• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Questions? Ask me, I'd love to help.

joelsdaman1

Smash Cadet
NNID
joelsdaman1
3DS FC
4785-6676-7225
Why are you so cute?

Seriously, though, have SH aerial approaches been nerfed as hard as I think they have? It seems like Marth-like characters are forced into dangerous situations without their trusty aerial approaches (and unfair grab range).

Scr7

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scr7ven
What are Sheik's best general kill options? Racking up damage is usually pretty easy, though I can have trouble killing a lot. I usually rely on down throw -> up air, up smash from a hard read, or offstage forward/back airs. Thanks.

Last edited:

geruyop

Smash Rookie
Captain FALCON vs projectile campers? I have a decently hard time getting in and even then when I get in it's difficult to do anything since they can still regularly attack me or just grab me. Link is probably my hardest match up when played campy as well as ness.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
What are your thoughts on Lucario and ZSS, and more specifically what play style do you think works best with them?

Also, is punishing opponent's landings as strong as it seems? I feel like I get a ton of damage off of that, and I'm not sure if it's just the local players & CPUs or if that's just much stronger this time around.

noshadowkick

Smash Rookie
Hi ZeRo, I have a mechanical question for you. What is your physical method for tilting and how did you perfect it? I have a hard time not smashing evertime I try to perform a tilt, and since I mostly play Shulk this is a real problem for me! Thanks!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Do you wait for opponents to attack first? I often got shield by my opponents since my attacks are too predictable. This is mostly due to the lack of C-stick on my 3DS, can you give me some attack tips?
What kind of powers and equippment you recommend for Mario? Let me know too!

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
Hi ZeRo, any advice on how I can preserve my Levin Sword and tomes and time them better with Robin? I always use up my Levin Sword too quickly, because of me miscalculating hits and I find myself rolling around the stage using arcfire (which I end up wasting on failed hits) until my Levin Sword regenerates.

Also, when would it be good timing on using Nosferatu on fast characters like Greninja so I don't end up being open to a f-smash or something to cost me a stock?

Thanks in advance.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about your thoughts on Pit/Dark Pit - I can only assume you tried to use him to some extent since I saw you use him for Project M.

Last edited:

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930
Is it just me, or is it more difficult to execute smash attacks? To me the controls seem off, it's gonna take a while to get used to. I've been having a hard time KOing, especially with Robin.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Robin, but I find him harder to use than other characters. Do you have any tips for a beginner? :)

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
When dealing playing as more defensive or zoning characters, how does one deal with the agile ones? (citing stuff like Sheik, Little Mac, ZSS)

Often times for example, a Mac player will mess up but they are able to throw out a tilt almost immediately with little chance for a punish. I am unsure of how to approach situations where I'm being rushed down while using a character that has few up close or quick punish options :/
It's all about the baiting procedures you manage those situations with. Say, for example, as you put it, they always tilt after making a mistake? Why don't you wait for that one opportunity before striking? Regardless of a character's speed, after a mistake, they have to do something right after, they either lag and you can always punish them, or they try to escape. Some people roll when cornered, others spot dodge (LMac) to not get grabbed and others will throw out a quick attack (Sheik) as you're striking. It's all a bait process, taking a split second pause will give you an advantage.

Fox is very difficult, or it's just me? I cant kill with him. What am i doing wrong? :/
I find getting Ko's with Fox convenient, personally. - He can kill at mid range from dash up smash around 110/120% reliably vs everyone pretty much. When in shielding situations, when facing each other at grab range, throw out an Up Smash. - Why? Remember, grabs have no super armor anymore in Smash 4, if he tries to grab you, he dies. Punishing rolls and air dodges away with up smash is also a powerful option. Up air is also quite good at the same range, and has a ton of priority, making it really good to juggle/finish with.

Oh jeez, I just realized....you're Zero....I watched your stream.....................lol.
Sup! Haha.

