• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Quick Project] Video to Appeal for Roy Buffs

So right now, I'm making a video that goes over some of Roy's flaws that shouldn't be there, in order to try and get attention to them. It's basically an all-or-nothing attempt to get him buffed, since this idea was suggested to me multiple times, and a short project for now that's just something fun to do on the side and won't take much effort or time to make.

By no means am I trying to make others believe the character is mediocre or low/bottom-tier. It's something I will clarify in the video. I plan to state my honest opinion on the character, and what buffs could do for him, whether they're quality of life or help his gameplan in competitive play, and what kinds of buffs would help him most without making him too good against certain characters or players. I want a video that both increases Roy's chances for receiving buffs, while at the same time being a motivator for Roy mains to continue maining the character no matter what, giving them a positive feeling about a positive future even without buffs. I don't want to make a video only for it to discourage Roy mains, I'd like to continue working with the tools I have no matter what and help others do the same without losing sight in their dream buffs and dream designs of Roy. I feel I'm at a point where I can avoid falling into that state while making a video like this, and I'm excited to get it done just to play more Roy :grin:

If you're interested in the project, there will be more info in the spoiler. If you have no interest and don't want to get into any negativity I may talk about, I encourage you to avoid the spoiler and the rest of this post.

Still here? Let's get to it, shall we?
I'm looking for screenshot and video contributions you guys have on-hand or can grab quickly. I would prefer things sooner than later, since I'd like to get this project done in the next few days and be done with it. I can finish a video with my resources now to push for some key buffs that matter the most, but other things I'll ask for will add to potential quality-of-life changes and strengthen the video in general.

So far, I'm covering autocancel aerials; notably on Falcon, Fox, Marth, Lucina, Ike, Corrin, Robin, Cloud, and Limit Cloud, and I plan to go over why it's absurd that Roy lacks any compared to other FE characters, Cloud, and fastfallers.

What I need:
-Frame data of the cast's safety with aerials on shield, accounting for autocancels on the listed characters and Roy's lack of autocancels.
-Footage of Roy's up smash, side-b, and up-b failing to link properly.
-Screenshots of Roy's t-rex grab range coming into effect.
-Screenshots like the ones Unknown Merc posted in the Roy Social where Roy's fair went through Sheik without hitting her. Any move is fine, we need to highlight every deadzone on Roy's moves we can.
-Opinions on what Roy needs fixed, why Roy doesn't get enough out of his gameplan, what can be done to make his matchups more bearable, buffs that would help his disadvantaged state and him being combo food, buffs that would help his mobility or blade in neutral, why 1-2% buffs would be beneficial and matter most, what buffs would matter and complete Roy's gameplan in a way that makes him as much of a threat as someone such as Ike or Corrin.

Any footage or screenshots in general that highlight Roy's flaws will help me, if you're fine with me downloading them through something like clip converter and using the footage. Here's an example:

This script is a WIP so far of what I have written. It's a result of some downtime at work and some time at the library before going back home, I plan to expand further tonight and get farther into the project:

Script:
Before I get into this video, I want to make it clear that I do not believe Roy is a bottom or even low-tier character, and I aim to avoid making others think so at all costs. While I feel his matchup spread limits him from being a high-tier character, it is very similar to the spreads of mid-tier characters, and it is simply too good to limit him to bottom-tier. That being said, he is still in dire need of improvements. Roy is easily outclassed by fellow Fire Emblem lords Corrin and Ike, who are also easier to utilize and perform well with in competitive play.

With the mountain of buffs Marth and Lucina received, Roy was admittedly left in the dust. He still has many hitbox and range issues, many of which can be fixed with similar treatment; more active frames on aerials, sword trails synced to deadzone less, larger hitboxes to help mitigate the pitifiul range of the Sword of Seals, and a slightly larger sweetspot on at least a good handful of moves would help fix core issues with moves such as forward air, down air, and up tilt. As it stands, Marth, Lucina, and Robin being better competitively is debatable, but it's hard to debate from Roy's side due to having the smallest playerbase and least amount of tournament results of these characters. On top of that, Roy currently receives far more flak competitively than any of these characters. It's difficult and tricky to work with Roy's tools and neutral game, and he just isn't rewarded enough for his gameplan. While I feel Roy is underdeveloped and has more to offer with his current tools, he's still limited. He's outclassed in multiple ways by other Fire Emblem characters, and by other DLC swordfighters.

(grab footage of down air sourspotting at points that are questionable)
(grab some Corrin matches, preferably the ditto)

As it stands, Marth is likely better than Roy due to better frame data, better spacing tools, a better neutral game, better recovery, and eating punishes and combos less than Roy. Even before Marth's mountain of buffs recently, people were already starting to believe that Marth had better matchups and potential, namely due to Roy's lack of tournament results.

Sakurai did not want Marth to simply outclass Roy again, which he strongly emphasized in the Nintendo Direct officially revealing Roy. Because of this, I don't feel that Roy deserves to be left in the dust. I feel that he needs certain strengths tuned to at least match Marth's current general kit, and have genuine strengths and tradeoffs over Marth to any given competitive player labbing both Marth and Roy after any hypothetical buffs.

Ike is similar to Roy, being a power-based character who has a strong punish game and ability to gain massive mileage off reads. They're both combo food, and they both have linear recoveries that can sometimes be easy to edgeguard. However, with Ike's more reliable and consistent punishes from throws, spacing tools, autocancels from his most rewarding aerials, ability to live longer and more reliably store rage, stronger and more consistent tilts, more versatile jab, better and more well-rounded matchups, and better frame data, he outclasses Roy to an unfair degree.

Roy does win in mobility over Ike, but Ike's use of good empty hops, autocancel windows from forward air and back air, safer options in general, and massive pivot grab range ultimately outclass a good amount of Roy's tools outright and make up for any deficits in the neutral game.

Corrin, fellow Fire Emblem lord and DLC swordsman, has many amazing tools that make them a threat in competitive play. Their powerful and barely-committal stun projectile that can amass incredible damage or early KO's with different levels of charge is unbelievably good. Even from a small punish or read at mid percents, a fully-charged bite after a weak shot can KO. Corrin's side-b has numerous mixups, a lot of raw damage from a pin, an insanely-powerful tip, a terrifying amount of range, potential to aid recovery and stall in midair similar to Marth's side-b or Fox's shine, and it acts as a sixth aerial with KO power. Corrin's up-b has pesky hitboxes that make edgeguarding difficult at times, especially when trying to run offstage to throw an aerial towards the ledge, and a hefty amount of intangibility frames on startup. It can KO off the top of a stage easily from a good punish (notably from an airdodge), and the drift Corrin has afterwards ultimately makes it an insane recovery. We all know the power of Corrin's counter and its mileage from a good read or punish. Outside of specials, Corrin in general has very strong tools. Their tilts are quick, great for spacing, they have great combos and follow-ups, and they're often pretty safe. Corrin's autocancel on forward air makes it a great swatting tool that is safe if spaced well, and it can lead into insane reward. After the autocancel, Corrin can use a jab mixup, grab, tilt, roll away, instant pin, jump, or retreat otherwise. Outside of safety in neutral, the autocancel also opens up more windows for what Corrin can combo or follow-up their forward air with. If Corrin had the same landing lag as Roy from their forward air, the move wouldn't have as many combos or follow-ups, and it'd lose a decent amount of safety.

Corrin's jab can gentleman, rapid jab, and cancel for mixups. In general, Corrin has many mixups in neutral, great reward from their safer moves, ability to rack up damage, ability to KO early off a good read, and well-rounded matchups with plenty of strong ones. Proper tip spacing is what nets general KO's, but up air, a good pin at high percents, an up-b read or punish, a counter read, back air, down smash, and Corrin's vertical throws ultimately need no specific tip spacing to be great KO options, even though some have strong sweetspots that net them earlier KO's.

Corrin may only have one autocancel aerial, but their other aerials have some insane properties to make up for it. Neutral air having so many active frames while circling Corrin is insane alone, the move is also a reliable combo breaker. On top of that, it can also be a strong combo tool. Back air KO's, it is large and very safe, and it pushes Corrin, aiding the move's safety and Corrin's ability to recover. Up air both combos and KO's, and down air can beat aggression, escape moves such as Robin's Arcfire, land, trade stocks, and reliably footstool combo on both the ground and in the air. Now, where does this put Roy?

If anyone has any screenshots or footage, or ideas for screenshots or footage that would be fitting for any parts of this script, please let me know.

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
As far as opinions go on as to what Roy needs you know what I'd suggest so far based on the feedback I've received from other Roy players.

- Faster Run Speed & a Quicker Dash into Neutral
- Double Edged Dance tweaked to more consistent at higher percents

Also the video with Up tilt failing to kill so close reminded me of this last one.
- Rework Roy's Tilts so that his Middle hit boxes have knock back power similar to his sweetspots.

These changes I've suggested don't change Roy's play style or his counter play in a large manner. They simply focus on refining his game plan and give him a bit more lee way in his spacing when ending stocks. Which when considering how short his range is to begin with leaves him being a consistent threat when he's closed the gap, as he should be and lets him be both a better swordsmen with spacing options and Rush down character with applying pressure.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Something you could do is compare Marth's entire movest to Roy's to highlight how Marth's attacks have better damage, range, and startup. formatting the the video to be similar to alpharad would also be a good idea to make this video appeal to the largest audience.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
I was actually making a list of small things I wan't changed already, so this is cool. My biggest gripes with Roy are actually in comparison to Marth. Roy's forward air is frame 10, while Marth's is stronger and KO's earlier, but is frame 6. Double-Edge Dance is practically identical to Dancing Blade in function, but it does on average 1% less, doesn't link as well at high percents, has no use in the air, and wont ever kill because of his reverse sweetspots. Also after all the buff's Marth got his range is significantly larger and his less committal options, like forward air and up-throw, kill earlier.

I actually don't like the idea of looking at Roy and Marth as clones, since they play very differently in practice, but it still seems odd that Marth is (right now) objectively a better character than his "clone".

Reiks

Smash Rookie
Something I like from ZeRo's videos is how he puts timestamps and the title of what he is going to talk about in his video. Doing this makes it easier to get every detail of one topic in a smaller amount of time,also it prevents rambling(e.i 1:34 Roy's Flaw's,2:31 Character comparison's). If you have the time you should do it.

When talking about Ike show footage of ryo making use of his aerials,throws,SH game like https://youtu.be/aUGveE35Tgs?t=2m30s (2:30-2:40 safe bair and empty hop usage)
Present Roy's Back throw in the video when talking about "Ike's more reliable and consistent punishes from throws" since this throw has 0 use.
Some opinions:
Looking at that video.Roy's bair should had been similar captain falcon. A backhanded slash that's in an acute angle(like Ikes or robin),it AC at frame 19-22ish ,damage 12->13%(KBG 100->98) making it positive on shield(He should have at least one SH AC aerial).

This should had been the last hit of his side b(but straighter). It allows roy to land his sweet spot better.

Melee dtilt should be brought back.All fast faller are combo food but also have moves that lead into strings/combos.Also dtilt doesn't have that much of a use anymore then just poke.

Neutral b vs all of the FE characters nB.Roy has the worse one out of all.Unsafe on shield.Low range.SHIELD BREAKER kills way better than it uncharged.

Last edited:

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Back at home I was bored one day so I wrote a 7 page long essay explaining as in depth as I possibly could all the differences between Roy and Marth, everything from their uses to their frame data to the different effects of every single move they had both sweet and sour spotted. I wish I still had it, I would have sent it to you, I think its genuinely a pretty informative resource. Sadly I moved and the essay is on my desktop at home, so all I can really say is good luck to you and thank you very much for doing this.

Its a shame that you had to put a big disclaimer in your original post to assure people you're not saying Roy is bad and needs buffs and all that. People in these character forums are way too optimistic about their characters. I'll come out and say it for you, Roy is bad and if his metagame is to continue instead of dying out like in Melee he needs to be buffed, he's trash. He isn't Jigglypuff or Samus tier (though a decent amount of people say he is), but he is still a very lacking character and playing him at this point is pretty much purposely and intentionally gimping yourself out of character loyalty. Which is what I do, I will never stop playing Roy, and that's exactly why I want him to be buffed.

Reiks

Smash Rookie
Agreed. While it is true that Roy is an undeveloped character, as of now he isn't going any higher than low tier. And honestly if it wasn't for amazing experienced players like Mr.E labing and pushing Marth, he would be in the boat as Roy for being undeveloped as well. At this moment calling Roy a mid tier to me is a big statement(surely not bottom tier but really close to it).I would understand if Roy was like Yoshi where on paper he seems like a good character and is in of reps to prove it but he isn't. If there is another balance patch and Roy isn't buffed(and characters like Marth is)then Roy is sadly dead.

Here is part 2 of the script, it directly continues from the last one. It's not revised like part 1, but I will do that eventually. Right now I'm going to focus on getting the bulk of the writing done and taking feedback. I'll post this in the thread, then I'll use my post afterwards for proper replies.

Roy simply doesn't have any special properties on his aerials. He doesn't fly away from his opponent after back air, he can't continually swat someone's shield with spacing aerials like all other Fire Emblem characters, and his up air and down air are straight-up outclassed by similar characters. Roy is painfully honest, especially with aerials. I feel that one of Roy's biggest problems is that he has no autocancel aerials from a short hop, while other Fire Emblem characters, fastfallers, and DLC swordfighters have plenty. This would also be one of his easiest core design flaws to fix, only needing unecessary frames and fat trimmed from several aerials.

But how good are the autocancel windows on other characters, exactly?

Marth and Lucina can safely space forward and back air safely due to their generous autocancel and IASA windows, allowing them to either jump away quickly after a swing, or drift away and land with zero lag. Being able to autocancel up air from a short hop aids with juggling and frame traps. These seem like small details, but they do an incredible amount for these characters.

Ike's forward air and back air serve as strong spacing tools, but their autocancel windows add so much to them as spacing options and how Ike can land after a short hop. They give Ike a more fluid and satisfying feeling.

Robin has autocancel windows on all aerials except down air. This opens up so many ways for this character to be safe on shield, and many unique frame trap and juggle opportunities. At the same time, Robin isn't overpowered against shields.

Cloud's autocancel aerials give him a ridiculous amount of safety on shield, allowing him to safely swing his massive sword at an opponent. Cloud's back air is great for pure spacing, his neutral air swings in a massive arc to cover many options, and his up air allows for insane juggling pressure. From a full hop, Cloud can carry his down air's hitbox to the ground. It functions as a spacing tool against shield, and if it connects, it has a lot of combo potential into aerials and Cloud's limit breaks. In limit, he becomes a fastfaller with incredible ground and aerial mobility, and the only autocancel he loses is back air, which is still a really strong spacing option. His neutral air and up air only become better with limit.

While justification for Roy's aerials lacking autocancel windows might involve him being a fastfaller, we also have to keep in mind Limit Cloud's autocancel windows as a fastfaller swordsman, and the autocancel windows of other fastfallers: Fox and Captain Falcon.

Captain Falcon has a whopping three autocancel windows as a fastfaller: neutral air, back air, and up air. Back air is an excellent spacing tool that also kills, while nair and uair are great combo starters. Falcon's autocancel windows allow him to wall horizontally with nair and bair, and uair becomes a better combo, juggle, and frame trap tool. It makes up air to knee for the stock a thing. Falcon can also cause good pressure by jabbing immediately after up air. Overall, these autocancels on important aerials open up a lot of creativity, and give Falcon a fluid feel in neutral rather than making him feel stiff to play.

