• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RagnaRoK's Ultimate Roy Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
RoK's Guide Version. 2.0

Many didn't like my last guide, probably because I didn't explain it with enough "Thought" as they said, otherwise, they want me to expand it to the point where even a ******** preschooler can understand it, so that's excatly what I will. So without further adue, the updated version of how to play Roy Correctly and win.
(Wave Dashing, JC Grabbing, SHFFL'ing Wave Landing, CC'ing and CC Smashing are discuss at the very bottom of this guide.)

Important facts for first timers.

Its important that you learn to wavedash, JC Grab and use the C-stick for smash attacks in order to use Roy, otherwise he will be sluggish and not as quick as he should be, lets get that that known.
Roy is not as quick as Marth as far as attack speed goes, he has a few more frames on the smash attack, and has tremendous lag on the bottom attack. His running animation and Marth's are nearly identical, so with the right timing, dexterity can be severly increased with proper L-Canceling going into the dashing animation.

Openers **Note** SHFFL' All moves!!!! (Same for other sections)
The main reason Roy usual have problems to kill is because when he starts off fighting someone of moderate weight who is 0%, most of his attacks don't move them much and they can come back with an extreme assault, as Roy gives a bit below normal damage, its seemingly hard to rack up attacks. So therefore, you want to start yourself off with these opening combos as to hurt an opponent good enough for you to begin combo'ing and going for a kill, examples of these are given below. (All Must be done directly from 0%)

RoK-Bo #1

Dash, JC grab, Forward Throw, Dash, JC Grab, Forward Throw(or Back) Forward Smash (C-stick).

Dash and grab, then throw forward, they won't hit the ground and will be vulnerable, you can thus again dash and JC grab and forward throw once more. By this time, they have damage and can fall to the ground and tech out the way of any more throws, so you want to quickly use your C-Stick to smash them, or, if they're too far, you wish to wave dash and then smash attack them (Same for if you throw them in the back of you)
RoK-Bo #2

Dash, JC Grab, Forward throw, Dash, Nair, Forward Smash (C-Stick).

Dash and grab, then forward throw. Thus again they won't hit the ground, and will be vulnerable, soon as you throw dash and follow up with a nuetral air, SHFFL' this, it should pop them up just enough to fit in a forward smash and send them a good distance.
RoK-Bo #3

Dash, JC grab, Forward Throw, Dash, Crouch Canceled down tilt, Forward Smash (C-stick).

Dash and grab, then forward throw. Thus once more, they won't hit the ground and you can strike. Soon as they are thrown, dash forward and smash down on the control stick to stop running, hold the position and hit A for your down tilt, it should send them airborne, they shouldn't be able to DI too far with such low damage, forward smash them to finish this. (There are other openers I use, if enough GOOD response is given and people like it, I will post more, same with other sections).

Damagers (Middle percents "When they can still be juggled")

RoK's Insta Smash (Make sure opponent isn't crouching when doing this, otherwise they won't move and the grab won't be effective, as you'll get hit)

Dash, Fair, Grab, Down Throw, Forward Smash.

Dash at them, making sure they either just missed an attack or you have an opening. Forward air them, try to sweet spot it for max effect, grab them as soon as the hit is done, Throw them down, which will make them land behind you, afterwards, Forward smash them. *** Note, this works very well in Roy Dittos***

RoK's Train.

Dash, Fair, Down Tilt, Nair, Forward Smash.

Dash at them, then Forward air stunning them just enough so that you can down tilt them, now, remember that the down tilt is jump cancellable if pulled at the right time. Move forward into a Nuetral air to connected. (***Note*** if damage is high this next piece won't work) Forward smash soon afterwards to connect, this is nice and is an eye opener. (Got BlueZaft with it once... though I ran outta room and couldn't forward smash... suicided and died... oh sad sad sad.)

RoK's Insta classic.

Dash, Uair, Forward Smash.

