• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick attack change on platforms.

RODO

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWCH8T5zf_8

As you can see in the first half of the video you interact with the platform differently. You kind of slide off and dip down, and the angle you cancel with is much more forgiving. In the second half this is not the case making some angles much harder to pull off than before. Again, it's still there but not the same as before. Make sure to practice your new angles. I have found that if you start your QA from slightly further away you get the same results as before.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
i don't get why the hell they would do that to QA? Like is this a nerf or something or some douchey way to throw pikachus off for the next month

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
It's because you interact with platforms/ledges differently. My friend can't thunder slide off of platforms as ness anymore either. Thankfully it's not completely gone for us just harder (unless you are Esam)

dettadeus

Smash Lord
K, I think I figured out the change. I had this neat trick on Battlefield platforms where, at the very edge of one of the floating platforms, you could quick attack down + direction of the other side of the platform (like have your control stick exactly in one of the lower left/right corners) and edge cancel flawlessly. Now that trick doesn't work unless you hold just slightly further down from the corner; you have to go a slightly shorter distance with the quick attack to get the same cancel.
You're now edge cancelling ONLY the little hop/jiggle Pikachu does at the end of Quick Attack, rather than most parts of the dash. Meaning you have to aim slightly further towards the center of any platform than you used to, or you have to start your quick attack a bit further away from the platform (depending on how the particular angle cancelled before).

RODO

Smash Ace
K, I think I figured out the change. I had this neat trick on Battlefield platforms where, at the very edge of one of the floating platforms, you could quick attack down + direction of the other side of the platform (like have your control stick exactly in one of the lower left/right corners) and edge cancel flawlessly. Now that trick doesn't work unless you hold just slightly further down from the corner; you have to go a slightly shorter distance with the quick attack to get the same cancel.
You're now edge cancelling ONLY the little hop/jiggle Pikachu does at the end of Quick Attack, rather than most parts of the dash. Meaning you have to aim slightly further towards the center of any platform than you used to, or you have to start your quick attack a bit further away from the platform (depending on how the particular angle cancelled before).
That's odd I feel like I have to start from a further distance to cancel now. I'll check it out.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I think you're right. So basically no more sliding on platforms to get easy cancels, we have to be even more precise and aim for the exact edge of the platforms, right?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I think you're right. So basically no more sliding on platforms to get easy cancels, we have to be even more precise and aim for the exact edge of the platforms, right?
You're essentially aiming for just in front of the edge of the platform, leaving room to slide off during the following animation.

That's odd I feel like I have to start from a further distance to cancel now. I'll check it out.
That's... what I said lol. Assuming the same inputs with different spacing, you have to space yourself a tiny bit further back from where you used to be able to do most edge cancels, or change the angle slightly so you're angled further down into the platform (neither solution should work 100% of the time, I'd bet).

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
So... this is both a nerf and a buff I guess? Since Pikachu doesn't dip down anymore that means we can hit people on platforms better if we cancel right, but its a nerf because were gonna have to be a lot more precise.

D

Deleted member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWCH8T5zf_8

As you can see in the first half of the video you interact with the platform differently. You kind of slide off and dip down, and the angle you cancel with is much more forgiving. In the second half this is not the case making some angles much harder to pull off than before. Again, it's still there but not the same as before. Make sure to practice your new angles. I have found that if you start your QA from slightly further away you get the same results as before.
Have you found that you have to make the angles more harsher vertically? It looks that way in your video and when I was practicing earlier, that's the angle that I was having more success with.

Edit: Never mind I read the rest of the posts, page didn't refresh them for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

RODO

Smash Ace
So... this is both a nerf and a buff I guess? Since Pikachu doesn't dip down anymore that means we can hit people on platforms better if we cancel right, but its a nerf because were gonna have to be a lot more precise.
Esam said that QAC is buffed on slopes so it's not all bad

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Is the way you interact with the platform what changed? I think it may be how much you slide.

I was in training mode just now and I was trying to figure out what angles work in order to get the QAC. So, to make things simple, I just got on a platform on battlefield and rolled to the very edge so I could make sure I was riding the entire platform when I used QA. So just imagine you're on the left platform of Battlefield and you're as far left as you can go while still standing on that platform. To QAC, well you guys know how to do it, you just QA into the ground. That means that you can try three angles. With the orientation I specified earlier, the angles you can try are 300, 315, and 330 degrees. Surprisingly, only one of those worked. It was the 300 degree angle, the one that moves you the shortest horizontal distance when used into the ground.

Now this is significant because, like I already said, I was using the entire length of the platform and yet the only angle that worked was the one that moved me the shortest distance. But, if I recall correctly, in the past, the 315 degree angle would have worked in this situation and the 300 degree angle would have worked as well if I had taken a few steps forward. That's IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, HOWEVER. So I'm sorry if I'm just imagining things and I wasted your time here. I'm just typing my thoughts into this comment as I try to make sense of this whole "QAC requires more precision now" fiasco.