Hi ZeRo! Thanks for the inspiration, I want to compete in tournaments too next year!
Sadly, I'm a bit bad at the game lol. Any advice on grabbing? I can't seem to find the right moment to use the grab without getting punished :[.
My mains for Smash 3DS are Sonic, Dark Pit and Robin. I also use Lucario a lot. Would you offer me any advice for combo's?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate that you always respond to people :] Keep it up!
Grabbing is mostly something you can do it out of your shield when people hit it up close, and you can do it on almost any attack. This is why spacing is important, you don't want to get shield grabbed. You can also grab people at high percents when they're shielding (because they don't want to get KO'ed) or when they're cornered (same logic, can't attack, better shield).

Sonic: Side B, connect, jump, Nair/Up air.
Dark Pit: Down Throw into F-Air, or up air juggle strings.
Robin: Side B>F-Air is your BnB.
Lucario: F-Air strings, or dash attack. Mostly, Lucario is solid neutral/fundamentals to stay alive.

No problem haha, enjoy doing it.

Other question, how does one "sweet spot" MegaMan's up air? It feels so...random.[/quote]

Munchy

Smash Rookie
Hey ZeRo, do you have like, any advice regarding Sheik? I'd say I'm great with her (though I'm probably terrible in the grand scheme of things), but after a ton of consecutive wins, I feel like I'm just missing out on some things. The majority of the time I land the bouncing fish, set up the grenades perfectly for spacing/punishing, and I just feel like a beast.

The only thing is no matter how good or bad I'm playing, I still feel somewhat empty, if you get me. Any general advice about how to just feel it constantly?

TSM ZeRo

Thoughts on Pit and Dark Pit?
Pit - Decent juggler, interesting roll cover with side b, good, fast and disjointed attacks overall, not bad! Not enough combos, though.

Dark Pit - SImilar as Pit, though, different angles/knockbacks on certain attacks -fthrow, side b, etc- worse arrows too, can't angle them as much.

Any thoughts on the new Meta Knight yet?
He's still awesome off the stage, but is overall much weaker than in Brawl. You really don't wanna mess around with his spiky f-air/back air though.

Do you have any advice for people hoping to improve at Smash 4?
Overall, watch a ton of tournies, attend tournies if possible, watch tutorials/streams (such as mine's for example) and a ton of for glory mode grind.

Overall opinion on the status of Palutena in the overall roster? She seems extremely precise and easy to punish if you make mistakes while playing as her. Air game seems to be her strongest point outside of usmash.

I still need to convince myself to play her, but I'm having too much fun with RosaLuma atm.
I consider Rosalina among the strongest in the game, so It makes sense to me if you switch. Though, she's a strong character in the air, with fast and strong moves, in the ground she lacks enough speed and potency in her jabs and tilts to make the ground game work. Having a slow grab doesn't help her, though. She's very good vs projectiles thanks to her dash attack's shield and side b. Also her counter must be used efficiently in the ground to use her properly.

Hi ZeRo, I know you weren't the player I was looking for in the other thread, but if you can help me with one of the questions I asked there anyway I'd really appreciate it.

I really have no idea what to do against ZSS as Lucina. It's very hard to approach her, especially if the ZSS player likes to use Neutral B, Side B and Dsmash a lot. What should I be doing against Zero Suit?
Walk shield paralyzer, wait for the dash grab, roll forward. Or even, just wait for the hit to bounce off your shield and insta f-roll, you cover yourself from dash attack/grab, then punish. That's the main thing. For side b, it's an easy shield grab, same with down smash. ZSS loses to shield in general, always watch out for it.

What do you think of meta knight and what are you're top 7 favourite koopalings?
Greatly nerfed, but still incredibly good off stage and a great dash grab.

Hi ZeRo,

Do you think there is room in Smash 4 for close range, offensive playstyles? I find a lot of my wins rely on blocking/dodging and punishing accordingly. I find myself using tap dashes and shorthops to space, while waiting to punish rolls and attack lag. It feels like too much footsy and mindgames and it gets dull after a while. A lot of characters seem to have lots of lag after most attacks and it seems to be that the best characters are going to be ones that can probe and punish safely from a distance.

Are follow ups out of grabs the only true combo potential? Is the metagame going to get dominated by defensive, spacing characters like ZSS and Rosalina, or is there hope for close range characters like Fox to be able to apply pressure?
Other than Sheik, I don't really see otherwise, to be honest. I don't find ZSS to be that good TBH, her grab follow ups fall with proper vectoring, where a char like Fox with great mid range punishes has a better place in the metagame, TBH.