Fox's up air and back air autocancel from a short hop; back air has a generous window, while up air's is tight but manageable. He can use bair to wall an opponent safely and look for the kill, while up air's autocancel helps it pressure and juggle better. Because of his autocancel windows combined with other pokes such as pivot ftilt, Fox doesn't lose to shield in neutral, and overall has a much better neutral.

Now, do you see where I'm coming from when I feel frustrated that Roy lacks any autocancels while other Fire Emblem characters, DLC swordfighters, and fastfallers have a hefty amount of them? Even Little Mac, a character known to be designed to have lackluster air game, has four autocancel aerials.

Why are autocancel aerials such a big deal for Roy? Well, to start, one of his biggest issues is lag on moves, and how a lot of his moves have frame disadvantage. Roy has no aerials that are even close to safe on shield. Rising nair is the closest thing he has. It puts Roy in a bad position, being straight above his opponent, sometimes with no jumps left. Rising back air is another similar option. Since Roy is rising, these have practically no reward if they hit, and no follow-ups. Roy is directly giving up stage control for this as well, is it really worth it for general scenarios?

Roy loses to shield, and he can have trouble approaching at times. With a few autocancel aerials, these issues likely wouldn't hurt Roy nearly as much. Out of his aerials, I propose forward air, back air, and neutral air as the best autocancel candidates; they make the most sense, they'd help Roy most, and they'd only take shaving unnecessary, fatty frames from aerials to finish.

Let's start with forward air. It has landing lag LONG after the move ends, which makes no sense. As a rushdown character who is supposed to control the ground, why can't Roy swat an opponent close to the ground safely like Corrin or Ike? Roy shouldn't have landing lag long after the move has ended, but on top of that, I also feel he should have plenty of room to fastfall or use the move close to the ground and still get the autocancel. The move is incredibly short, especially compared to other forward airs. Another reason on how this move having landing lag from a short hop and why it makes no sense is its IASA frames. Roy can jump or use a special in midair after the forward air, but he always lands with lag otherwise. These options are too risky or committal, as approaching with a special is extremely unsafe, and you don't want to be above your opponent without a double jump just because you want to avoid some landing lag. If the IASA frames are taken into account, then this is the shortest aerial of all of the characters I've mentioned so far; which is weird when Roy is the only Fire Emblem character without an autocancel forward air. Even Corrin's forward air and Falcon's back air only last 6 more frames in total than Roy's forward air, at 36 total frames. A generous autocancel window on fair where timings could be mixed up would make fair a less awkward combo tool. It'd remove the linear and stiff feeling from fair. We'd also have a great tool against shield, most notably an aerial, and it'd encourage more diverse approach options and make it harder to shut down Roy with defensive options. Less startup, unnecessary frames outside of active frames being trimmed down, and landing lag only occurring after potent IASA plus a few frames for the sake of autocancel freedom would be a few simple tweaks that do all of this without making the aerial too powerful.

I feel that Roy's neutral air should work in a similar line with Falcon's. Since Falcon's autocancels shortly after the second swing, it becomes better for spacing and combos. Roy's nair is similar in the sense that Roy lands shortly after the second swing when he doesn't fastfall. In fact, Roy has more time between the second swing and landing than Falcon does with his second kick and landing. Since Roy receives landing lag no matter what after nair, fastfalling it is almost always a superior option. Similar to Falcon, if Roy's nair autocanceled when he simply doesn't fastfall at all, it would balance out these different landings with the move, also similar to how Diddy Kong uses a short hop with his forward air. The player would have to consider the tradeoffs of fastfalling with nair, and it'd remove a lot of stiffness and linearity of the move. Alongside forward air, nair autocanceling wouldn't just make forward air the bread-and-butter spacing option on shield, since Roy would have multiple ways to space on shield with aerials, alongside his grounded poking tools. His tilts alone make his spacing on shield easy to read and react to, but putting them in a pool of diverse options with a few aerials, in my opinion, is the way to ultimately solve the issue. It would make Roy's play more fluid and satisfying, and it'd help tackle some of his biggest core issues against defensive options and having to approach. It only seems fair, since Roy has to reach you to harass you with his sweetspots, and he can really only play the neutral game when he's in the range to pressure you with his short blade's hilt.

Finally, back air. This aerial is the closest in frame data to potentially autocanceling, only being above forward air by one frame, and it'd be the easiest to tune to do so. This aerial rarely sees use, and it's clumsy and awkward to execute due to its landing lag. If short hop back air could autocancel, then it'd be a similar back air to Fox, Falcon, Cloud, Marth, Lucina, and Ike, to where it's a more reliable high-knockback spacing tool that adds more to the character. As it stands, the move is one of Roy's least useful, and it rarely sees use. The move has potential to lead into creative follow-ups through its sweetspot and sourspot, and potential to wall that is held back by its lack of an autocancel window from short hop. Because back air turns Roy around, I feel that adding more use to the move could see more applications of this small detail and add depth to the character. This move is pretty similar to forward air, so I feel that giving more autocancel frames to forward air than this move would make for a great balance between the two, where forward air is used more to combo and approach while back air is used to wall people away and knock them offstage.

I don't feel that up air and down air are deserving of autocancel windows. Marth and Lucina's up airs barely have any frames to autocancel with, and Roy having an autocancel on that move wouldn't be fair to those characters by any means. A fair tradeoff, and one thing that would help keep Roy unique compared to Marth, would be to give each three autocancel windows, with Roy having a strict one on nair and Marth having the strict one he already has on up air. This would allow each to consider the tradeoffs of landing differently with these respective aerials, while having essential forward air and back air spacing. It's kind of like version exclusives in Pokemon, where both versions share a lot of Pokemon, but each has a core set of unique Pokemon and a core legendary that draws different players. Ruby Roy and Sapphire Marth, anyone? To add to it further, Marth has more generous autocancel windows on his back air than his forward

Roy already has plenty of combo potential from up air, being able to use it to rack up massive damage and even lead to a KO or edgeguard from linking it into back air, albeit you have to be near the ledge and catch bad DI or unfavorable weights to do so. Otherwise, you have to trap a landing or punish air options with the angle the opponent is sent flying. It has a lot of hitstun, and it sends foes at a favorable angle to combo at many percents. I feel the risk-reward of the move is already appropriate, and it'd be even more appropriate with proper improvements to forward air, back air, and neutral air. It'd fit more as a risk-reward puzzle piece to Roy if it stayed the same while those aerials were given more safety and general use.

Finally, down air. This is a committal read-based option, where the reward is based on the player's spacing and creativity. While it's one of Roy's least useful moves in general, I don't feel that any of its issues are related to landing lag. Alongside up air, this is a move I personally wouldn't adjust the landing lag of.

In short, changing forward air, back air, and neutral air to have unique autocancel windows that help balance Roy relative to similar characters would help fix some of Roy's core issues without making him or any of his moves too powerful. Rather, his kit would be more complete, and each interaction and piece of his kit would become more meaningful. His fighting style makes him a rushdown glass-cannon swordsman who aims to control the ground, and these changes would only compliment it. It would give him more room to push aggression onto his opponents, while also giving him more room to weave around in a guerrilla style until he finds an opening. As of now, the current state of Roy's aerials is actually counter-productive to what his fighting style should be.

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
That's an excellent script, again, I really have nothing to contribute. Sorry if this makes my post seem completely pointless, I just wanted to show you some more support.

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
That's an excellent script, again, I really have nothing to contribute. Sorry if this makes my post seem completely pointless, I just wanted to show you some more support.

Edit: Help me mods I have no idea how to delete this post

Last edited:
News on the project: Family is randomly visiting from halfway across the country, so my planned windows to record are out the window for another week or two. Because of this, I will work on providing more content and more revisions on this project until a final one is ready.

As far as opinions go on as to what Roy needs you know what I'd suggest so far based on the feedback I've received from other Roy players.

- Faster Run Speed & a Quicker Dash into Neutral
- Double Edged Dance tweaked to more consistent at higher percents

Also the video with Up tilt failing to kill so close reminded me of this last one.
- Rework Roy's Tilts so that his Middle hit boxes have knock back power similar to his sweetspots.

These changes I've suggested don't change Roy's play style or his counter play in a large manner. They simply focus on refining his game plan and give him a bit more lee way in his spacing when ending stocks. Which when considering how short his range is to begin with leaves him being a consistent threat when he's closed the gap, as he should be and lets him be both a better swordsmen with spacing options and Rush down character with applying pressure.
I really like these ideas.

I'm not sure how I'd implement asking for better run speed or a quicker dash into neutral, since I'm no frame data expert and don't know how to go about asking for these changes and how to justify them. If I had a good idea of what to go for in these areas, then I'd love to write about it and cover it. I'll keep thinking about it and certain things Shaya said a while back to hopefully get a better idea. I'll also lab with his dash and compare it to others, then look on kurogane to see if I can come up with anything.

One thing on my mind, though, is why Marth/Lucina have much more walk speed than Roy when Roy is meant to control the ground. It makes no sense, and it's likely something I'll highlight.

I'm also unsure how to go about his tilts. I'll have to lab them later and look into their hitboxes. I know that some moves of his have 2 different hitboxes, while others have 3. I may be able to write about them, but I might come to a blank as well on how to approach it. If that happens, I'll keep it in the back of my mind and continue thinking about how to approach it.

I can, however, talk in-depth about my issues with DED. I just need footage of the move failing to connect to use since I don't have any on-hand. I do know that it's a common issue Roy mains often experience, so I figure at least one person here may have that footage.

Something you could do is compare Marth's entire movest to Roy's to highlight how Marth's attacks have better damage, range, and startup. formatting the the video to be similar to alpharad would also be a good idea to make this video appeal to the largest audience.
I do like the idea of direct comparisons, the biggest thing on my mind is autocancel windows and startup on aerials.

Things I'm thinking about:
  • Marth having better startup and active frames for no reason on many moves, on top of those moves being better spacing tools and being able to KO earlier.
  • Marth having better walk speed when Roy is meant to control the ground. Marth's superior air mobility and control of the air would balance out a massive walk increase.
  • Side-b angles and knockback, how Roy's should be adjusted to be more in-line with Marth's even though I don't really know the specifics. I'll just put a good screenshot of both on screen, then go over how well Marth's links and how poorly Roy's links with clips afterwards.
  • Roy has outright better frame data on weight and throws, so I'll have to go into justifying Roy potentially winning or matching in more important moves.
With Alpharad's style, it's not really something that would fit with my style of editing and covering content. I've seen a lot of bad, cringey Alpharad clones as well, so I'd hate to end up as one.

I was actually making a list of small things I wan't changed already, so this is cool. My biggest gripes with Roy are actually in comparison to Marth. Roy's forward air is frame 10, while Marth's is stronger and KO's earlier, but is frame 6. Double-Edge Dance is practically identical to Dancing Blade in function, but it does on average 1% less, doesn't link as well at high percents, has no use in the air, and wont ever kill because of his reverse sweetspots. Also after all the buff's Marth got his range is significantly larger and his less committal options, like forward air and up-throw, kill earlier.

I actually don't like the idea of looking at Roy and Marth as clones, since they play very differently in practice, but it still seems odd that Marth is (right now) objectively a better character than his "clone".
These are pretty good points and things I'd like to cover. I went into it a bit above, but this will help me approach these things a lot as someone who is generally bad with understanding frame data and the nuances of Smash. It's also odd to me that Marth's forward air has all of these strengths AND autocancels, while Roy's doesn't; same with back air.

Something I like from ZeRo's videos is how he puts timestamps and the title of what he is going to talk about in his video. Doing this makes it easier to get every detail of one topic in a smaller amount of time,also it prevents rambling(e.i 1:34 Roy's Flaw's,2:31 Character comparison's). If you have the time you should do it.

When talking about Ike show footage of ryo making use of his aerials,throws,SH game like https://youtu.be/aUGveE35Tgs?t=2m30s (2:30-2:40 safe bair and empty hop usage)
Present Roy's Back throw in the video when talking about "Ike's more reliable and consistent punishes from throws" since this throw has 0 use.
Some opinions:
Looking at that video.Roy's bair should had been similar captain falcon. A backhanded slash that's in an acute angle(like Ikes or robin),it AC at frame 19-22ish ,damage 12->13%(KBG 100->98) making it positive on shield(He should have at least one SH AC aerial).

This should had been the last hit of his side b(but straighter). It allows roy to land his sweet spot better.

Melee dtilt should be brought back.All fast faller are combo food but also have moves that lead into strings/combos.Also dtilt doesn't have that much of a use anymore then just poke.

Neutral b vs all of the FE characters nB.Roy has the worse one out of all.Unsafe on shield.Low range.SHIELD BREAKER kills way better than it uncharged.
I like the idea of timestamps, I'll see if it's something I can do in the editing process. I use pretty basic video software, so if I can't, I'll mention in the video how I'll create timestamps in the description. It will give me leeway to edit them if I ever need to.

I'll also cover other bairs and how Roy should have one that acts more like them; a high-knockback spacing tool that can autocancel.

Thank you for the Ryo footage, it will help me a lot in proving my points with aerials, as well as how autocancels can help Roy and why it's unfair that characters with massive spacing such as Ike and Cloud, and fastfallers such as Limit Cloud, Fox, and Falcon have 2-3 autocancel windows while Roy has 0.

I want to cover how down throw could be adjusted to make it a consistent combo tool and potent KO confirm like Robin's, and why Roy having something like that would be huge in fixing him and how he falls off at higher percents, which can kill the character's momentum. I could add in something about how back throw is useless, and different solutions to fixing back throw.

I'm considering going into dtilt and how it should be a combo tool. I'm most likely going to leave it be, since it's a more minor thing in comparison to more important core changes, and as it stands, it can set up tech chases and sometimes followups (see: https://youtu.be/QUt4GBALkow?t=149 for a few seconds) which I still feel is important to Roy's design.

Neutral-b, there are changes I'd like, but I have a similar stance on it to dtilt.

Back at home I was bored one day so I wrote a 7 page long essay explaining as in depth as I possibly could all the differences between Roy and Marth, everything from their uses to their frame data to the different effects of every single move they had both sweet and sour spotted. I wish I still had it, I would have sent it to you, I think its genuinely a pretty informative resource. Sadly I moved and the essay is on my desktop at home, so all I can really say is good luck to you and thank you very much for doing this.

Its a shame that you had to put a big disclaimer in your original post to assure people you're not saying Roy is bad and needs buffs and all that. People in these character forums are way too optimistic about their characters. I'll come out and say it for you, Roy is bad and if his metagame is to continue instead of dying out like in Melee he needs to be buffed, he's trash. He isn't Jigglypuff or Samus tier (though a decent amount of people say he is), but he is still a very lacking character and playing him at this point is pretty much purposely and intentionally gimping yourself out of character loyalty. Which is what I do, I will never stop playing Roy, and that's exactly why I want him to be buffed.
I've had the stance in the past that Roy is awful or possibly bottom 5. I've had a lot of blind optimism on the character as well, and thought of him as a potent high-tier. Neither of those views were healthy for me specifically. His matchup spread is too good for him to be bottom tier or possibly low, but it's also too bad to put him in the realm of Ike, Corrin, Cloud, Fox, and Captain Falcon. He is outclassed directly by a decent amount of characters, and he has major core flaws that others don't, but his matchup spread is too good for me to rank him on the garbage end of things. He feels like a mid-tier character to me after looking at his matchups for a really long time and taking input on them.
However....

I will strongly agree that it is intentional gimping for character loyalty; if you're going to play a fastfaller, why play Roy? If you're going to play a swordfighter, why Roy? If you're going to play a Fire Emblem character, why not Ike or Corrin? After that question, you have to consider his tradeoffs between Marth, Lucina, and Robin. If you're going to choose between buying Corrin, Cloud, or Roy, and you want to practice to play competitively, why buy Roy other than having 4-5 bucks left over? I want to strongly criticize the character and his flaws to increase the chances of buffs, and I do want to make it clear that he's easily outclassed by other characters. He's in a weird spot, where I don't think he's terrible, but I don't think he's great or noteworthy in competitive play. I've never known how to approach that.

