• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Question and Thoughts Thread

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Have a question or thought on your mind?
Want an answer from random people?
Want a bunch of random feedback and opinions?
Maybe it's even rhetorical or philosophical, maybe it needs no answer or discussion.
Doesn't matter how silly, naive, or intelligent it is....

let's see where this goes...

Mine is rather rhetorical and I randomly thought of it after getting my 46th free Redbox rental today via text...

How much money do you think Redbox makes off of people who use free rental codes because they end up turning in their free rental late or lose it?

They made $0 off me so far :]

Last edited:

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
Quite a bit of money.

Chicken first or the egg?

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Chicken. Too easy to argue why tho. So I guess.

Which is better? A "big body" car for safety, or a "small body" for fuel economy?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I think that depends on a lot of factors. If you live in a smaller town where there isn't much traffic or fast thoroughfares then I'd go with the smaller car. If you live in a place where there is a high chance of traffic and high speed collisions like L.A. then go for safety over economy. I had to get a SUV because I buy and sell a lot of bigger stuff now, but I still have my original car which is very fuel efficient for road trips and casual driving.

I think about Nature vs. Nurture a lot. And it's kind of scary just how impressionable most children are when they are young (and some when they are even adults). The things they copy and the the habits or behavior that they carry into their adult life, it would seem that a lot is out of their control. Religion is a good example, 95% of the time it's a product of being indoctrinated as a kid by your parents or community into believing and following a certain belief. At an age where you don't know what is real or what isn't, what is right or wrong, far too young to make such wild conclusions about the world around you. Really it's just a product of where you grew up and what your family decided to follow. But still people so confidently think that their God and religion has to be the right one, never questioning just how circumstantial and "fixed" their pathway to following 1 particular religion out of the possible tens of thousands was.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
First I want to contest the answer to the chicken or the egg answer. Fish and dinosaurs laid eggs but they never laid chickens. Thus the correct answer is always egg.

For the nature vs nurture statement, I agree. I think wise people realize this and they need to look at themselves from the outside. Why do I believe in what I believe, is it because that is what my loved ones in my environment believe or do I actually believe? If the answer is the first one then you best get away from them and compose your thoughts and feelings into what you believe. More people need to do this. I know people who vote for politicians that they don't agree with for the basics of "they're Republican and that is what my family always votes for." When you speak to them as a person and talk about politics you realize that what they are voting for is not what they actually stand for.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I also want to contest the Chicken and the egg one. Given that time is and always has been infinite, I reason that at the very beginning of time (relative to itself, so basically whenever) a random formation of atoms happened to coalesce in the exact form of a living, breathing chicken. This chicken probably died relatively quickly of asphyxiation, floating around in space and all. This also happened to an egg, at the same exact time, so both came first, and neither came first.

And I laugh when people call themselves Republican/Democrat, but then you ask them about their views, and they seemingly agree completely with the other side.

My question is, why can't I fall asleep?

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Maybe you're like me, insomniac!

Lol, for real. Try drinking something to help you relax at night, like tea (Chai helps a lot, imo) for example. Or take some Equate sleep aids if nothing else works. My 2cents man.

Steak cooked rare, over well done? Better texture? Better taste? etc.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Maybe as a professor.

For a curiosity of redbox. I heard that if you rent a game and pay every day for the rental (We'll use Destiny as an example.) if paid $60 for the entire rental, you get to keep the game and never return it (since the mentioned price is the same as what the game costs) is this true?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Maybe as a professor.

For a curiosity of redbox. I heard that if you rent a game and pay every day for the rental (We'll use Destiny as an example.) if paid $60 for the entire rental, you get to keep the game and never return it (since the mentioned price is the same as what the game costs) is this true?
Nah rental copies cost more than a normal copy (even though most of the time they are inferior neutered versions). Sometimes they are special "rental" copies sometimes not.

Well actually I only know this is true for movies I assume the same applies to games. Redbox has to pay extra to attain a license from the creators and distributors for the right to rent it out and make money off it, that cost is worked into the physical copy.