This is extemely hard to someone who is just getting familiar with a C-stick and keep tapping up on the control stick and trying to press A and ends up getting an extra jump. Roy's Uair is one of his best, if not the best forward smash setup due to its ability to knock someone up, but not far enough to where a smash can't be fitted end. Although takes some practice and if you don't connect with the right part you're screwed.
Dash at them, SHHL' and use your Up air (Short hop, Control stick up, Fast fall with control stick and L Cancel), Should pop them up just enough, Forward smash and finish it.

Finishers "Death Bringers"

RoK Said, "Don't say ****" ***EXTREMELY HARD****

While an opponent is off the edge, you'll notice its particular hard for Roy to do an attack off of the cliff on an opponent. This move does that and prevents them from being able to come back, thats not the hard part, the hard part is actually being able to not suicided.

Edgehog> See them coming>Tap back to let go of the edge>Immediately tape Y to jump>Tilt control stick a bit to the direction you want to do your B (Flare blade) into direction of your foe. > Immediately Up+B (No horizontal ) and grasp the edge.

I've done this on several occassions, must practice it more to not suicided so much. But trust me, unexpected and can kill quickly.

RoK's Peach Stopper.

This can kill a variety, I named it peach because it can kill her at relatively low percents without having too much of a problem. When they're damage is high enough where you think a down smash can kill them, however, you don't want to risk the lag time, do this combo.

Dash, Fair, Downsmash.

RoK's Nuff said.

Contrary to popular opinion, Roy has a good Dair, you can use it in two ways, and this can spike in two ways. Bwahahaha.

Edgehog>See opponent coming>Jump+Bair+Holding toward's the direction of the stage, Land on the stage and L-Cancel (Spike)>If it doesn't spike them, but instead sends them up, use the time you did to L-Cancel to immediately do a forward smash.

Miscellaneous moves and findings.

Forward Tilt - This move is pretty good actually, it can serve as a type of way to kill at very high percentages that you can't fit a smash in, Or it can set up for a possible edgeguard which is one of Roy's strongest attributes. Especially againstly Fox. (Counter is a ***** to that buttfire).

Down Tilt - The setup move for most of your advancement combos, and what can setup for some early smashes, or edgehogging/Guarding.

Upward tilt- Not very useful at all, maybe as some sort of defense, but I don't see where the hell this helps you at.

Forward Smash - Roy's best killer actually, this can be used in conjunction with a few others, or wavedashing and Running smashing. (Crouch canceled Smashes.)_

Downward Smash - Nice killer of light characters you just can't seem to kill, or to finish off a heavy character whose standing close to an edge. (Must hit with the tip and send them spiraling diagonally down off of the stage). Trust me, hurts.

UpSmash (Spike's) - Can be used as a chain move against falco and Fox if they land into it, and can be done repeatedly if they don't DI Properly, be sure to punish these types. Also, can be nice to defend against Dair abuses, such as Gannon, Captain Falcon, etc. Also, sometimes its a spike! More on this later when If ind more out.

Counter - Good against Fox And Falco's recovery fire move, kicks ***. Gannon's warlock punch and others. This is a main part of my "Untouchable" Method I'm perfecting. But this can drastically keep the momentum in your favor and frustrate a foe. **Hint** times that you would normally shield, use counter instead.

Blade Dancing - Excellent for edge guarding, meteor spike, and has a third input which is another heavy hitter. (Edge guarding is the forth input down of the dance). Must be sure to use with care, can get severely ****ed up if you leave yourself open, and also, try to time your dancing's right if you're looking for a particular part of the dance, because you're not going to be focused on othe other one's and an opening can be caused.

Up B (Recovery) - This is nice, makes him hard to edge hog if he can get up to the top , fire burns! Also, reverse one of these is an instant jiggly puff killer's for people that like using those sleeper combos and the horrendous wall of pain. Besides this, it can also be used horizontally for even more ground, Simply push up B then tilt your control stick diagonally in the direction you wish to go.