Roy here is like Ike in Brawl, from my experience in that game from 2009 to 2013. Decent matchups, and in a better spot than Melee Roy, but why play Brawl Ike over someone like Marth, Snake, or Meta Knight? With a more saturated roster close to 60, why play Smash 4 Roy over Ike, Cloud, or Corrin, and maybe some other stepping stones or characters around Roy? It's hard to approach such an issue.

The main reason I don't want to discourage anyone too much, is because buffs are never guaranteed, and it might put the Roy community and the character's development in a worse spot if we never get those buffs. If more people think the character is garbage and continue peeking their heads in only for tourney results than there already are, then less will happen for us. I don't want to make a video that hurts the community if it doesn't succeed, I'd like to minimize any worst-case scenarios possible. Plus, I don't exactly believe Roy is bad, just disadvantaged and sorta in the middle. I don't want to go against my views or exaggerate anything for the sake of buffs. I can't give into the mentality that he's doomed or dead, personally, and even if everyone else gives up on the character, I won't. There's far too much that's been going on in April with Eden, Jcav, Serrew, Sethlon, and Ryo for me to have a more negative view on the character, and a lot coming in May.

I don't mind if anyone believes he is garbage or terrible, but I don't want to be the direct cause that sort of view for anyone else. Most of all, I'm just in an awkward position, and still ironing things out.

Don't worry about it. I enjoy the discussion going on, and it helps me know more on how to approach the video a lot. It helps me understand more standpoints from fellow players of the same characters, and others in the Smash community. It helps me look at my work and try to avoid misinformation or including anything that may rub others the wrong way. Support means a lot through these hours of crunching out raw information.

Last edited:

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hSVnSiLaoGQgxbIr6l-DuqoUAyCSNb0J6qXTnhjJjD0/edit

Here's a Smash 4 Frame Speed list that gives an average frame speed of all characters.

Also here's a couple of things I'd suggest in general...

- I like the timestamps idea like Zero does when stating his option, you'll probably have a lot to say so being organized while giving the information will be for the better.

- When asking for changes of any type, make sure aren't polarizing, make sense both visually, and game play wise while keeping character concepts in mind help strengthen your requests.
for example, I wouldn't suggest you ask about dtilt becoming a combo tool again, instead ask for Jab to be tweaked with to better suit that purpose. As from a design standpoint it seems like that what they wanted jab to be the new Dtilt in the first place.

- With asking for a better Run Speed and Dash to Neutral those ones are fairly simple to ask for, the terms I've used are the ones that are most widely used for those character traits and as a far as justifying the request, It's basically as simple as "When comparing both our range and speed to other rush down character such as Falcon and Fox we have less in both fields, which is why we request that we receive a buff to our Run Speed and our Dash to Neutral Timing so that that player can properly position themselves with the Sword of Seals which fits to both of Roy's themes as a Rush Down and Sword wielding character.

Btw if you want help with on how to request changes or giving reasoning for changes I'm down to help.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I will strongly agree that it is intentional gimping for character loyalty; if you're going to play a fastfaller, why play Roy? If you're going to play a swordfighter, why Roy? If you're going to play a Fire Emblem character, why not Ike or Corrin? After that question, you have to consider his tradeoffs between Marth, Lucina, and Robin. If you're going to choose between buying Corrin, Cloud, or Roy, and you want to practice to play competitively, why buy Roy other than having 4-5 bucks left over? I want to strongly criticize the character and his flaws to increase the chances of buffs, and I do want to make it clear that he's easily outclassed by other characters. He's in a weird spot, where I don't think he's terrible, but I don't think he's great or noteworthy in competitive play. I've never known how to approach that.

Roy here is like Ike in Brawl, from my experience in that game from 2009 to 2013. Decent matchups, and in a better spot than Melee Roy, but why play Brawl Ike over someone like Marth, Snake, or Meta Knight? With a more saturated roster close to 60, why play Smash 4 Roy over Ike, Cloud, or Corrin, and maybe some other stepping stones or characters around Roy? It's hard to approach such an issue.
I think you should still stay bit on the unbiased side despite wanting to see possible buffs. Keep it simple when bringing out the flaws Roy has, and don't try to sweat too hard with his current situation.

On the whole "why" thing about Roy, that's kind of polarizing anyone who would wanna attempt to try him. It might be easier to just move on to more capable characters, but it's yet to be proven Roy's anywhere poor that he can't do well on tournaments. He just lacks notable tournament results put to him so far. I'd be still completely fine if he's just even mid-tier, as it'd be a good progress nonetheless.

I wonder if it's more that you still have a choice to just pick more capable characters, so trying to say, develop and play Roy seriously, won't be a massive loss anyway incase it doesn't bring positive results in the long run - at least you contributed to the community while possibly in the meantime the other chars have been developed as well (depending on their popularity).

This is the last part of the script I plan to use, I will be putting all three parts together and heavily revising them as my next step in the project. I will see what I can add, subtract, and smooth out. For now, I'm just going to step back and come back to this later, probably tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty burned after hours of writing today, and I need to come back fresh to properly see what I can fix:

Part 3:
Autocancels aren't the only issue Roy has with aerials, however. His up air and down air are largely outclassed by similar characters in several areas. His up air is a combo-based aerial, yet it cannot net the stock when Roy needs it most. Other up airs, on characters such as Marth, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Ike, Cloud, Fox, and Captain Falcon, have the ability to both combo and net stocks at high percents. Marth can combo up air into up tilt or more aerials, but tipper up air is also a potent kill move. Lucina's up air is similar, without a tip mechanic, while still netting stocks at necessary percents. Robin's up air can net a KO anywhere from 80-100, but it can also combo into itself or other aerials at low and mid percents. Ike's falling up air is an underrated combo tool that can lead into a lot at low and mid percents, and it serves as a strong KO move later. Cloud's up air chains are notorious for their terrifying juggles and ability to rack up damage, but the move is also a great kill move. Corrin's up air is a great combo tool, but you can kill off the top around 90-100 with a good read or punish. Fox can chain up air into itself multiple times, as well as forward air into up air for damage, but it's also one of his most notable kill moves. It can also KO confirm from Fox's side-b or down tilt. Captain Falcon's up air is a strong combo tool that can also combo into knee for stocks, or kill at higher percents.

Roy's up air, however, loses the usefulness of its sweetspot at higher percent. It cannot KO until Sudden Death range, and Roy in general struggles to take stocks unless he forces a large mistake or read to happen. It doesn't kill or lead into kill moves at higher percents, which means the move becomes useless after you rack up a bit of damage. I feel this move would be better balanced if the sweetspot were to KO somewhere between Marth and Lucina's range, or if it had the ability to link into back air or Blazer reliably at percents where they consistently take stocks. This would help address Roy's difficulty in taking stocks despite the power of his blade.

Roy's down air is ridiculously difficult to land the sweetspot on, and when the sourspot lands, it sends the opponent straight up, aiding their recovery and doing nothing but sending them back on-stage with the advantage over us. Other down airs commonly send the opponent at a favorable angle instead with their sourspots, and help with edgeguarding. While this is one of the most difficult down airs to land, even with the sourspot, it somehow has less reward than other down airs. Its high startup and limited range are what make it one of the most difficult down airs to land. Even with the sourspot of the move, we shouldn't be punished for landing it. I feel that the sourspot should send opponents at a horizontal angle towards the blastzone, similar to other meteor aerials. It only feels fair when other characters have these desired knockback angles already, but with easier and more useful meteor aerials.

Roy's down air also has a laughably-small sweetspot, and overall poor range. It doesn't swing in a wide arc like Marth or Lucina's, and it doesn't have as much sheer range as Ike's. When it's as difficult to spike with as these aerials, or even more difficult, with the same startup or worse, it doesn't make sense that we have a pitiful sweetspot and poor range overall. A sweetspot increase and a better sourspot knockback angle would make up for this move's shortcomings, and it would see more use. Many Roys don't even bother with the move at all, and it's practically never optimal or even worth the reward or effort.

Now that we're done covering aerials, let's talk mobility. Isn't mobility one of Roy's greatest strengths? Well, yes and no. Roy clearly has a very fast dash, being the second-fastest running swordsman in the game under normal conditions, with a near-identical run speed to Cloud; the difference is microscopic. However, his air acceleration is among the worst in the game, being more than twice as bad as other high-mobility characters. His air friction, or the loss of his speed in the air, is also among the worst in the game. Because of these attributes, Roy is rarely able to utilize his excellent air speed, overall giving him a clunky and unnatural feeling when taking to the air. At times, he feels almost horizontally stuck if he happens to lose his air speed, which happens easily. He gains air speed at an incredibly slow rate, and loses it at a rather fast rate. His awful dash length makes it so that he has to commit when dashing, and he cannot put up shield or act out of dash as soon as others, which is very uncharacteristic when looking at other mobility-based characters. It takes longer for his dash to come out than others as another result of this, leaving him more vulnerable before his retreat. Most characters in the game have dash lengths with almost half as many frames. It takes away from his control of the ground and general mobility, things Roy is designed to excel at. I feel like these may have been oversights in his design, and that trimming around them will make his design of a high-mobility character more realized. It's another set of changes alongside a few potent autocancels that would add a lot of fluidity to his play, make him handle better, and make him overall a lot better when it comes to approaching and weaving around.

Why exactly does Roy deserve better mobility? He is built to have control of the ground, and when he struggles to weave around a grounded opponent properly or utilize his dash because of poor frame data, it takes away from what his design could be and makes him a weaker character competitively. Characters such as Sonic, Fox, and Captain Falcon don't have a disjoint like Roy, but Roy has pitiful range and doesn't need as much speed as them. He just needs to handle better with a small increase in speed, to have more of a positive niche of his own.

Roy has a fast run speed, but it's still only 11th in the game. It falls under the "kinda fast, but not really fast" category. Most characters above 11th are designed to have strong control in general rather than focus on control of the ground, which makes me feel that Roy is deserving of a run speed buff. If he were to receive between .1 and .12 point in run speed, he'd go from 1.95 to 2.05 or 2.07, making him roughly as fast as Sheik, Mewtwo, and Greninja. He would once again be the fastest swordsman on the ground, with a clear advantage over Cloud. It'd help him avoid being further overshadowed by Cloud, and it'd make up a bit for the difference in their disjoints. Roy would finally have a more dominant presence on the ground that he deserves.

Roy is supposed to be a combo-heavy swordsman, and two of his throws were designed to combo: forward throw and down throw. However, they are inconsistent throws that are only overshadowed by Ike's more rewarding, simple, and consistent up and down throws. Roy's throws very often feel as though they're just an inch away from combo'ing properly, and they're butchered by proper DI and reaction. Down throw's issue is that it lacks hitstun, and forward throw's issue is that Roy is often just an inch away from a combo. Even with forward throw's inconsistency, it still remains a superior combo throw over down throw. Adjustments with hitstun, knockback growth, and launch angles of these throws could balance out their usefulness, make them more consistent, and give them a fine balance and consistency similar to Ike's throws. Rather than opting completely for one throw, ideal throw changes would mean that Roy would have to balance the tradeoffs between each throw at different percents. While Roy's back throw is a useless move, I really don't mind the current state of the move much, and I'd much rather see changes to Roy's combo throws first. However, if back throw were given the ability to link into Blazer or back air (similar to Robin's down throw up air, or Ike's up throw forward air) at high percents beyond 100 or so as a true combo, then Roy would no longer lose to shield as much at high percents or struggle as much to net stocks, and no changes would be needed to do this for his combo throws.

Roy's grab range is awful. He'll be standing in front of a shielding opponent and often miss the grab due to his pitiful grab range. I feel one thing that would help him lose to shield less would be an improved grab range. I'm not asking for anything crazy, just something that's noticeable. A better standing grab, dash grab, and even pivot grab would help a ground-based character establish better control of the ground.

Roy's up smash has many useless frames, and it lacks enough active frames to catch instances that it seemingly should. There are many frames where Roy is igniting the Sword of Seals that aren't active, and they fail to catch an opponent who is exiting intangibility. Even Bowser, one of the game's largest characters with the worst airdodge overall in the game, can reliably airdodge through frames where Roy's up smash seems active. As a committal, multi-hit move, this move simply deserves a handful of extra active frames to catch the opponent with. This would make it a more reliable option to punish airdodges, rolls, and ledge options. It'd also serve as a more reliable anti-air, and overall see more use.

Another huge quality of life change would be to fix the linking hitboxes of Roy's moves. Often, an opponent can escape from up smash, up-b, or side-b and gain stage advantage or punish Roy. Roy's side-b is less reliable and deals less damage than Marth's, and I feel that it definitely deserves a damage increase and better linking hitboxes. Tweaking its knockback and angles would aid most in consistency. It's just discouraging when you land the up smash or up-b needed to take the stock or win the game, only for the opponent to escape in the middle of the move.

Those are the potential changes I feel most passionately about, which would also address his core issues most. Some other changes I propose, most of which have done well in the past at improving other swordfighters, are:
  • 1-2% increases on moves such as forward air, back air, forward tilt, up tilt, neutral air, down air, down smash, down tilt, and jab. This will help these moves with damage output, linking consistently, and KO'ing at more reasonable percents. IF nair and jab, and possibly fair are adjusted, then they should see knockback changes to where they deal more % but still combo at the same or roughly the same areas as before.
  • Sweetspot and range increases on his sword for most/all moves to mitigate his pitiful range and spacing.
  • Up throw taking stocks a decent amount sooner.
  • Increased duration of active hitboxes on neutral-b, more shield damage, more shieldstun.
  • Increased knockback on up-b, and aerial up-b KO'ing off the top of any given stage at similar percents to Corrin's.
  • More active frames and less endlag on moves, to match a lot of Marthcina buffs and address core issues.
  • Better startup on moves, this would matter more than less endlag. Moves like forward air have a startup on frame 10, while Marth's forward air has a startup of 6 and autocancels. Since it's a relatively short and quick swing, its startup can be deceptive until the move is analyzed.
Overall, Roy has a number of flaws that hold him back competitively. I don't think he'll ever be a core threat to competitive play or a truly notable character unless his core flaws are addressed. As it stands, the character is painfully honest, difficult to play completely, and lacks the appeal or tools to build more than a small playerbase. I also don't think he's awful, but he is definitely heavily disadvantaged in comparison to a lot of characters. The ideal buffs I proposed would make Roy a more potent character, potentially top 15-20, without:
  • making any particular tools in his kit ridiculous
  • shutting down any particular cast members, whether it be by making them obselete to play due to Roy's newfound viability, or making their matchup with Roy too difficult
  • shutting down any new playstyles
  • making him too easy to play, broken, or too good
I love the character, and even if Roy never sees improvements, I will continue to main him and push his metagame as much as I can. I would simply like to see him be a better character competitively. It gets tiring when he's been constantly berated across the past decade, only seen as a weak character by many. I was overjoyed in June when he was seen as a much stronger character this time around, finally getting the respect he deserves for being such a cool lord and character. He was brought back due to popular fan demand after being historically overshadowed over the years, and I'd like for Roy to step out of the shadows. I don't feel that it's particularly selfish to want Roy to shine after all of these years, or to push for him to be buffed.

That said, I hope you guys can see where I'm coming from as someone who would like to see Roy buffed, and I hope this video on the competitive buffs Roy needs was enjoyable and informative. If you would like to support the possibility of Roy being buffed, I would suggest spreading this video around and checking the description for links to directly contact Nintendo and Bandai Namco about Roy's need for buffs. I recommend e-mail most, though if you have already e-mailed Nintendo, then I would suggest reaching out to the social media links below.

