• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about Hacking.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I would have just posted my questions in one of the many threads, but I'm afraid I'll only get a few answers to questions that could make my life hell.

1. Is hacking the Wii legal? I know most of you will say yes, seeing most of you do it, but I need an honest answer. I, unlike some you, have no way of blocking the government from seeing my computer and knowing what I'm doing, so I can't risk going to Juvy or getting my Wii taken.

2. Has hacking ever caused a Wii to stop working completely? I can't afford to replace it.

Thanks to everyone that helps me!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
1) Hacking your Wii is perfectly legal -- as long as you don't try to put things such as emulators on it.

2) Yes, but from what I've heard it's very rare.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
1. Yes it's completely illegal. The moment you tamper with your Wii in any way, police will come crashing though your door and arrest you. There is no escape.

2. There is a 100% chance. If you so much as think about hacking your Wii, it will terminate itself.... oops too late!

j/k listen to what skylerocon said.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
1. As long as the only homebrew application you use is geckoOS (what is used for loading up hacks on brawl or other games) then it is perfectly legal. As soon as you get into installing .wad files (virtual console titles) is when you start getting into legal trouble.

2. Installing homebrew and loading codes via geckoOS is virtually idiot-proof. For the most part, you aren't going to do anything that might harm your wii beyond a freeze (by using a faulty code), which is as simple to fix as turning the wii off and on again. Certain codes enabling the playing of usually unplayable characters can mess up your My Music on your brawl save file, although if you use one of them you can just use a My Music Reset code to unglitch the stage (or stages) that was affected. I don't think it's possible for a code to make your wii unusable, and although it may be possible for you to destroy your savegame with faulty codes, hackers shouldn't be releasing codes that cause problems like those in the first place. In other words, it's perfectly safe.

Top Bottom