• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question: Why tripping?

roces9

Smash Rookie
Hi Smash Boards,

I'm a scrub and a lurker, but I wanted to ask if we know why the devs included tripping in SSBB.

When a friend asked me that same question during a friendly yesterday, I automatically responded, almost without thinking, "Because Sakurai didn't want Brawl to be competitive like Melee." His own statement on the subject doesn't really clear things up well enough, but hopefully Smash Boards will do the trick.

Thank you, that is all.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's actually a joke.

The reason I guess why he added it was because of the focus on air combat. You only trip when you run, so if you are jumping and in the air more, you will never trip. I'm guessing that is why. Oh, and also a reason for walking now. This is all just guessing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He probably thought people would think it was funny when someone is running at you about to kill you and than trips

Ghostbone

Smash Master
To make it more "fair" (he talks about a "mechanism" is one of his interviews that gives the losing player a fighting chance or something) for the casual player.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's actually a joke.

The reason I guess why he added it was because of the focus on air combat. You only trip when you run, so if you are jumping and in the air more, you will never trip. I'm guessing that is why. Oh, and also a reason for walking now. This is all just guessing.
You don't give reasons to be in the air or walk by putting in random tripping. You give pros and cons for any type of mobility, attack, defense, etc. Tripping's not only the easy way out, but it ticks off a lot of people.

<^v>

Smash Rookie
I believe I read somewhere that faster characters tend to trip more often. It is possible that it could have been added partially to fix the balance with slow vs fast characters.

I don't know though, doesn't sound that logical, as slower characters are usually both heavier and stronger.

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You don't give reasons to be in the air or walk by putting in random tripping. You give pros and cons for any type of mobility, attack, defense, etc. Tripping's not only the easy way out, but it ticks off a lot of people.
In his defense, there is no reasonable way to make a reason to walk. Same for jumping. You would have to add something so ridiculous it wouldn't work. Also, it kind of makes sense. If ou run around all the time, you'll probably trip.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
In his defense, there is no reasonable way to make a reason to walk. Same for jumping. You would have to add something so ridiculous it wouldn't work. Also, it kind of makes sense. If ou run around all the time, you'll probably trip.
Umm, walking is still important without tripping...tripping really doesn't make walking any better, almost every player just ignores the chance of tripping and hopes it doesn't happen. It doesn't affect their playstyle at all. You have way more limited options while dashing than while walking.

As for different tripping rates between characters...everyone has a 1% chance, except Luigi, who has a 2% chance per dash.
Popo and Nana have a 1% chance each.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I've heard that Luigi has a 2% chance, but I'm pretty sure that's just a myth.

On my Wii at least, the ratio of time spent using Luigi and amount of times Luigi has prat-falled are similar to all my other characters.

Lmessi24

Smash Rookie
Sakurai added tripping because it's hilarious. In the next smash brothers he's going to make the characters have their pants fall down.

roces9

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the all of the responses SWF.

So the next time someone scrubbier than me asks "Why did they add tripping?", I can just respond

"Because. Just because."

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sakurai added tripping because it's hilarious. In the next smash brothers he's going to make the characters have their pants fall down.
I actually laughed at this, well done. XD

Lmessi24

Smash Rookie
Oh it was nothing. :) I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai added more foolishness to make the game more "realistic", as opposed to making the game more competitive and similar to other fighting games.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Tripping is for humor IMO.

Also, I think it could have been kind of an internal thing. Think about if you're on the animation team, and Sakurai tells you that he wants you to make 20 frames of tripping animation for every character, just so the banana item and Diddy can trigger it. You'll be kind of like "blehh" and cranky about it. If, instead, it is part of every match, which is a small difference when items are on anyway, the animation crew happily works on animations they will get to see showcased in the game.

mentholcase

Smash Cadet
Tripping in mid air..
Funny stuff.

How about a 1% chance of a jab being OHKO and a 1% chance of a fully charged smash attack damaging 0% ?

I can see a lot of ragequits from that.

Oh ! 3 more suggestions !

1) How about a 1% chance that Smash Balls, instead of giving you your final smash, break into nothingness ?

2) What if they made Pokemon Trainer's pokemons increase chance of disobedience if smash attacks were used more often over jabs & tilts (sorta like having pokemon too strong to control). random chance of doing a tilt in the direction of the intended smash (2% default chance), doing nothing at all (1.5%), and going to sleep (1%). these percentages would increase by 0.15% every time you LANDED a smash attack & decrease by 0.20% everytime you LANDED a tilt or jab. cannot decrease by more than default percentage

3) Any & ALL moves that involve a mechanical / technological device have a 1% chance of failure. All the Star Fox guns, reflectors, & final smashes, most of Samus's & Snake's moves, King Dedede's hammer, Olimar's final smash, ALL of ROB's moves (oh my), Diddy's popgun, G&W's jab, trampoline, & umbrella, Peach's umbrella, Sonic's spring, i might be missing a few

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Tripping is in for humor (mostly). Sakurai adds a "joke" he thinks people will hate in each smash game. In Smash 64, it was probably either Jigglypuff or that awful Yoshi's Island stage. :laugh: In Melee, it was Pichu (and other clones). In Brawl, it was tripping.