I took all feedback in the thread into consideration before wrapping up the first draft of part 3, and I will glaze over all feedback again as I go back into revising all three parts to make sure I don't miss anything I'd like to cover.

Last edited:

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
I like your changes a lot actually, but there are a few things I'd like to add. Roy's Lag actually ain't so bad, a lot of the time when a move seems laggy it's just because you can't follow up after it quickly enough. I mean, Jab is -4 on shield drop (meaning they need a frame 3 jab to punish it, or shield grab it if they are close enough), and a lot of his aerials are in a similar spot when spaced properly. The problem is, the only things you can do after hitting someones shield is either shield, roll, or jab. Nothing else Roy has is even remotely fast startup bar Blazer, and you don't want to hit a shield with that EVER. It's gets really predictable when you relay so heavily on defensive options every time you hit a shield.

It would make more sense in my eyes to reduce the startup on some moves rather than reduce endlag (which is still important), mainly his aerials (Fair frame 7, maybe?), so that he can play more reactionary and punish better, rather than try to play a spacing game using low lag moves.

Also don't forget increasing damage heavily affects knockback, so increasing damage on something like Uair without other knockback changes might make it impossible to combo off of.

Last edited:
I like your changes a lot actually, but there are a few things I'd like to add. Roy's Lag actually ain't so bad, a lot of the time when a move seems laggy it's just because you can't follow up after it quickly enough. I mean, Jab is -2 on shield drop (meaning they need a frame one jab to punish it, or frame 7 shield grab it if they are close enough), and a lot of his aerials are in a similar spot when spaced properly. The problem is, the only things you can do after hitting someones shield is either shield, roll, or jab. Nothing else Roy has is even remotely fast startup bar Blazer, and you don't want to hit a shield with that EVER. It's gets really predictable when you relay so heavily on defensive options every time you hit a shield.

It would make more sense in my eyes to reduce the startup on some moves rather than reduce endlag (which is still important), mainly his aerials (Fair frame 7, maybe?), so that he can play more reactionary and punish better, rather than try to play a spacing game using low lag moves.

Also don't forget increasing damage heavily affects knockback, so increasing damage on something like Uair without other knockback changes might make it impossible to combo off of.
I removed up air from that list, since I was worried on the possibility of that happening. I was wondering if it would or not, since Ike's nair is still a reliable combo tool with the damage increase. I thought about it for a long time before putting up air in, actually, and I'm glad it's out now. I'd hate for that increase to ruin the move, since it's already a strong combo tool. It'd lose all use if it didn't combo, and the best it'd do for killing is like.... somewhere in the mid 200's? Bleh, the kill window on that move makes my stomach churn. I'm no frame data expert, but I recall adding % to a move adds hitstun and makes them kill more reliably (Ike's fair and nair), so if that's the case, I think it'd be good on nair and certain moves. If Roy's nair did what Ike's does after the aerial buffs he received in terms of killing, it'd be a really welcome change.

With lag, one common complaint I hear is that Roy is laggy, or that he'd be better with less lag. I don't agree with it much since I have a rather safe poking and spacing based playstyle most of the time, but I would love less endlag in general and more safety from more moves. It'd help a lot in the neutral game. Less laggy approach options might be one of the keys.

I love jab on shield, I also like forward air on shield against characters with tethers, because they can't shieldgrab it if I jab/dtilt on landing. Sometimes they adapt and jab, but proper spacing or just playing against characters who have slower jabs can keep them from doing anything to retaliate. It's so good in the Yoshi matchup.

EDIT: I had a good idea to add into the percent increases to adjust knockback so that it's roughly the same while increasing the %. It'd help us with racking up damage and combos.

Last edited:
I will now begin revisions of parts 2 and/or 3 tonight, to see what I can cut down, improve on, or add. My main goal is to make something that will be the most effective vocally. Rather than edit the posts, I will repost the revisions.

This is my second revision on part 3 of the script, I will do a final revision tomorrow. I felt like editing this most, since I felt I had the most to say or add to it.

I feel that part 2 needs the most revision after this, so I'll work on that next. After that, a second revision on part 1, then final revisions on all three parts. I'll likely have windows to record on Thursday and Friday, so I'll do multiple takes, do audio editing, and then see how much runtime I need footage for. I'll need to use a lot of footage I prepared, as well as create images and visual examples I have in mind as strong filler and to clarify things.

Part 3:

Autocancels aren't Roy's only issue with aerials, however. His up air and down air are largely outclassed by similar characters in several areas. His up air is a combo-based aerial, yet it cannot net the stock when Roy needs it most. Other up airs, on characters such as Marth, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Ike, Cloud, Fox, and Captain Falcon, have the ability to both combo and net stocks at high percents. Marth can combo up air into up tilt or more aerials, but tipper up air is also a potent KO move. Lucina's up air is similar, without a tip mechanic, while still netting stocks at necessary percents. Robin's up air can net a KO anywhere from 80-100, plus it can combo into itself or other aerials at low and mid percents. Ike's falling up air is an underrated combo tool that can lead into a lot at low and mid percents, and it serves as a strong KO move later. Cloud's up air chains are notorious for their terrifying juggles and ability to rack up damage, but the move is also a great KO move. Corrin's up air is a great combo tool, but you can KO off the top around 90-100 with a good read or punish. Fox can chain up air into itself multiple times, as well as forward air into up air for damage, but up air is also one of his most notable KO moves. It can KO confirm by linking from Fox's side-b or down tilt. Captain Falcon's up air is a strong combo tool that can also combo into knee for stocks, or KO at higher percents.

Roy's up air, however, loses the usefulness of its sweetspot at higher percents. It cannot KO until Sudden Death range, and Roy in general struggles to take stocks unless he forces a large mistake or read to happen. It doesn't KO or lead into KO moves at higher percents, which means the move becomes useless after you rack up a bit of damage. I feel this move would be more properly balanced if the sweetspot were to KO somewhere between Marth and Lucina's range, or if it had the ability to link into back air or Blazer reliably at percents where they consistently take stocks. This would help address Roy's difficulty in taking stocks despite the power of his blade.

Roy's down air is ridiculously difficult to land the sweetspot on, and when the sourspot lands, it sends the opponent straight up, aiding their recovery and doing nothing but sending them back on-stage with the advantage over us. Other down airs commonly send the opponent at a favorable angle instead with their sourspots, which help with edgeguarding. While this is one of the most difficult down airs to land, even with the sourspot, it somehow has less reward than other meteor aerials. Its high startup and limited range are what make it one of the most difficult down airs to land. Even with the sourspot of the move, we shouldn't be punished for landing it. I feel that the sourspot should send opponents at a horizontal angle towards the blastzone, similar to other meteor aerials. It only feels fair when other characters have these desired knockback angles already, but with easier and more useful meteor aerials.

Roy's down air also has a laughably-small sweetspot, and overall poor range. It doesn't swing in a wide arc like Marth or Lucina's, and it doesn't have as much sheer vertical range as Ike's. When it's as difficult to spike with as these aerials, or even more difficult, with the same startup or worse, it doesn't make sense that we have a pitiful sweetspot and poor range overall. A sweetspot increase and a better sourspot knockback angle would help make up for this move's shortcomings, and it would see more use. Many Roys don't even bother with the move at all, and it's practically never optimal or even worth the reward or effort. Much better startup and less cooldown after the swing would also be major changes to make the move more useful, to help it match similar aerials in usefulness and allow it to see more offstage use.

Now that we're done covering aerials, let's talk mobility. Isn't mobility one of Roy's greatest strengths? Well, yes and no. Roy clearly has a very fast dash, being the second-fastest running swordsman in the game under normal conditions, with a near-identical run speed to Cloud; the difference is microscopic. However, his air acceleration is among the worst in the game, being more than twice as bad as other high-mobility characters. His air friction, or the loss of his speed in the air, is also among the worst in the game. Because of these attributes, Roy is rarely able to utilize his excellent air speed, overall giving him a clunky and unnatural feeling when taking to the air. At times, he feels almost horizontally stuck if he happens to lose his air speed, which happens easily. He gains air speed at an incredibly slow rate, and loses it at a rather fast rate. His awful dash length makes it so that he has to commit when dashing, and he cannot put up shield or act out of dash as soon as others, which is very uncharacteristic when looking at other mobility-based characters. It takes longer for his dash to come out than others as another result of this, leaving him more vulnerable before his retreat. Most characters in the game have dash lengths with almost half as many frames. It takes away from his control of the ground and general mobility, things Roy is designed to excel at. I feel like these may have been oversights in his design, and that trimming around them will make his design of a high-mobility character more realized. It's another set of changes alongside a few potent autocancels that would add a lot of fluidity to his play, make him handle better, and make him overall a lot better when it comes to approaching and weaving around: his biggest issues.

Why exactly does Roy deserve better mobility? He is built to have control of the ground, and when he struggles to weave around a grounded opponent properly or utilize his dash because of poor frame data, it takes away from what his design could be and makes him a weaker character competitively. Characters such as Sonic, Fox, and Captain Falcon don't have a disjoint like Roy, but Roy has pitiful range and doesn't need quite as much speed as them. He just needs to handle better with a small increase in speed, to have more of a positive niche of his own.

Roy has a fast run speed, but it's still only 11th in the game. It falls under the "kinda fast, but not really fast" category. Most characters above 11th are designed to have strong control in general rather than focus on control of the ground, which makes me feel that Roy is deserving of a run speed buff. If he were to receive between .1 and .12 point in run speed, he'd go from 1.95 to 2.05 or 2.07, making him roughly as fast as Sheik, Mewtwo, and Greninja. He would once again be the fastest swordsman on the ground, with a clear advantage over Cloud. It'd help him avoid being further overshadowed by Cloud, and it'd make up a bit for the difference in their disjoints. Roy would finally have a more dominant presence on the ground that he deserves.

Roy is supposed to be a combo-heavy swordsman, and two of his throws are designed to combo: forward throw and down throw. However, they are inconsistent throws that are only overshadowed by Ike's more rewarding, simple, and consistent up and down throws. Roy's throws very often feel as though they're just an inch away from combo'ing properly, and they're butchered by proper DI and reaction. Down throw's issue is that it lacks hitstun, and forward throw's issue is that Roy is often just an inch away from a combo. Even with forward throw's inconsistency, it still remains a superior combo throw over down throw. Adjustments with hitstun, knockback growth, and launch angles of these throws could balance out their usefulness, make them more consistent, and give them a fine balance and consistency similar to Ike's throws. Rather than opting completely for one throw, ideal throw changes would mean that Roy would have to balance the tradeoffs between each throw at different percents. While Roy's back throw is a useless move, I'd much rather see changes to Roy's combo throws first. However, if back throw were given the ability to link into Blazer or back air (similar to Robin's down throw to up air, or Ike's up throw to forward air) at high percents beyond 110 or so as a true combo, then Roy would no longer lose to shield as much at high percents or struggle as much to net stocks, and no changes would be needed to do this for his combo throws. A proper KO confirm would do so much for Roy, and it's been proven to greatly improve characters such as Robin and DK in the past.

Roy's grab range is awful. He'll be standing in front of a shielding opponent and often miss the grab due to his pitiful grab range. I feel one thing that would help him lose to shield less would be an improved grab range. I'm not asking for anything crazy, just something that's noticeable. A better standing grab, dash grab, and even pivot grab would help a ground-based character such as Roy establish better control of the ground.

Roy's up smash has many useless frames, and it lacks enough active frames to catch instances that it seemingly should. There are many frames where Roy is igniting the Sword of Seals that aren't active, and they fail to catch an opponent who is exiting intangibility. Even Bowser, one of the game's largest characters with the worst airdodge in the game overall, can reliably airdodge through frames where Roy's up smash seems active. As a committal, multi-hit move, this move simply deserves a handful of extra active frames to catch the opponent with. This would make it a more reliable option to punish airdodges, rolls, and ledge options. It'd also serve as a more reliable anti-air, and overall see more use.

Another huge quality of life change would be to fix the linking hitboxes of Roy's moves. Often, an opponent can escape from up smash, up-b, or side-b and gain stage advantage or punish Roy. Roy's side-b is less reliable and deals less damage than Marth's, and I feel that it definitely deserves a damage increase and better linking hitboxes. Tweaking its knockback and angles would aid most in consistency. It's just discouraging when you land the up smash or up-b needed to take the stock or win the game, only for the opponent to escape in the middle of the move.

The changes I covered are potential changes I feel most passionately about, which would address his core issues most. Some other changes I propose, most of which have done well in the past at improving other swordfighters, are:
  • 1-2% increases on moves such as forward air, back air, forward tilt, up tilt, neutral air, down air, down smash, down tilt, and jab. This will help these moves with damage output, linking consistently, and KO'ing at more reasonable percents. IF nair and jab, and possibly fair are adjusted, then they should see knockback changes to where they deal more % but still combo at the same or roughly the same areas as before. Some of these moves don't KO early enough to be useful, such as down smash and back air, and a percentage increase would fix that.
  • Sweetspot and range increases on his sword for most/all moves to mitigate his pitiful range and spacing, and to fix issues with some of Roy's bad hitboxes. Deadzones on his aerials and sword trails could be replaced with sourspots as well.
  • Up throw taking stocks a decent amount sooner. This would greatly help Roy when he struggles to take stocks when his opponent is at 140% and above, and it'd prevent him from losing to shield for ridiculous stretches of time at high percents. Currently, Roy's lack of being able to reliably take stocks from a grab does nothing but stall out the game for both players, requiring Roy to switch to an unnecessary degree of patience at times, strongly hurting the momentum and fluidity of his design as well as taking fun out of the game for both players.
  • Increased duration of active hitboxes on neutral-b, more shield damage, and more shieldstun, for both charged and uncharged variants.
  • Increased knockback on up-b, and aerial up-b KO'ing off the top of any given stage at similar percents to Corrin's, Charizard's, and Little Mac's; other specials which carry opponents through the air. This would make it so that it's no longer heavily outclassed as an up-b.
  • More active frames and less endlag on moves, to match a lot of Marthcina buffs and address core issues. Marth and Lucina have better frame data, notably on startup and active frames, alongside the ability to space opponents better. Roy isn't rewarded enough for a more difficult gameplan, which is invading his opponent's space to rack up damage and gain reward, and proper frame data buffs could be one step in balancing his gameplan out.
  • Much better startup on moves, this would matter more than less endlag. Forward air has a frame 10 startup, while Marth's forward air has a startup of 6 frames and it autocancels on top of being a much better spacing tool. Since Roy's forward air is a relatively short and quick swing, its startup can be deceptive until the move is analyzed.
Overall, Roy has a number of flaws that hold him back competitively. I don't think he'll ever be a core threat to competitive play or a truly notable character unless his core flaws are addressed. As it stands, the character is painfully honest, difficult to play completely, and he lacks the appeal or tools to build more than a small playerbase. I also don't think he's awful, but he is definitely heavily disadvantaged in comparison to a lot of characters. The ideal buffs I proposed would make Roy a more potent character, potentially top 15-20, without:
  • shutting down any particular cast members, whether it be by making them obsolete to play due to Roy's newfound viability, or making their matchup with Roy too difficult
  • or making him too easy to play, broken, or too good, even in more casual play
What would this mean in the grand scheme of things? Roy, as a Fire Emblem character, would have fair tradeoffs for choosing to play him over Ike and Corrin, as well as other Fire Emblem characters. As a DLC swordsman, a player would have to weigh the pros and cons more between buying him, Corrin, or Cloud, and this would ultimately affect DLC sales for the better and take away from a lot of linearity of it. Players who bought Roy would be rewarded more for their purchase, ultimately leaving a better taste in their mouths as customers who have bought Roy in the past year. These changes would add more competitive diversity into the game and breathe life into it, only doing many good things for the game and its future.

