• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking moves in Characters (Round 21: Discussing Down-Special)

What will you like to discuss next?

• Jabs

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Grabs

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Continue with Specials

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenny

Smash Ace
If ZSS is in S, Falcons should be in S. The only difference between the two is the reverse hitbox on Falcons and the higher damage. ZSS can combo into boost kick, sure, but Falcon can combo into footstool > dair > knee, knee, dair, another up air, and bair for kills and those aren't nearly as easy to DI out of as boost kick.

Bayonetta's up air should also be moved up to S. Beats airdodges, has more range than it should, combos into everything, can be used to gimp with the lingering bs hitbox, and it kills
I feel like Bayo's Nair should be S tier too. Probably the best gimping aerial in the game, silly hitbox size and kills. Also a scary combo finisher if you're offstage, since it'll probably kill you around 80%.

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
Wario's Uair Starts 8 and is only active until frame 9 with an AC window of 37 which seems pretty medicore, but it has very low landing lag, 12 frames, and does 13% making it safe on shield if you land behind them or space it properly. (-3 on Shield, +4 on shield drop). Hitbox:

The Hitbox doesn't seem too special on its own, but Wario's hand and head are intangible during it making it very useful in multiple matchups as a phenomenal juggling tool. This silly clap will beat out moves such as: Clean hit of Clouds Dair (yes, the clean hit), Link Dair, Metaknight's Dair, ROB Nair, Ike Nair, etc. You name it, it beats it. The Hitbox can be awkward to land on grounded opponents, but the reward is massive at nearly every %. At very low %s, you can go for falling uair -> utilt -> uair for a solid 36%, at low-mid %s, you can go for uair -> waft or uair -> footstool -> lock with falling fair, at mid to high %s you can go for uair -> rising hit of Waft or uair -> uair which does 26%, and even at fairly high %s (around 90 on light chars, 100 on midweights, 110 on heavies) you can continue the uair -> rising hit of waft.

Overall:
Pros:
-Beats out 99% of the moves in the game
-Great juggle tool
-Amazing combo starter
-Kill confirm
-Does solid damage on its own
-Safe on Block

Cons:
-Mediocre startup
-Only active for 2 frames
-Awkward to land on grounded opponents
-Doesn't kill as early as the other heavy uairs (It can get the job done, but it's not a prime kill move)

Imo, it's an A tier move as it does most things you'd want a uair to do.

Last edited:

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
:4gaw:'s Uair should be bumped to B:

Pros:
- Amazing gimp tool
- Gimpy windbox
- Windbox can kill off the top if they jump...?
- Kill confirm from D-Throw
- Low landing lag (12 frames for first hit, no lag for second hit)
- Falling first hit combos into grab

Cons:
- Tiny hitbox
- First hit doesn't consistently combo into second hit
- G&W's fastest aerial, which comes out at frame 6, which is kinda slow

:4gaw:'s Uair is a really weird move. Although it's a difficult move to hit due to the small hitbox, odds are that you'll hit the windbox which can also kill (if they jump out of it). It also combos out of down throw, giving G&W his signature "Toot Toot". Overall, it's a move with low commitment and pretty good reward, so I think it deserves to move up to B tier.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I have to disagree with :4gaw: being moved up. Yes, he has the Toot-toot, but beyond that? The all-important second hit is super inconsistant. Sometimes the first hit knocks opponents far enough away to avoid it, and the huge windbox stops you from throwing it out early to try and bypass the first hit.

Also, I could be missing something (haven't been playing :4gaw: for very long), but how exactly is Uair a gimp? The windbox pushes opponents straight up. If they were recovering, additional vertical momentum is rarely a bad thing, and it pushes them away from Game & Watch, making it hard to follow up with anything. It also does zero damage from the windbox, so stalling descending opponents is just that: stalling. They will land eventually.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
DKs up air needs moved up. This move has an amazing autocancel window, kills super early, is part of probably the best kill confirm in the game, and comboes at low %s. The hitbox is also pretty great too.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I see comments about Uairs getting ranked up because reasons, & then I remind myself that I could go that route too because Shulk can combo Uair into another Uair. Except that Uairx2 is a kill on platform stages at low-mid percents. On flat stages, Uair → Uair is a kill confirm at high-mid percents.

