• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.Bs True combos / Gyrocombos ( Video guides)

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Hello there my fellow R.O.Bs!

Here is 2 tutorial videos i have made that shows you most of R.O.Bs true combos (and also a few Fair/Dtilt/Dair lock and footstool setups) and the general percentages they work on.
I have experimented alot especially with the Gyro lately so i hope at least some of the stuff is new to you! :4rob:

Part 1
(Basic combos)

Part 2 (Slightly more advanced combos)

Would be nice to hear some feedback and if you found it useful :)

(If you think the Music is annoying you can just mute the videos as everything is written in text)

Last edited:

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
This is pretty useful! Can't wait to try these out!

(Also, very unrelated, but I noticed how we both have Falcon and R.O.B. as mains. Cool!)

1FC0

Smash Lord
Thanks for the video I am going to try them out too!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
This was actually really good and immensely thorough so thank you very much for all the effort you've put into this.

I have one small request/suggestion/critique: combos out of neutral air. FF nair obviously leads into a lot, but it's not safe. It's worth using occasionally, but a well spaced autocancelled nair is infinitely better for use in the neutral game as it's a very safe poke. What combos can we get from using nair if we don't fast fall it?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This is an absolutely fantastic video; thanks for the sharing! Hopefully I can upgrade my own ROB with some of these techniques.

One thing that I've seen done in some of @Mister Eric 's videos is a gyro on the ledge comboed into an Up Smash. This is a pretty sweet one I'm also trying to pick up (though for me the gyro always seems to disappear too quickly).

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Thanks for the positive responses everyone, nice to hear that you liked it!

@ Pazx Pazx
That is a very good point about the normal shorthop Nair and something i should have thought more about when i made the video.
Most of the combos i did can probably be done with a normal shorthop Nair as well, though maybe at a slightly narrower percentage range since you usually hit with it in a different way.
Im gonna test this a bit more though! (and i might do a second part of this tutorial :4rob:)

@ DJ3DS DJ3DS
Yeah that is a cool setup! It can be tricky, but if you remember that the Gyro lasts for 5 seconds uncharged, 8 seconds fully charged and about 1,5 seconds when dropped on the ground it gets a bit easier to time it imo.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Thanks for the positive responses everyone, nice to hear that you liked it!

@ Pazx Pazx
That is a very good point about the normal shorthop Nair and something i should have thought more about when i made the video.
Most of the combos i did can probably be done with a normal shorthop Nair as well, though maybe at a slightly narrower percentage range since you usually hit with it in a different way.
Im gonna test this a bit more though! (and i might do a second part of this tutorial :4rob:)

@ DJ3DS DJ3DS
Yeah that is a cool setup! It can be tricky, but if you remember that the Gyro lasts for 5 seconds uncharged, 8 seconds fully charged and about 1,5 seconds when dropped on the ground it gets a bit easier to time it imo.
My issue is dropping it properly. As a 3DS user I'm not really sure how he drops it on the ground to last that long; I can only throw it down at which point it vanishes almost instantly. What am I doing wrong?

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Very cool combo guide I found the z drop combo's to be particularly awesome. Gonna work on that for the future thanks for the great ideas!

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Nice video! I didn't realize just how useful catching z-dropped gyro aerials are for comboing. Can definitely work that into my gameplay!

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
My issue is dropping it properly. As a 3DS user I'm not really sure how he drops it on the ground to last that long; I can only throw it down at which point it vanishes almost instantly. What am I doing wrong?
I don't think there is any method to extend the time the gyro lasts on the ground after dropping it (would love to be proven wrong though!) but I guess you can always practice picking it up from the ground exactly before it disappears and drop it again!

Also it sounds like you are throwing it, but dropping it slightly up in the air to let it fall down to where you want it instead is better in many situations imo since it will give you a bit more time to position yourself before it vanishes when it falls slower.

TreeFire80

Smash Cadet
This all so cool! Thanks for such an informative video, I never would have thought of half of this stuff. I do have a couple questions i f you don't mind answering.

First, what is the advantage to jump-canceling the upsmash after and upthrow? I seem to be fine with dashing into an upsmash, which is easier to input, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Second, I know this is probably crazy and you've already tried. On the footstool combo dair lock combo, instead of doing a re-catch nair to hit them during the neutral getup, is it possible to sh z-drop the gyro on them again into another dair lock, possibly turning it into an infinite?

Once again, THANKS!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This all so cool! Thanks for such an informative video, I never would have thought of half of this stuff. I do have a couple questions i f you don't mind answering.