But what if Roy never sees buffs?

I love the character, and even if Roy never sees improvements, I will continue to main him and push his metagame as much as I can. I would simply like to see him be a better character competitively. It gets tiring when he's been constantly berated across the past decade, only seen as a weak character by many. It seems that we only want him to be strong, that things would only be better for everyone if Roy was better. I was overjoyed in June when he was seen as a much stronger character this time around, finally getting the respect he deserves for being such a cool lord and character. He was brought back due to popular fan demand after being historically overshadowed throughout the years, and I'd like for Roy to step out of the shadows. It's truly a shame that Roy in his current state cannot meet that demand properly, and that things very likely won't change for the better unless in-game improvements happen. I don't feel that it's particularly selfish to want Roy to shine after all of these years, or to push for him to be buffed. After all, do we really want a potential repeat of what happened in Melee?

That said, I hope you guys can see where I'm coming from as someone who would like to see Roy buffed, and I hope this video on the competitive buffs Roy needs was enjoyable and informative. If you would like to support the possibility of Roy being buffed, I would suggest spreading this video around and checking the description for links to directly contact Nintendo and Bandai Namco about Roy's need for buffs. I recommend e-mail most, though if you have already e-mailed Nintendo, then I would suggest reaching out to the social media links below.

I just did a revision of Part 2, I will give a basic revision to part 1 soon and do a final revision of all three parts tomorrow:

Part 2:
Roy simply doesn't have special properties on his aerials. He doesn't fly away from his opponent after back air, he can't continually swat someone's shield with spaced aerials like all other Fire Emblem characters, and his up air and down air are straight-up outclassed by similar characters. Roy is painfully honest, especially with aerials. I feel that one of Roy's biggest problems is that he has no autocancel aerials from a short hop, while other Fire Emblem characters, fastfallers, and DLC swordfighters have plenty. This would also be one of his easiest core design flaws to fix, only needing unnecessary frames and fat trimmed from several aerials.

Marth and Lucina can safely space forward and back air safely due to their generous autocancel and IASA windows, allowing them to either jump away quickly after a swing, or drift away and land with zero lag. Being able to autocancel up air from a short hop aids with juggling and frame traps. These seem like small details, but they do an incredible amount for these characters.

Ike's forward air and back air serve as strong spacing tools, but their autocancel windows add so much to them as spacing options and how Ike can land after a short hop. They give Ike a more fluid and satisfying feeling.

Robin has autocancel windows on all aerials except down air. This opens up so many ways for the character to be safe on shield, and many unique frame trap and juggle opportunities, without making any specific aerial have too much of a bread-and-butter factor with spacing. At the same time, Robin isn't overpowered against shields, or overpowered as a character.

Cloud's autocancel aerials give him a ridiculous amount of safety on shield, allowing him to safely swing his massive sword at an opponent. Cloud's back air is great for pure spacing, his neutral air swings in a massive arc to cover many options, and his up air allows for insane juggling pressure. From a full hop, Cloud can carry his down air's hitbox to the ground and autocancel. It functions as a spacing tool against shield, and if it connects, it has a lot of combo potential into aerials and Cloud's limit breaks. In limit, he becomes a fastfaller with incredible ground and aerial mobility, and the only autocancel he loses is back air, which is still a really strong spacing option. His neutral air and up air only become better with limit.

While justification for Roy's aerials lacking autocancel windows might involve him being a fastfaller, we also have to keep in mind Limit Cloud's autocancel windows as a fastfaller swordsman, and the autocancel windows of other fastfallers: Fox and Captain Falcon.

Captain Falcon has a whopping three autocancel windows as a fastfaller: neutral air, back air, and up air. Back air is an excellent spacing tool that also KOs, while nair and uair are great combo starters. Falcon's autocancel windows allow him to wall horizontally with nair and bair, and up air becomes a better combo, juggle, and frame trap tool. It makes up air to knee a thing. Falcon can also cause good pressure by jabbing immediately after up air. Overall, these autocancels on important aerials open up a lot of creativity, and give Falcon a fluid feel in neutral rather than making him feel stiff to play.

Fox's up air and back air autocancel from a short hop; back air has a generous window, while up air's is tight but manageable. He can use bair to wall an opponent safely and look for the KO, while up air's autocancel helps it pressure and juggle better. Because of his autocancel windows combined with other pokes such as pivot ftilt, Fox doesn't lose to shield in neutral unless he's looking to take stocks, and overall has a much better neutral.

Now, do you see where I'm coming from when I feel frustrated that Roy lacks any autocancels while other Fire Emblem characters, DLC swordfighters, and fastfallers have a hefty amount of them? Even Little Mac, a character known to be designed to have lackluster air game, has four autocancel aerials.

Why are autocancel aerials such a big deal for Roy? Well, to start, one of his biggest issues is lag on moves, and how a lot of his moves have frame disadvantage. Roy has no aerials that are even close to safe on shield. Rising nair is the closest thing he has. It puts Roy in a bad position, being straight above his opponent, sometimes with no jumps left. Rising back air is another similar option. Since Roy is rising, these have practically no reward if they hit, and no follow-ups. Roy is directly giving up stage control for this as well, so is it really worth it for general scenarios?

Roy loses to shield, and he can have trouble approaching at times. With a few autocancel aerials, these issues likely wouldn't hurt Roy nearly as much. Out of his aerials, I propose forward air, back air, and neutral air as the best autocancel candidates; they make the most sense, they'd help Roy most, and they'd only take shaving unnecessary, fatty frames from aerials to finish.

Let's start with forward air. It has landing lag LONG after the move ends, which makes no sense. As a rushdown character who is supposed to control the ground, why can't Roy swat an opponent close to the ground safely like Corrin or Ike? Roy shouldn't have landing lag long after the move has ended, but on top of that, I also feel he should have plenty of room to fastfall or use the move close to the ground and still get the autocancel. The move is incredibly short, especially compared to other forward airs. Another reason on why this move having landing lag from a short hop is ridiculous is its IASA frames. Roy can jump or use a special in midair after the forward air, but he always lands with lag otherwise. These options are too risky or committal, as approaching with a special is extremely unsafe, and you don't want to be above your opponent without a double jump just because you want to avoid some landing lag. If the IASA frames are taken into account, then this is the shortest aerial of all of the characters I've mentioned so far; which is weird when Roy is the only Fire Emblem character without an autocancel forward air. Even Corrin's forward air and Falcon's back air only last 6 more frames in total than Roy's forward air, making them 36 total frames. A generous autocancel window on fair where timings could be mixed up would make fair a less awkward combo tool. It'd remove the linear and stiff feeling from fair. We'd also have a great tool against shield, most notably an aerial, and it'd encourage more diverse approach options and make it harder to shut down Roy with defensive options. Less startup, unnecessary frames outside of active frames being trimmed down, and landing lag only occurring after potent IASA plus a few frames for the sake of autocancel freedom would be a few simple tweaks that do all of this without making the aerial too powerful.

I feel that Roy's neutral air should work in a similar line with Falcon's. Since Falcon's autocancels shortly after the second swing, it becomes better for spacing and combos. Roy's nair is similar in the sense that Roy lands shortly after the second swing when he doesn't fastfall. In fact, Roy has more time between the second swing and landing than Falcon does with his second kick and landing. Since Roy receives landing lag no matter what after nair, fastfalling it is almost always a superior option. Similar to Falcon, if Roy's nair autocanceled when he simply doesn't fastfall at all, it would balance out these different landings with the move. The player would have to consider the tradeoffs of fastfalling with nair, and it'd remove a lot of stiffness and linearity of the move. Alongside forward air, nair autocanceling wouldn't just make forward air the bread-and-butter spacing option on shield, since Roy would have multiple ways to space on shield with aerials, alongside his grounded poking tools. His tilts alone make his spacing on shield easy to read and react to, but putting them in a pool of diverse options with a few aerials, in my opinion, is the #1 step to ultimately solve the issue. It would make Roy's play more fluid and satisfying, and it'd help tackle some of his biggest core issues against defensive options and having to approach. It only seems fair, since Roy has to reach you to harass you with his sweetspots, and he can really only play the neutral game when he's in the range to pressure you with his short blade's hilt.

Finally, back air. This aerial is the closest in frame data to potentially autocanceling, only being above forward air by one frame, and it'd be the easiest to tune to do so. This aerial rarely sees use, and it's clumsy and awkward to execute due to its landing lag. If short hop back air could autocancel, then it'd be a similar back air to Fox, Falcon, Cloud, Marth, Lucina, Robin, and Ike, to where it's a more reliable high-knockback spacing tool that adds more to the character. As it stands, the move is one of Roy's least useful, and it rarely sees use. The move has potential to lead into creative follow-ups through its sweetspot and sourspot, and potential to wall that is held back by its lack of an autocancel window from short hop. Because back air turns Roy around, I feel that adding more use to the move could see more applications of this small detail and add depth to the character. This move is pretty similar to forward air, so I feel that giving more autocancel frames to forward air than this move would make for a great balance between the two, where forward air is used more to combo and approach while back air is used to wall people away and knock them offstage.

I don't feel that up air and down air are deserving of autocancel windows. Marth and Lucina's up airs barely have any frames to autocancel with, and Roy having an autocancel on that move wouldn't be fair to those characters by any means. A fair tradeoff, and one thing that would help keep Roy unique compared to Marth, would be to give each three autocancel windows, with Roy having a strict one on nair and Marth having the strict one he already has on up air. This would allow each to consider the tradeoffs of landing differently with these respective aerials, while having essential forward air and back air spacing. It's kind of like version exclusives in Pokemon, where both versions share a lot of strong Pokemon, but each has a core set of unique Pokemon and a core legendary that draws different players. Ruby Roy and Sapphire Marth, anyone? To add to it further, Marth has more generous autocancel windows on his back air than his forward air, so Roy could have more generous autocancel windows on his forward air than his back air to contrast with Marth.

Roy already has plenty of combo potential from up air, being able to use it to rack up massive damage and even lead to a KO or edgeguard from linking it into back air, albeit you have to be near the ledge and catch bad DI or unfavorable weights to do so. Otherwise, you have to trap a landing or punish aerial options with the angle the opponent is sent flying. It has a lot of hitstun, and it sends foes at a favorable angle to combo at many percents. I feel the risk-reward of the move is already appropriate, and it'd be even more appropriate with proper improvements to forward air, back air, and neutral air. It'd fit more as a risk-reward puzzle piece to Roy if it stayed the same while other aerials were given more safety and general use.

Finally, down air. This is a committal read-based option, where the reward is based on the player's spacing and creativity. While it's one of Roy's least useful moves in general, I don't feel that any of its issues are related to landing lag. Alongside up air, this is a move I personally wouldn't adjust the grounded landing of.

In short, changing forward air, back air, and neutral air to have unique autocancel windows that balance Roy relative to similar characters would help fix some of Roy's core issues without making him or any of his moves too powerful. Rather, his kit would be more complete, and each interaction and piece of his kit would become more meaningful. His fighting style makes him a rushdown glass-cannon swordsman who aims to control the ground, and these changes would only compliment it. It would give him more room to push aggression onto his opponents, while also giving him more room to weave around in a guerrilla style until he finds an opening. As of now, the current state of Roy's aerials is actually counter-productive to what his fighting style should be.

Roy Buffs Script: Final or Near-Final Revision:

Part 1:
Before I get into this video, I want to make it clear that I do not believe Roy is a bottom or even low-tier character, and I aim to avoid making others think so at all costs. While I feel his matchup spread limits him from being a high-tier character, it is very similar to the spreads of mid-tier characters, and it is simply too good to limit him to bottom-tier. That said, he is still in dire need of improvements. Roy is easily outclassed by fellow Fire Emblem lords Corrin and Ike, who are also easier to utilize and perform well with in competitive play, among other issues.

With the mountain of buffs Marth and Lucina received, Roy was admittedly left in the dust. He still has many hitbox and range issues, many of which can be fixed with similar treatment; more active frames on moves, sword trails synced to deadzone less, larger hitboxes to help mitigate the pitifiul range of the Sword of Seals, and a slightly larger sweetspot on at least a good handful of moves would help fix core issues with moves such as forward air, down air, and up tilt. As it stands, Marth, Lucina, and Robin being better competitively is debatable, but it's difficult to debate from Roy's side due to having the smallest playerbase and a lack of major tournament results. On top of that, Roy currently receives far more flak competitively than any of these characters. It's difficult and tricky to work with Roy's tools and neutral game, and he just isn't rewarded enough for his gameplan. While I feel Roy is underdeveloped and has more to offer with his current tools, he's still limited. He's outclassed in multiple ways by other Fire Emblem characters, and by other DLC swordfighters.

As it stands, Marth is possibly better than Roy due to better frame data, better spacing tools, a better neutral game, better recovery, and eating punishes and combos less than Roy. Even before Marth's mountain of buffs recently, people were already starting to believe that Marth had better matchups and potential, namely due to Roy's lack of tournament results.

Sakurai did not want Marth to simply outclass Roy again, which he strongly emphasized in the Nintendo Direct officially revealing Roy. Because of this, I don't feel that Roy deserves to be left in the dust. I feel that he needs certain strengths tuned to at least match Marth's current general kit, and have genuine strengths and tradeoffs over Marth to any given competitive player labbing and trying out both Marth and Roy after any hypothetical buffs.

Ike is similar to Roy, being a power-based character who has a strong punish game and ability to gain massive mileage off reads. They're both combo food, and they both have linear recoveries that can sometimes be easy to edgeguard. However, with Ike's more reliable and consistent punishes from throws, spacing tools, autocancels from his most rewarding aerials, ability to live longer and more reliably store rage, stronger and more consistent tilts, more versatile jab, better matchups, and better frame data, he outclasses Roy to an unfair degree.

Roy does win in mobility over Ike, but Ike's use of good empty hops, autocancel windows from forward air and back air, safer options in general, and massive pivot grab range ultimately outclass a good amount of Roy's tools outright and make up for deficits in the neutral game.

Corrin, fellow Fire Emblem lord and DLC swordsman, has many amazing tools that make them a threat in competitive play. Their powerful and barely-committal stun projectile that can amass incredible damage or early KO's with different levels of charge is unbelievably good. Even from a small punish or read at mid percents, a nearly full-charged bite after a weak shot can KO. Corrin's side-b has numerous mixups, a lot of raw damage from a pin, an insanely-powerful tip, a terrifying amount of range, potential to aid recovery and stall in midair similar to Marth's side-b or Fox's shine, and it acts as a sixth aerial with KO power. Corrin's up-b has pesky hitboxes and an insane 8 frames of intangibility on startup that make edgeguarding difficult at times, especially when trying to run offstage to throw an aerial towards the ledge. It can KO off the top of a stage easily from a good punish (notably from an airdodge), and the drift Corrin has afterwards ultimately makes it an insane recovery. We all know the power of Corrin's counter and its mileage from a good read or punish. Outside of specials, Corrin in general has very strong tools. Their tilts are quick, great for spacing, they have great combos and follow-ups, and they're often pretty safe. Corrin's autocancel on forward air makes it a great swatting tool that is safe if spaced well, and it can lead into insane reward. After the autocancel, Corrin can use a jab mixup, grab, tilt, roll away, instant pin, jump, or retreat otherwise. Outside of safety in neutral, their autocancel also opens up more windows for what Corrin can combo or follow-up their forward air with. If Corrin had the same landing lag as Roy from their forward air, the move definitely wouldn't be as useful, and it'd have more linearity with fastfall landings almost always being the best option for it.

