are too homosexual to get connected by raptor boost

Samus

Charizard

Spacies

Mario

Lucus/ness

Zelda/Shiek

Obviously Marth

TETHER RECOVERIES

o.k hers the deal on tether recoveries you >B will get to them but their tether will hit you, however from this stage you gain your recovery back, and your able totally gimp your opponent :)

Ayaz I don't have any balls how do I pull these off?

well my good chap, dash dancing near the edge (approximately at the arrow at FD) and waiting for the recovery until you intercept it, works best for me because of the dash dances insane mind games,and because falcon is always at full dash speed

comment rate whatever, very good to know MK's recovery is now not as scary as it was before

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a very risky tactic on some of these, but it's very useful to know about against characters with really obvious, crappy recoveries (DK, Link, etc).

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
There is a distance you can use a Raptor Boost and grab the ledge if you wiff it, but I don't know if you can also spike people from that same distance (won't they just grab the ledge?).

Wogrim

Smash Lord
For Pikachu and Luigi, who love that side-B to help them recover (especially Luigi since his up-B isn't as good as Pikachu's) can't you just intercept them with Falcon Dive? Although I think you might still take the damage....
For Link and DK does it work from the side?

And for anyone recovering from below the stage, is there a place at which using the Raptor Boost will reach them before they sweetspot the ledge and laugh as you Boost their invincibility frames and fall to your death?

Good thread.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, I haven't tested this out, but are you suggesting that Falcon's side-B clangs with/outprioritizes MK's glide attack, or just that he's vulnerable while he's gliding?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Oh, I haven't tested this out, but are you suggesting that Falcon's side-B clangs with/outprioritizes MK's glide attack, or just that he's vulnerable while he's gliding?
I havn't tested the glide attack, im talking about just the glide

and don't be afraid if you miss it because if you have proper spacing you'll grab the ledge instead, but you SHOULD be aiming for your opponent and if he/she airdodges then edge hogs you, yous can still get that little upward momentum from the missed attack

Tenki

Smash Hero
I havn't tested the glide attack, im talking about just the glide

and don't be afraid if you miss it because if you have proper spacing you'll grab the ledge instead, but you SHOULD be aiming for your opponent and if he/she airdodges then edge hogs you, yous can still get that little upward momentum from the missed attack
Ay, that may be a problem, since, especially in offline play, it's easier for an MK/whatever character to just "tip" you with an attack.

;O

Who knows, maybe you just have to space correctly and somehow be above MK and you can avoid the Glide Attack ordeal while still meteoring?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yeah in most cases if can be above your opponent then raptor boost it will meteor, and yeah I was doing this all night on my bro's MK, he thought it was gay

I felt like screeming "YOUR THE ONE WHO'S META KNIGHT"

EDIT: listen very carefully I tried all off these at least 3 times before marking them in each characters specific position, when I say it will cut through (insert character here) it will, unless I have labeled it as a weird case when you have to hit on a certain angle.

personally I find the aerial raptor boost better than Falcon kick for the whorenado, because it hit's from above, the weakest point

Top Bottom