First, what is the advantage to jump-canceling the upsmash after and upthrow? I seem to be fine with dashing into an upsmash, which is easier to input, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Second, I know this is probably crazy and you've already tried. On the footstool combo dair lock combo, instead of doing a re-catch nair to hit them during the neutral getup, is it possible to sh z-drop the gyro on them again into another dair lock, possibly turning it into an infinite?

Once again, THANKS!
A JC Up Smash goes slightly further horizontally than a running one, I think.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ TreeFire80 TreeFire80 Like DJ3DS said, a jump canceled Upsmash goes a tiny bit further further forward, but the difference is small so dashing into it works fine in most cases.

And yes you are correct that you can do the Footstool Dair lock multiple times! You can't do it infinitely though as the Dair stops locking the opponent at higher percents.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
so upthrow up smash better to go for at low percents than dthrow upair?
It's slightly higher percentage.

For what it's worth I think U-Throw to Up-Air also works at lowish percents as well.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hey every little bit counts at the highest level that extra 3 percent can be the difference between your upthrow killing and not at the end of a close game.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hey every little bit counts at the highest level that extra 3 percent can be the difference between your upthrow killing and not at the end of a close game.
I wasn't trying to disagree with you (sorry if it came across like that!).

I'd probably go U Throw to U Air at low to mid percents for this reason and then D-Throw to U air if I Houghton more whilst playing.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yo!

I have now updated the original post with a Part 2 of the R.O.B combo guide which includes some things i forgot to add and new combos i have come up with after making the first video.

Its a bit shorter than the first one but i hope you enjoy it! :4rob:

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
the insta throw and footstools were too good man

1FC0

Smash Lord
In the second video what do you mean by Dair Lock and Dtilt Lock? Is that when they are forced to get up normally? If so then how do you force it or know if they are in it?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
In the second video what do you mean by Dair Lock and Dtilt Lock? Is that when they are forced to get up normally? If so then how do you force it or know if they are in it?
Yes that's correct! A Dtilt or Dair lock is when you hit your opponent with a Dtilt or Dair (tipped) exactly when they are lying on the ground after getting hit which forces a normal getup.

The setups into Dtilt lock can be escaped if the opponent reacts quickly with a tech when they land, but the Dair lock combos are guranteed since the opponent can't tech after a Footstool.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Beep boop

Sorry to bump, Just putting it on the the front page once, it seems like there are alot of new ROBs around lately who this might be useful for. :4rob:

Rob_TH

Smash Rookie
NNID
Roverthor
Just... thank you so f****ing much man, this will for sure be huge for my gameplay.

I'm a ROB main and I knew some stuff you showed, like the gyro edgeguard (gyro to up-smash at the ledge), but those setups you can do with Z-drop recatch and instathrows are simply sTUPIDLY CRAZY MAN!

Thanks thanks thanks I'm on my way to the lab now :D

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Your video gave me a nice combo idea. With gyro in hands, fullhop above opponent and smash or z throw the gyro while moving past him --> footstool --> tipped Dair for lock ---> charged up smash or a beep boop for a finisher. Works at around 35-50% for a nice ~35 % dmg.

Last edited:

Rob_TH

Smash Rookie
NNID
Roverthor
Been talking with Pepespain (the Pacman main that often appears in the title page showing some nasty Pacman s**t) in the last tournament I went to, and I wanted to know if he was aware of any AT that made characters throw items backwards without changing the side they are looking to (ROB looking there <-- while throwing the gyro that way -->). He told me about the bombsliding that Link is able to perform, that does something kinda like that but only grounded. Has anyone tried something like that? It would definitely make gyro to up smash connect pretty easily in many situations.

And not to mention how neat would it be if it could be done in the air, nair to gyro to upair would definitely connect ԅ(¯﹃¯ԅ)

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Been talking with Pepespain (the Pacman main that often appears in the title page showing some nasty Pacman s**t) in the last tournament I went to, and I wanted to know if he was aware of any AT that made characters throw items backwards without changing the side they are looking to (ROB looking there <-- while throwing the gyro that way -->). He told me about the bombsliding that Link is able to perform, that does something kinda like that but only grounded. Has anyone tried something like that? It would definitely make gyro to up smash connect pretty easily in many situations.

And not to mention how neat would it be if it could be done in the air, nair to gyro to upair would definitely connect ԅ(¯﹃¯ԅ)
I highly doubt that there is such a thing, it would be so cool to exist though. Possibilities for killer combos would be endless. One can only hope :)

Pluffington

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely be implementing the shff zdrop nair into my ROB, Thank you so much for these!!!

Top Bottom