• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

questions from a new lucario main

smasher1206

Smash Rookie
hello everyone. i am a new lucario mainer and i think i am decent but have some problems with some things. one thing is that i can never land a fsmash. i know it is one of his best finishing moves but i always miss with it. so what i want to know is when should i be using fsmash? and also is FP a good move? i dont use it at all so should i add it to my game? also any more tips u think i should know?

thx for any help u can give
LUCARIO=#1!!!!!

Timbers

check me out
FP is like a once in a blue moon thing I use when I'm ****ing desperate to score a kill, since it's really the only grounded killmove Luc has that he can realistically set up into. Hella risky so exercise caution.

Fsmash is hard to land because it's so easy to dodge/shield it. It's slow. Uair, aurasphere, nair, and even dair are better killmoves I think. Your opponent has to **** up bigtime to get hit by fsmash :\ I personally dumb the move down to breaking momentum. It does a good job at forcing the opponent to back off but that's it.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
timbers made some good points. i personally find myself getting a good share of kills with fsmash. its just all about punishing, spacing (too where your opponent thinks he's far enough away since most people think they are), and knowing your opponent and picking up on his play style. but like timbers said AS and up-air are great killers. as far as FP its really just a move to stay away from (along with counter). really i only find myself using FP for its grab since it out ranges his normal grab. just keep playing, you'll get better :)

and welcome to the lucario boards!

smasher1206

Smash Rookie
thx for the help guys!! im tryin to make the transition from a casual player to a competitive player so i need all the help i can get. hopefully with enough practice i will make it there someday.

hopefully i can get videos up soon so i can be critiqued.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
FP is like a once in a blue moon thing I use when I'm ****ing desperate to score a kill, since it's really the only grounded killmove Luc has that he can realistically set up into. Hella risky so exercise caution.

Fsmash is hard to land because it's so easy to dodge/shield it. It's slow. Uair, aurasphere, nair, and even dair are better killmoves I think. Your opponent has to **** up bigtime to get hit by fsmash :\ I personally dumb the move down to breaking momentum. It does a good job at forcing the opponent to back off but that's it.
With all due respect I disagree, but for giving someone advice for getting lucario to the next step from "noobness", this is good advice, don't use FP/fsmash very often, you want to give it to when they really lose momentum or if it's the last thing you have.
Also, aurasphere is a really good one to learn like he said, it will do wonders very often in a matchup (especially in a matchup where they can't outcamp you). Plus, it makes for a nice kill move if used properly.

Oh, and learn 2 "get up in their grill and cook their burgers".

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Well, to address the man's question considering his "situation", I agree to help him form good habits.
However, in the general application of the statement, I do not, there are situations where if you haven't been using fsmash like crazy it comes out and does do its job.
Kapeesh?
And yes, I know we disagree all the time, it's almost sitcom-knee-slapping-funny.
/halfsarcastic.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Also, work on executing Up-tilt.
It's common to not see people new to lucario use it, when in all regards, Up-tilt is a rather good move.
It if means to turn tap jump off, go for it. Just note, it's better to learn the hardway with jump tap on.

And new Avy Phil? I match you with a new sig (selfmade too)
-t2

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
also do not get addicted to rolling. its a bad habit most lucarios have to deal with. if its really hard for you to kick this habit turn of shield. sure youll get massacred but it helps you learn faster.

oh yeah dont get too addicted to dair. either. its awesome but a character with good oos options will kill you.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
@aura
bro you're cool but you say some goofy stuff sometimes, don't tell him to turn off his shield. if you have a problem rolling just make a mental note of it not to use it as much but you'll get utterly ***** if you turn shield off: no rolls, spot dodges, or shield is a bad idea.

as for more moves to work on using more. work up-tilt into your game, its very good for punishing rollers. also work on different jab options. jab>jab>grab, jab>jab>FP and if you can jab>jab>fsmash (it can catch some people sometime)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Also, landing transitions, good for any character with a solid ground + aerial game, but you still want to know what buffers into what, what works on landing, and how to follow DI. Nair for this reason is a good move to learn also.

smasher1206

Smash Rookie
thx for all the replies!! the one thing i know i have to do is roll less.

hopefully i can get some vids on later today

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Buffering essientially means prepping the input for the next move while the previous move is going on, great skill to learn for a string-oriented character. Transitioning is merely the idea of learning how to go from the ground, to the air, to the ground, etc. Learning this will make your ability to accumulate damage much better.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
It's like when playing another fighter when you punch, and during which you input the next move and so on...to continue the combo.

Your not combo'ing here in brawl, but there are set moves that flow with each other that require Buffering to pull off. (SH Fair>Nair>Tilt)
After a while they become second nature, and predictable.
Learn them, but don't rely on them. Sometimes that change in gameplay is all you need to win.
-t2

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
@aura
bro you're cool but you say some goofy stuff sometimes, don't tell him to turn off his shield. if you have a problem rolling just make a mental note of it not to use it as much but you'll get utterly ***** if you turn shield off: no rolls, spot dodges, or shield is a bad idea.

as for more moves to work on using more. work up-tilt into your game, its very good for punishing rollers. also work on different jab options. jab>jab>grab, jab>jab>FP and if you can jab>jab>fsmash (it can catch some people sometime)
goofy? lol i guess so.. but i was just saying that coz thats how i kicked the habit. sorry new guy , erm.. smasher.

Top Bottom