• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Rant] Why I Think That Little Mac Needs Nerfing

How OP is Little Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXEnderSeanXx

Smash Rookie
Oh, Little Mac. How a great character you are... Almost too damn great. Little Mac is one of my favorite new additions to the smash franchise, but I was afraid this would come upon him. Mac is one of the best characters to play as considering his punching will bring you into a combo you won't ever forget, and they are each as powerful as the next. Now that's great that he' s a fun character to play as. But if you even try to play For Glory once, you will be met with at least one Little Mac. But the problem here is that remember how I talked about how good Mac is? Well yeah, he's too good! Along with Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac is without a doubt one of, if not the most powerful and unbalanced character in the entire game of Smash. You don't stand a chance at winning against anyone playing Little Mac if you are playing a lightweight character. Overall, I do not have much of a problem with the balance of characters in this game. But Little Mac, you know for a fact that he needs a serious nerf. And I know his recovery is bad and that "makes up for it". But it really doesn't, if you play on a omega version of any stage that will not play into effect at all until at least 80%. And don't even get me started on how fast he can be at times. This may just be me and that I am undeniably awful at Smash, but in my opinion, Little Mac is a great addition to the roster and all, but for Tabuu's sake at least make him much slower. That's all I have to say, Rosalina & Luma do not bother be too much because their character actually requires skill. Anyone who plays Little Mac, sorry about that. But come on, you know it too.

:4littlemac: NO.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
You have to play against him in a very specific way, and yes it can be difficult. However if you are scared to approach him or edgeguard him you will not get very far at all, and you can't be ignorant of his options. Don't listen to people that tell you it's as easy as throwing him off the stage, because it is very rarely that easy...unless you're Sheik or something. A lot of matches I've been in are just people that don't know how to play the matchup. Yes, little Mac can jump. yes he can kill you off the top with grounded upb, yes he can counter your kill moves when he sees you're eager to land one, yeah he has a KO punch that will insta-kill at 42% or some crap at the latest WITH DI, 19% at earliest (Dedede and Jiggs respectively I believe) and yes unless you knock him waaaaay offstage he'll make it back for quite a while.

I think when people figure out they can't just run into his attacks and grab him he will be more neutralized. But for now I voted a bit overpowered to cover my ass. I dunno. The Macs I've faced aren't that good it seems like, with the exception of a few and unfortunately those were Mac dittos which is a pretty poor way to assess the Mac imo :p

Last edited:

Highwayman300

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-8908-8969
Oh, Little Mac. How a great character you are... Almost too damn great. Little Mac is one of my favorite new additions to the smash franchise, but I was afraid this would come upon him. Mac is one of the best characters to play as considering his punching will bring you into a combo you won't ever forget, and they are each as powerful as the next. Now that's great that he' s a fun character to play as. But if you even try to play For Glory once, you will be met with at least one Little Mac. But the problem here is that remember how I talked about how good Mac is? Well yeah, he's too good! Along with Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac is without a doubt one of, if not the most powerful and unbalanced character in the entire game of Smash. You don't stand a chance at winning against anyone playing Little Mac if you are playing a lightweight character. Overall, I do not have much of a problem with the balance of characters in this game. But Little Mac, you know for a fact that he needs a serious nerf. And I know his recovery is bad and that "makes up for it". But it really doesn't, if you play on a omega version of any stage that will not play into effect at all until at least 80%. And don't even get me started on how fast he can be at times. This may just be me and that I am undeniably awful at Smash, but in my opinion, Little Mac is a great addition to the roster and all, but for Tabuu's sake at least make him much slower. That's all I have to say, Rosalina & Luma do not bother be too much because their character actually requires skill. Anyone who plays Little Mac, sorry about that. But come on, you know it too.