Corrin's jab can gentleman, rapid jab, and cancel for mixups. In general, Corrin has many mixups in neutral, great reward from their safer moves, ability to rack up damage, ability to KO early off a good read, and well-rounded matchups with plenty of strong ones. Proper tip spacing is what nets general KO's, but up air, a good pin at high percents, an up-b read or punish, a counter read, back air, down smash, and Corrin's vertical throws ultimately need no specific tip spacing to be great KO options, even though some have strong sweetspots that net them earlier KO's.

Corrin may only have one autocancel aerial, but their other aerials have some insane properties to make up for it. Neutral air having so many active frames while circling Corrin is insane alone, the move is also a reliable combo breaker. On top of that, it can also be a strong combo tool. Back air KO's, it is large and very safe, and it pushes Corrin, aiding the move's safety and Corrin's ability to recover. Up air both combos and KO's, and down air can beat aggression, escape moves such as Robin's Arcfire, land, trade stocks, and reliably footstool combo on both the ground and in the air. Now, where does this put Roy?

Part 2:
Roy simply doesn't have special properties on his aerials. He doesn't fly away from his opponent after back air, he can't continually swat someone's shield with spaced aerials like all other Fire Emblem characters, and his up air and down air are straight-up outclassed by similar characters. Roy is painfully honest, especially with aerials. I feel that one of Roy's biggest problems is that he has no autocancel aerials from a short hop, while other Fire Emblem characters, fastfallers, and DLC swordfighters have plenty. This would also be one of his easiest core design flaws to fix, only needing unnecessary frames and fat trimmed from several aerials.

Robin has autocancel windows on all aerials except down air. This opens up so many ways for the character to be safe on shield, and many unique frame trap and juggle opportunities, without making any specific aerial have too much of a bread-and-butter factor with spacing. At the same time, Robin isn't overpowered against shields, or overpowered as a character.

Cloud's autocancel aerials give him a ridiculous amount of safety on shield, allowing him to safely swing his massive sword at an opponent. Cloud's back air is great for pure spacing, his neutral air swings in a massive arc to cover many options, and his up air allows for insane juggling pressure. From a full hop, Cloud can carry his down air's hitbox to the ground and autocancel. It functions as a spacing tool against shield, and if it connects, it has a lot of combo potential into aerials and Cloud's limit breaks. In limit, he becomes a fastfaller with incredible ground and aerial mobility, and the only autocancel he loses is back air, which is still a really strong spacing option. His neutral air and up air only become better with limit.

Captain Falcon has a whopping three autocancel windows as a fastfaller: neutral air, back air, and up air. Back air is an excellent spacing tool that also KOs, while nair and uair are great combo starters. Falcon's autocancel windows allow him to wall horizontally with nair and bair, and up air becomes a better combo, juggle, and frame trap tool. It makes up air to knee a thing. Falcon can also cause good pressure by jabbing immediately after up air. Overall, these autocancels on important aerials open up a lot of creativity, and give Falcon a fluid feel in neutral rather than making him feel stiff to play.

Fox's up air and back air autocancel from a short hop; back air has a generous window, while up air's is tight but manageable. He can use bair to wall an opponent safely and look for the KO, while up air's autocancel helps it pressure and juggle better. Because of his autocancel windows combined with other pokes such as pivot ftilt, Fox doesn't lose to shield in neutral unless he's looking to take stocks, and overall has a much better neutral.

Why are autocancel aerials such a big deal for Roy? Well, to start, one of his biggest issues is lag on moves, and how a lot of his moves have frame disadvantage. Roy has no aerials that are even close to safe on shield. Rising nair is the closest thing he has. It puts Roy in a bad position, being straight above his opponent, sometimes with no jumps left. Rising back air is another similar option. Since Roy is rising, these have practically no reward if they hit, and no follow-ups. Roy is directly giving up stage control for this as well, so is it really worth it for general scenarios?

Let's start with forward air. It has landing lag LONG after the move ends, which makes no sense. As a rushdown character who is supposed to control the ground, why can't Roy swat an opponent close to the ground safely like Corrin or Ike? Roy shouldn't have landing lag long after the move has ended, but on top of that, I also feel he should have plenty of room to fastfall or use the move close to the ground and still get the autocancel. The move is incredibly short, especially compared to other forward airs. Another reason on why this move having landing lag from a short hop is ridiculous is its IASA frames. Roy can jump or use a special in midair after the forward air, but he always lands with lag otherwise. These options are too risky or committal, as approaching with a special is extremely unsafe, and you don't want to be above your opponent without a double jump just because you want to avoid some landing lag. If the IASA frames are taken into account, then this is the shortest aerial of all of the characters I've mentioned so far; which is weird when Roy is the only Fire Emblem character without an autocancel forward air. Even Corrin's forward air and Falcon's back air only last 6 more frames in total than Roy's forward air, making them 36 total frames. A generous autocancel window on fair where timings could be mixed up would make fair a less awkward combo tool. It'd remove the linear and stiff feeling from fair. We'd also have a great tool against shield, most notably an aerial, and it'd encourage more diverse approach options and make it harder to shut down Roy with defensive options. Less startup, unnecessary frames outside of active frames being trimmed down, and landing lag only occurring after potent IASA plus a few frames for the sake of autocancel freedom would be a few simple tweaks that do all of this without making the aerial too powerful.

I feel that Roy's neutral air should work in a similar line with Falcon's. Since Falcon's autocancels shortly after the second swing, it becomes better for spacing and combos. Roy's nair is similar in the sense that Roy lands shortly after the second swing when he doesn't fastfall. In fact, Roy has more time between the second swing and landing than Falcon does with his second kick and landing. Since Roy receives landing lag no matter what after nair, fastfalling it is almost always a superior option. Similar to Falcon, if Roy's nair autocanceled when he simply doesn't fastfall at all, it would balance out these different landings with the move. The player would have to consider the tradeoffs of fastfalling with nair, and it'd remove a lot of stiffness and linearity of the move. Alongside forward air, nair autocanceling wouldn't just make forward air the bread-and-butter spacing option on shield, since Roy would have multiple ways to space on shield with aerials, alongside his grounded poking tools. His tilts alone make his spacing on shield easy to read and react to, but putting them in a pool of diverse options with a few aerials, in my opinion, is the #1 step to ultimately solve the issue. It would make Roy's play more fluid and satisfying, and it'd help tackle some of his biggest core issues against defensive options and having to approach. It only seems fair, since Roy has to reach you to harass you with his sweetspots, and he can really only play the neutral game when he's in the range to pressure you with his short blade's hilt.

Finally, back air. This aerial is the closest in frame data to potentially autocanceling, only being above forward air by one frame, and it'd be the easiest to tune to do so. This aerial rarely sees use, and it's clumsy and awkward to execute due to its landing lag. If short hop back air could autocancel, then it'd be a similar back air to Fox, Falcon, Cloud, Marth, Lucina, Robin, and Ike, to where it's a more reliable high-knockback spacing tool that adds more to the character. As it stands, the move is one of Roy's least useful, and it rarely sees use. The move has potential to lead into creative follow-ups through its sweetspot and sourspot, and potential to wall that is held back by its lack of an autocancel window from short hop. Because back air turns Roy around, I feel that adding more use to the move could see more applications of this small detail and add depth to the character. This move is pretty similar to forward air, so I feel that giving more autocancel frames to forward air than this move would make for a great balance between the two, where forward air is used more to combo and approach while back air is used to wall people away and knock them offstage.

I don't feel that up air and down air are deserving of autocancel windows. Marth and Lucina's up airs barely have any frames to autocancel with, and Roy having an autocancel on that move wouldn't be fair to those characters by any means. A fair tradeoff, and one thing that would help keep Roy unique compared to Marth, would be to give each three autocancel windows, with Roy having a strict one on nair and Marth having the strict one he already has on up air. This would allow each to consider the tradeoffs of landing differently with these respective aerials, while having essential forward air and back air spacing. It's kind of like version exclusives in Pokemon, where both versions share a lot of strong Pokemon, but each has a core set of unique Pokemon and a core legendary that draws different players. Ruby Roy and Sapphire Marth, anyone? To add to it further, Marth has more generous autocancel windows on his back air than his forward air, so Roy could have more generous autocancel windows on his forward air than his back air to contrast with Marth.

Roy already has plenty of combo potential from up air, being able to use it to rack up massive damage and even lead to a KO or edgeguard from linking it into back air, albeit you have to be near the ledge and catch bad DI or unfavorable weights to do so. Otherwise, you have to trap a landing or punish aerial options with the angle the opponent is sent flying. It has a lot of hitstun, and it sends foes at a favorable angle to combo at many percents. I feel the risk-reward of the move is already appropriate, and it'd be even more appropriate with proper improvements to forward air, back air, and neutral air. It'd fit more as a risk-reward puzzle piece to Roy if it stayed the same while other aerials were given more safety and general use.

Finally, down air. This is a committal read-based option, where the reward is based on the player's spacing and creativity. While it's one of Roy's least useful moves in general, I don't feel that any of its issues are related to landing lag. Alongside up air, this is a move I personally wouldn't adjust the grounded landing of.

In short, changing forward air, back air, and neutral air to have unique autocancel windows that balance Roy relative to similar characters would help fix some of Roy's core issues without making him or any of his moves too powerful. Rather, his kit would be more complete, and each interaction and piece of his kit would become more meaningful. His fighting style makes him a rushdown glass-cannon swordsman who aims to control the ground, and these changes would only compliment it. It would give him more room to push aggression onto his opponents, while also giving him more room to weave around in a guerrilla style until he finds an opening. As of now, the current state of Roy's aerials is actually counter-productive to what his fighting style should be.

Part 3:
Autocancels aren't Roy's only issue with aerials, however. His up air and down air are largely outclassed by similar characters in several areas. His up air is a combo-based aerial, yet it cannot net the stock when Roy needs it most. Other up airs, on characters such as Marth, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Ike, Cloud, Fox, and Captain Falcon, have the ability to both combo and net stocks at high percents. Marth can combo up air into up tilt or more aerials, but tipper up air is also a potent KO move. Lucina's up air is similar, without a tip mechanic, while still netting stocks at necessary percents. Robin's up air can net a KO anywhere from 80-100, plus it can combo into itself or other aerials at low and mid percents. Ike's falling up air is an underrated combo tool that can lead into a lot at low and mid percents, and it serves as a strong KO move later. Cloud's up air chains are notorious for their terrifying juggles and ability to rack up damage, but the move is also a great KO move. Corrin's up air is a great combo tool, but you can KO off the top around 90-100 with a good read or punish. Fox can chain up air into itself multiple times, as well as forward air into up air for damage, but up air is also one of his most notable KO moves. It can KO confirm by linking from Fox's side-b, down air, or down tilt. Captain Falcon's up air is a strong combo tool that can also combo into knee for stocks, or KO at higher percents.

Roy's up air, however, loses the usefulness of its sweetspot at higher percents. It cannot KO until Sudden Death range, and Roy in general struggles to take stocks unless he forces a large mistake or read to happen. It doesn't KO or lead into KO moves at higher percents, which means the move becomes useless after you rack up a bit of damage. I feel this move would be more properly balanced if the sweetspot were to KO somewhere between Marth and Lucina's range, or if it had the ability to link into back air or Blazer reliably at percents where they consistently take stocks. This would help address Roy's difficulty in taking stocks without a read or punish despite the power of his blade.

Roy's down air is ridiculously difficult to land the sweetspot on, and when the sourspot lands, it sends the opponent straight up, aiding their recovery and doing nothing but sending them back on-stage with the advantage over us. Other down airs commonly send the opponent at a favorable angle instead with their sourspots, which help with edgeguarding. While this is one of the most difficult down airs to land, even with the sourspot, it somehow has less reward than other meteor aerials. Its high startup and limited range are what make it one of the most difficult down airs to land. Even with the sourspot of the move, we shouldn't be punished for landing it. I feel that the sourspot should send opponents at a horizontal angle towards the blastzone, similar to other meteor aerials. It only feels fair when other characters have these desired knockback angles already, but with easier and more useful meteor aerials.

Roy's down air also has a laughably-small sweetspot, and overall poor range. It doesn't swing in a wide arc like Marth or Lucina's, and it doesn't have as much sheer vertical range as Ike's. When it's as difficult to spike with as these aerials, or even more difficult, with the same startup or worse, it doesn't make sense that we have a pitiful sweetspot and poor range overall. A sweetspot increase and a better sourspot knockback angle would help make up for this move's shortcomings, and it would see more use. Many Roys don't even bother with the move at all, and it's practically never optimal or even worth the reward or effort. Much better startup and less midair cooldown after the swing would also be major changes to make the move more useful, to help it match similar aerials in usefulness and allow it to see more offstage use.

Now that we're done covering aerials, let's talk mobility. Isn't mobility one of Roy's greatest strengths? Well, yes and no. Roy clearly has a very fast dash, being the second-fastest running swordsman in the game under normal conditions, with a near-identical run speed to Cloud; the difference is microscopic. However, his air acceleration is among the worst in the game, being more than twice as bad as other high-mobility characters. His air friction, or the loss of his speed in the air, is also among the worst in the game. Because of these attributes, Roy is rarely able to utilize his excellent air speed, overall giving him a clunky and unnatural feeling when taking to the air. At times, he feels almost horizontally stuck if he happens to lose his air speed, which happens easily. He gains air speed at an incredibly slow rate, and loses it at a rather fast rate. His awful dash length makes it so that he has to commit when dashing, and he cannot put up shield or act out of dash as soon as others, which is very uncharacteristic when looking at other mobility-based characters. It takes longer for his dash to come out than others as another result of this, leaving him more vulnerable before his retreat. Most characters in the game have dash lengths with almost half as many frames. It takes away from his control of the ground and general mobility, things Roy is designed to excel at. I feel like these may have been oversights in his design, and that trimming around them will make his design of a high-mobility character more realized. It's another set of changes alongside a few potent autocancels that would add a lot of fluidity to his play, make him handle better, and make him overall a lot better when it comes to approaching and weaving around: his biggest issues.

Why exactly does Roy deserve better mobility? He is built to have control of the ground, and when he struggles to weave around a grounded opponent properly or utilize his dash because of poor frame data, it takes away from what his design could be and makes him a weaker character competitively. Characters such as Sonic, Fox, and Captain Falcon don't have a sword like Roy, but Roy has pitiful range and doesn't need quite as much speed as them. He just needs to handle better with a small increase in speed, to have more of a positive niche of his own.

Roy has a fast run speed, but it's still only 11th in the game. It falls under the "kinda fast, but not really fast" category. Most characters above 11th are designed to have strong control in general rather than focus on control of the ground, which makes me feel that Roy is deserving of a run speed buff. If he were to receive between .1 and .12 point in run speed, he'd go from 1.95 to 2.05 or 2.07, making him roughly as fast as Sheik, Mewtwo, and Greninja. He would once again be the fastest swordsman on the ground, with a clear advantage over Cloud. It'd help him avoid being further overshadowed by Cloud, and it'd make up a bit for the difference in their swords. Roy would finally have a more dominant presence on the ground that he deserves.