WaveDashing - This is where you slide across the stage, you can do smash attacks and others out of this, useful as most pros do it to get around levels faster, must be practiced, and must have consistent ability to short hop to be truely effect. To do so, Short hop, immediately after pressing the button, air dodge diagonally downwards into the ground.

WaveLanding - Same as Wave Dashing, just air dodge into the ground diagonally once you get close to the ground after a full jump or landing.

Short hop - Used when you're just lightly tapping the jump button to make your character perform a way lower than normal jump, useful in many situations, or in mind games if used alone.

Fast Fall - After you hit the peak of a jump or short hop, smash down on your control stick to go into a faster falling motion, in combination with short hop is how this is most used.

L-Canceling - After you Short hop, Do an attack and then fast fall in the middle of the attack, you push either L,R, or Z to cancel the lag from the move you've did as soon as you hit the ground, better to do this a few frames before hand. (*** Note*** when you should push this button changes when you actually hit someone because the hit lags the frames a bit). Best way of performing Air moves, way quicker.

Dash Dancing - Done by moving the control stick left and right in a quick motio nso that only the first few frames of the dash anmation is shown, as well as a nuetral stance used for "Pivots", or using an attack in the middle of a dash dance.

RoK's Custom Movements.

RoK's Feint.

WaveDash Forward, Wave Dash Back, Wave Dash Forward, Roll forward.

This is just used to confuse the hell out of an opponent. Wave dash forward, more than likely he puts up a shield, so you wave dash back, then you wave dash forward, they're thinking they can counter attack since they possibly know whats coming, so you do the one thing a pro hardly does in melee and actually roll!. Do this and fit in a smash if you can, if not, repeat the process.

RoK's KamiKaze Fakeout

While hanging on the edge, you can jump off of it to attack, but you can also jump backwards. Jump backwards toward's them (This is if you've did the off the edge "RoK said don't say ****" move and killed yourself and your opponent") Be sure to say, "Y'know whats coming", This way they're going to be in anticipation of it. Jump backwards so he's flipping, but as soon as you jump hold towards the stage, and he'll move back to it and grab the edge. Your opponent by this time normally does a recovery move and you can roll up to the stage and set up a smash. Or they'll drop below you to try and do their recovery move just enough to grab the edge, and you can edge hang.

So far, this is it for RoK's Ultimate Roy Guide 2.0 , I got more **** to add but if ****** think it ain't useful I ain't finna waste my time putting down finer tech's I've found out. Speaking of, if you don't like this guide you can go **** yourself! Happy playing!

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
And someone with a donkey kong in a head rag is trying to tell me how to play?.. With an ugly signature?... Think people think.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
And someone with a donkey kong in a head rag is trying to tell me how to play?.. With an ugly signature?... Think people think.
the fact that you judge a persons intelligence by their avatar and prettiness of their signature is reason enough to support my claim, but heres a real diamond in the rough:

ragnarok said:
When we first got Marth and Roy, I was Marth, My friend was Roy, we switched because I'm a pyromaniac and love fire.

roy forum posters..............plz.................if there is one thing you do..................do NOT follow this guide. you can call me all the names you want.............but for the love of god do not follow this guide.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Mkay, i feel like picking this apart.

Don't Expect Roy to be a high juggling type character like Marth. Don't expect him to be as fast as Fox and Captain Falcon. Don't expect him to be able to get back as easily as Jigglypuff or Peach. And don't expect that charging move to ever do that one hit kill or your *** will be frustrated. Roy is not about rapid Juggling, Long winded combos, Infinitate combo, he's about quick kills. (This is explained later)
For a little while there, you actually looked like you're making a good post...all of the above is true.

Expect extreme power from this character
This is where you start going downhill.

