• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Forward B Compilation

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
This is a thread I'm dedicating to ROBs Forward B, which nobody uses, but it isn't entirely useless.
First off: Sorry for the wall of text.
ROBs side B causes ROB's arms to spin around him. ROB will do a short hop when you initiate this attack in the direction you used it.
You can then control the momentum and push ROB back where you were, or more towards the enemy. Depending on how you push your direction, will change how ROBs arms spins, AKA leaning forward tilts your arm in front of you down, backwards makes your forward hands go up.
Tapping B makes ROBs spin last longer, alike Metakinght. ROBs Forward B gives no upward momentum when falling. ROBs spin will either juggle a player, which occurs at lower percents, or knock them away. I don't know how the direction they get knocked works, but a nice trick can be used with it.
This is probably so far common knowledge to everyone who has fooled around with ROB.
Now for a few uses I have found for this nearly useless attack:

First off: Chasing: You, when next to an opponent near an edge of a stage, can use ROBs forward B in their direction to do the short hop when you initiate the attack, you will then proceed to juggle the player inside of ROBs spinning arms, while you fall off the stage, racking up a small bit of damage up to 8-13%. The player juggled will have very little ability to do anything, but if they attempt to jump or Up-b out of it, its possible it will simply start their jump out of it, and be hit by another swinging arm, losing all momentum of the jump, thus wasting their jump. This effectively kills alot of stupid players. A surprising number of people actually waste their jump. When approaching the bottom of the stage, the KO line, the player should stop tapping B to stop spinning.

From this point its a race back to the stage or a "Who spikes better" fight. The players who have a charged Up b like Diddy Kong or Lucas or Ness you can pretty much just hit away further from the stage by a nair or fair or dair or if you know they will get back to the stage, upb and uair them to rack up easy damage. Some players you can race back to the stage easily by your up b and then restock on jumps and keep them off the stage. Other players you just simply don't want to use this ability against.
This ability is mainly useful when your fighting someone with their back to the edge of the stage.
If they roll out of the way or dodge, you can just Up b back to the stage, and sweetspot the ledge to be completely unhit.
If they start to chase you, just use your up b and second jump to go under the stage and grab the other ledge. This can be combined with the gyro to nail players under the stage.

NOTE: Light and Jumpy players this doesn't usually work on, because they get out of your spin early and beat you back to the stage. It works best on midrange players, while larger players get hit more easily and better by the spin. (People who match ROBs weight class)

Term I use:Understage- Pushing a player under the curved side of final destination, meaning they need to move away from the stage, and then up to survive. You understage a player by leaning away from the stage, that way your back arms tilt toward the stage influencing the player in the direction under the stage. You push a player away from the stage by leaning toward the stage. If you keep level you get a player lower usually, but they start to influence themselves to a direction, so you tilt toward that direction, focusing them back to the center of the ROB-icane