https://gfycat.com/ShrillLeftElver

But I won't go that route & claim that Shulk Uair is A or B-tier. The hitbox & activity for the first hit is still hard to land & not easy to convert off moments. Sure the second hitbox is ridiculously tall for a vertical hitbox because it outbeats things like Rosa Dair & Cloud Dair, but you have to wait till frame 23 / 24, & the linger effect just isn't there. It's also a skinny hitbox & not wide like some Uairs such as Marth & Roy's. So like I said, I could argue B-tier because Uair can kill confirm into Uair, but that takes a lot of focus & skill to get those said moments. Feels really freaking good to land though.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Why is Ness S but Bowser and Donkey Kong B?
Just from what I feel, Ness uses the move much more. And that's just about it from me, the principle of usage alone is why I'd rate it higher. Bowser afaik only uses the move after a throw, and DK can autocancel from a short hop as well as frame trapping to set up for more grabs. So honestly I'd see DK rank up from a brief thought about it. Just not in-depth though.

TheRabidChipmunk

Smash Cadet
Why is Ness S but Bowser and Donkey Kong B?
The biggest difference I see is Ness's uair is not just a powerful kill move, but a powerful neutral tool as well, since landing with it is safe on block as it only has 14 frames of landing lag. DK and Bowser's uairs are less versatile, though I will argue DK's uair is the better of the two.

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
The biggest difference I see is Ness's uair is not just a powerful kill move, but a powerful neutral tool as well, since landing with it is safe on block as it only has 14 frames of landing lag. DK and Bowser's uairs are less versatile, though I will argue DK's uair is the better of the two.
:4dk:'s Uair is actually very versatile.

Besides being the second half of his iconic Ding Dong combo, Uair is DK's fastest aerial that comes out frame 6 and lasts to frame 10. From frame 1-10, DK's head is intangible, which makes this a pretty good juggle tool, due to the disjoint. Unlike:4bowser:, DK's Uair auto-cancels out of a short hop, so you can use the move as a mind game. The move itself has pretty decent range, thanks to the little tuft on the top of his head. :4dk:'s Uair is very strong and the range that the opponent can DI is small, so the % that it kills off the top is pretty consistent. Since it has a disjoint, it cleanly trades with high priority aerials such as :4cloud:'s Dair, which is really useful in those matchups.

Yes, :4dk:>:4bowser:, however they do have different uses outside of Ding Dong and Shell Shock.

BSP

Smash Legend
Falcon's Uair is easily S tier. The move is literally un-punishable on shield if done properly and easily converts into massive damage combos and/or kills, all while sporting good reach and damage (intangible legs? I've heard this was a thing, but I'm not sure). The move is broken honestly, but luckily Falcon's disadvantage state scales him back.

Pac-Man's is the definition of mediocre. C tier is where it belongs. It's got decent reach, active frames, combo potential and damage, but it doesn't KO until ~180%.

Edit: No way Villager's Uair belongs in the same tier as Pac-Man's. Villager's should probably be A. You need a sword to challenge it, it's fast, strong, and almost lingers for 30 frames. The randomness hurts it, but triple turnip alone warrants A.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4shulk:'s up air isn't a good move. Probably D tier.

Advantages:
  • Most powerful uair in terms of knockback (killing with it at 50-60% near the top blastline or with high Rage is not uncommon), and does a whopping 16%. In Buster, a raw uair will do 24%.
  • Uair1/2 are powerful combo starters if you happen to ever land them, they're particularly useful against taller opponents.
  • 15 frames of landing lag combined with its sheer shieldstun makes it unpunishable on a platform bound opponent regardless of whatever Art you're in. Most drop shield on reaction after you perform it, which means that if you have high Rage or if you're in Smash Art it's practically a free kill for you with up tilt.
  • The size of uair 2's hitbox is that of a ****ing skyscraper. It can hit from under Smashvile ffs.
  • Can be combo'd into through up tilt 50/50s in Jump, and of course the infamous Monado Purge.
Disadvantages:
  • Absolutely horrendous hitbox activity (hits 1 and 2 last only two frames each) absolutely bodies most of the utility the move could have otherwise.
  • Most have a tendency to fall out of the move due to there being a 9-frame window between the two hits where there is no hitbox, along with hit 1 having two different angles for no reason. The animation is misleading, too, making you believe the move would linger similarly to something like Cloud uair/dair when it doesn't.
  • Doesn't autocancel whatsoever, even if the landing lag is quite low for it.
  • Rather lacking in horizontal range, and most smartly-timed airdodges will beat it due to its very low active frames.
  • Frame 14 startup is really bad. Frame 22 startup for hit 2 is even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Falcon's Uair is easily S tier. The move is literally un-punishable on shield if done properly and easily converts into massive damage combos and/or kills, all while sporting good reach and damage (intangible legs? I've heard this was a thing, but I'm not sure). The move is broken honestly, but luckily Falcon's disadvantage state scales him back.
So how do you think it would be if it wasn't nerfed back in 1.0.8.?