Excellent Wave Dashing ability, an excellent out of shield B-Attack, excellent use of Dash Dancing and Sword Dancing. Ability to be able to end a match very quickly.
Roys wavedash, while decent, isnt anything to brag about. Dash dancing + sword dancing is a really good tactic. But an excellent out of shield b-attack??? I hope you're not talking about using his up-b as an attack straight from shield. Even if you fully hit with it, anyone half-way decent will punish after you land. Reverse up-b?? Only works on jiggs, can be DI'd out of on pretty much any stage bigger than yoshis story, and won't work on any jiggs who knows what they're doing. Roy can end a match quickly?? Sure, but your opponent would have to be a downright crappy player to fall into one of roy's quick kills.
...Roy is meant to be the Stronger of the Two, with less work to do to get the same effect. Roy is meant for kills at low percentages. Let me give you an example. Match starts, you grab and throw him backwards, dash dance, combination of (B, up b, down b, down b) Builds damage, If they roll back, (toward the edge), wave Dash Smash attack. Jump off the cliff to pursue, charging b hit them. Flip back and land on the edge, If they're close, Smash attack, if not, Charge up B. Repeat until dead and unable to make it back. Counter attack come back moves as needed.
Mkay...for the sake of argument, lets assume you somehow have foreknowledge of everywhere your opponent will tech, so that the above is possible. Now, lets put that into capton falcons perspective. Start of the match, grab, down-throw. Tech chase knee. You grab the ledge to edgeguard, and then jump off backwards and b-air your opponent on their way back, and then up-b back to the edge, rolling up to edgehog them when they come back. They're dead.
Easy, huh? Alot easier than roy's. Also alot more possible.
This is easily applied to any of the higher tier chars, marth included. Thats why they're higher tier, afterall.
Roy has three excellent kill moves
True enough. I wouldn't call them excellent, especially not the flare blade, but they do kill.
2 excellent spike moves, 1 spike move that is hard to land but is an eye opener if it does.
This, however, is downright wrong.
His first spike, the third DED upper, has only one really feasible way of being combo'd...but it still requires your opponent to be a moron. On marth, down-throw when you're right next to the edge, facing away from it; if they DI towards you, you can go into it. However, if they DI away from you at any time during the throw or the DED combo, they won't be spiked. You're better off just f-smashing them if they DI towards you on a backthrow.
By his second spike, i assume you mean his up-smash. Its way to uncontrolable, and good luck getting into a postion to be able to use it.
Haha, yeah, his d-air spike is definately an eye opener if you hit someone with it. But the only real way to combo into it, d-tilt to dair, isnt useful at all. The sweetspot for it is extremely picky, and its not powerful at all.
All this wouldnt really be that much of a deal, if it wasnt for one thing; even if you hit an opponent with any one of roy's spikes, they can meteor cancel it. Thats the reason why marth and falcos' spikes are so powerful; you can't just jump back to the side of the stage after you get hit by it. And not only does it completely nulify your spike, but its unbelievably easy to do. If you play against someone who doesnt meteor cancel your spikes, odds are, you don't need to use the spikes to beat them. Or rather, you shouldn't.
He also has a list of combos I perform all the the time, this can easily be your key to victory if followed at the right times, I'll explain.
This is another one of roy's glaring weaknesses that most of the people in the roy forums don't understand:
Nearly every combo roy does can and WILL be DI'd out of by someone who knows what they're doing.
Other quick two hit jabs, roy doesnt have any true combos. Down tilt -> f-smash on fast fallers? They DI right, and you f-smash alot of air. F-air to f-smash? Once again, they DI right, you smash alot of air. Double fairs/just about any other string of aerials? Decently timed, everyone has moves that will beat roy's priority.

Smash Forward, Smash Down, Charged B attack.

