• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Combos/Competitive Strategies

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B. has some good combos that I use frequently such as:
- Dthrow -> Uair. Like many have already said on this board (chains at lower percentages but can still work at higher percentages if you bait an airdodge out of them)
- Gyro -> Laser. A pretty basic combo that works.
- 2x Dtilt -> Gyro -> Laser. A variation of the combo above. One of my favorite combos for R.O.B. and works almost every time. This is pretty much my go to combo for R.O.B. and is imo easy to pull off.
- Dash attack -> Fair. Another good one that I tend to use a lot and connects very well.
- Dash attack -> Uair. A good combo that I don't see many people talk about. Its actually very good but I think it only works at low percentages and can be kinda hard to pull off but it works.

That's all the combos I can think of at the moment. As for using him competitively I tend to use him both offensively and defensively. I play defensive to lure and pressure the opponent with R.O.B's projectiles. R.O.B's projectiles are part of what makes R.O.B. so good and can make R.O.B. a tricky fighter to deal with. I am mostly referring to his gyro (Though laser is good as well in its on way such as punishing rolls) since the gyro can be picked up and can be used for mind games and a lot of pressure.

Seriously the gyro alone makes R.O.B. good imo. It's that good and if you master how to use his gyro he is a force to be reckoned with. When the opponent messes up coming towards me or uses a move that has a lot of ending lag that's when I become offensive and go for the punish. R.O.B.'s Nair and Dtilt are extremely good and two moves that I tend to use a lot. It's actually hard to counter these two moves due to how crazy fast they are and how they have next to no lag.

Anyway I'm done for now...I apologize if there is a bunch of spelling mistakes and what not since I'm really tired at the moment. Also sorry for the wall of text but I hope this helps out some R.O.B. players out there!
R - O - B R.O.B! :4rob:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Instead of using bair to go for stage spikes, why not substitute a turn around gyro in there instead?:
It's much faster and serves a similar purpose.

Last edited:

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
Instead of using bair to go for stage spikes, why noy substitute a turn around gyro in there instead?:
It's much faster and serves the same purpose.
That's actually really impressive and something that definitely makes more sense than using R.O.B.'s Bair (which has a lot of start-up lag).

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Z drop gyro > footstool > dair
Z drop gyro > dair works too.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Something i use almost every game is SHFF Nair > Fair (15% dmg) which combos up to about 50-60% on most of the cast and you can often followup with a second Fair after the first.

There's also 2 variations to this that i use with gyro in hand:

Zdrop SHFF Nair > Zdrop Fair > Gyrothrow (23% dmg)
Zdrop SHFF Nair > JC Gyrothrow (Aerial Gyrothrow at higher dmg) > Fair (23% dmg)

Some other low percent combos:

SHFF Nair > Grab > Dthrow > Uair (28% dmg) (combos at about 0-20% dmg)
SHFF Nair > Utilt (17% dmg) (combos at about 5-30%)
Uthrow > JC Upsmash (25% dmg) (combos only at 0-13% damage on midweights, but looks cool :p)
Close JC Gyrothrow > Fair also combos but aren't sure about which percent it stops working.

(For those that don't know SH = Shorthop, FF = Fastfall, JC = Jump canceled)

Now note that i haven't tested enough with different DI, but i hope someone finds it useful!

Last edited:

Inactivepawn

Smash Rookie
d-tilt (d-tilt) grab pummel x1 down throw u-air
Gyro throw bait to grab it toss at feet wait for an advance throw it at your feet and laser keep away
also fair to bair I noticed is possible but risky

Top Bottom