Roy is supposed to be a combo-heavy swordsman, and two of his throws are designed to combo: forward throw and down throw. However, they are inconsistent throws that are only overshadowed by Ike's more rewarding, simple, and consistent up and down throws. Roy's throws very often feel as though they're just an inch away from combo'ing properly, and they're butchered by proper DI and reaction. Down throw's issue is that it lacks hitstun, and forward throw's issue is that Roy is often just an inch away from a combo. Even with forward throw's inconsistency, it still remains a superior combo throw over down throw. Adjustments with hitstun, knockback growth, and launch angles of these throws could balance out their usefulness, make them more consistent, and give them a fine balance and consistency similar to Ike's throws. Rather than opting completely for one throw, ideal throw changes would mean that Roy would have to balance the tradeoffs between each throw at different percents. While Roy's back throw is a useless move, I'd much rather see changes to Roy's combo throws first. However, if back throw were given the ability to link into Blazer or back air (similar to Robin's down throw to up air, or Ike's up throw to forward air) at high percents beyond 110 or so as a true combo, then Roy would no longer lose to shield as much at high percents or struggle as much to net stocks, and no changes would be needed to do this for his combo throws. A proper KO confirm would do so much for Roy, and it's been proven to greatly improve characters such as Robin and DK in the past.

Roy's grab range is awful. He'll be standing in front of a shielding opponent and often miss the grab due to his pitiful grab range. I feel one thing that would help him lose to shield less would be an improved grab range. I'm not asking for anything crazy, just something that's noticeable. A better standing grab, dash grab, and even pivot grab would help a ground-based character such as Roy establish better control of the ground.

Roy's up smash has many useless frames, and it lacks enough active frames to catch instances that it seemingly should. There are many frames where Roy is igniting the Sword of Seals that aren't active, and they fail to catch an opponent who is exiting intangibility. Even Bowser, one of the game's largest characters with the worst airdodge in the game overall, can reliably airdodge through frames where Roy's up smash seems active. As a committal, multi-hit move, this move simply deserves a handful of extra active frames to catch the opponent with. This would make it a more reliable option to punish airdodges, rolls, and ledge options. It'd also serve as a more reliable anti-air, and overall see more use.

The changes I covered are potential changes I feel most passionately about, which would address his core issues most. Some other changes I propose, most of which have done well in the past at improving other swordfighters, are:
  • 1-2% increases on moves such as forward air, back air, forward tilt, up tilt, neutral air, down air, down smash, down tilt, and jab. This will help these moves with damage output, linking consistently, and KO'ing at more reasonable percents. IF nair and jab, and possibly fair are adjusted, then they should see knockback changes to where they deal more % but still combo at the same or roughly the same areas as before, while at the same time KO'ing sooner than before. Some of these moves don't KO early enough to be useful, such as down smash and back air, and a raw percentage increase would fix that.
  • Sweetspot and range increases on his sword for most/all moves to mitigate his pitiful range and spacing, and to fix issues with some of Roy's bad hitboxes. Deadzones on his aerials and sword trails could be replaced with sourspots as well.
  • Up throw taking stocks a decent amount sooner. This would greatly help Roy when he struggles to take stocks when his opponent is at 140% and above, and it'd prevent him from losing to shield for ridiculous stretches of time at high percents. Currently, Roy's lack of being able to reliably take stocks from a grab does nothing but stall out the game for both players, requiring Roy to switch to an unnecessary degree of patience at times, strongly hurting the momentum and fluidity of his design as well as taking fun out of the game for both players. Nobody likes having their % racked up to 170 or 180 before they lose their stock to an up throw, and nobody likes doing it.
  • Increased duration of active hitboxes on neutral-b, more shield damage, and more shieldstun, for both charged and uncharged variants.
  • Increased knockback on up-b, and aerial up-b KO'ing off the top of any given stage at similar percents to Corrin's, Charizard's, and Little Mac's; other specials which carry opponents through the air. This would make it so that it's no longer heavily outclassed as an up-b.
  • More active frames and less endlag on moves, to match a lot of Marthcina buffs and address core issues. Marth and Lucina have better frame data, notably on startup and active frames, alongside the ability to space opponents better. Roy isn't rewarded enough for a more difficult gameplan, which is invading his opponent's space to rack up damage and gain reward, and proper frame data buffs could be one step in balancing his gameplan out.
  • Much better startup on moves, this would matter more than less endlag. Forward air has a frame 10 startup, while Marth's forward air has a startup of 6 frames and it autocancels on top of being a much better spacing tool. Since Roy's forward air is a relatively short and quick swing, its startup can be deceptive until the move is analyzed.
Overall, Roy has a number of flaws that hold him back competitively. I don't think he'll ever be a core threat to competitive play or a truly notable character unless his core flaws are addressed. As it stands, the character is painfully honest, difficult to play completely, and he lacks the appeal or tools to build more than a small playerbase. I also don't think he's awful, but he is definitely heavily disadvantaged in comparison to a lot of characters. The ideal buffs I proposed would make Roy a more potent character, potentially top 15-20, without:
  • shutting down any particular cast members, whether it be by making them obsolete to play due to Roy's newfound viability, or making their matchup with Roy too difficult
  • or making him too easy to play, broken, or too good, even in more casual play
What would this mean in the grand scheme of things? Roy, as a Fire Emblem character, would have fair tradeoffs for choosing to play him over Ike and Corrin, as well as other Fire Emblem characters. As a DLC swordsman, a player would have to weigh the pros and cons more between buying him, Corrin, or Cloud, and this would ultimately affect DLC sales for the better and take away from a lot of linearity of it. Players who bought Roy would be rewarded more for their purchase, ultimately leaving a better taste in their mouths as customers who have bought Roy in the past year. These changes would add more competitive diversity into the game and breathe life into it, only doing many good things for the game and its future.

But what if Roy never sees buffs?

I love the character, and even if Roy never sees improvements, I will continue to main him and push his metagame as much as I can. I would simply like to see him be a stronger character here. It gets tiring when he's been constantly berated across the past decade, only seen as a weak character by many. It seems that we only want him to be strong, that things would only be better for everyone if Roy was better. I was overjoyed in June when he was seen as a much stronger character this time around, finally getting the respect he deserves for being such a cool lord and character. He was brought back due to popular fan demand after being historically overshadowed throughout the years, and I'd like for Roy to step out of the shadows. It's truly a shame that Roy in his current state cannot meet that demand properly, and that things very likely won't change for the better unless in-game improvements happen. I don't feel that it's particularly selfish to want Roy to shine after all of these years, or to push for him to be buffed. After all, do we really want a potential repeat of what happened in Melee?

I won't have a good audio recording window like I thought for up to a week or so, so I'll just have to sit back and wait :p
The family visit I mentioned is happening this week, I figured it'd be a next week thing since I heard they'd come in Tuesday and they didn't come this Tuesday. However, this means it will be out of the way for a long time after this week, and I can buckle down on the project.

Last edited:

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just have to say that I found this post yesterday and only finished it today but...
I am very amazed and greatful for all of the work you put into it! I main Roy right now and it feels as if the chips are always against us (I've mained him for almost a year). I highly agree with the careful buffs that you have proposed giving him because they would just make him play as he was designed to. Currently, I feel little to no reward playing him, especially when my friends who shouldn't be beating me do when I use Roy. I think if these buffs happen, they'll drastically help Roy out where he really needs it.

Okay so for my contribution if it's not too late.. I feel that alot of his issues have already been addressed by you and others, but one consistently irritating thing that irks me about Roy is his throw game. Although it's true that back throw is useless and up throw is his kill throw, his actual combo throws are pretty lackluster and bad (imo) as well. I know that down throw can lead into early percent damage and maybe even stocks if they airdodge (that's only if they really mess up), but it does not do anything past low or mid percents. I think that it is a huge flaw for a character weak to shield and one who was designed for combos. Especially sincr grab is the only thing to really beat shield. Another throw that is supposed to combo is his forward throw (I prefer it). Sadly, this also does not link past mid percents since the opponent can DI away and reset neutral so easily. Although it can lead to tech chases that MAY (very hard to do consistently) kill, it isn't as reliable or easy to pull off as let's say Captain Falcon's down throw conversions (knee, up airs, down air, etc.). I think that is really dumb how a character also meant for combos fails to do so. Sure he can link maybe a neutral air or two and maybe a forward air after forward throw (if they don't DI properly), what does that really get him other than maybe getting them offstage and a tiny bit of percent at very low percentages?

A way to fix his down, forward, AND backthrow is very simple. Just either add more hitstun to them (making it do more damage would do this as would other things) or reduce the end lag on his throws. An easy way to fix his throws :)

It is not fair how other characters get to convert off of throws so consistently and easily, while Roy fails to do so past mid or even low percents to moves like Mario or Luigi's neutral air. Adding hitstun or reducing end lag on his theows would accomplish this solidly.

Lastly, I've heard many bad but true things about Roy. They can possibly be worked around, but are very crippling flaws.
People say:
He's a low percent bully - he can get damage at low percents, but past 50 or 60 there's essentially nothing he can do to rack up damage reliably. Sometimes his combos or strings stop working lower than that on certain characters.
He's a walking contradiction - he TRIES to many things but doesn't truly thrive off of any of them. For example, he has one of the fastest dash speeds, BUT he has one of if not the worst dash acceleration in the game. He has 4th best air mobility, BUT one of the worst air accelerations in the game. He wants to be a close combat fighter like Mario or Shiek or Falcon, BUT he doesn't have the frame data. He has a sword or disjoint, BUT the tip of it used to space has such little hitstun and damage that he can't even compete with swordsmen. To top it all off, he's easy combo food as well. He also wants to control the ground, BUT has a slower walk speed than Marth and Lucina who weren't meant to be as ground oriented.

Okay so another final thing that bothers me is how late his aerials kill - just try to kill someone with up air in training mode - you'll see what I mean. And when you compare it to Corrin's which has juggling properties, can kill consistently, and more range and similar speed, it's really unbalanced. Even forward air and sometimes back air fail to kill because of the sweet spot. I know he's more ground based but the percents people live up to are ridiculous. And down air should have less end lag in the air to make it a safer option to use offstage or they should increase the spike hitbox. I keep getting the sour spot and it is pitiful. It knocks the opponent up towards the ledge at such as small speed that they are above you and able to edgeguard YOU. As for up air, if they don't simply increase its knockback growth which wouls might let it juggle a bit AND kill later at high %, they should at least make it a reliable juggle tool by adding hitstun. Lastly (I know I've said it 5 dozen times but this time for real), back air and forward have sourspots that don't kill and it's dumb. At least Marth's sourspot kills even if it is harder to hit his sweetspot. And at times his forward air sweetspotted kills later than my liking and back air should sweetspot and kill but it sourspots instead.

Random comment: I rofled at the up tilt clip! What other character in the roster has that issue? I can't think of any where that's possible and the sad fact is that it happens to nearly ALL of his sourspotted moves. They need to buff sourspot damage and knockback or even hitstun because that clip is unreasonable and should NEVER happen. The fact that is does happen rather often (more often than I would like to admit) is a HUGE flaw.

I know I must seem like a Roy hater, but I am just a Roy main who just really wants to get him the buff he needs. This is a TL;DR and I'm really sorry about that but this just helped me vent his issues and maybe even make me feel like I contributed to getting him fixed up (if he does get buffed). Even if he gets no buffs, I'm really happy to see that there are other dedicated Roy mains out there now - I was wondering if I was the only one who bothered with playing him. Buffs or not, thank you for showing me that there are other Roy mains and that he isn't necesarily garbage - I was falling into that mindset (it's hard not to when everyone is insulting your main). Either way, thank you for all of the hard work you and everyone else on this thread have put in! It definitely helps our chances! And I'm sorry for the negativity and TL;DR, I was just really frustrated at everything in smash and stuff in my life and needed to vent somewhere. I totally get that you're busy, so even if you don't read this, thank you! :)

PS - if there are typos, I am on mobile, so sorry about that :/
And for all of the issues that I've mentioned that are kind of new, just show a clip of Roy off stage trying to do a down air spike, whiffing with the sourspot and SD'ing lol
And for aerial kill percents just compare and contrast in training with Marth (forward air, back air, and neutral air) or Corrin (up air) while mentioning there is no rage. To exaggerate the point further, show when his sourspot kills in the air and ground compared to Marth and his sourspot - this will even work with sweetspots. I agree with all of the issues you already addressed, so I didn't mention side b at all and stuff like that. Thanks again!

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
Jesus Christ, my post was way too long.. Sorry about that, I lost track of time and length it would take for someone to read it.. AND some of it was repeat, a good chunk actually (since I didn't finish reading part 3 until posting) >.< I'm sorry for wasting your time

Last edited:
Hey, I just have to say that I found this post yesterday and only finished it today but...
I am very amazed and greatful for all of the work you put into it! I main Roy right now and it feels as if the chips are always against us (I've mained him for almost a year). I highly agree with the careful buffs that you have proposed giving him because they would just make him play as he was designed to. Currently, I feel little to no reward playing him, especially when my friends who shouldn't be beating me do when I use Roy. I think if these buffs happen, they'll drastically help Roy out where he really needs it.

Okay so for my contribution if it's not too late.. I feel that alot of his issues have already been addressed by you and others, but one consistently irritating thing that irks me about Roy is his throw game. Although it's true that back throw is useless and up throw is his kill throw, his actual combo throws are pretty lackluster and bad (imo) as well. I know that down throw can lead into early percent damage and maybe even stocks if they airdodge (that's only if they really mess up), but it does not do anything past low or mid percents. I think that it is a huge flaw for a character weak to shield and one who was designed for combos. Especially sincr grab is the only thing to really beat shield. Another throw that is supposed to combo is his forward throw (I prefer it). Sadly, this also does not link past mid percents since the opponent can DI away and reset neutral so easily. Although it can lead to tech chases that MAY (very hard to do consistently) kill, it isn't as reliable or easy to pull off as let's say Captain Falcon's down throw conversions (knee, up airs, down air, etc.). I think that is really dumb how a character also meant for combos fails to do so. Sure he can link maybe a neutral air or two and maybe a forward air after forward throw (if they don't DI properly), what does that really get him other than maybe getting them offstage and a tiny bit of percent at very low percentages?

A way to fix his down, forward, AND backthrow is very simple. Just either add more hitstun to them (making it do more damage would do this as would other things) or reduce the end lag on his throws. An easy way to fix his throws :)

It is not fair how other characters get to convert off of throws so consistently and easily, while Roy fails to do so past mid or even low percents to moves like Mario or Luigi's neutral air. Adding hitstun or reducing end lag on his theows would accomplish this solidly.

Lastly, I've heard many bad but true things about Roy. They can possibly be worked around, but are very crippling flaws.
People say:
He's a low percent bully - he can get damage at low percents, but past 50 or 60 there's essentially nothing he can do to rack up damage reliably. Sometimes his combos or strings stop working lower than that on certain characters.
He's a walking contradiction - he TRIES to many things but doesn't truly thrive off of any of them. For example, he has one of the fastest dash speeds, BUT he has one of if not the worst dash acceleration in the game. He has 4th best air mobility, BUT one of the worst air accelerations in the game. He wants to be a close combat fighter like Mario or Shiek or Falcon, BUT he doesn't have the frame data. He has a sword or disjoint, BUT the tip of it used to space has such little hitstun and damage that he can't even compete with swordsmen. To top it all off, he's easy combo food as well. He also wants to control the ground, BUT has a slower walk speed than Marth and Lucina who weren't meant to be as ground oriented.

Okay so another final thing that bothers me is how late his aerials kill - just try to kill someone with up air in training mode - you'll see what I mean. And when you compare it to Corrin's which has juggling properties, can kill consistently, and more range and similar speed, it's really unbalanced. Even forward air and sometimes back air fail to kill because of the sweet spot. I know he's more ground based but the percents people live up to are ridiculous. And down air should have less end lag in the air to make it a safer option to use offstage or they should increase the spike hitbox. I keep getting the sour spot and it is pitiful. It knocks the opponent up towards the ledge at such as small speed that they are above you and able to edgeguard YOU. As for up air, if they don't simply increase its knockback growth which wouls might let it juggle a bit AND kill later at high %, they should at least make it a reliable juggle tool by adding hitstun. Lastly (I know I've said it 5 dozen times but this time for real), back air and forward have sourspots that don't kill and it's dumb. At least Marth's sourspot kills even if it is harder to hit his sweetspot. And at times his forward air sweetspotted kills later than my liking and back air should sweetspot and kill but it sourspots instead.