Smash Forward - This is used to destroy opponents at high percentages that miss with an attack, trying to come down with an attack and are slightly off center or happen to roll into the round location. Use with extreme care.. but extreme predjudice, also a quick kill move.. every move with Roy needs to try and get them to an edge. Also, try to get your opponent to stand perfectly still by you doing the same and not moving. But close enough to do a deadly move, Wave Dash smash attack. Master this.. It will own.
True enough, this is roy's main kill move, and kill it does. Actually hitting with it is the hard part. The sweet spot, while really big, is still closer to the hilt than the tip, so if you're just a inch too far away from your opponent, you'll give them a little love tap instead of a mortal blow.
Wave-smashing is a good skill, and an essential one, but NO ONE is just gonna sit there and take a forward smash after you wavedash up to them.

Smash Down - Used at low damages to throw opponents off balance, to Kill opponents easily at damages over 100% (Except heavy chars like Fox, Falco.) And when someone rolls behind you or my favourite, when samus tries to shoot a missle at you, wave dash and od it, ducking under hte missle and knocking her straight up.
Ah, d-smash, the good ole Peach Killer. Fast, decent range, and pretty decent killing potential. The lag, however...
Don't use this on someone at low percent. They'll just recover and take advantage of the move's outrageous down time.
Charged B - Only use this when you're edge guarding, or jump off the edge and hit your opponent before they even try to get back to the stage, wave dash off a cliff and edgehog to finish it.
Indeed, this move is a good edgeguard. But like most or roy's stuff, it doesnt kill your opponent outright- its just pushes them outward, so an egdehog or another good edgeguard will finish them off. Potentially, a well placed back air or f-air off the edge will do the same thing you describe.
Dair - Marth can do this easily, Roy's is harder. If you use the Dair at the right angle, it will meteor spike them down, if you can master this, you'll have an unexpeced edge over a lot of competition.
As i said earlier...d-air is hard to hit with, hard to set up for, and VERY easily cancelled out. =NOT an edge over lots of competition.

**** Bonus kill move**** Roy's up throw can be high, against easily floating characters, or if you can get them to a high percentage and can't manage to kill them with these moves , Grab them and up throw, They think they're melee stars? Turn their *** into one.
Lol, yeah, if you get your opponent up to about 190-200%, you can up-throw and kill them. But you REALLY don't want an opponent to live that long.

Roy has Four combos that are specific. that can wreck someone. (Be sure to always L-Cancel, Shffl and all that, if not, go find out how to do it, I ain't here to baby you). Nuetral A to Forward Smash, Forward A to Downward Smash, Forward A to grab, and Down tilt to either Forward Smash, Combo #1, or Combo #2. These are the only combos you'll ever need.
This is actually good advice. While some of it can be escaped from, down tilts -> follow up, and aerial -> fsmash/grab are roy's bread and butter.
Forward air to d-smash is pointless though. If they're at a high enough percent to get killed by the d-smash, the f-air will knock them too far away for it to connect. F-air to down tilt would be a smarter choice.

And with that, i finish my knit-picking.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
LOL FROM THE DEPTHS HE LURKS................SETHLON RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol sethlon get out of here play some more marth

<3 sethlon

btw if you figure otu who i am ill give you +marth points

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
:} you're 5150, right?

Smash makes me sad at the moment...even as marth i get beat by sheiks and up throw spamming foxes.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Okay, I'll just have to wins ome tournaments or somethin gwith my technique to actually show someone my **** works. Besides, all of Roy's moves are situational.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
You're going to the san antonio tournament next weekend, right RoK?
Care to money match? 5$ , 2/3, roy ditto?

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Sethlon, the supposed best Roy in the state of Texas, how could I pass up the opportunity to claim my spot as the greatest? I'll do it if I got enough money, I'm broke and might have to eat nothing but water to have enough cash to go to the tournament. but If I got it, You're losing that money Sethy.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
LOL at this thread. LOL at ragnarok. and LOL at anyone who's taking ragnarok seriously.

OK, if you are real, come to SOS or cataclysm, and mm me?

