• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Old School Team

Tevin_T@lB@iN150

Smash Cadet
Since I still have some stuff to cover,I might not have my perfect team yet,so I would love suggestions on how to make it better.

Poliwrath@Muscle Band
Ability: Water Absorb
Hardy Nature
252HP/252Atk/6SP.Def

Mind Reader
Dynamic Punch
Hypnosis
Brick Break

Obviously,this guy right here is for attack.Mind Reader is to ensure that Dynamic Punch will hit without fail and Hypnosis I kept so that it will turn the tide of a fight.I might need to rebreed this one but I love it's Water Absorb so I'm not sure if I want to.

Meganium@Focus Band
Ability: Overgrow
Impish Nature
252Def/252SP.Def/6HP

Safeguard
Synthesis
Grass Knot(probably changing that)
Reflect

This is my support,kind of like how a white mage is in Final Fantasy.Safeguard is to protect from the many status effects out there and reflect is self explanatory.I like using Grass Knot to get rid of heavier Pokemon such as Steelix and Garchomp.

Gengar@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Calm Nature
252Sp.Atk/252Spd/6Sp.Def.

Nighmare
Mean Look
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball

I just love Gengar, so I had to have him on my team.Hypnosis and Nightmare work in sync with each other and Mean Look is too take care of you trainers who love to switch out.Shadow Ball is also a lot stronger thanks to the Life Orb.

Scizor@Muscle Band
Ability: Swarm
Bold Nature
252HP/252Def/6Atk

Swords Dance
Iron Head
Night Slash
X-Scissor

Scizor is attack based despite the Defensive EVs I've given it.All the attacks are self explanatory and there isn't much I can say about Scizor strategy wise.I really should rebreed this one with a Speed Nature,anyone disagree.

Lapras@Leftovers
Bashful Nature
252Hp/252Sp.Def/6/Sp.Atk

Perish Song
Ice Beam
Safeguard
Surf

This Pokemon right here is my pride and joy.I was lucky enough to have a neutral nature and even luckier to have the characteristics it came with.Lapras' HP is up the roof and I made sure that he had an item to keep the HP at a steady level.Anyway, Lapras is a bit of both with Attack and Defense.Perish Song is a last resort and only those who know how to stop it are safe.Safeguard is there just in case I don't take Meganium with me to a battle.Other than that everything else is self-explanatory.

Nidoking@Focus Sash
Ability:Rivalry
Calm Nature
252Def/252Sp.Atk/6Sp.Def

Toxic Spikes
Earth Power
Toxic Spikes
Ice Beam

Nidoking is also another pride and joy of mine and as you can see by the move list,he is bent on screwing my opponent over with Poison.Toxics Spikes is self explanatory and Toxic is for those who think they can escape the spikes(aka Flying types or any PKMN with Levitate).Earth Power is extremely powerful and Ice Beam is there to get those Flyers and Levitaters.I'm thinking of rebreeding this sucker though because I believe I messed up with the training.I'm also trying to decide if I should give this guy a Nidoqueen to work with in Double Battles(even though I'm not a fan of those:laugh:)

So that's the team,so hit me up with any suggestions.

WouW

Smash Lord
Poliwrath@Muscle Band
Hardy Nature
252HP/252Atk/6SP.Def

Mind Reader
Dynamic Punch
Hypnosis
Brick Break

Obviously,this guy right here is for attack.Mind Reader is to ensure that Dynamic Punch will hit without fail and Hypnosis I kept so that it will turn the tide of a fight.I might need to rebreed this one but I love it's Water Absorb so I'm not sure if I want to.
Mind Reader+DynamicPunch is a horrible combo; the opponent could just switch.
Hypnosis is a good enough. Replace Mind Reader/Dynamic Punch with SubPunch or Bulk Up; stuff that actually works. Regardless it's bad as a lead.

Also, a neutral nature sucks.

Meganium@Focus Band
Ability: Overgrow
Impish Nature
252Def/252SP.Def/6HP

Safeguard
Synthesis
Grass Knot(probably changing that)
Reflect

This is my support,kind of like how a white mage is in Final Fantasy.Safeguard is to protect from the many status effects out there and reflect is self explanatory.I like using Grass Knot to get rid of heavier Pokemon such as Steelix and Garchomp.
Bad nature, you want Bold or Calm. Replace Grass Knot with Energy Ball and Safeguard with Aromatherapy.

Gengar@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Calm Nature
252Sp.Atk/252Spd/6Sp.Def.

Nighmare
Mean Look
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball

I just love Gengar, so I had to have him on my team.Hypnosis and Nightmare work in sync with each other and Mean Look is too take care of you trainers who love to switch out.Shadow Ball is also a lot stronger thanks to the Life Orb.
Nightmare is beyond horrible. If you get Hypnosis'd by Gengar you'd switch out before you can mean look; if you Mean Look onto a counter you're probably screwed. Replace Mean Look and nightmare with Focus Blast and Thunderbolt.

Also, your nature sucks, you want Modest or Timid.

Scizor@Muscle Band
Ability: Swarm
Bold Nature
252HP/252Def/6Atk

Swords Dance
Iron Head
Night Slash
X-Scissor

Scizor is attack based despite the Defensive EVs I've given it.All the attacks are self explanatory and there isn't much I can say about Scizor strategy wise.I really should rebreed this one with a Speed Nature,anyone disagree.
This... is beyond suck. Scizor without Bullet Punch, with no Attack EVs and Bold 252/252 defense (dropping your attack even further on the way)!?

Realistic Scizor set:

Scizor @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Adamant/Technician
252Atk/248HP/8Spe
Bullet Punch
Superpower
X-Scissor
Swords Dance/Pursuit

Also, I disagree about your +speed nature comment. Scizor doesn't need speed nearly as much as attack.

