• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick easy tips to improve your ness!

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
There isn't too much information on this forum, so i am going to add some quick tips of mine to help you beginners :p. Please add your own!

1) Look for gimp kills with pkthunder2 at 45+%. Swirl it around and confuse opponent then kill them.

2) Go for spikes when opponent is off the level, unless they are at high damage and you can kill them with a different aerial. Even at 0%, you can often kill them, and pretty much win the match right there.

3) Save your backthrow's power. At 130+% it is a guaranteed kill move on normal levels. At 100-130% you can kill with it if you are in the right position on the stage. Don't waste the throws power when it isn't going to kill your opponent.

4) Don't be afraid to use your psi magnet when recovering, it will save you from energy type projectile edgeguards, and you will still easily get back to the level.

Hope this helps!

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Good tips. I also would say "Use the YoYo, they fixed it." It isn't the SSB Yoyo, but it is quite good unlike the SSBM yoyo.

ggPeteQ

Smash Journeyman
Fair is a bad approach option? I find that extremely hard to believe. It's been pretty much my main form of approach and the reduced knock back has actually worked in my favor.

I once triple fair'ed an Ike off stage for a kill. The reduced knock back allowed him to stay close and not have time to recover.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is in the air Fair can work pretty well, but when they are shielded on the ground it has been working pretty badly for me. But hey if your having success with it then keep doing it

Ademisk

Smash Champion
For proper use of the Fair, you have to DI it back and forwards. If they're shielding especially, DI it into their shield, then DI it out of their range before you reach the ground. Then do something like rush grab or PK Fire or another fair, or a bair.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Do you maintain forward aerial momentum when performing PSI Magnet?

Also, that was a very fancy sentence.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Do you maintain forward aerial momentum when performing PSI Magnet?

Also, that was a very fancy sentence.
Welcome to the average level of intelligence. We've been waiting for you.

Nope, it's stopped me in my tracks in my experience, it can be used on occassion for mindgames. Creativity makes this move.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Wow. Annoying, pretty sure you just owned. Hahaha, jk jk. Yes, you maintain SOME forward momentum. Let's say you maintain more horizontal momentum than you do vertical momentum. Therefore it's SLIGHTLY useful for recovery.

maskeXD

Smash Apprentice
I use psi magnet to throw off my opponents when they're juggling me.
I kinda like it... but I'm still sticking to my new spamming dair... Dair is the new George Foreman Grill, used for everything!

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Be careful with it. If you land in a bad position, you're punishable. Best advice is to aim to an opponent's back, even if they shield, you're fairly safe. If you land in front of them, expect the ultimate punishment.

And N.OW, I mean it, take # 4 off there, someone's going to take it seriously. You may not agree that it's as useful as it is, but you have to admit it's not as horrible as you say up there.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I use PSI magnet to stop juggling... PKT juggling that is.

Its only fun when you do it yourself, but when people do it to you :mad:

maskeXD

Smash Apprentice
I use PSI magnet to stop juggling... PKT juggling that is.

Its only fun when you do it yourself, but when people do it to you :mad:
HAHAHAHAHA! So true...

Man, I haven't played a single decent Brawl, I mean, my friend sucks and hin internet is laggy...

Oh, and have someone reallized that Ness is a PT edgeguarding killer? Ivysaur is easy and if it uses Razor leaf just throw it back. Squirtle's Up+B just protects his front and below, so dair over him. Charizard is just got two glides and they can be easilly nullfied with PKT(only few Charizards survived this at high percentages).:chuckle:

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Ness is an everyone edgeguarding killer. Protip, hang your yoyo off the edge against people either trying to recover, or trying to get up onto the stage from the ledge. You 100% cannot get on the stage from the ledge with a yoyo hanging there. And I've killed people trying to recover with this too. They can potentially out sweetspot it, but if they miss the sweetspot, say hello to Mr. Yoyo.

Mushy

Smash Cadet
Wasn't there an entire thread saying that the yoyo no longer was an edgeguard?
I've gotten it to work once or twice I think...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
It isn't an edgeguard in that it won't kill. What it will do is pop people up, or pop them slightly down, and surprise them, giving you an opportunity to do something. It's 100% assured damage against people on the ledge, and pops them up for another possible attack, that's SOMETHING.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is in the air Fair can work pretty well, but when they are shielded on the ground it has been working pretty badly for me.
i'm pretty sure that this is true for at least a majority of aerials in brawl with the reduced hit/shield stun. fair still has kickass priority and range, while ness's other aerials lack one or the other.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Ness is an everyone edgeguarding killer. Protip, hang your yoyo off the edge against people either trying to recover, or trying to get up onto the stage from the ledge. You 100% cannot get on the stage from the ledge with a yoyo hanging there. And I've killed people trying to recover with this too. They can potentially out sweetspot it, but if they miss the sweetspot, say hello to Mr. Yoyo.
I'm having trouble doing this. I cannot charge my yoyo beside ledges - the game rpevents me from doing it. I have to move away from the ledge in order to be able to charge it.

Conda

Ah, thanks I'll try it now.
Well look at that, it works. You don't have to jump cancel, just run and start charging your upsmash.
Too bad you cannot do it with the dsmash. :p

Conda

You gotta be really accurate with the yoyo sleeper edgeguarding cause it only stays there for two seconds. If the enemy hasn't reached the edge yet, you gotta roll back and dash back into the upsmash.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Without JCing usmashes, I cant do one out of shield without having to release the shiled button first.

Conda

Why are you shielding?
If they are off the ledge, just run up to the ledge and, before you reach it, start charging your usmash. You'll slide to the edge of the stage and the yoyo will hang off of the edge.
Nothing complicated.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Im not saying I need the shield for that, I need it so that when someone hits me in my shield, I can counter with an usmash.

S

sn1per13

Is there a proper time and place for PK Fire combos? Does PK Fire make a good edgeguard?

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I don't use yoyo as much as I probably should. I use fair 90% of my game. It pretty much works for anything if used correctly.

Fair,PKF, PKT, PKT2 makes Dias happy. :)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Is there a proper time and place for PK Fire combos? Does PK Fire make a good edgeguard?
PK Fire makes a good lag punisher. It moves fast and seems to get right in right after those long duration moves end that you are too afraid to dash into.

It also makes a good anti combo and edgeguard maneuver. Whenver you are thrown, fireslide backwards and stop them from coming up to you and comboing you. When coming down from an edgeguard and you see someone coming up to you to hit you with an aerial, PK Fire them on the way down. It works like magic.

PK Fire is also great for surprises. Whenever you approach an enemy (or he approaches you) while you are airborne, a diagonal PK Fire down at his face usually works.

My favorite use of PK Fire is on the ledge. B-stick a PK Fire there like this:
While haging, jump off the edge. Hold forward as you jump and right when you can attack, b-stick PK Fire. It shoots PK Fire down at the stage easialy hitting edgeguarders a few feet back from it and puts Ness back on the edge for safety.

I myself dont use PK Fire much for edgeguarding though.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
Yeah pkfire works really good as defense when coming back to the level, just like earthbound says. I use it in the same ways. It could work as an edgeguard but it is usually risky and difficult to make work. However, if you hit with it just right on certain characters like space animals you can actually get some funny kills.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
well some people when the hang on the edge can get hit by pk fire.... Like wolf. Try it out in training mode and then u'll understand. I discovered this in a real match too so it's totally applicable. ^_^

Top Bottom