BSP

Smash Legend
So how do you think it would be if it wasn't nerfed back in 1.0.8.?
Even dumber. It wouldn't let you blockstring into anything I don't think, but it would be even safer + Falcon's earlier combos would do more damage. It would combo less like MrWhYYZ said, but it would also KO ~20% earlier. I'm no Falcon expert but I'd take the prepatch version back.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
:4miisword:up air should be s rank in my opinion for the following reasons:

• Very generous autocancels.
  • High duration and active frames
  • Massive range especially vertically and has horizontal range better then it looks.
  • Deals very high damage(16 on clean hit and 10% on late hit.
  • Very versatile as it can not only juggle but it can frame trap and outright kill you.
  • The strongest up air in the game if my math is correct.
The main down side is its on a character with a frame 7 jumpsquat but otherwise this move is dumb good.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
It took me a while to realize I have to do this now.

Uair:

Next, Nair.
List for reference:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Link's Nair is Excellent, about on par with the other sex kick aerials. It's an excellent combo tool out of weak nair, having Several Kill confirms (Including Dash attack and Up-B), the strong one hits really hard, and it's not bad at getting him out of some conbos. Definitely better than C, about as good as all the other standard Sex Kicks up in A.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
For Falcon, would a move to A be somewhat applicable (though B is perfectly fine)?

Pros
  • Second fastest aerial in his toolset (comes out on frame 7)
  • A useful tool in combos (combos from down throw at low percents, and can easily lead into either another Nair or a Uair)
  • Landing the first hit near the ground can confirm into a grab or footstool (the latter can lead to some really flashy combos ending with a knee).
  • Minimal landing lag (12 frames)
  • Sufficient hitbox
Cons
  • Not quick enough to be a viable combo breaker
  • Hard to land on short characters

Nah

Smash Champion
Bayo Nair could possibly be S, it's kinda nuts imo

also I totally forgot about it till now, but I noticed on the Uair lists that Doc's is 2 tiers below Mario's/Luigi's, why is that?

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
Wario's Nair is interesting with lots of pros and cons.

Pros:
-First hit active frame 4, last hit ends frame 38
-Combo tool (combos into his best kill move leading to stocks ending after getting naired at 20%)
-Can link into itself for more damage with platform extensions
-Low landing lag (12 frames)
-Crossup potential to make it very hard to punish
-2 hits, so people are prone to dropping shield after the first one and getting hit by the part that actually combos

Cons:
-Bad hitbox
-Gap between first hit and second hit
-First hit stops linking into the second hit past 45% on most chars

It's a key tool in Wario's kit that really links it together, it's his most basic waft combo tool (imo) and can lead into techchase/missed tech punish opportunities. Coincidentally, around the % it stops linking into itself it will start forcing the opp into tumble. Miss the tech, you get jab locked and fsmashed/wafted. Probably A tier in terms of Wario's kit, likely B tier on any other character who doesn't have Waft.

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
You could even argue that :4link:'s N-air is better than many of the A tier N-airs. It comes out @ Frame 7 and lingers for 24 frames, so it's a great edge guarding tool. It is also a combo starter, extender, and finisher, since it comes out fast and has very little end lag. It combos from D-Throw, weak D-air, weak N-air, first hit B-air, Bomb, Boomerang, F-air, and even more. It combos into Dash Attack, F-air, D-air, Bomb, Boomerang, Arrow, Grab, another N-air, B-air...It doesn't stop! It even kills @ at a generous % if it isn't staled from using it for everything. Also note that N-air is also a very good defensive move. The hitbox covers all of :4link:'s body, especially in front of him, making it a good option to stuff approaches and a good landing option as well. It is also :4link:'s best OoS option by far.

Clearly a better N-air than C tier. It is such a useful and versatile move in both offense and defense. I think :4link: has a better N-air than at least :4jigglypuff:, :4metaknight:, and :4lucina:, but that's debatable. A tier.

Another N-air that is highly under-placed: :4dk:

:4dk:'s N-air is NOT D tier. It's probably B tier. Here's why:

PROS:
- Large hitbox, hits on all sides
- Hits pretty hard
- Lasts a long time (Frames 10-26)
- Autocancels out of short hop
- Low end lag
- Low landing lag
- Combo starter, extender and finisher

CONS:
- Kinda slow startup
- Low priority

It's a pretty good move, it is definitely not D tier. Both its weak and strong hitbox are useful, it's safe, and combos into a LOT of stuff.