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
sethlong, thats what smashbros has become.

and thats good you lose to shieks as i have picked her up as my "main" ;)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sethlon, the supposed best Roy in the state of Texas, how could I pass up the opportunity to claim my spot as the greatest? I'll do it if I got enough money, I'm broke and might have to eat nothing but water to have enough cash to go to the tournament. but If I got it, You're losing that money Sethy.
:} I look forward to it. Even if you don't have money to MM, i'd still like to play you. Roy dittos are fun.

Mah, everyone is picking up sheik now >.<
Just about everyone that participated in the last monthly i went to is considering picking her up. I'm considering picking up sheik just to chain grab other sheiks :mad:

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
:} I look forward to it. Even if you don't have money to MM, i'd still like to play you. Roy dittos are fun.

Mah, everyone is picking up sheik now >.<
Just about everyone that participated in the last monthly i went to is considering picking her up. I'm considering picking up sheik just to chain grab other sheiks :mad:
go for it man. the game has become top 4 chars or bust. mainly top 2. they are so ****ing broken it makes me sick. in fact, ive gotten so pissed off im trying to SLOWLY pick up fox. hes so ****ing good. you dont even need to be that technical to be good with him.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Yo Gimps, seen your combo vids on Youtube. You gonna be going to the San An toournament? I'd like tp pwn j00. Oh Sethlon, looking forward to the fight Bruh, heh.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
If you're scared to get the **** beat outta you consecutively, just say so. Don't try to smoke screen it with "I'm so great", Bring it, thats why you always had to kidnap princesses, cause you're too ugly. xD Mario beat dat assss.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Mmm...Gimpyfish is a bit far away to be coming down to texas for just a single day tourney, unfortunately.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
:cry: I do smash DI fox's up air...i just fall for grab-baiting stuff alot.
Unless you're talking about smash DIing so that fox only gets the one weak hit off the uair. I've never gotten that to work on purpose before.

CCgrab on sheik, huh? I'll have to try that.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Yeah I'm talking about the latter. I've done it with roy peach falco and DK even (probably others too) at this point. The real trick is to DI one way and smash DI backwards in the opposite direction fox is running-not just out of throws, but in general (even in uair combos). Roy is easier to do it with ironically.

CC grab is the way to go vs sheik. Read->reason why Azen owns sheiks with marth.
Still doesn't mean sheik wont win... but the match becomes a lot closer.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Even if you were the best player in the world, the presentation of this guide is so lame that no one should waste their time reading it all. Poor spelling, poor grammar, and imprecise descriptions plague this guide like no other. Go back and try again. Put more than 10 minutes into typing it next time. Make it look like you actually care.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Even if you were the best player in the world, the presentation of this guide is so lame that no one should waste their time reading it all. Poor spelling, poor grammar, and imprecise descriptions plague this guide like no other. Go back and try again. Put more than 10 minutes into typing it next time. Make it look like you actually care.
haha fact.

<3 buzz

chill out gimpy it aint even that ****en serious to b sayin someone should get banned
Chill out Falco_4_life, " it aint that serious" of a matter for what Gimpy's opinion is when it's logical. A warning would be more in place here for now.
As for you Ragnoroktexas, one more warning and you'll be up to 6 points and be banned. If you cause any trouble on new accounts, you'll most likely get an IP ban. Calm down.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
RoK man chill out. if u wanna rip someone up do it over PM's. i can't have u getting banned from smashboards. u a fellow Dallas smasher

technomancer

Smash Champion
Cleaned up by Technomancer.

Disclaimer: This is RagnaRok's Roy method, and may not be for everyone, but he believes it to be very good, if not the best, method of playing Roy.

Don't Expect Roy to juggle well, like Marth. Don't expect him to be as fast as Fox and Captain Falcon. Don't expect a great recovery. And don't expect that charging move to ever do that one hit kill or your *** will be frustrated. Roy is not about rapid Juggling, Long winded combos, infinate combos, but rather about quick kills. More on this later.

