• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #33 - Robin

Jaaahsh

Smash Cadet
Whelp, this has been dormant for a few days, so I figured I'd throw something on here.

I'm in the same region as Skorpio, one of the top players on Anthers (as of writing, #2), who has a ridiculously mean Robin that I struggle against every. single. time. we play.

Wanna see what I mean? Here, stare at this (and tell me why I'm bad): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7jVg1s3G_M

ROB is big and gets smacked in the face with Arcfires with reckless abandon, so Robin has a fairly easy time keeping ROB at bay (as long as the Robin is good at powershielding). ROB's size also means he gets stuck in up-close Arcthunders and can get caught in short-hopped aerials more readily.

On the flip size, beyond Robin's incredibly gimpable/spike-able recovery, his/her slow jump speed also means the Robin player has fewer options at mid-percent when dealing with the beep boop. Our side-B reflector is incidentally useful in this matchup, as many Robin players tend to telegraph their Thoron usage from their behavior. In the video I posted above, I manage to side-B reflect my way through an Arcfire for a small amount of damage.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Well, lol, seems like nobody knows anything about :4robinm: vs :4rob:.
I don't remember fighting a really good Robin yet, so I'll put in what I think (and somebody help me because I'm usually wrong).

Hypothetically...

:4robinm:
- Arc-fire > Arc-fire and other magic combos should work really well on :4rob:
- Robin should totally be able to spike :4rob: easily (and safely) with Elwind
- At mid-range, anything you do that has lag (laser, gyro) can easily punished with Arcthunder/fire
- Even in For Glory, if :4robinm:knows how to throw books, he'll know how to do item stuff

:4rob:
- Can reflect Thoron
- Can Beep-Boop easily
- Can spike easily

Well, I mean, the way I see it, :4robinf: is WAY better at mid-range zoning, so :4rob: will probably be forced to either:
a) Stay at long range and spams lasers, maybe gyros too
b) Stay at close range and combos Robin
But, the problem with "a" is that it'll be hard to really to do that if the :4robinm:spams Arc-fire and uses grab correctly, and the problem with "b" is that it won't be very effective if the Robin knows how to block.

With Jaaahsh's video, and also this one that I found online, it seems like R.O.B. can still put up a good fight; it just all depends on pressure. If :4rob:can pressure Robin and dodge all the attacks, then he'll be able to win. It seems like it's way easier for :4robinm:, though, because all he has to do is Side-B.

I would go with a 60:40 favoring Robin, but every video (AKA two) I see of :4rob:vs:4robinm: seem really close, with Robin doing consistent pressure, then R.O.B. somehow making a comeback and making it even. Somebody please get over here and help, though.

EDIT: Just played a Robin that was OK, and I noticed that Robin has a huge advantage if they hold onto the gyro. Robin can literally play with just the B button, so they'll have the threat of throwing the gyro at you along with the magic at the same time. Meanwhile, you only have the laser as a projectile, and you'll have to get through Arcfire to get real damage in. Luckily for me, the Robin I played didn't abuse it that much.
Also, the gyro cancels out Arcthunder. This might be important.

Last edited:

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
Hey all. So I kinda already posted this in your main match up thread but I just noticed that you have separate threads for each character so I'll just throw this here for you. I may also ask my friend to throw in some comments to get the R.O.B. perspective when I can.
Hey R.O.B. mains. I'd like to give my input on the Robin matchup as I have a friend who secondaries R.O.B. so I have a bit of experience. I'd say the matchup is fairly even, though maybe leaning a little in favor for R.O.B.!

R.O.B. has a lot going for him here. The Robo Beam is a great pressuring option when Robin is retreating to charge his Thunder tome, and the beam goes straight through Arcfire, leading to a great punish when there's any missed Arcfires due to the ridiculous cooldown time (which I believe is well over 60 frames). Gyros are a great edge guarding tool against Robin as I'm sure it is with other characters, however Robin's frame 7 jump leaves those gyros reducing many of his edge get up options. Robin's recovery leaves him vulnerable from above so gyros and Dairs work wonders here. The Arm Rotor reflector has forced me to eat many Elthunders, but don't rely on this move often as most Robin players will pick up on it pretty quick. One thing Robin has going for him in this matchup is his pretty reliable aerial combos that R.O.B. can juggle in to easily, so be careful when Robin is below you on stage!

I read a comment earlier saying that Arcfires can be tricky to get around. I don't have much advice on this as I also have a hard time with Arcfires when fighting Robin. I can say that Arcfire is mainly used as a spacing/pressuring tool and as a trap for Levin Sword aerials. Watch out for the distance between you and Robin.

Hope this was helpful and not something everyone has already heard!
Edit: After asking my friend, he wanted me to add a few more points:
-Gyro stops all of the Thunder tome charges except Thoron (Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder).
-Robin can edge guard R.O.B. with Arcfires to keep him off the stage long enough to run Robo Burner out of fuel.
Also a quick point I wanted to add; if Robin chases off stage when R.O.B. is recovering, he is going for a spike (Levin Sword Dair or Elwind) or a Nair, so be ready to air dodge or attack.

Last edited:

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
EDIT: Just played a Robin that was OK, and I noticed that Robin has a huge advantage if they hold onto the gyro. Robin can literally play with just the B button, so they'll have the threat of throwing the gyro at you along with the magic at the same time. Meanwhile, you only have the laser as a projectile, and you'll have to get through Arcfire to get real damage in. Luckily for me, the Robin I played didn't abuse it that much.
While holding gyro is a good option, I don't think Robin benefits from this as much as you may think. At first glance, it may seem that Robin can play using only his special moves, but he really needs to use his standard attacks when his tomes run out of uses. Also, Robin has tons of combos using a combination of his Arcthunder/Arcfire and his Levin Sword aerials, so gyro wouldn't be much help there. Levin Sword aerials and Smash attacks are really Robin's best options for damage and low percent kill moves. I could maybe see a Robin grabbing gyro when his sword has run out, but not much more than that. I can't speak entirely for other Robins, but I personally play a more aerial based playstyle with constant Fairs and Uairs, so I wouldn't be holding gyro for long.

I kinda talked about a few other things you mentioned in my post above. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I'd love to help out! I find this matchup extremely fun to play.

Top Bottom