In conclusion, what I'm saying here is that perhaps QA slides more when used on the ground. An alternate hypothesis that I'd also like to mention is that the set distance you must slide along the ground before going off an edge in order QAC has been increased, an consequently we must now aim our QAs closer to the center of the platforms where we want to QAC and further from the actual edge. This, of course, seems more plausible.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Is the way you interact with the platform what changed? I think it may be how much you slide.

I was in training mode just now and I was trying to figure out what angles work in order to get the QAC. So, to make things simple, I just got on a platform on battlefield and rolled to the very edge so I could make sure I was riding the entire platform when I used QA. So just imagine you're on the left platform of Battlefield and you're as far left as you can go while still standing on that platform. To QAC, well you guys know how to do it, you just QA into the ground. That means that you can try three angles. With the orientation I specified earlier, the angles you can try are 300, 315, and 330 degrees. Surprisingly, only one of those worked. It was the 300 degree angle, the one that moves you the shortest horizontal distance when used into the ground.

Now this is significant because, like I already said, I was using the entire length of the platform and yet the only angle that worked was the one that moved me the shortest distance. But, if I recall correctly, in the past, the 315 degree angle would have worked in this situation and the 300 degree angle would have worked as well if I had taken a few steps forward. That's IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, HOWEVER. So I'm sorry if I'm just imagining things and I wasted your time here. I'm just typing my thoughts into this comment as I try to make sense of this whole "QAC requires more precision now" fiasco.

In conclusion, what I'm saying here is that perhaps QA slides more when used on the ground. An alternate hypothesis that I'd also like to mention is that the set distance you must slide along the ground before going off an edge in order QAC has been increased, an consequently we must now aim our QAs closer to the center of the platforms where we want to QAC and further from the actual edge. This, of course, seems more plausible.

I tried this, and while I don't really understand your 300 angles stuff, I could understand enough to know what you were talking about. Yeah, thats really cool! He does slide AND manage to cancel if you angle it a bit towards the ground, and it actually seems really useful and good, since you could use your QA to get to the other side of the platform, or maybe quick attack to a platform, and use the second QA to QA Slide Edge Cancel into a nair. I know this was already there before the patch, but I think this is a semi- buff. The new Not dipped QA cancel Hits people on platforms a lot better and still drops down. I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to think positively. But my best advice to you is to adapt, and practice this new QA. I really thought this would be terrible, but it's not so bad.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
i don't get why the hell they would do that to QA? Like is this a nerf or something or some douchey way to throw pikachus off for the next month
Be grateful we didn't take a really bad hit with this patch.

busken

Smash Ace
So this is not bad right? To be honest, I barely use QA cancels in my game so Idk really know...
Any other changes...?

Last edited:

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I'm still unsure about what changed. Some people say our QA angles have changed and that is what is throwing me off but im 99% that isn't true. It's the new edge mechanic right? What I think happened is that you cant slide on a platform with QA to get an easy edge cancel anymore.

busken

Smash Ace
I'm still unsure about what changed. Some people say our QA angles have changed and that is what is throwing me off but im 99% that isn't true. It's the new edge mechanic right? What I think happened is that you cant slide on a platform with QA to get an easy edge cancel anymore.
If so that would be really detrimental to pikachu's edge guarding game; the core of his success.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
If so that would be really detrimental to pikachu's edge guarding game; the core of his success.
My bad, kind of, I figured it out, and what i said is a part of it. dettadeus dettadeus had it it right. Basically you can no longer cancel halfway through Pika's QA. This applies to sliding off a platform, if you try and QA onto a platform and slide on it to get the cancel. it will usually not work because you must touch the edge of the platform with the end of your QA, and if you slide this may not happen. However, sometimes you can slide on a platform and still get the cancel by having the end of QA touch the edge of the platform. I guess this is something we must practice.

Yeah, this is a nerf, not a buff I guess

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
This is super annoying. I SD'd like 20 times today due to this.

Thor

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure this is purely an engine change [the same reason Falcons can do that dash grab -> fall off and footstool or dair you] and not actually altering Pikachu's Quick Attack directly.

We got off easy considering how good Pikachu is.

busken

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure this is purely an engine change [the same reason Falcons can do that dash grab -> fall off and footstool or dair you] and not actually altering Pikachu's Quick Attack directly.

We got off easy considering how good Pikachu is.
But still, man these DLC characters aren't lookin like any slouch

Mykelism

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mykelism
I'd like to point out, if anyone hasn't noticed this yet that pikachu can qac anywhere on the ground on dreamland 64. The one condition is that on the right side, you must QA left and on the left side you must QA right. It's pretty awesome and this is probably Pikachu's best stage now. :)

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Also, not to mention thunder goes through not only the top platform of Dreamland 64, but the bottom two as well. Definitely our best stage. Our only downside is if we miss the cancel on the leftmost or rightmost edge of a platform (which happens often now), the wind could totally screw us over. That's a pretty small downside though, and can be prevented with enough practice.

busken

Smash Ace
I don't think they changed QA to be honest. On the ground, it seems exactly the same. I think the global changes to the ledge is what happened.

Top Bottom