• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS R.I.P. - My Circle Pad

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Mine is making a weird clicking noise now. I'm extremely gentle and cautious when playing, but I'm scared it's gonna snap off. >_<

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I wonder if this is the next Mario Party 1 case.
Friggin Tug O War all over again.
As for the circle pad, I was wondering if it was normal for it to be a little off-center. Mine's always been off-center, ever since I bought it.
Darn, now I'm getting paranoid about this too. I think it feels a liiiittle looser than it was yesterday...

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Warning Received
That first picture is so ****, why would you even put it up? You could have put up a picture of a pig and it would have been the same.

Corngamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corngamer
3DS FC
0645-5918-0354
Friggin Tug O War all over again.
As for the circle pad, I was wondering if it was normal for it to be a little off-center. Mine's always been off-center, ever since I bought it.
Darn, now I'm getting paranoid about this too. I think it feels a liiiittle looser than it was yesterday...
My brother never uses his 3DS, so maybe I can compare the circle pads.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I wonder if this is the next Mario Party 1 case.
Wow, I was thinking about that exact topic before. I can totally see a lawsuit with Smash Bros damaging 3DS'.

Synzer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Synzer
3DS FC
0817-4230-0108
I keep hearing of this problem. I really hope it doesn't happen to me.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Ok now my worries about my Circle pad feeling loose on my 2DS have exponentially grown.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
And what source tells you that it's coming to USA? Yeah, it's very likely, but you can't say that unless it's been confirmed. :p
It's just to ridiculous to not happen, That's like if at E3 people would speculate if it would have an online mode. I mean come on.

Corngamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corngamer
3DS FC
0645-5918-0354
Wow, I was thinking about that exact topic before. I can totally see a lawsuit with Smash Bros damaging 3DS'.
Some people may argue that it's our faults, but a gaming system that breaks from playing a game Is false advertising. Maybe they'll just give out free circle pads or something.

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I didn't realize my Circle Pad was super tight until I started playing Smash with it.

Now it feels a bit loose and I'm scared... :crying:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Just be careful it doesn't feel loose.
It feels pretty loose now, which it didn't a couple days ago. I was one of the biggest cynics when it came to the circle pad and Smash, but I don't know how much longer mine will stay in one piece.

TurboPikachu

Wall of Pain
NNID
HyperChu
3DS FC
3394-3547-7986
Bought a 2DS specifically for Smash 3DS, as my Pikachu Yellow edition 3DS XL already has a crack in the housing thanks to a horribly resistive hinge snap-barrel, and I don't want to see either the housing break and the top screen hanging from the bottom, or the circle pad coming off, so I retired the thing.

Now I have a Sea Green 2DS in a PDP controller grip, and since the smash demo, the whole 'twist' issue I've heard has become a symptom on my unit. It doesn't show any sign of breaking yet, and it's not 'loose' yet as far as returning to default position (that's still tight enough), but the twisting is definitely noticeable now.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Dont worry, my is in progress. R.I.P. 3DS Circle Pad It was a good smashing time.

Last edited:

Corngamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corngamer
3DS FC
0645-5918-0354
Looked at my brother's 3DS, and I honestly couldn't tell a large difference. Any difference at all was probably just my mind tricking me. I guess we'll see if it breaks. And If it does, I guess I'll go get exercise or something.

Sera Smash

Smash Rookie
I can STILL feel a really small sore spot in the middle of my palm, even to this day. But you know what? It was freaking worth it! Mario Party is the shizz.
OMG that was thing?!?!?! I thought I was the only one who was injured from that tug-o-war thing!!! How could I have missed that this was a widespread issue at some time LOL

This makes me feel better ^_^

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Well, Looks like i just experienced something very similar.

Today i took off my grip to add some songs to the SD Card, And the bottom plate just snapped off.

R.I.P My 3DS XL's Pants.

I'm transferring my data to my 2DS so i'll just have to start using that.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
I'm a rough Smash player and have had to use glue about 3 times now.
It still works fine, so I wouldn't worry if anything else happens.
Although, if the nob breaks off, send it to Nintendo asap.
I knocked off the nob in KI:U and I didn't send it in for a few days, and I had to buy a whole new circle pad thing that costed a good $20.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I honestly can't wrap my mind around the fact that some people actually manage to mistreat their devices like this. I've had my 3DS since launch and played games like Sm4sh, DoA:D, and KI:U a lot without a single problem. How do you NOT realize you're abusing the control pad before it actually breaks off?