:4littlemac: NO.
Let me deconstruct this so you can easily understand why he is not as "OP" as you think:
First of all you will find a ton more of ZSS and Bowsers in for glory, coupled with a few Greninjas. This characters are way more popular that Mac alone, and are pretty much the only ones you will see in FG.
Second, he is not really that amazingly good, he requires a good knowledge of advanced mechanics and at least some knowledge about his frame data is necessary in order to abuse his super armor. Personally i say there are characters that are even easier to learn and even stronger than Mac himself, such as Bowser, who could be one of the best characters in the game (He destroys Mac by the way).
Finally, his recovery does matter, you are just not abusing it enough against him. You can either lure a Side-B or Up-B and spike him at low percents, or simply gimp him away on a Side-B read.
And since his speed is apparently why he is OP, i believe then Sonic is auto SSS tier now.

jviscake

Smash Rookie
Beating Little Mac is as simple as learning to read and space. The only special trait he really has is the KO punch. The reason people are salty is because FG takes out platforms which is pretty much plugging in Mac to go in at 150%.

Last edited:

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Shieldgrabbing and decent spacing will let you destroy 90% of Little Macs on For Glory. In the hands of someone who actually knows how to play him, Little Mac is solid, but probably high-tier at most. Advanced movement options could potentially lift him up to top-tier status, but there isn't really anyone using them yet because of 3DS controls and online lag.
FD doesn't really give him that much of an advantage compared to a tournament ruleset. Yoshi's Story is actually better for Little Mac than FD imo, Prism Tower a bit worse, and Battlefield can be striked/banned every time.

Last edited:

xXEnderSeanXx

Smash Rookie
Let me deconstruct this so you can easily understand why he is not as "OP" as you think:
First of all you will find a ton more of ZSS and Bowsers in for glory, coupled with a few Greninjas. This characters are way more popular that Mac alone, and are pretty much the only ones you will see in FG.
Second, he is not really that amazingly good, he requires a good knowledge of advanced mechanics and at least some knowledge about his frame data is necessary in order to abuse his super armor. Personally i say there are characters that are even easier to learn and even stronger than Mac himself, such as Bowser, who could be one of the best characters in the game (He destroys Mac by the way).
Finally, his recovery does matter, you are just not abusing it enough against him. You can either lure a Side-B or Up-B and spike him at low percents, or simply gimp him away on a Side-B read.
And since his speed is apparently why he is OP, i believe then Sonic is auto SSS tier now.
The reason I would not consider Sonic that high in the tier list, is mostly because Sonic cannot combo nearly as well as Little Mac can. I can see where you're coming from, but slow characters can even come near this guy. But I do believe that once you have enough experience playing a certain character of your choice, beating a Little Mac should be as easy as it can get.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the biggest threat to Mac in theory is the lightest character (or at least one of them), Jigglypuff.
Amazing air game, unpredictability due to the jump properties, and spectacular juggles set him apart.
You say that light characters don't stand a chance but, it's like what I say when I play League:
Characters don't get countered. Players do.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Actually, the biggest threat to Mac in theory is the lightest character (or at least one of them), Jigglypuff.
Amazing air game, unpredictability due to the jump properties, and spectacular juggles set him apart.
You say that light characters don't stand a chance but, it's like what I say when I play League:
Characters don't get countered. Players do.
I play both characters and Mac is WAY scarier for Puff than vice versa. Mac can afford mistakes (provided he doesn't get knocked off stage), but the slightest mistake in Puff's spacing can easily result in a KO. Mac's armor is also Puff's worst nightmare, since she HAS to get in and approach.

I've had much more success with Wario. Mac scares me as Puff.

Last edited:

xXEnderSeanXx

Smash Rookie
I play both characters and Mac is WAY scarier for Puff than vice versa. Mac can afford mistakes (provided he doesn't get knocked off stage), but the slightest mistake in Puff's spacing can easily result in a KO. Mac's armor is also Puff's worst nightmare, since she HAS to get in and approach.

I've had much more success with Wario. Mac scares me as Puff.
I guess it must just be me then, because I can't play Pikmin and Alph for my life against player Little Macs without being defeated quickly! I suppose it's just too hard for me to beat Little Mac with three Pikmin... :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom