• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #26 - Lucario

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
R.O.B has plenty of early kill options against Lucario, so Aura won't come back to screw you over too hard. Beyond that, however, I'm not quite certain how this one goes.

Steam

Smash Hero
I know rob still has trouble covering diagonals and that can make aura sphere charge really problematic for rob. it can lead into all sorts of things for lucario including a true combo into upsmash which kills around 80-90% usually and as early as like 40-50% at high aura. RoB's upthrow sucks for us (though it was nerfed correct?), and dthrow to uair kills really early too. Uair in general is really good in this matchup as lucario can't really AD through it since rob and lucario have very similar fall speed. On the other hand, Lucario can juggle rob for days and really bully his landing with aurasphere, and on the ledge RoB falls prey to the aura sphere charge option select. Rob has good spacing tools but he's also really awkward and large and can't cover diagonals, which are traits that versatile/mobile lucario exploits really easily to get in. Overall I'd say it's +1 Lucario unless there's a fairly large window where Dthrow -> Uair true combos and kills.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Dthrow Uair stops being a true combo at mid percents, rage depending. I played a guy that did some neat tricks where he would charge aura sphere and if I got hit by it being charged, he'd get a free JC usmash. It was pretty good at covering some of my ledge getup options.

Steam

Smash Hero
Dthrow Uair stops being a true combo at mid percents, rage depending. I played a guy that did some neat tricks where he would charge aura sphere and if I got hit by it being charged, he'd get a free JC usmash. It was pretty good at covering some of my ledge getup options.
Aurasphere charge at the ledge option selects all of rob's ledge options as it does for most characters. if Rob does neutral get up, get up attack, or ledge jump, he gets caught in the charge. If he get up rolls lucario can just fire the sphere and hit him. If Rob does anything that involves dropping from the ledge Lucario can immediately shield/roll away and fire an aurasphere to hit rob when he has to regrab the ledge since he won't have invlun. It's really really lame and completely destroys some characters.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
I know rob still has trouble covering diagonals and that can make aura sphere charge really problematic for rob.

On the other hand, Lucario can juggle rob for days and really bully his landing with aurasphere,
Before anything else, I'll admit I have very little experience with this MU. Thus, I'll use only the essentials of what I know about R.O.B as a character.

What about R.O.B's N-Air? One of the reasons it's so successful as a spacing move is because it can attack diagonally with reliable success, and keep the opponent away as it often outranges the aerials of other characters.

R.O.B's Side-B, Arm Rotor, actually reflects projectiles within the first few frames. That, and R.O.B's N-Air make it so that he can hit you from above while you're charging the sphere. (At least preventing it from being charged.) R.O.B, if necessary, can reflect projectiles, and even spin away from the opponent to reduce his chances of being punished; Arm Rotor's direction can be controlled, so he could roll back if the Aura Sphere was shielded. R.O.B's lasers serve as a way to punish Lucario for charging, or at the least prevent it from being 100% full. Thus, while R.O.B would most likely have trouble landing, I concede, his projectiles and counter would make Aura Sphere fairly risky. I think gyro can also cancel aura sphere, at least when it's charged to a certain percent, or Lucario is below a certain percent... Need confirmation.

It's really really lame and completely destroys some characters.
What about R.O.B's own projectiles, as in his laser and gyro? You wouldn't be able to just sit at the ledge, especially as R.O.B can still use his laser and Up-B after, as Up-B allows him to attack. (I'm fairly sure that's the case.) I think that R.O.B does have diagonal coverage, even if it's minimal, and that his landing can't be punished too easily.

(If any of what I posted is inaccurate, please tell me.)

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
On facing a good Lucario and discussing this MU with them, I'd like to offer my opinion on this one. Lucario is easily zoned out, and his projectiles don't do very well against ours. His frame data is sub-par, so we can generally beat him there, and the argument that Steam gave about Aura sphere covering ledgedrops doesn't hold up with ROB's recovery. I generally disagree with Steam's assertion that Aura Sphere screws us over that much because lasers and gyros can easily stop you from charging it and we don't have much trouble with diagonals. I think this MU is 60:40 ROB.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I played this matchup in tournament and had the Lucario use piercing aura sphere. I don't think it was wise of him, but it did allow him to out-camp me in all 3 games. Being forced to approach wasn't fun, Lucario's mixups upon cancelling charge are legitimately scary. Platforms help navigate around his projectiles and also give landing options, so I'd ban FD if the Lucario wants you to come to him. Nair outranges most of his options so you should rely on that a lot in this matchup.

I think a big thing in Lucario's matchups that is often overlooked is "Can Lucario recover on-stage for free against this character?". ROB is slow enough that the only real punishes he can get are laser and gyro, neither of which are particularly effective. Make sure to attempt to intercept Lucario's recovery with nair/dair/gyro, his (default) recovery doesn't have a hitbox until near the end.

No experience against default Lucario but aura sphere means we have to preserve fuel well when recovering.

1FC0

Smash Lord
How can I kill Lucario fast? They keep getting to hgih % against me and then he becomes insanely OP. After a while he kills around 60% and all his moves do an insane amount of damage.

It feels pretty stupid to get killed at 60% by one shot after outplaying the Lucario for almost the whole stock.

So does anyone have any advice on how to kill Lucario faster?

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
How can I kill Lucario fast? They keep getting to hgih % against me and then he becomes insanely OP. After a while he kills around 60% and all his moves do an insane amount of damage.

It feels pretty stupid to get killed at 60% by one shot after outplaying the Lucario for almost the whole stock.

So does anyone have any advice on how to kill Lucario faster?
Up Smash is order of the day; it kills nice and early. If you can get the D-Throw to U-Air; that kills right before he starts getting really scary. If possible, get Lucario off stage and set up a Gyro drop Up Smash. If he doesn't go straight to the ledge you have a Gyro to throw to punish.

If you get the stock lead, hold onto it as long as possible. If you don't... good luck I guess.

Top Bottom