Now you could claim that you "lost it" and I think the cost is $69 + tax in your state. That cost is a courtesy I'm pretty sure, because I know they pay more than that. Maybe by the time one gets "lost" they've already made their money on it.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I've been thinking about this more than I should but...

In Toy Story why does Buzz Lightyear think he's an actual space ranger yet act like a toy whenever a human comes by?

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I am a realist so I will tell you that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

As for the Toy Story question, I.....I don't know. My mind is blown!

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I've been thinking about this more than I should but...

In Toy Story why does Buzz Lightyear think he's an actual space ranger yet act like a toy whenever a human comes by?
Buzz Lightyear knows that he can't blow his cover, it would jeopardize his mission. Scientist would no doubt capture him, vivisect him, and study him like a caged animal.

So he has to swallow his pride and play along with the natives, abide by their primitive beliefs and customs. He plays the naive and arrogant cards to throw off his true nature and intentions. Then....when he's ready he can take over planet Earth.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I am a realist so I will tell you that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Nice George Carlin quote.

Steak cooked rare, over well done? Better texture? Better taste? etc.
Done/Well done, cooked over a FIYAHH. I don't eat that rare/basically raw stuff; I'm not a wolf. And I personally prefer the air, not the rare. I won't make more puns I swear.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I do medium rare - well done

I love it charred a bit, and with A-1 and cracked pepper.

The only time I'll eat anywhere close to rare is when it's prime rib, filet mignon, or some high quality type of beef like Kobe. Cheap steak or cheap cuts of steak prepared rare taste like nothing but blood, not very good IMO.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Smh... Yall missing out, lol. Blue rare -> rare the best! That chewy, juicy flavor. Dont even have to add anything to the steak. All it gonna do is **** with the natural flavor, haha.

But i'll admit, blue rare. Might be pushing it a bit.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Wow.....so Wendy's is doing $4 10 pc. nugget combo meals now.

They finally aren't a colossal rip-off..... Seriously Wendy's has gone down the crap-shoot just within the past 4 years. Used to be a favorite place of mine during college. Now they are overpriced, the food is always cold, and it tastes worse than McD most of the time (it's really bad when McD is fresher than you....)

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Going off what Plunder said, Woody's line "We gotta break a few rules" when he talks to the Mutant toys implies that each and every toy has the understanding that they cannot come to life in front of humans. There must be a certain trait that has them resist any evidence of their sentience among humans in order to preserve their secret world. At certain points, however, these toys may break this when they feel mistreated by their owner; as was the case with Sid.

Since I'm in a Toy Story mood I'll ask something I've been meaning to discuss: How durable are to toys in Toy Story? By durability I mean the extent at which they can resist/handle pain.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
The one who invented it? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Well, you're not wrong.

And why the hell do we have fingernails/toenails? They don't really serve much of a practical use.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well, you're not wrong.

And why the hell do we have fingernails/toenails? They don't really serve much of a practical use.
Remember that next time you have an itch you can't scratch :evil:

Toenails I can agree with.....

I think they are just leftover claws from when we probably used to use them for protection or hunting.
Most predators don't even have to really maintain their claws, etc because they actually use them A LOT. We stopped a LONG LONG time ago....CUZ WE TOO SMART NOW! FOOD COME TO ME! *clap clap*

I have one: Who put the Alphabet in alphabetical order?
You ever wondered why a keyboard is in the order it's in? That's an interesting piece of trivia.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Why is it when several big gaming channels on YouTube do unboxing videos of products by the likes of Astro (the Beats of gaming headsets), Origin PC (Over priced pre built crap), Razer (Products look good, fugly price tags and bad build quality), or some other popular brand; They seem to be little more than shills for the product?

Why do sponsorships demand the unboxer to be a kiss ass?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
^ Well, because, sometimes they get revenue about it. Some don't, but I can see that others might.

Anyway, on question:

Why is it BAD to put metal in a microwave? Like, what exactly 'triggers' the malfunction?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
^ Well, because, sometimes they get revenue about it. Some don't, but I can see that others might.

Anyway, on question:

Why is it BAD to put metal in a microwave? Like, what exactly 'triggers' the malfunction?
It just has to do with how well metal conducts electricity, a lot of free electrons that can easily transfer energy. In this case it's microwave energy being easily converted into plasma or high voltage arcing. Organic substances for the most part absorb it instead, so they transfer the energy into themselves in the form of heating up.