Random comment: I rofled at the up tilt clip! What other character in the roster has that issue? I can't think of any where that's possible and the sad fact is that it happens to nearly ALL of his sourspotted moves. They need to buff sourspot damage and knockback or even hitstun because that clip is unreasonable and should NEVER happen. The fact that is does happen rather often (more often than I would like to admit) is a HUGE flaw.

I know I must seem like a Roy hater, but I am just a Roy main who just really wants to get him the buff he needs. This is a TL;DR and I'm really sorry about that but this just helped me vent his issues and maybe even make me feel like I contributed to getting him fixed up (if he does get buffed). Even if he gets no buffs, I'm really happy to see that there are other dedicated Roy mains out there now - I was wondering if I was the only one who bothered with playing him. Buffs or not, thank you for showing me that there are other Roy mains and that he isn't necesarily garbage - I was falling into that mindset (it's hard not to when everyone is insulting your main). Either way, thank you for all of the hard work you and everyone else on this thread have put in! It definitely helps our chances! And I'm sorry for the negativity and TL;DR, I was just really frustrated at everything in smash and stuff in my life and needed to vent somewhere. I totally get that you're busy, so even if you don't read this, thank you! :)

PS - if there are typos, I am on mobile, so sorry about that :/
And for all of the issues that I've mentioned that are kind of new, just show a clip of Roy off stage trying to do a down air spike, whiffing with the sourspot and SD'ing lol
And for aerial kill percents just compare and contrast in training with Marth (forward air, back air, and neutral air) or Corrin (up air) while mentioning there is no rage. To exaggerate the point further, show when his sourspot kills in the air and ground compared to Marth and his sourspot - this will even work with sweetspots. I agree with all of the issues you already addressed, so I didn't mention side b at all and stuff like that. Thanks again!
It's fine, I actually prefer well thought-out posts with a lot of meaning and information over brief ones, so I enjoyed reading this.

You don't come off as a Roy hater or detractor, I think we all criticize him because we simply want our character to be better, not because we hate him.

As for throws, hitstun and adjusted angles are mentioned, but less endlag on throws is a major thing I didn't think of. Adding in how other characters easily and consistently convert with throws will help me appeal for throw buffs. Also, I didn't think of dash acceleration, which I should really implement, and Marth/Lucina's walk speed, which I'll also add something brief for.

Up air actually isn't viable as a kill move until Sudden Death, and I think that's terrible balance. I really should use footage for when aerials kill compared to Marth and Corrin, I didn't think about using footage for direct comparisons for KO's much.

This will help me refine the script further and deliver a better video. Thank you. I'm still waiting on a recording window, this family visit feels like it's going to last forever and I just want a good recording window or two to make my next step of progress.

If you ever do feel alone, I could direct you to a few places with a good handful of other Roy mains who are willing to develop and discuss.

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
It's fine, I actually prefer well thought-out posts with a lot of meaning and information over brief ones, so I enjoyed reading this.

You don't come off as a Roy hater or detractor, I think we all criticize him because we simply want our character to be better, not because we hate him.

As for throws, hitstun and adjusted angles are mentioned, but less endlag on throws is a major thing I didn't think of. Adding in how other characters easily and consistently convert with throws will help me appeal for throw buffs. Also, I didn't think of dash acceleration, which I should really implement, and Marth/Lucina's walk speed, which I'll also add something brief for.

Up air actually isn't viable as a kill move until Sudden Death, and I think that's terrible balance. I really should use footage for when aerials kill compared to Marth and Corrin, I didn't think about using footage for direct comparisons for KO's much.

This will help me refine the script further and deliver a better video. Thank you. I'm still waiting on a recording window, this family visit feels like it's going to last forever and I just want a good recording window or two to make my next step of progress.

If you ever do feel alone, I could direct you to a few places with a good handful of other Roy mains who are willing to develop and discuss.
Thanks for all of the praise haha :D I'm glad that I could help you in whatever way I did

I probably would've stayed quiet with my opinions on Roy tbh until I realized that you were the guy on youtube that posted that whole Roy playlist and the Double Dairius footstool combo setup. So much dedication shown, so I decided that it was only right that I try to help however I could

I don't think that I helped much, but thanks for the praise anyways :) I'm looking forward to that video - I'm sure that it'll be a solid product from you! Be sure to spend some quality time with your family because they won't be there forever. Family first, Roy can wait a bit haha

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been so active recently and I dont have means of recording but I found an instance of up smash not linking properly. https://youtu.be/0MNOL7s7xX4?t=418 Up smash at 6:58 under the platform.

Also I know there are a few instances where using Up b on an opponent already in the air just pop out after one or two hits, I can maybe help you get some footage of this on wifi if you are ever available. Also a few instances of side b not linking properly.
If not there might already be footage somewhere I just have to find it.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I think instead of making Uair a kill move it would be better if Roy could get kill confirms off sweetspot Uair at high percents. Uair > Bair is a reliable setup but past 100% it becomes hard to connect. Give Roy's Fair/Bair better kill power, that way Jab > Fair/Bair or Uair > Bair become much scarier setups.

I personally don't think Roy needs a massive overhaul to become decent, giving him the 1.1.4 Marth treatment (Damage buffs, slight tweaks) would make me satisfied.

Last edited:
Bad news, I suppose:

I'm probably going to abandon the project aiming to get him buffed. It's not worth my time. If someone wants to pick up my script and footage so far, they can. I can direct them to footage if they need it. I'd rather work on resources we actually need and things that will help optimize the character. We have a severe lack of optimization on many things, on top of no stage guides or counterpicking info, no guides outside of summer hype or people who try to get guides out on every single character such as Jtails and JoeKing, etc. We don't have proper resources from dedicated Roys, we don't have any Roys who are close to optimized, and we spend too much time formulating buffs or ways to make them more likely. We need to become more knowledgeable on the character so we can make these informed resources, and we need to put in the effort to optimize our character if the meta is going to be a constant topic we always **** around about and never put constructive effort into.

There's a reason Ike is good. He has stage info, counterpick info, tons of labbing videos, dedicated professionals who constantly put out content, and people who push unorthodox things such as back throw and footstooling. It's easy to look into and learn Ike because of the community's resources, and there's many things to push him with. What does Roy have?

We need to stop talking about how Roy is so outclassed by Ike or Cloud or Corrin or whoever, and the whole woe is me victim attitude with needing buffs and being low in the eyes of others, and start working on tech chasing, throw 50/50's, mobility options, matchup info, stage info, optimizing things such as our combo throws, and making everything in our play count.

I think we should advance his meta instead of waiting for it to happen, and contribute more socially to make this a proper social thread. Tbh I've been one of the laziest when it comes to optimizing. There's a lot more I want to rant on, but I'd like to start here.

My words aren't going to mean much until I get that throw video out, but I'm seriously irritated with how slowly we're progressing, and a lot of it's my fault. I'm not going to let this character remain meme status with "Roy's our boy" or "t3h phire" or "hehe he shares a name with Roy koopa look at my comedic genius" or "Fire Marth" forever. Even if nothing happens, I'm at least going to put my weight into advancing the character.

There may be a patch today. Depending on Roy's changes (or lack of them), I'll sit back and see what happens. If he gets buffs that matters and helps his gameplan, hopefully I won't need the project. Otherwise, I'm indecisive about what I want to do. We need a lot of meta resources that we lack, and I'd feel bad trying to play victim rather than developing meta resources. So I'll think about how to approach this the next few days, and hopefully come to a better conclusion that can still aim for Roy buffs. I want Roy to get buffed, but I also feel like the community isn't willing to develop the resources or develop the character, so I'm a bit irritated and indecisive, and I feel the need to prioritize those resources instead of this. Both feel like they have this annoying timer on them to get done asap. But it'd just be throwing all of this work away and getting the hopes of others up for nothing.

Last edited:

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
There may be a patch today. Depending on Roy's changes (or lack of them), I'll sit back and see what happens. If he gets buffs that matters and helps his gameplan, hopefully I won't need the project. Otherwise, I'm indecisive about what I want to do. We need a lot of meta resources that we lack, and I'd feel bad trying to play victim rather than developing meta resources. So I'll think about how to approach this the next few days, and hopefully come to a better conclusion that can still aim for Roy buffs. I want Roy to get buffed, but I also feel like the community isn't willing to develop the resources or develop the character, so I'm a bit irritated and indecisive, and I feel the need to prioritize those resources instead of this. Both feel like they have this annoying timer on them to get done asap. But it'd just be throwing all of this work away and getting the hopes of others up for nothing.
Uhhh, I'll make this really quick because I do not have much time to reply at the moment..
I really get what you are saying about developing Roy's metagame, but the thing is that we Roy mains can do that at any time in Smash 4's life cycle. On the other hand, we do not have any idea how much longer we will be getting patches for this game, or if we will even get any more patches at all from even now. I think that both of these are big priorities but that the chance for buffs is a much more urgent one currently. After the (potential) video is made, we Roy mains have all of the time in the world to work on developing his meta. I am also sort of unsure on where to go at the moment, but I think the buff video (it may not even be seen or accomplish anything) should come first. But you are definitely right - Roy mains need resources and stuff to collaborate on or work on so that Roy's meta can actually improve. That's something I noticed with Ike and Marth and Robin as opposed to Roy immediately.

Uhhh, I'll make this really quick because I do not have much time to reply at the moment..
I really get what you are saying about developing Roy's metagame, but the thing is that we Roy mains can do that at any time in Smash 4's life cycle. On the other hand, we do not have any idea how much longer we will be getting patches for this game, or if we will even get any more patches at all from even now. I think that both of these are big priorities but that the chance for buffs is a much more urgent one currently. After the (potential) video is made, we Roy mains have all of the time in the world to work on developing his meta. I am also sort of unsure on where to go at the moment, but I think the buff video (it may not even be seen or accomplish anything) should come first. But you are definitely right - Roy mains need resources and stuff to collaborate on or work on so that Roy's meta can actually improve. That's something I noticed with Ike and Marth and Robin as opposed to Roy immediately.
I came more to my senses when a recording window popped up. I was able to get parts 1 and 2 read and recorded before it ended, so now I'll need to do audio editing on both.

There's a really whiny, annoying dog in the background for now that I couldn't get to quiet down, so I hope he doesn't show up in the recordings.

If so, I'll see what I can do to cut out any unnecessary noise or barks, and I wouldn't mind a re-do.

Part 2 audio is done and edited:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukac5gtm0fw66nj/part 2.wav?dl=0

I'll start video editing for parts 1&2 soon. Part 1 should be easy at 5:30 or so, part 2 will take a while since it's 10 minutes I need footage for.

Hopefully I get a recording window for part 3 soon. If I don't have video editing started for 2 by then, I'll see if I can re-do it, since I can definitely do better there.

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
Part 2 audio is done and edited:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukac5gtm0fw66nj/part 2.wav?dl=0

I'll start video editing for parts 1&2 soon. Part 1 should be easy at 5:30 or so, part 2 will take a while since it's 10 minutes I need footage for.

Hopefully I get a recording window for part 3 soon. If I don't have video editing started for 2 by then, I'll see if I can re-do it, since I can definitely do better there.
Whatever the product is, I'm sure that it'll be great since you've worked so hard on this project and Roy in general! :D I know that there is A LOT of stuff to cover, but if possible, I would suggest that you try to condense it as much as you can - I definitely know what it's like to make a TL;DR that fewer people pay attention to because it's long haha

Whatever the product is, I'm sure that it'll be great since you've worked so hard on this project and Roy in general! :D I know that there is A LOT of stuff to cover, but if possible, I would suggest that you try to condense it as much as you can - I definitely know what it's like to make a TL;DR that fewer people pay attention to because it's long haha
That's actually a really good idea. I'm thinking about how to condense or even make a TL;DR on the final project, but I don't know if I can condense the full scope and everything I'd like to cover below 20 minutes.
I might make a separate TLDR video that's only a few minutes long at most as a compromise, I can link it in the final video or videos depending on if I decide to segment it.

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
That's actually a really good idea. I'm thinking about how to condense or even make a TL;DR on the final project, but I don't know if I can condense the full scope and everything I'd like to cover below 20 minutes.
I might make a separate TLDR video that's only a few minutes long at most as a compromise, I can link it in the final video or videos depending on if I decide to segment it.
Sounds like a plan! I would just keep in mind when making it that it should be easily appealing for people to watch because when I'm going through Youtube, I might not click on a video in my free time if it's too long in one video or if it has too many parts (I would try to shoot for 3 short/medium length parts of equal length max and maybe one TL;DR for all parts).

I would also maybe post it on multiple places, not just Youtube or smashboards. Maybe Youtube, Smashboards, Smash Amino, etc.

sorry for all of the suggestions (I should just let you do your thing, since you're doing great thus far) lol you don't have to do them, but it's just my input on everything

Sounds like a plan! I would just keep in mind when making it that it should be easily appealing for people to watch because when I'm going through Youtube, I might not click on a video in my free time if it's too long in one video or if it has too many parts (I would try to shoot for 3 short/medium length parts of equal length max and maybe one TL;DR for all parts).

I would also maybe post it on multiple places, not just Youtube or smashboards. Maybe Youtube, Smashboards, Smash Amino, etc.

sorry for all of the suggestions (I should just let you do your thing, since you're doing great thus far) lol you don't have to do them, but it's just my input on everything
You don't have to apologize, these are pretty good ideas and I know I won't exactly get views if there's no short way to digest it all. It was a blind spot I didn't account for until you brought it up, so you ultimately helped the project quite a bit.

I can definitely advertise in Facebook Smash groups, on Reddit, on Miiverse, maybe send it through PMs to a few folks on Discord, and a handful of boards here. I can't think of much else, sadly, but maybe at work, I'll sit down and start writing down every place I could advertise to make sure I miss nothing.

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
You don't have to apologize, these are pretty good ideas and I know I won't exactly get views if there's no short way to digest it all. It was a blind spot I didn't account for until you brought it up, so you ultimately helped the project quite a bit.

I can definitely advertise in Facebook Smash groups, on Reddit, on Miiverse, maybe send it through PMs to a few folks on Discord, and a handful of boards here. I can't think of much else, sadly, but maybe at work, I'll sit down and start writing down every place I could advertise to make sure I miss nothing.
thanks, you give me too much credit lol

You've helped me (and other Roy mains, I'm sure) with learning how to get better with a deceivingly hard to use character with that gigantic Youtube playlist/new tech and other resources like that - thanks for being awesome with Roy's meta and this video without dragging him down/calling him terrible.. sadly, I might have kept that mindset had it not been for this page. If you need help with feedback or something, ask on this page and I'm sure people and I will be willing to help you out :)

-Rise-

Smash Rookie
I'm sure that most of you have heard already, but patch 1.1.6 is confirmed to be coming out this month in May! It is confirmed to be a balance patch that is 65 MB on Wii U, which means that quite a few characters or changes will be made to others than Bayonetta.

Let's hope Roy gets his buffs (buffs that actually matter and address his key issues like we have), but even if he doesn't, let's move his metagame forward together! :D

I was just trying to give you a heads up on the video and that you may not want to post it until after the patch lands this month and edit the video accordingly (they said sometime soon this month so I'm thinking next Tuesday -May 24th- since they do a lot of stuff on Tuesdays for smash). I hope this date comes soon, so it can mix up the meta some more lol

Top Bottom