Watch this video to see what :4dk:'s N-air can do. I think this move is at least B tier. It's so much better than all of the D tiers and C tiers (except :4link:, because he's A tier).

EDIT: Here's another video.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Hey, I noticed a bunch of people complaining about having to respond to every character, so I created a new form you can use for the next move with dropdown menus. PM me your email, and I can give you the link. Just copy the form for another move.
I also made a spreadsheet that should automate the data->list process.
Thanks a lot!

BTW, my email is skeetermania455@gmail.com.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot!

BTW, my email is skeetermania455@gmail.com.
I sent it to you. I think you can copy both of them into your own drive, and work from there. To use for another move, just replace the relevant parts in the title. The responses sheet has three pages: the response page, which stores the responses directly; the data page, which shows the averages and ranks the characters, and the placings page, which shows their tiers. It runs on an S-F, 6-0 system like the average tier list for this thread.
You're lucky you replied now, because I'm literally just about to leave to go to the woods for a few days...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Charziard's Nair should definitely be moved to B tier.

It's a fairly useful defensive tool.

Then again, looking at the list, seems a lot of the cast has a useful Nair. Even the ones in lower tiers.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Not sure why Meta Knight's nair is in A tier, it's kind of mediocre.

Also, Mewtwo's nair should be A tier, the hitbox is massive and lasts a very long time. Not to mention that it combos into a bunch of other stuff, like the footstool Disable combo.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Even dumber. It wouldn't let you blockstring into anything I don't think, but it would be even safer + Falcon's earlier combos would do more damage. It would combo less like MrWhYYZ said, but it would also KO ~20% earlier. I'm no Falcon expert but I'd take the prepatch version back.
I think it would also be a kill confirm from down throw.

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
One of the most underrated and interesting N-air's in the game belongs to :4kirby:. It has a total of 4 different hitboxes: Earliest, Early, Normal, and Late hitbox, dealing 10, 8, 6, and 4 damage respectively. This gives the move a whole bunch of different uses with all the different hitboxes. Also, it has so little lag, where the earliest hit has 10 frames of landing lag, and 73 FAF, but the last 3 hitboxes have no landing lag and no end lag. It comes out decently fast @ frame 10 and lingers for 24 more frames. Due to the move having no lag, it can lead into many different follow ups: At low-percents, any hit combos into grab, F-air, and all of his tilts. At mid-percents, if you hit them low to the ground, it can be difficult to tech because the angle it sends you, which can lead into a D-Tilt jab lock. At high-percents, it can kill if it's not staled.

It's also a good defensive tool. Due to the fact that :4kirby: spins his entire body around, it covers all sides of him, making it a really good tool to stuff approaches. Since the hitbox lasts so long, you can cover a lot of space around :4kirby:, making it a tiny bit harder to approach. It's also quite safe on shield as long as you hit one of the last three hitboxes since it has no lag.

The versatility and uses of :4kirby:'s N-air is comparable to that of :4wario:'s, :4rob:'s or :4myfriends:'s N-airs, who are all in B-Tier. So, naturally, I think :4kirby: also belongs in B-Tier.

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
....Why is Doc's Ftilt ranked below Mario's? It's literally the same move but Doc's does 1% more. Wario's ftilt in B tier... Yup that's a r/smashbros list

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
....Why is Doc's Ftilt ranked below Mario's? It's literally the same move but Doc's does 1% more. Wario's ftilt in B tier... Yup that's a r/smashbros list
Ignore that. I actually did the math wrong. Doc should be above Mario.

Here's the new corrected list!

MAJOR UPDATE INCOMING: The up tilt list is now up!

YET ANOTHER MAJOR UPDATE: The down tilt list is now up!

EXTRA MAJOR UPDATE: The forward smash list is now up!

AND ANOTHER MAJOR UPDATE: The up smash list is now up!

Credit to ARGHETH ARGHETH and Funbot28 Funbot28 for spreadsheet and idea, respectively.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I completely forgot about this...
Nair:

Next: Fair!

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Aw. Kinda sad that Dedede's Nair was placed so low when it's his best move in his entire kit.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I'm not sure if Fox should go to A because of the enormous utility as far as starting jab locks and gimping. Sure, that enormous utility is undeniable, but A could be pushing it.

As for Yoshi, keep him where he is :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is Charizard's so low?

His Fair is quite good.