You can actually safely put metal in a microwave, but it has to be flat, no edges or even curved edges. If you've ever had one of those "crispy" microwave frozen foods like Red Baron pizza or Hot pockets, those actually have metal sleeves and plates to reflect the microwave energy.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Whenever I hear a new ridiculous embarrassment of a song come out I wish I could travel through time and show it to Mozart or Ben Franklin....and just tape their reactions to it.

Here is the most recent offender -
For the record I like Avril and many of her songs, just not this one.....ever

After it's over I would proclaim....."This is the future of music" then *POOF* I vanish back to present day. They spend the rest of their lives trying to comprehend what just transpired on that fateful day.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I would assume they'd be offended by the noobish taste that future generations would have. :facepalm:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Why is it when several big gaming channels on YouTube do unboxing videos of products by the likes of Astro (the Beats of gaming headsets), Origin PC (Over priced pre built crap), Razer (Products look good, fugly price tags and bad build quality), or some other popular brand; They seem to be little more than shills for the product?

Why do sponsorships demand the unboxer to be a kiss ***?
They don't demand it, it's just usually gaming/comedy channels are run by *******. If you ever watch brosciencelife he's really relax about sponsors as in pretty much disrespects it as an advertisement and just mentions it's existence.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
A horse sized duck would probably taste better.

On a completely unrelated note, what does horse and/or duck taste like?
I've had Duck before. It's actually quite delicious, but it's not for everyone.

I've heard people describe it as a "buttery, gamey" chicken. It's basically just a bit "greasier" because there is a bit more fat and less density in the meat concerning muscle content.

Horse meat I've heard all kinds of things, like it tastes like a cross between venison and steak.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Has anyone been into an actual fight with someone (In real life, not online or verbal. Like, an actual physical confrontation...)?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea only once and it was over something really dumb.

My older brother and I were on a school bus on our way home and one of the kids was always rather annoying and he'd always pick on my brother and antagonize him (I was 14, my bro was 16). Even at that age I could already tell this kid was gay and had a crush on my bro, so I called him out in front of the whole bus and basically just said something like "You're rather annoying, stop trying to get my brother's attention every day he's not into dudes". He took great offense to this even though it was the truth, he was still in the closet trying to hide it by having a "girlfriend".

He went home and told his older brother who was 5 years older than me. He came over, was furious, and picked a fight with me and my brother. He said "Did you call my brother gay?!" I told him what happened and he charged me. At this point in my life I had taken 3 years of taekwondo, so I knew all the weak points of the body. He was much taller and stronger; I knew I couldn't take him head-on so I lowered my head, locked my hand in my fist, and rammed my elbow hard into his solar plexus as he ran at me. He fell to the ground gasping for air just as my dad came out yelling at him to get lost. My dad was really buff at the time (in the AF reserves) I was actually kind of afraid he might do serious harm to the kid if he didn't leave.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Yea only once and it was over something really dumb.

My older brother and I were on a school bus on our way home and one of the kids was always rather annoying and he'd always pick on my brother and antagonize him (I was 14, my bro was 16). Even at that age I could already tell this kid was gay and had a crush on my bro, so I called him out in front of the whole bus and basically just said something like "You're rather annoying, stop trying to get my brother's attention every day he's not into dudes". He took great offense to this even though it was the truth, he was still in the closet trying to hide it by having a "girlfriend".

He went home and told his older brother who was 5 years older than me. He came over, was furious, and picked a fight with me and my brother. He said "Did you call my brother gay?!" I told him what happened and he charged me. At this point in my life I had taken 3 years of taekwondo, so I knew all the weak points of the body. He was much taller and stronger; I knew I couldn't take him head-on so I lowered my head, locked my hand in my fist, and rammed my elbow hard into his solar plexus as he ran at me. He fell to the ground gasping for air just as my dad came out yelling at him to get lost. My dad was really buff at the time (in the AF reserves) I was actually kind of afraid he might do serious harm to the kid if he didn't leave.
Holy ****

Top Bottom