I tested out this forward b chasing ability against almost every character (I forgot Yoshi) on Final Destination with the soul objective of getting back onto the stage. Here are the results.
Pit: Great, he uses his Up B if you get him down far enough, then you just hit him and he's dead. Stupid Pits will use it during your spinning, and just lose their up b.
Samus- To heavy and To floaty to effectively work, I couldn't get her below the stage line.
Zamus- You can get her down pretty far, and then easily spike her away from the stage, giving no chance for survival.
Link- His Up B gives no horizontal, if you push him away from the stage and he wasted his jump, you get an easy kill as early as 25%
Zelda- Very hard to get under, has great recovery, the blast can spike you. You can at best push her under the stage, in which she has to aim to snag the ledge, which you can beat her to.
Shiek- Easy to get down far around 30-50%. Push her away and she is simple to spike.
Ganondork- Hard to deal with, Easy to ledge spike, more on that later.
Toon Link- Very little horizontal from his Up b if he wastes his jump. Push away from the stage, or race back to stage and spike him.
Wario- Push him under the stage, will have trouble getting back up unless hes smart to bike away from the stage, and jump then up b back onto ledge.
Bowser- Bad, Up B will take priority over your spin, letting him get out and damage you.
Peach- Only bet is to understage her, otherwise she floats back easy.
Luigi- Bad, very ineffective. His recovery is enough to get onto the stage most of the time.
Mario- Weird, sometimes his Up b takes priority, others it does not. You can beat him to the stage to edgegaurd.
ROB- Pfft, like you'd fight a fellow rob who has an amazing recovery.
Pikachu- A good angled Up B can deal with anything you can spin at the rat. Don't bother, unless you can spike from down there.
Ivysaur- Easy to deal with, the Up b is pathetic, so just push down and away.
Charizard- nice and heavy, easy to spike after getting low.
Squirtle- Easy to get down and low, can race to the stage by beating squirtle's up b lag.
Lucario- Mediocre, might be useful in early percents, horrible higher up.
Snake- Bad, very bad. Up b recovery is to good.
Falco- Easy to spike with his Up B charging. Easy to get under the stage. Easy in general
Fox- For some reason, every time I spun against him low down, and he charged his up b, he went in a weird direction, it may have been a stupid computer, but I don't think he went down and away from both me and the stage on purpose... Spin might change that direction.
Kirby- BAD IDEA, doesn't work with kirby's jumps, he gets out very early, beating you back to the stage and can edgegaurd you. Same with Metaknight and DDD
Ice Climbers- Amazing trick, you split the two up most of the time, giving you an easy papa or mama spike.
Ness- Hit him when he does his up b, or simply get in the way of the ball. He'll die.
GAW- Getting under the stage works, but otherwise it isn't worth it.
Marth- Understage him, he won't be able to get back up unless he can get back away from the stage and up b before he gets out of range.
Ike- Dangerous, works mid percentages, but he WILL up b and kamikaze you.
Wolf- Good, you can spike his up b easily.
Olimar- Easy to kill, VERY easy with no pikmin.
Capt Falcon- Nice Damage on this guy, dangerous with his up b.
Jiggs- To small, easily gets out of the spin, beats you back. Can Rest you to death. Bad Idea
Lucas- Amazingly easy to spike or interrupt. Free kills as low as 25-40%
Diddy Kong- Great with the charged rockets, just hit him away.
Donkey Kong- He gets no vertical so just get him under and he's gone.
(And I'm sorry I didn't order these at all)

Base Jumping- Coming soon, see the posts below.

Reflecting- ROBs spin can reflect projectiles, it leaves you open to attack, but its nice when Samus pops a huge blue bomb at you and you bounce it clear back. Doesn't stop final smashes just FYI...

Damage- It gets moderate damage when someone doesn't expect it. If you are fighting a person, and you just side b into them, you can get a good 15% damage on them for free while they try and fight their way out. Remember how the leaning works.

Edge Spiking
- This is sort of weird, I still have yet to pull this off intentionally. This mainly happens when I try to chase a player, but don't make it over the edge. I angel ROBs fists of fury down towards the recovering player. The player gets hit by ROBs fists before they ledgegrab and get pushed slightly downward. On several ocassions, such as Ganondorf I pushed the player either under the stage or just KOd them completely.

Breakdancing- In the event that you have a break dancing contest in Brawl against other people, this is a nice trick to pull off.

Well thats the overall knowledge I have gained out of this unused ability.
Thoughts? Comments? Torches?

Pledge

Smash Cadet
So...you like guys or what?

Edit: Very nice, you put a ton of time and effort into this. You forgot MK btw on the character specific part, aside from that good work.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
You sly devil you...
MK and DDD are both under Kirby as being annoying puffballs who get out of a normally deadly technique easily.
Also this is a very easy way to KO alot of characters with some practice, the main challenge now I'm finding is incorporating it into my strategies. I'm trying not to let it just be a "Oh, I'm at the edge, I can kill them easy."
And upon further trials DK floats through the whirlspin faster and gets back onto the stage, the 3 trials I did didn't give a good result.

As soon as I find my camera with my SD card I'll make a video or two on the unused technique of side b.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Crimson...you obviously have no idea how expensive mass quantities of rope is...
tl;dr- You can push people off the map using ROBs side b, works better on some characters then others. Its a cool breakdancing move, its moderate damage, and it can knock objects back.
Also ROBs side b reflected energy projectiles, such as a charged samus ball, will dissappear alot quicker then it usually would. Meaning it only successfully reflects short range to damage the attacker.