Alright, incredibly quick question about the character I play.

What do you think of Dr. Mario overall? I know he's likely worse than Mario, but do you believe he's still efficient and/or effective? Any tips that I might not know about him yet? Just basic advice, I'd like to get a little better....
Pill spam into a random dash grab is always a great mix up. Up B out of shield is a thing now. So is tornado as an actual attack. His recovery is weak, don't mess around off the stage. His F-Air is weak, finish with up B instead. His F-Smash is awesome, do use it. Down throw into upb is a combo.

Hi! It's nice to have such an experienced and talented player willing to help us out!
I think I speak for many of us who haven't had the chance to play against real people until Smash 4 was released. Do you have any recommendation on how to avoid instincts taken up after so many years of just playing against computers? How is it possible to close the gap between "us" and more experienced players? My lack of expertise has had me attacking randomly and charging Smashes when there was no chance they would hit.
Unfortunately, your lack of experience comes from not knowing situations under correct play. Only way to get through this is with trial and error, plus experience. Fortunely, For Glory mode is a great tool for this. You'll play vs a wide variety of different skilled players looking for a competitive match, there you'll be able to discern by what works and what doesn't, what you should be doing, and form a new battle instinct.

What's your opinion on people saying this game rewards a more defensive playstyle apposed to an aggressive one?
It's a mix of both. Much more aggressive than Brawl, though.

What approaches do you think work best against a Rosalina camping and using Luma to control space?
Block Side B, and then smash luma away, or tilt her, or Pk fire it if you're ness. You have to hit Luma and make her disappear, then Rosalina becomes much easier.

I would like to know general tips about how to play Falco in this game. Approaching methods of this character and some combos or strings that are useful (Im having trouble finding em). Also, I want to know what are the better strategies in general terms of this game. Things like if rolls are now OP or we just use em so much cuz we have little experience, I also see jabs much better now but I dont know all the uses they can get ... :p
Sure! Falco - Up throw into up air if lasers hit, mad good. Down throw into dash attack at low percents. Jab is great for any up close battle for Falco, ESPECIALLY if their shields are weak. Spaced back air is safe on shield.

joelsdaman1

Smash Cadet
NNID
joelsdaman1
3DS FC
4785-6676-7225
What specifically makes this game less campy than Brawl, other than the increased hitstun? Also, do you think the floatiness needs to be dealt with to make the game competitively viable, or will this have a thriving tournament scene?

Basically, predict the future and be a genius for me please :lick:

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Any Sonic or Robin tips? I'm a lucy main trying to get more variety in my gameplay. Also I really feel (:4shulk:) like getting more into the competitive tournament scene, any general advice for that? I'd love to play you sometime :)

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
Is home screening Classic mode on a high difficulty the fastest way to unlock alternate specials? I predict that by doing this it'll take me several weeks to unlock all of them... Has anyone actually gotten every special?

TSM ZeRo

Hey ZeRo, do you have like, any advice regarding Sheik? I'd say I'm great with her (though I'm probably terrible in the grand scheme of things), but after a ton of consecutive wins, I feel like I'm just missing out on some things. The majority of the time I land the bouncing fish, set up the grenades perfectly for spacing/punishing, and I just feel like a beast.

The only thing is no matter how good or bad I'm playing, I still feel somewhat empty, if you get me. Any general advice about how to just feel it constantly?
Hmmm, not sure man, seems you may go beyond the game on this one. Though, Sheik, while a solid char, lacks a guaranteed kill grab to completely do it for me. Personally, focus a ton of grabs. Grabs equals F-Airs, equals stage control, equals winning. Also, when you F-Tilt or combo someone, randomly let them land and punish some funny air dodges or jumps.

How do you go about dealing with little mac and zero suit samus?
Mac: Camp with shield and around the edges, he can barely grab with his slow grab. Focus on getting him off the stage, at all costs. Bait his side b, or punish his up b if he goes low.

ZSS - Shield walking solidly beats her moveset, just don't get grabbed. That's it.

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
I have multiple questions for you.

Wanna be friends?