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
I honestly can't wrap my mind around the fact that some people actually manage to mistreat their devices like this. I've had my 3DS since launch and played games like Sm4sh, DoA:D, and KI:U a lot without a single problem. How do you NOT realize you're abusing the control pad before it actually breaks off?
Because it could not be as it seems. If you play like that then you will not notice if it's a little loose.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I treat mine like a baby, and I own Smash, KI:U and many other 3DS, DS, and Virtual Console games. My pad is now loose and squeaky after only a few hours with Smash. I'm going out of my way to be gentle, but it's only getting worse. Scoff all you want, but this is a design flaw.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't understand how something like this can happen. What kind of brute force do you use while playing? And why?

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
I treat mine like a baby, and I own Smash, KI:U and many other 3DS, DS, and Virtual Console games. My pad is now loose and squeaky after only a few hours with Smash. I'm going out of my way to be gentle, but it's only getting worse. Scoff all you want, but this is a design flaw.
Yeah, I know right? I mean, how are we supposed to play Smash without having to flick the Circle Pad left and right all the time? Hopefully the New 3DS will be better built for games like this...

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
He wasn't even playing it like a troll, and the circle pad still went off. Like Smallgenie said, this is clearly a design flaw. I don't have the game yet but I'm afraid if I keep playing the demo it will just come off :(

On another note, can you guys move around your circle pad round a tiny bit when it's in it's idle state (by idle state I mean when you're not playing with it and it's in the middle)?

Last edited:

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
I think the actual way they wanted you to control the game was to tap the circle pad left or right, not with your finger directly on it. Well, maybe, anyway, cuz I'm pretty sure that's what it says when you first boot up the game and that tutorial video pops up.
Notice how it says tap to dash? Idk, this might be very unlikely, but it probably means you have to flick it around. This is just what I think anyway. :p (and yes, that'd be the worst control ever.)

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Interestingly, it looks like the 2DS with the trigger grip is the best option for Smash 3DS.

My black 3DS has a crystal Zelda OoT case so it feels slightly bigger than it originally would. However I can feel the circle pad hinging during play, sadly.

For everyone saying to be gentle, it's friggin Smash Bros. It's very intense and chaotic so remaining calm at all times is probably impossible.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've already clocked in over 70 hours into Smash Bros. 3DS on my XL and I haven't felt any difference with my circle pad, and I've REALLY been putting alot of stress with it thanks to Kid Icarus: Uprising and other circle pad intensive games. I just don't get how people are breaking they're circle pads. Perhaps the original 3DS circle pad isn't as put together as the XL's but I'm not too sure about that either. It's not like you really need to hammer down on that circle pad and put all your force into it just to move around and use Smash and special tracks. Although I suppose many people are treating the 3DS like a Gamecube controller which may be why we are seeing so many broken circle pads. I feel sorry for those who have they're circle pad's falling off but at the same time I gotta wonder why they fell off in the first place. Was it due to faulty controls or perhaps too much pressure from the player? It's difficult to say, especially when many are too quick to blame the system and not themselves.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I've already clocked in over 70 hours into Smash Bros. 3DS on my XL and I haven't felt any difference with my circle pad prior to playing the game or even the demo and I've REALLY been putting alot of stress with it thanks to Kid Icarus: Uprising and other circle pad intensive games. I just don't get how people are breaking they're circle pads. Perhaps the original 3DS circle pad isn't as put together as the XL's but I'm not too sure about that either. It's not like you really need to hammer down on that circle pad and put all your force into it just to move around and use Smash and special tracks. Although I suppose many people are treating the 3DS like a Gamecube controller which may be why we are seeing so many broken circle pads. I feel sorry for those who have they're circle pad's falling off but at the same time I gotta wonder why they fell off in the first place. Was it do to faulty controls or perhaps too much pressure from the player? It's difficult to say, especially when many are too quick to blame the system and not themselves.
You must play DhD :troll:

Top Bottom