• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Attack Edgehog

Volt Tackle

Smash Cadet
To me, this technique is the epitome of style. And being as stylish as I am, I try to incorporate it into my game as much as possible.

Is this technique considered useful? I haven't seen it used at all outside of N64's combo vid. Is it more effective than just wavedashing onto the ledge?

How many of you actually use quick attack to grab the edge instead of the standard backwards wd?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
There are disadvantages and advantages to using it. Think of it this way, you get points for being awesome and flashy, but at the same time you have a huge risk of missing the edge, because I've noticed you do it sometimes when you attempt it, eh?

Then there's the more sophisticated yet unnecessary use of it, which would be to attack from the edge. Say your opponent is standing a few inches away from the edge, just within range of your quick attack. You quick attack to the edge, going through your opponent and delivering stun, in which time you can easily grab the edge and ledge-hop back up with an aerial.

Just throwing that out there.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
FastFox speaks the truth on that one.

You can do it as a retreat, mindgame tactic as well. You can use it so you can get to the ledge faster than just wavedashing especially when you knock your opponent off the stage, that way you can prepare yourself to do whatever from the ledge. Depending on how close they are to the ledge, you can quick-attack to ledge-ledge cancel-into an aerial attack to knock them back more.

But basically you get flashy points for using it as a edgehog technique and you look **** cool doing it.

N64

Smash Champion
It's useful if you're fairly far from the edge and need to get there quickly, as otherwise you'd have to run to the edge, turn around, and then wd backwards onto it, which takes a little longer. It can also be useful in faking out an opponent by staying a little back from the edge when they're recovering so that they expect you to fsmash or otherwise edgeguard them. They'll position themselves for a sweetspot in this case, and you can just quickattack to the ledge and beat them to it for a ledgehog. Just make sure you don't wait too long and get edgehogged yourself.

Definate style points though.

Anther

Smash Champion
It's extremely useful for me as a retreating technique, especially against people/characters that you get more of an advantage being close to the ledge as opposed to midstage.

Once I started doing it it really opened my eyes to how awesome Pikachu's recovery is, realizing that he can insta-sweetspot or land far above the stage from almost anywhere. (Unless you're facing marth cause he single handedly ruins smash XD ).

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Here's where I noob this thread. I saw this on N-64's Combo video, (electric shuffle), and I was like wow, that's pretty hawt. I like to consider myself a really technical player, but I simply don't know how to do it... is there a special trick to doing it? I have a GC, but I left it a friends like a month ago, so the only time I play is with others. And I don't want to be appear a fool or shame the good Pikachu name.

IS THERE A TRICK? Or is it just human haxx?

Anther

Smash Champion
The trick is simply know the timing of Quick attack, and be able to not be pressing down at all on the Joystick when he's passing the ledge...
Pika has a lot of leeway when it comes to gripping the edge at a diagnal angle... and it helps if you jump a lil bit before you do it like I do in this video.. it gives you an extra couple frames to move the joystick back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWWp6QIxno
Course, you're probably gonna kill yourself a lot when you're first trying to get it down.. so you're gonna shame the Good pika name regardless ;P.

Otherwise.. whatcha see is whatcha get.

Tera253

Smash Ace
that samething happens when you're first learning to wavedash-edge hog. trust Tera here, she knows.
~Tera253~

Top Bottom