What do you think of Ganondorf versus Lucario? Using Ganondorf, I find great difficulty in fighting a 100%+ Lucario who keeps me offstage with huge aura spheres. Ganondorf isn't exactly the best at dealing with projectiles, either.

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to avoid on-landing projectiles? Air dodging while landing doesn't seem to work at all unless it's just lag.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
Favorite Color?
Cats or Dogs? What breed?

Ok, back on topic. What are your thoughts on Wii Fit Trainer? i played her a few times and i like her, but her hitboxes seem small (or i'm just bad).

Also, any tips on ZSS? I mained her in brawl and i tried her in this game and i'm not really feeling it (lol). What are her new KO moves? How to rack up damage? I used to rack up damage by using her Side-b in brawl, but it doesn't do the job very well anymore. Also, how do you land down-b? i didn't use it much back in brawl, but i've seen it as a crucial move for zss players now.

woodtrims

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-3521-7175
Zero, how do I wean myself off of:GCU: to jump? I never had this problem with a GC controller, but now with the weird :GCX:/:GCY:placement I can't help but press down on the spot next to :GCX: and frantically up tilt. Pls halp :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
ZSS - Shield walking solidly beats her moveset, just don't get grabbed. That's it.
Does shield walking work so well because she has little/nothing that's safe on block? And as a ZSS player. are there any ways to minimize/get around that (like the new retreating pivot ftilt slide thing, for example)?

TSM ZeRo

Will you be my lover?
depends how cute you are to be honest

Why are you so cute?

Seriously, though, have SH aerial approaches been nerfed as hard as I think they have? It seems like Marth-like characters are forced into dangerous situations without their trusty aerial approaches (and unfair grab range).
Just, cute people find more cute people, ya know

Yeah, there's not really aerial approaches but zoning retreating aerials, say back airs from like zss or falco

What are Sheik's best general kill options? Racking up damage is usually pretty easy, though I can have trouble killing a lot. I usually rely on down throw -> up air, up smash from a hard read, or offstage forward/back airs. Thanks.
Honestly, you have it right, lol. There's no trick. Other than waiting for air dodges to up air, or getting them off the stage, there's not much else. You can sweetspot up smash tall chars, or people on platforms like in battlefield

Captain FALCON vs projectile campers? I have a decently hard time getting in and even then when I get in it's difficult to do anything since they can still regularly attack me or just grab me. Link is probably my hardest match up when played campy as well as ness.
So, shielding and dash grabbing out of it super counters projectiles as Falcon - I think he has the longest and fastest dash grab, he JUST FLIES AT THEM - do that a lot, if you're fast, you can punish almost anything

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
More people seem to read this thread...

Anyway, Is it possible to unlock Stamina mode, and if so, how?

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Zero have you played in any smash 4 tournies yet and if so is there any tournament footage of any of your matches?

2k6

Smash Cadet
Quick question: Thoughts on Olimar? I just saw your vid on Olimar but on a tournament level? (Maining him)

Gicks

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3454-1405-2619
rofl ignore this post messed up

Last edited:

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
What do you think about custom moves so far? Do you like them?
The loads of equipment and custom moves are a little too complex for my tastes, but I still want to collect all of the custom moves and check them out.

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
Going top pick up the game soon, but how does Shulk feel?

Is it true you also have to go ham with Lucina more than Marth?

Any "legal" stages you like or even prefer?

Can I buy a scarf from you? Allergy season here and...yeah.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Any good set ups with Mario for combos? I haven't seen any other Mario online so I haven't learned much other than what I've been able to do personally

ThatEpicMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThatEpicMudkip
3DS FC
4124-5091-3596
Hey ZeRo. I have been trying non-stop to beat Master Core at 9.0. I have tried every combination that people have said worked (Defense Ganondorf, Brawn Yoshi, Brawn Link, etc.) I have memorized most of Master Core's moves, and I can get past Master Hand and Crazy Hand at 0% damage. I am at my last life when I get to his sword form. Then, I always lose. What character and customizations for that character (exact stats) do you suggest I use to beat him? Thanks in advance.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Not directly in-game related, but how do you stream without making your online games lag? Do you use a separate internet connection?

Also. I got Falcon Pawnched, how do I recover mentally and physically?;_; Can I persuade you to pay for the hospital bill? :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom