• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions on the falcon

inn0cuous

Smash Rookie
I don't main captain falcon, but i enjoy playing him for casual friendly matches because of how satisfying, the knee, raptor spike, and killing with a bottom tier character is.

But anyhow, I think captain falcon can land a knee with his ***. I just want someone to clarify if thats true. I've done it a couple of times.

Basically, instead of going for the safer bair like most would normally do if they're on a platform or if you're edgeguarding backwards for the bair or uair, you pull out the knee. I tend to land it easier than normally timing it. And on a lot of those occasions, the hitbox seems to extend behind him around where his *** is.

The hitbox was nowhere near his knee, and instead almost seemed like it was a small area behind him.

Can anyone clarify that? So only use I can find for that is a mindgame of instead of a bair edgeguard which they'll try to airdodge you hit them with the knee and watch in satisfaction as the enemy either gets shot into the stage, or goes flying completely over the stage to the other side/dead.

I was wodnering if the air raptor was safe on shield, cause it bounces you up even if they shield/dodge/roll it I believe. You don't do it at the same level as them, but a good deal above their heads, cause air raptor seems to ahve a large hitbox.

FF knee's off the edge tends to get me a lot of sweetspots, and flubs gets me gimps, but the priority is kinda bad, but its amazingly fun/satisfying to do, so not much useage there.

Would a short hop dair be a decent approach or is that bad as well? I played ganon a bit and he uses the dair stomps which finish in the air so thers no lag, could that tactic be applied to captain falcon as well? Cause after the attack you'd land behind them, so they can't shield grab you.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh good, I was looking for a thread to pose my question on.

To answer you first, the Knee is almost absolutely based on timing, much more than it's based on placement.

Air raptor --> shield --> opponent releases shield --> punishes you as you're falling.

SH D-air is nice when it hits, but Falcon's horizontal range is worse.

--------------------------------------

Okay, my turn.

If you hit a stage "hazard" (balloons, columns on Brinstar/Luigi's Mansion) with a sweetspot knee, and your opponent runs into you while you're in hitlag, will it hit them with a sweetspot?

Roager

Smash Ace
Tenki: Not sure, haven't tested, but my guess would be "no". Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get hit while somebody else was in hitlag. But if it did, that'd be pretty awesome. Not very useful, in general, but a balloon stalled knee would make for one hell of a mindgame. I'll test it if I get the chance, but I probably won't.

Quick question of my own:
How feasible is it to play an offstage-based Falcon? I seem to lean towards doing it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki: Not sure, haven't tested, but my guess would be "no". Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get hit while somebody else was in hitlag. But if it did, that'd be pretty awesome. Not very useful, in general, but a balloon stalled knee would make for one hell of a mindgame. I'll test it if I get the chance, but I probably won't.
I saw a thread on AiB with a really silly idea where someone would use dashdance during opponent's invincibility frames, then land a KoJ towards the end of the invincibility. He'd float inside of them in hitlag, the invincibility would wear off, and he gets a free knee at 0%.

I was wondering if that kind of effect could happen if you pulled it off on a different object/person instead of your original target.

Speaking of which,

holy crap, if you had a Falcon Punch with an extended hitlag just enough to punish getup attacks/spotdodges (Brinstar/Luigi's Mansion)...

Roager

Smash Ace
Well, I guess it has potential, and if it works, Mansion is totally awesome for this. Also for other long hitlags, like Marth's tippers. I think what's likely to happen would be that you'd hit the knee, go through hitlag, and then as soon as the lag's up, the move would hit. I suppose that if that happened to be in the 5 frames of true knee (or however many it is) then it would work. Just think how beastly that'd be. You'd be stuck in midair for... a second and a half. ish.

Mit

Smash Ace
It happens, I've done it. It doesn't hold long enough typically for someone to run into it, but it can change a flub knee into a sweetspotted knee. Happens with Falcon Punch as well. I'm not sure about how often you'd be able to do it intentionally. No tourney stages have areas you can hit like that I don't think, so you'd have to do it in invincibility frames, and that would be quite difficult against a skilled opponent. Me and my friends play a lot of Captain Falcon though, and it happens a lot in FFAs.

On the original topic, I hit one of those butt knees the other day, and yeah, they can be handy. I haven't experimented much with intentionally doing it during normal play though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It happens, I've done it. It doesn't hold long enough typically for someone to run into it, but it can change a flub knee into a sweetspotted knee. Happens with Falcon Punch as well. I'm not sure about how often you'd be able to do it intentionally. No tourney stages have areas you can hit like that I don't think, so you'd have to do it in invincibility frames, and that would be quite difficult against a skilled opponent. Me and my friends play a lot of Captain Falcon though, and it happens a lot in FFAs.

On the original topic, I hit one of those butt knees the other day, and yeah, they can be handy. I haven't experimented much with intentionally doing it during normal play though.
Neutrals:
Smashville- Balloon
Brawl YI - Shy Guys

Counterpicks:
Brinstar - bridge, mucus walls
Luigi's Mansion - columns

these, among others.

---------

just wondering, do 'reverse' sweetspot knees send facing in the direction that you're facing?

I know with a majority of Sonic's aerials, the factor that decides which way an opponent is sent is which half of Sonic the opponent is in when it hits them (so a sweetspot D-air that launches horizontally will send towards Sonic's back if the opponent is behind Sonic, but forward with the same trajectory if the opponent is in front of Sonic)

Mit

Smash Ace
Bah, I never play counterpicks, but I did forget about the balloon and shy guys. I've never gotten one through the balloon (too high, way too situational), but I have with the shy guys (whole lot of them, fly pretty close to the ground).

inn0cuous

Smash Rookie
Neutrals:
Smashville- Balloon
Brawl YI - Shy Guys

Counterpicks:
Brinstar - bridge, mucus walls
Luigi's Mansion - columns

these, among others.

---------

just wondering, do 'reverse' sweetspot knees send facing in the direction that you're facing?

I know with a majority of Sonic's aerials, the factor that decides which way an opponent is sent is which half of Sonic the opponent is in when it hits them (so a sweetspot D-air that launches horizontally will send towards Sonic's back if the opponent is behind Sonic, but forward with the same trajectory if the opponent is in front of Sonic)
Ya, the butt knee shoots the opponent the way the knee is facing. So if you do a knee toward the stage, you'd either stage spike em or you'd knee em across the stage which is extremely satisfying to watch the fly.

The stalled knee seems like a funny idea, but I can't see that being used well to me at all. And ya, I noticed you could knee the balloon a while ago but I saw no usage for that. Interesting though.

Top Bottom