• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Combo: Spring Kick

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I apologise for the name, but it's the only one I could think of. I have no doubt folks have already encountered this (I have seen Dapufster to something similar) but thought I'd make a post to quantify it and maybe see if others would be able to utilise or improve upon it.

This is a combo that can work for a Mii Brawler regardless of their special moves that they had selected, and can provide some decent damage, depending on your opponent. It's also hard to escape, making it a kind of chain-grab (though after a certain amount of percent, it will launch your target too far for the combo to reliably be continued.) This is an early game combo, capable of racking up 60% or so damage within a matter of seconds if allow to be carried out to the end.

Testing this against some level 9 CPUs has granted some level of success, though the success of the attacks are largely based on their hitboxes and animation speeds (Out of Link, Captain Falcon and Fox, Fox had a far easier time of escaping the cycle and dodging out the way, with Link and Falcon being almost equally vulnerable, though Falcon had an easier time of getting free.)

The combo is as simple as a Down Throw into a short hop and then Fair. At a low enough percent, the two of you will land about the same time with you landing first, allowing for another grab, allowing you to repeat the process.

On most lighter characters, you'll likely get them with this three times before they are thrown into the air too far for you to short hop and still hit them, however, three is all you need. Of course, you'll be aware that there's only so much room on a platform for you to move, and Final Destination style stages will mean that when you hop into the air for your third attack, you and your target will likely be over the edge of the stage. Here, you would have gotten your target to about 40% or so, and your combo can then open up into different paths:

Either, you can rise to meet them and then deliver any standard attack of your choice to launch them sideways

Or you can hop up just above them and attempt to smack them downwards with a Dair. The damage might be high enough for some decent distance, but probably not a strict kill, and you can potentially work some edge guarding combos into it.

Since I can't seem to do meteor attacks without me killing myself most of the time, I typically end the string with a helicopter kick, which results in the 60%

As said, I have seen others do something similar, such as fair, to second jump to fair again, but through testing I have found that on an Average Mii, the lag upon landing such a move like this is relatively quick, so much so that my personal Mii (which is slightly slower than average) can get this sort of thing going rather quickly.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
So what you're saying is that Mii Brawler has a sort-of-chaingrab? Or at least, a grab string that's reliable?

@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster what do you think? As if :4miibrawl: needed something like this, haha.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
So what you're saying is that Mii Brawler has a sort-of-chaingrab? Or at least, a grab string that's reliable?

@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster what do you think? As if :4miibrawl: needed something like this, haha.
Something like that. I wouldn't say it's as reliable as Sheiks or Luigi's pseudo-chains, but it's something

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've done this before, it works on people who don't have a fast enough jab, but thats pretty rare. Otherwise they can nair or jab before you can grab them again, only seems to work at 0% but no more after that.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I've done this before, it works on people who don't have a fast enough jab, but thats pretty rare. Otherwise they can nair or jab before you can grab them again, only seems to work at 0% but no more after that.
That seems about right.

Top Bottom