• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question:

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently trying to come up with my own style of playing diddy....
And I was wondering if there was a good way of doing so without the constant use of bananas.

@ nanerz & Alpha : your style of play is awesome don't get me wrong.. but it kinda gave me the impression that your really dependent on your bananas.

So I'm not looking for flame or anything but I need to know if a different style of Diddy is a good thing to try and expand on, like mindgames involving more around the diddy hump and the kartwheel attack, with minimal bananas.

Opinions/counterpoints are welcome. Thanks.

General Diddy

Smash Apprentice
Well if you don't wanna use nanerz the next most notable thing about diddy is his spike/dunk/meteor smash ing ability.

also for dealing damage and juggling i find it useful to start a dash but right away up c-stick a u smash, it's basically just hyphen smashing without dashing

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
Well if you don't wanna use nanerz the next most notable thing about diddy is his spike/dunk/meteor smash ing ability.

also for dealing damage and juggling i find it useful to start a dash but right away up c-stick a u smash, it's basically just hyphen smashing without dashing
I made ample use of the dash a u smash combo or dash a u tilt given the fact that they have lower percentages so I can follow up with an Nair or a diddy hump.

I like the fact that diddy CAN play mindgames not only with bananas but also with the diddy hump as well because I can screw around with them using b side and 2ns jump to bair and stuff.

but I still need more opinions. Thanks for your input.

jyuuberu

Smash Journeyman
I think that even though diddy is a very good character in the air and is an ok character on the ground the bananas help his play by pressuring and setting up your opponent for those moves.

IDK

Smash Lord
what? diddy is a mostly ground-based character. his kills against good players start with glide tossed bananas to forward or down smashes or dash attack to fair or bair.

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
I just thought that If your opponents know their way around bananas, what approach could you take against them? like for example made combos with dash a

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
what? diddy is a mostly ground-based character.
Diddy is not a ground-based character. Diddy Kong has some of the best aerial skills in the game. He is more of a balanced character if anything.

I don't really use bananas. I see their uses but never could incorporate them into my gameplay.
Without bananas, don't worry about mindgames. Because of Diddy's combo ability, I just like to keep my opponent in the air. Using his dash attack and going into two Uairs works wonders. Try running up on people and grabbing them. That works well for me against characters like Snake. Rely on his down smash to be your kill move.

denizen

Smash Apprentice
i think if you aren't into bananas i would work on taking the game into the air...like the others said...diddy has an awesome aerial game

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Don't use your shield either. We are pretty dependent on using our shields as well.

Diddy is not a ground-based character. Diddy Kong has some of the best aerial skills in the game. He is more of a balanced character if anything.

I don't really use bananas. I see their uses but never could incorporate them into my gameplay.
Without bananas, don't worry about mindgames. Because of Diddy's combo ability, I just like to keep my opponent in the air. Using his dash attack and going into two Uairs works wonders. Try running up on people and grabbing them. That works well for me against characters like Snake. Rely on his down smash to be your kill move.
Know what out prioritizes aerial attacks most of the time? AIR DODGE.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Why not use bananas? j/c, because I think that is one of Diddy's biggest strengths if you are careful with them.

Samigi

Smash Cadet
I too hate it when I see people relying too much on his nanerz....I love Diddy's aerial game and as such I bair and fair pretty much. I try and spike whenever possible, and its possible to spike at around 30% which is good. I only pull out the nanerz when I'm having a hard time killing my opponent or when I'm trying to regain control of the match. I tend to kill most of the time using Diddy's up tilt.

NicIsNotANinja

Smash Cadet
Yeah, i personally use the bananas very little but i use his sir attacks a lot, esspecially his down air and forwards air. It can take a lot of practice to perfect your timing but its worth it because theres nothing more satisfying than following an opponent past the edge of the map and spiking them into hell xD

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
I don't like using bananas too much either, because it pisses people off I casually play with. I think just try to incorporate more monkey flip, since it has both ground and air capabilities, plus a nice invincibility frame bonus.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The reality is that Diddy doesn't have much without his Bananas. He is a decent character, but decent will only get you so far. Half the approaches, edge-guards and combo set-ups you do should revolve around using a banana.

Its like playing Falco without his laser. Why not use his most applicable tool?

I know you want to be different and all, but the fact is diddy has no outstanding stand-alone moves that make him effective if you try to play without naners. Just use them, it really is the only way.

Top Bottom