• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

queuing spot dodges/rolls

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
do any of pichu's moves when shffled give you enough time for this? or all of them..etc..just wondering when i will have to aerial and land behind them to avoid shieldgrabs..or if it's possible to just roll or spotdodge..

particularly fair i seem to miss the dodge or roll a lot..so i'm guessing it's either too slow or i'm missing the L- cancel

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you are probably missing the L-cancel. It cancels in 7 frames, which is the same as foxes dair. generally you can grab relatively safely whether they shield or not if you land behind them.

And nair cancels in 6 FYI, fastest Lcanceled attack in the game.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i'm confused...i guess you're answering that yes i can spot dodge or roll after an l-cancelled aerial to avoid the shield grab.

This makes no sense:
generally you can grab relatively safely whether they shield or not if you land behind them.

i'm guessing you mean to say can avoid grabs

anyways, i think there may be another possibility i didn't think of..i don't play pichu much so maybe i'm just missing the shield entirely by just a small amount..the range on the fair is so small:\

also maybe my brother is grabbing me out of the air? he plays marth so he has a good grab range

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yes, you should be able to dodge fine, but I guess what I should have also said was that most of the time it is not a good option since you are giving your opponent time to follow up on that dodge more often than not.

This makes no sense:
generally you can grab relatively safely whether they shield or not if you land behind them.
no I mean after you do a fair you can grab without worrying about being counterattacked if you land behind them. unless they have a strong out of shield move like samus or bowsers UpBs. You'll have to turn around to grab them though.

marth is IMO pichu's worst match up. Mind game, dance around outside of his range and wait for an opening and take it when it's given. You mostly want him above you.

Top Bottom