• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Broken?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
After looking at some videos of it in action, I've come to the conclusion that R.O.B. might be a broken character.

No. I haven't played the game. I might be overreacting. But everything I've seen of R.O.B makes him seem too good.

His attacks have wide range, large knockback and are pretty fast. He moves pretty fast as well. And he has shockingly good recovery.

No I'm not hating on R.O.B.. I welcome all newcomers to Brawl (even if I would have prefered to have seen those incomplete characters playable...). I'm just saying that R.O.B. has too many strengths and not enough weaknessess.

Please post your thoughts. Sorry if their is a similar thread.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
After looking at some videos of it in action, I've come to the conclusion that R.O.B. might be a broken character.

No. I haven't played the game. I might be overreacting. But everything I've seen of R.O.B makes him seem too good.

His attacks have wide range, large knockback and are pretty fast. He moves pretty fast as well. And he has shockingly good recovery.

No I'm not hating on R.O.B.. I welcome all newcomers to Brawl (even if I would have prefered to have seen those incomplete characters playable...). I'm just saying that R.O.B. has too many strengths and not enough weaknessess.

ROB is so good.and he's not fox, it gives variety to the game. his only weakness is his running speed...

(ROB for GOD TIER... XP)

He does seem really good...I don't really know though, let's just be happy he's getting some more recognition. They should remake R.O.B for the Wii, in my opinion.
wait...you mean the hardware ROB?

ROB is regaining popularity again...if they made a ROB for the Wii that is faster, I would TOTALLY buy it!

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
ROB is not broken. He matches up poorly against certain characters. I think its the case with most characters. As far as I can tell there is no dominant force in the game. It seems more balanced than melee, but perhaps it is too early to say for sure.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc

I was thinking the exact same thing. He probably will be top tier or at least high tier. After all with Shiek, Fox & Marth nerfed we need someone to take their place.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Rob looks pretty good, but he probably haas some disadvantages like the other characters, PITT is looking pretty good too. But we won't know until it a majority of the people have it eh.

Sharky

Smash Master
R.O.B. has disadvantages against smaller characters, which would set him back in any sort of tier. I never liked tiers anyway, so blah to that. =/

hitori

Smash Journeyman
i really want to know what videos you have been watching that didn't display any of R.O.B.'s weaknesses.

I'm a ROB mainer, so I'm not trying to bring him down, but he has quite a few downsides.

SPEED: Speed is is biggest downfall. Compared to fast characters, ROB is a slug. Metaknight tears him up, as will a good sonic or diddy. ZeroSuit can outspeed him in a dozen moves, and his B-Air/N-Air/D-Air have disgustingly slow startup. To beat fast characters the only thing you can do is mindgame them into attacking you a half second after you started your attack in hopes that they get there after the attack starts. >_<

Strength: The attacks that rob has with strength, unfortunately, do not kill (usually) until high high percentages (160+) on heavy characters or light characters that DI well. He has a few moves that kill very well, but as with every character, the more you use a move, the less knockback/dmg it does. This means you have to connect weaker moves to regen the smash potential of your best moves, which are only more difficult to land when you can't combo into them (combo's are much harder to pull off when the character you're comboing has hiiiigh dmg).
ROB has no U_Air kill either (except at the very top of the screen), which makes all of his attacks DI-able straight up. characters above ROB have little to fear, especially w/ multiple air dodges allowed.
ROB is EASILY combo'd. Airdodges help, but I guarantee that once the game is more available, ROB will be seen as one of the most combo-able characters in the game. He's floaty as hell, and his hitbox is HUGE.

Characters that spam projectiles (Pit/Falco) will destroy ROB, even w/ his SideB. Pit in particular due to his ability to aim arrows at fairly extreme angles. The SideB has some not-so-fun recovery time, and little to no knockback.

Despite how good the videos look now, I PROMISE you that ROB is not a broken character. his weakness are far too abundant.

OfficeManiac070

Smash Cadet
he looked strong, and had amazing recover from what i saw, but he looked a bit slow. i dont know though, could have been the player.

hitori

Smash Journeyman
his side-B spins his arms like a top and reflects projectiles, but only where the tip of his arms are. >_< you can control them to move up and down but the control is sort of laggy.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I saw some videos between T!mmy and T0mmy (think I misspelled thier names). You can find them in T!mmy's thread on R.O.B., but I will see if I can post them.

MrPancakes

Smash Rookie
I don't know about the part of him being fast @_@ I heard he's slow, and I haven't played the game, but he isn't that fast. Recovery is awesome and that laser is too. :p

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
I remember someone said jokingly:
"If you threw R.O.B. against a wall, it'd be broken."

DADDY

Smash Cadet
rob is jsut a gay char and most people dont know how to get around his stupid ****. his bair is ****ing gross though. the key is beat his camp with better camp if he tries it. otherwise his approach isn't that ****.

Billiards Koopa

Smash Rookie
rob is jsut a gay char and most people dont know how to get around his stupid ****. his bair is ****ing gross though. the key is beat his camp with better camp if he tries it. otherwise his approach isn't that ****.

1. Learn to spell.

2. Learn to capitalize.

3. If you don't like it, it is not automatically gay. (Just the opposite, I suspect.)

4. R.O.B. ***** what now?

Xervah

Smash Cadet
ROB is not broken. He matches up poorly against certain characters. I think its the case with most characters. As far as I can tell there is no dominant force in the game. It seems more balanced than melee, but perhaps it is too early to say for sure.
Agreed, he does seem to have trouble with some characters. I also hope that this game remains fairly balanced, but your right it is way too early to know for sure.

coldkilla30

Smash Cadet
Definitely way too early to tell if anyone is broken at this point. Every character looks good to me right now (except for sonic who looks like the hardest to get used too.)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Faster-hitting characters like Pit and Meta Knight really mess R.O.B. up.
His movement speed is also a weakness.
But, hey, shouldn't be able to be strong, heavy, and fast with good moves, can we? R.O.B. has good moves, is heavy, and isn't really all that slow, so he's a good character.
Although, if you're a competitive player, you may want to switch to a counterpick against faster characters.

Top Bottom