Lapras@Leftovers
Bashful Nature
252Hp/252Sp.Def/6/Sp.Atk

Perish Song
Ice Beam
Safeguard
Surf

This Pokemon right here is my pride and joy.I was lucky enough to have a neutral nature and even luckier to have the characteristics it came with.Lapras' HP is up the roof and I made sure that he had an item to keep the HP at a steady level.Anyway, Lapras is a bit of both with Attack and Defense.Perish Song is a last resort and only those who know how to stop it are safe.Safeguard is there just in case I don't take Meganium with me to a battle.Other than that everything else is self-explanatory.
O_O. Lucky enough to have a neutral nature? Neutral Natures suck. Perish Song is way to easily countered (by switching). Safeguard really isn't necessary. Go to Smogon for actually good sets.

Nidoking@Focus Sash
Ability:Rivalry
Calm Nature
252Def/252Sp.Atk/6Sp.Def

Toxic Spikes
Earth Power
Toxic Spikes
Ice Beam

Nidoking is also another pride and joy of mine and as you can see by the move list,he is bent on screwing my opponent over with Poison.Toxics Spikes is self explanatory and Toxic is for those who think they can escape the spikes(aka Flying types or any PKMN with Levitate).Earth Power is extremely powerful and Ice Beam is there to get those Flyers and Levitaters.I'm thinking of rebreeding this sucker though because I believe I messed up with the training.I'm also trying to decide if I should give this guy a Nidoqueen to work with in Double Battles(even though I'm not a fan of those:laugh:)
Toxic Spikes twice? I smell a mistake. There are way better Toxic Spikers (i.e. Roserade) and you'll want full speed and a modest nature and make it all out special (Earth Power, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball) with Choice Specs, or Band it with physical stuff.

So that's the team,so hit me up with any suggestions.
See above for advice.

Anything else I have to say, educate yourself on natures. Where to put your EVs is going into the good direction sometimes, but mostly they can be spent better. As a last comment, your Scizor sucks monkey nuts. And your team is far from perfect.

EDIT: Another comment, educate yourself on general competitive D/P/Pt. Most of the pokés you use aren't very good competitive-wise and those that are are used wrong.

Tevin_T@lB@iN150

Smash Cadet
Mind Reader+DynamicPunch is a horrible combo; the opponent could just switch.
Hypnosis is a good enough. Replace Mind Reader/Dynamic Punch with SubPunch or Bulk Up; stuff that actually works. Regardless it's bad as a lead.

Also, a neutral nature sucks.

Bad nature, you want Bold or Calm. Replace Grass Knot with Energy Ball and Safeguard with Aromatherapy.

Nightmare is beyond horrible. If you get Hypnosis'd by Gengar you'd switch out before you can mean look; if you Mean Look onto a counter you're probably screwed. Replace Mean Look and nightmare with Focus Blast and Thunderbolt.

Also, your nature sucks, you want Modest or Timid.

This... is beyond suck. Scizor without Bullet Punch, with no Attack EVs and Bold 252/252 defense (dropping your attack even further on the way)!?

Realistic Scizor set:

Scizor @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Adamant/Technician
252Atk/248HP/8Spe
Bullet Punch
Superpower
X-Scissor
Swords Dance/Pursuit

Also, I disagree about your +speed nature comment. Scizor doesn't need speed nearly as much as attack.

O_O. Lucky enough to have a neutral nature? Neutral Natures suck. Perish Song is way to easily countered (by switching). Safeguard really isn't necessary. Go to Smogon for actually good sets.

Toxic Spikes twice? I smell a mistake. There are way better Toxic Spikers (i.e. Roserade) and you'll want full speed and a modest nature and make it all out special (Earth Power, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball) with Choice Specs, or Band it with physical stuff.

See above for advice.

Anything else I have to say, educate yourself on natures. Where to put your EVs is going into the good direction sometimes, but mostly they can be spent better. As a last comment, your Scizor sucks monkey nuts. And your team is far from perfect.
I'll work on that I know I made mistakes but thanks for pointing them out so bluntly.By the way the Toxic Spikes was a typo, that was just regular Toxic.Also the reason I like neutral natures is because the characteristics make up for the lack of advantages they have.Other than that I'll take your advice.

c3gill

Smash Ace
generally what wouw said was correct, couldve been a little lighter on the criticisms though. Neutral Natures arent what you should be running, and your sets need some work.

Before you rebreed or contemplate and remake your team, hop on shoddy and practice with your team. Poliwrath isnt a good OU starter, and most of your team is weak to very common sets.

Having Mean Look on Gengar really stuck out as a bad decision- Mean Look is great if you have a pokemon that sets up well against the trapped pokemon, but you dont (if this is what your going for, USE UMBREON!!!!). Mean Look-> Perish song is meh at best, as your team is going to suffer serious damage by the trapped pokemon before fainting.

but for reals, play your team some- it doesnt look like it will do well in the current meta.

Tevin_T@lB@iN150

Smash Cadet
generally what wouw said was correct, couldve been a little lighter on the criticisms though. Neutral Natures arent what you should be running, and your sets need some work.

Before you rebreed or contemplate and remake your team, hop on shoddy and practice with your team. Poliwrath isnt a good OU starter, and most of your team is weak to very common sets.

Having Mean Look on Gengar really stuck out as a bad decision- Mean Look is great if you have a pokemon that sets up well against the trapped pokemon, but you dont (if this is what your going for, USE UMBREON!!!!). Mean Look-> Perish song is meh at best, as your team is going to suffer serious damage by the trapped pokemon before fainting.

but for reals, play your team some- it doesnt look like it will do well in the current meta.
Yeah I've practiced with this team with others already which is why I posted it up here.I wanted to know why I kept losing.

Top Bottom