Expect extreme power from this character. Expect to frustrate opponents once you get the technique down. Roy has an excellent Wave-Dash, an excellent out of shield B-Attack, and an excellent Dash Dance and Sword Dance. He's able to finish opponets very quickly.

Many people pick up Roy on the side and try to play him similar to Marth. This is incorrect and silly; it's like playing Dan in the same way you'd play Ken in Street Fighter. Marth is weaker, but faster and a better juggler. Roy is built for low percent kills.

An example: At the start of a match (as Roy), you grab and B-throw, and dashdance into a DED combo ( >-^-v-v ) to build damaage. If they roll to the edge of the stage, this sets up for a WD-Forward smash. Follow this by jumping off with a charge B attack, and quickly return to the stage to set up more edgeguarding with your forward smash, charge B and counter.

This is the basics of the technique. Get them off low and cheap them with Roy's power edgeguarding game. It offers little opportunity for counter-attack because your opponent spends most of his time being tech-chased.

Forward Smash, Down Smash, Charged B - Horizontal Kill Moves

Forward Smash - This is used to destroy opponents at med-high percentages that miss with an attack, fall short on a SHFFL, or happen to roll/tech into the round location. Use with extreme care, but you should be fearful of underusing this move as well. Also a quick KOer. Every move with Roy needs to try and get them to an edge, and the F-smash is top notch for this. "Also, try to get your opponent to stand perfectly still by you doing the same and not moving." (I didn't understand this) Practice your wavesmashes - it's Roy's most important tech.

Down Smash - Used at low damages to throw opponents off balance, to Kill opponents easily at damages over 100% (Except fastfallers like Fox, Falco., CF, etc). Also good to punish rolls. and my favorite, when samus tries to shoot a missle at you, wave dash and do it, ducking under the missle and knocking her straight up. (techno gives no gaurentees on that one lol)

Flare Blade - Only use this when you're edge guarding, or jump off the edge and hit your opponent before they even try to get back to the stage, wave dash off the edge and edgehog to finish it.

Smash Down Tipper - If you can hit at about the tip from what I've witnessed they don't go up, but diagonally down like a Psuedo spike, making it harder for them to recover at a low damage. My favourite way to use this is to run and then dash cancel, and then D-smash, you'll slide a small bit, if you can catch them just right, they'll fly straight off the cliff.

Third Input - This is a meteor spike, and should be used at moderate to high damage as they can recover from it. When doing this, its best if they're at a moderate damage, to B, B, Up. If at a high damage when they are easily knocked back, B, Up, Up. Only works if they really try to recover in front of you, or you can manage to catch them just off the edge of the stage after a SHFFL or similar.

Dair - Marth can do this easily, Roy's is harder. If you use the Dair at the right angle, it will meteor spike them down, if you can master this, you'll have an unexpeced edge over a lot of competition.

**** Bonus kill move**** Roy's up throw scales very well with damage, similar to Marth's. If you can get them to a high percentage and can't manage to kill them with these moves, grab them and up throw. Best against very floaty characters like Jiggly, Peach, and Marth.

I use four specific combos. Make sure your technical is up to par or you'll pretty much suck no matter what. N-air to F-smash, Forward-air to Down-Smash, Forward-air to grab, and Dtilt as a launcher to either F-Smash or the first two combos. (Ragna didn't post how to follow up from here)

If enough response to this is made. Ragna will make your Roy UBER! zomg

Techno's Review:
Not a bad guide, but could use more depth, explanations, grammars, etc. The idea is to get start your KO setup around 30% and just pressure them until you get them off the side and finish, so basically just practice. Most of this stuff is covered in the Roy FAQ. I have something similar sitting on my hard drive that I've never finished, I guess I'll go ahead and post it. The big problem is most of this stuff isn't gaurenteed at all ever against anything, so the strat is by nature inconsistant, but the effectiveness of those low % kills can't be denied.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ROFL, so this is the thread Lord Knight told me about.

RagnaRoKnTexas....hmmm, Join Date: Jan 2007..........gg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom