• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Ness thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Can you blame us? A bunch of people who don't play Ness just started showing up and telling us our character is dead. It's a little aggravating.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't think Ness is "dead" at all...his spirit will live on in Lucas. Lucas is basically a reincarnation of Ness.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Ness is "dead" at all...his spirit will live on in Lucas. Lucas is basically a reincarnation of Ness.
Only without all the standard moves we know and love.

Unless... Ness returns.... maybe... :urg:

Levitas

the moon
lol, Ness had an up/down smash in 64. let's not forget that. And besides, Ness flat out isn't dead. And nobody besides lucas is gonna live on in lucas. I just find it likely that Ness will live on as... himself (gasp).

and it's FUN to capitalize random WORDS to get a POINT across. But actually, it just makes people think you're being bothered. I'd be surprised if Ness was the first character eliminated from the super smash bros series. It just wouldn't feel right.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
"There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar" doesn't conclusively imply anything (and this has been stated many times in this thread)

but i'd like to point out that lucas's dsmash looks like a shine

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Lucas will never be Ness without YYG. Never.

Is it just me, or does Lucas's Jibaku go further than Ness's?

EDIT: And it kinda looks like Lucas's PSI Magnet is only/mostly in front of him.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Lucas PSI Magnet does appear to only work directionally.

And yes, it looks like YYG won't be in Brawl.

Oh noes!!1!

dan smith

Smash Champion
Simna, believe it or not, but I had the same though. Lucas is one casual mother ******. Stiped shirt...shorts...sneakers. It's so casual though, that you'd have to explain the fact that you were in costume. I actually dress like Ness on a daily basis, so it's going to be a hard transition for me...taking off the hat.

http://i15.tinypic.com/6tlk6qf.jpg

...and yeah, the day Brawl drops...I'll start crackin' on that rope snake glitch. (RSG)

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Theres alwase a chance of a new moveset. if i remember corectly he had a move called PK Rock or somthin like that in his game. not in melee or 64. so maybe he'll have it in brawl.

I never did get used to his umbrella shorts. o_O

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Psi ROCKIN'

dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnn br br br brooooommmmm

That was the third level btw.

Onomatopoeia!

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone noticed how weird sakurais grammar is?
"A cute little poot", "The tension rises. Yes." "but surely there will be quite a battle for that spot" "By which I mean, he does not" "Give a try next time you’re shielding."
He talks funny, he (or his translator) could have just meant that ness has been in the first two Smashes.

Levitas

the moon
I heard that DJC or float-cancel remained for peach but not yoshi. I haven't checked his thread for the specifics on the mechanics, but the fact that peach retained something akin to djc gives me hope.

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
Has anyone noticed how weird sakurais grammar is?
"A cute little poot", "The tension rises. Yes." "but surely there will be quite a battle for that spot" "By which I mean, he does not" "Give a try next time you’re shielding."
He talks funny, he (or his translator) could have just meant that ness has been in the first two Smashes.
that's just japanese talk.

Ever played Popolo-crois?
Or Magical Starsign?

Katamari?! That's the way that people talk in those games. It's just very japanese.

ZodaPrime

Smash Rookie
I... Don't know exactly what to think or say...
You will be missed Ness...
You were a god in SSB64...
Melee toned you down...
You fought Hippies...
You ate trashcan burgers...
YOU WILL BE MISSED!
<3 Ness...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Hai guyz. Stendrd Camboz wen't bee en beral caz eet seyz "eeup unteeel now." Oh wait...

Now you can just combo with Ness by holding the a button.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Lol I get credit for braving the brawl forums and finding that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pfb2l-iYlRo

you can see it more clearly around 4:20 of that vid, when they go over the Claus sticker. This was the vid originally on a nintendo website. Nintendo found this mistake (as it also reveals jiggs and Lucario) and edited out of the video. Thankfully, somebody ripped the original and put it on youtube.

This was found on gamefaqs btw (yes, they do productive things there).

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Congrats to everyone who said Ness is still in: You were right!

Congrats to everyone who said Ness is out: You properly protected yourself from disappointment!

locking this topic may not be the right thing to do here...there may be more to discuss

but i feel like locking a topic

Levitas

the moon
Wow, massive win for whoever found this!

PS, As I'm sure you guys remember, I never thought Ness was out. Before this there was NO evidence either way.

And everyone wants Ness to be better. Period.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Yes!

Ness' moves will be made more like his EB/Mother self. I had a medium-length post explaining my reasoning behind that assumption. Here it is.

---

Okay. Concerning Ness and Lucas.

SSB needed a new Earthbound/Mother character. Ness already encompasses several EB/M characters (he looks like Ness, but he doesn't play like Ness); therefore, to add another EB/M character would mean that he or she would probably be fairly similar to the SSB Ness. Sound familiar? Well, no. I'm not going for what you think.

Ness' SSB moves are mostly Paula's, no? Why not, while you're at it, fix Ness for SSBB to make him his own character. But, this would present a problem to SSB Ness players, accustomed to the old SSB Ness; this is where the new character comes in: a new and fresh character with a familiar moveset. The SSBB developers added the most eligible EB/M character. Poo, Paula, Ness' mom??? No. Lucas, I choose you! because you're cool. And, because your appearance is similar to Ness', it would not be too awkward to give you his moves. But, if you look at Lucas' moveset, you may notice how the Ness identifiers aren't there. The yo-yo and PK Flash are distinctive Ness moves, no? But they are not there. These moves are yet reserved for Ness.

So, what is the end result? Ness gets a total transformation: his moves are more faithful to his EB2 self. Lucas, the second EB/M member in SSB, keeps a similar feel to the pre-Brawl Ness.

(Yo-yo Glitch, anyone?)

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
please, dont make a topic discussing more of brawl...altho i personally wouldnt mind it myself i am already letting the rules stretch here what with the gimpyfish and mofo topics

if you wanna discuss it then do it in the brawl forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom