• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
1. How do you fire fox's laser 2x at the same height (at the top of the jump)? Do you just press B really really fast 2x?
2. How do you follow someone through the air closely? Aka. Isai's pikachu etc. I guess the question is do you hold the analog stick or wiggle it or smash it multiple times etc?
3. Why does shine canceling after fox's down-air even work? Isn't landing, z-canceling, short-hopping, and Down-B-ing take longer than it takes for them to put a shield up?
4. How exactly do you up-smash out of a shield? I tried it with pikachu and couldn't get it to work.

Thino

Smash Master
1. press B really really fast. button slide may help
2.Shorthops. if you're talking about that uair combo , just maintain the joystick up and jump with C button
3. Fox's shine is faster than you think
4. maintain Z and press Up + A at the same time

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
1. Fire the first blaster when you begin to slow down (you aren't moving up or down), and then again. You can do this because you fire them at the point where your upward movement and gravity cancel out.
2. I dunno exactly what you're asking. If it's related to how people can get all 7 drill hits of Fox's ada, I don't know because I can't.
3. The shine comes out in 1 frame, making it the fastest possible action in the game.
4. I think if you press C (jump) but then quickly up smash, you'll cancel your jump and smash immediately out of your shield.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"I think if you press C (jump) but then quickly up smash, you'll cancel your jump and smash immediately out of your shield."

Lol. It's even easier-- when you press the "up" for the up-smash, it jumps. Then, you hit A and it cancels the jump into a smash. Just hold down Z and then up-smash, fast, like you normally would.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Thanks guys.

Moose I managed to do the Up-smash out of shield. I was just doing the UP and A at the same time instead of doing UP first.

I was also wondering, to those that use N64 or any type of controller to play, is it just me or does the gameplay feel about 1/10 of a second off? I don't know what it is but it just feels a lot different when I play on the real system versus online. Due to this problem I have trouble precision dashing with Falcon or precision jumping with faster characters. The best way to describe the feeling is that Smash on the real system feels "crisper."

Thino

Smash Master
to be more accurate , its not necessarily 1/10 seconds , that delay in the controls is represented by the ping you have on the server you're playing on. the higher your ping is , the later controls will respond. purposedly you'll choose the sever you have the least ping on if you want to feel the least delay

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Haha, yeah I know about that. But I have 0 ping on Unit X server cause I'm on a school network right next to New York.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
One more thing, taunt canceling is off a little bit too. This is among the most obvious differences because it's such a precision move. When I'm online I have to press L a little earlier before I reach the edge. it's disorienting to the rest of my game. On the system I can do it fine. Again, the system games just feel like they're crisper and faster.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Anyone?

My original question:

"I was also wondering, to those that use N64 or any type of controller to play, is it just me or does the gameplay feel about 1/10 of a second off? I don't know what it is but it just feels a lot different when I play on the real system versus online. Due to this problem I have trouble precision dashing with Falcon or precision jumping with faster characters. The best way to describe the feeling is that Smash on the real system feels "crisper.""

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
**** this really sucks. It's like you're playing a totally different game. Combos don't work because everything is off by just a little bit.

What deadzone do you guys use? Maybe I can set it so the difference is less drastic.

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
Deadzone depends on your controller.Just keep experimenting around.

I use a gamecube controller and Ive been playing around 30-55.Its currently on 55

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
I think I'm using around 25% deadzone right now, but I haven't played online too much recently.

I finally got around to practicing the short-hop double laser with fox. It took me like 2 hours of play to get it down consistently. Unfortunately I can only do it on the system and haven't tried it with the different timing online yet. But I have to say it really is very annoying to an opponent who's trying to get to you and there's a constant stream of lasers covering both air and ground.

One more question though: How are you supposed to do a move the instant after you shorthop? (like pika's up-air, luigi's up-air, fox's b-air) Do you just slide from the bottom c-button to the A button? When I do that I always end up jumping regularly instead of shorthopping.

So I developed a method where I do the DJC method where I slide from right to bottom C and then A, except I'm not using Ness/Yoshi so instead of DJC-ing the character treats it as if I only pressed one of the C-butttons. Using this method I can manage to shorthop and then immediately attack.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Also, how do you hit with fox's up-air only once so you can continue a combo instead of hitting them 2x so they fly up out of reach? I've seen fox end up both above the opponent and under the opponent after such a single-hit up-air.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Update: I figured out the lag problem. It's a Windows Vista issue. Currently no solution that I know of yet.

Top Bottom