Another probably and possible reason is because Sakurai couldn't think of how a character would "react" to the nanas that Diddy Kong drops. Think about it: without any tripping (including non-random tripping), Diddy would be seriously nerfed. Sakurai may have liked tripping, and thought to add it in randomly to give a random advantage to the prepared and more originals players.... possibly.

It's always a guessing game with Masahiro Sakurai! :laugh:

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
Huh, mentholcase, I think you did it on purpose, but some of the stuff you said isn't quite a joke. Cue mysterious fanfare.

1) How about a 1% chance that Smash Balls, instead of giving you your final smash, break into nothingness ?
If a stage hazard breaks a ball, nobody will get a FS (not true in some cases). Although, I have at least 2 clips in which a character breaks it, and absolutely nothing came out. In one of those clips, there was even a CAPSULE later in the match that gave nothing when broken.

2) What if they made Pokemon Trainer's pokemons increase chance of disobedience if smash attacks were used more often over jabs & tilts (sorta like having pokemon too strong to control). random chance of doing a tilt in the direction of the intended smash (2% default chance), doing nothing at all (1.5%), and going to sleep (1%). these percentages would increase by 0.15% every time you LANDED a smash attack & decrease by 0.20% everytime you LANDED a tilt or jab. cannot decrease by more than default percentage
Well... If you try to land a smash attack but you didn't smash the analog stick well, you'll just land a tilt attack...

3) Any & ALL moves that involve a mechanical / technological device have a 1% chance of failure. All the Star Fox guns, reflectors, & final smashes, most of Samus's & Snake's moves, King Dedede's hammer, Olimar's final smash, ALL of ROB's moves (oh my), Diddy's popgun, G&W's jab, trampoline, & umbrella, Peach's umbrella, Sonic's spring, i might be missing a few
Did you know... Fox and Falco's lasers were meant to randomly blow up? There are unused animations of them pulling out their blasters, just to look at them being broken. Although the use of those animations is speculation, the animations do exist.

As for why tripping was added, I think it's safe to say it was just for humor. I mean, have any of you actually looked at Mario tripping? Good grief! He smashes his chin on the ground! I can never look at it with a straight face. Although some trips just look stupid and ridiculous... (R.O.B.)
He probably also added it because he didn't figure it'd make much of a difference in gameplay. Almost every time I trip, I just get up, attack (free invulnerable attack!), or roll away. Very seldom will my trip make me open to a strong attack.

mentholcase

Smash Cadet
Huh, mentholcase, I think you did it on purpose, but some of the stuff you said isn't quite a joke. Cue mysterious fanfare.
Lol, you could say I was only half-joking, thinking of other "realistic" ways to screw fighters over, but I had no idea that most of my suggestions already had some truth or consideration during development.

Although, I have at least 2 clips in which a character breaks it, and absolutely nothing came out.
Lol, that's never happened in any of the matches I've played or watched, but crazy that my idea already exists. I believe it, but since you say you have the clips, that makes me wanna see them :p

Espyo said:
Did you know... Fox and Falco's lasers were meant to randomly blow up? There are unused animations of them pulling out their blasters, just to look at them being broken. Although the use of those animations is speculation, the animations do exist.
Oh wow, I seriously did not know that. I believe it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
a 1% chance of a fully charged smash attack damaging 0% ?
You could almost say they had that in Melee. Phantom hits that if hit at the edge of a hitbox would do the damage but no knockback.

Poor Marth.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Tripping is for humor IMO.
Also, I think it could have been kind of an internal thing. Think about if you're on the animation team, and Sakurai tells you that he wants you to make 20 frames of tripping animation for every character, just so the banana item and Diddy can trigger it. You'll be kind of like "blehh" and cranky about it. If, instead, it is part of every match, which is a small difference when items are on anyway, the animation crew happily works on animations they will get to see showcased in the game.
Tripping from dash and tripping on a banana use different animations.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think it was so players that are not as skilled, will have a slightly better chance of winning.

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
Lol, that's never happened in any of the matches I've played or watched, but crazy that my idea already exists. I believe it, but since you say you have the clips, that makes me wanna see them :p
I've been trying to get a capture device for a while to be able to upload such replays, but alas... Well, I'll just upload the replay file and share it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UIAVRGG0
Just put it on your SD card, app, RSBP, rp. At least for the PAL version. So if the video desyncs (unlikely), it's because it's PAL.
According to what I have pointed out, hot spots of the match happen when the timer is at 4:40, 4:00 and 3:45. This is the match with the empty Smash Ball and empty capsule. I could also upload the other "empty Smash Ball" replay I have, but one is enough to demonstrate.

Loz8ichimaru

Smash Apprentice
tripping is just annoying, most time's when it happens to me it makes no difference, but the odd time it allows my opponent to KO me :-|

Fobmescs

Smash Cadet
Tripping may occur sometimes. Only in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Tripping may be a mistake. The character just trips after all.

Top Bottom