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Something I found out while messing with stuff today: The >B actually has two distinct hit zones. ROB's arms create one zone, causing the normal tornado-like bunch of hits. If you mash on the B button for more hits, the last hit will have increased knockback on it. Also, ROB's BODY is a hit zone. If the body hits them at any time, they'll get spat out a fair distance without getting trapped in the arms. Those times when you connect with the spin only to see them knocked away after 1-2 hits are caused by the enemy touching ROB's body while they're in the spin.

Neat stuff, yes?

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
The more I mess with this ability the weirder it gets. The longer you spin, the larger the knockback. Taking people over the edge with it works, it just gives certain players more boost, especially on the lighter characters, who fly farther then others.
It usually keeps the opponents in for a certain amount of time, and then boots them out. I don't think its any part in specific to ROB.

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Not from what I've seen. If you start the spin reeeeeally close to the opponent, they'll get spit out of it on the first hit.

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER!

Okay, I know about the problems with double posting, but I don't know if edits bump, and this NEEDS A BUMP.

You know how I said that >B has two hitboxes? Well, I was right. What's more, is that the rob torso hotbox has some interesting effects on it. Try this: jump on top of an enemy, and >B. Don't tilt the arms at all, just let ROB's base touch them.

After experimenting, the base attack deals 4 damage and doesn't decay. It also causes slide stun on hit up to 50%, just like Dedede's downthrow. At 50+ damage, it causes GROUND BOUNCE. ROB can't do anything about it, but in a doubles match, this means that if ROB shorthop >Bs someone at 50+%, Falco can LASERLOCK them. I'm going to try this out when I can con my buddies into helping me practise. Also, at less then 50%, you get the ever-awesome slide-stun, which, as anyone who plays Dedede knows is awesome. Again, ROB can't do anything about it, but a successful hit into your team mate means that the enemy is open for any attack that they choose to use, including throws.

I LOVE ROB!

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
hmm the sideB chasing tactic is interesting. can you post up videos? (some with real opponents too to justify that they cant all just easily DI out of it?)

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I've got a good amount of friends who are at different colleges, the next time they come around I'll get some testing done (Pledge is one)
Also I found out the digital camera I had has an XD memory card, not an SD like I thought it did, so I have to get around to buying one at some point. I'm going to test out the "Base Jumping" as I'm calling it... Being a pun artist and all...
Also other updates:
Zelda's Din's Fire does not damage rob when he is spinning. The spin from robs attack causes the fire particles of damage to change ownership, but they instantly decay such as Samus's reflected charged B do. I believe that the particles would damage other players if they were in the spin zone of rob, meaning if your spinning someone, and Din tries to nail you and them, you'll just damage them, and the zelda will get no damage.
Reports say you can reflect Yoshi Eggs and DDD stars (Up B) I'm meaning to check the Waddle Dees, Doos and Gordos.
Robs spin also works on Pikachu's thunder. No your not a steel type pokemon, it isn't super effective. And jumping into a lightning bolt spinning your arms fast won't work in real life...
Snake's Rocketlauncher gets deflected, much like if the gyro hits it. Snakes Nades just bounce up and still explode, they don't get send back to the thrower
ROBs head can still be hit sometimes during the attack by certain projectiles, more on this later.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Are people still posting in this thread? ROB's ->B? Is it 1987?
You're still posting in this thread.

btw, I've been using his forward-special just fine. It's still a near-worthless attack, but it has its uses from time to time.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
JW: Exactly WHAT projectiles does the >B reflect? I know its a silly question, but... just was wondering.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
wow i never thought about the >B like that...i guess ill start finding openings in my matches now.

THX alot and nice work

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Btw Pledge, Nick Cody would be the absolutely WORST brawl character ever.
All of his moves would either be "Stand Their" or "Look Awesome" and he would instantly get banned from every tournament ever because he combos to easily.

Top Bottom