• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question of Sonic's Speed

Shark X

Smash Lord
Question to those who played Sonic at E4All. How is Sonic's speed compared to Melee characters? Falco speed? Fox speed? Falcon speed? If Brawl is slower, like it's supposed to be (from what Sakuri claimed a year ago anyway, probably changed his mind since then, I can't tell), then whose speed in melee is he compared to? I just learned recently I can actually control Falco's speed (after years of trying to though), but I still can't handle Fox or Falcon. I'm hoping Sonic's speed is more comparible to Falco, then I could actually be able to play with Sonic. It's pretty much my only hope. Any faster then that, and I won't be able to play as him.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
its kind of hard to explain, but in my opinion (having played him at E for All), he is faster than melee falcon, but definately easier to control.

Shark X

Smash Lord
My problem is, jump attacks. I normally jump and attack as quickly as possible, and with Fox and Falcon, I either jump WAAAAAY too quickly, or attack too late because I've already jumped over the enemy. Will that be a problem for Sonic? Or are you so used to Falcon/Fox, that you can't notice?

maxieman

Smash Ace
from what Ive heard sonic's jump is lacking so you probably wont rise fast enough to miss your opponent with an A move. in other words sonic is probably the best character for people who like fast characters but dont like the high/fast jump

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
My problem is, jump attacks. I normally jump and attack as quickly as possible, and with Fox and Falcon, I either jump WAAAAAY too quickly, or attack too late because I've already jumped over the enemy. Will that be a problem for Sonic? Or are you so used to Falcon/Fox, that you can't notice?
Remember, the jumping in this game is way floatier than melee. so even though Sonic is fast on the ground, that speed doesnt translate too much into the air because he is floaty. and his up b launches him really high...

from what Ive heard sonic's jump is lacking so you probably wont rise fast enough to miss your opponent with an A move. in other words sonic is probably the best character for people who like fast characters but dont like the high/fast jump
QFT

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Remember, the jumping in this game is way floatier than melee. so even though Sonic is fast on the ground, that speed doesnt translate too much into the air because he is floaty. and his up b launches him really high...

QFT
Well, I heard he is one of the less floaty chars.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Yeah I was at e for all and sonic seems to be one of the less floaty characters. His running speed is tremendous meaning you can DD camp really easily and his grabs come up super quick and have nice range.

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
You can probably best answer your question for yourself by watching some of the video's of Sonic in the Sonic Video Thread.

Everyone else has pretty much already nailed Sonic's movement properties. Although he doesn't move nearly as fast horizontally in the air, its not nearly as a big a deal as with the space animals because for Sonic, its not that he moves horribly horizontally like the melee space animals, but simply his ground running speed is so incredible and his air speed is not.

Even if Sonic is one of the faster fallers in Brawl, this fast-falling is nothing compared to brawl. Even Fox now can shoot three laser shots from a single short hop.

I don't understand your problems with the jumping properties. The first problem completely eludes me. Could you clarify it? By quickly do you mean you jump too early, or that you fail to short hop? The second problem seems to be more of an issue of getting the spacing right for your jumps, and again it seems like it would be difficult to miss this if you were short hopping, since you practically don't jump over anyone if you short hop with the space animals. (I just noticed you're also having trouble with Falcon in addition to Falco. Sonic doesn't have Falcon's insane aerial horizontal speed so I don't think he'll have a similar problem. Though I again don't quite see the issue, if you're using any of Captain Falcon's Knee set-ups, I don't think he ever really jumps above where he'd intercept his opponent if you short hop.)

If short hopping is in fact your problem, I don't think you'll have a problem with sonic. I never had a problem at all short hopping with Sonic in the demo, whereas I have to put some concentration in to doing it to do it properly with melee Fox/Falco, leading me to believe that Sonic's window for releasing is greater Fox/Falco's window in melee.

Shark X

Smash Lord
You can probably best answer your question for yourself by watching some of the video's of Sonic in the Sonic Video Thread.
I've seen plenty of videos before I asked. They in no way answered my question.

I don't understand your problems with the jumping properties. The first problem completely eludes me. Could you clarify it? By quickly do you mean you jump too early, or that you fail to short hop? The second problem seems to be more of an issue of getting the spacing right for your jumps, and again it seems like it would be difficult to miss this if you were short hopping, since you practically don't jump over anyone if you short hop with the space animals. (I just noticed you're also having trouble with Falcon in addition to Falco. Sonic doesn't have Falcon's insane aerial horizontal speed so I don't think he'll have a similar problem. Though I again don't quite see the issue, if you're using any of Captain Falcon's Knee set-ups, I don't think he ever really jumps above where he'd intercept his opponent if you short hop.)
I can't come up with another way to describe it. I know, I such as descriptions.

If short hopping is in fact your problem, I don't think you'll have a problem with sonic. I never had a problem at all short hopping with Sonic in the demo, whereas I have to put some concentration in to doing it to do it properly with melee Fox/Falco, leading me to believe that Sonic's window for releasing is greater Fox/Falco's window in melee.
Short hoping is a problem I have with Fox, but I have no problem with Falco. I never tried doing it with Sheik or Falcon.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Short hoping is a problem I have with Fox, but I have no problem with Falco. I never tried doing it with Sheik or Falcon.
Then you are simply not letting go of jump fast enough. You have to let go of the jump command at least 1 frame before the jump actually comes out.

Falco's jump comes out in 8 frames so you have a 7 frame window (a little more than 1/10 of a second.)
Fox's jump comes out in 4 frames so you have a 3 frame window (1/20 of a second)

You just have to let go of the jump button faster.

Dreadful28

Smash Rookie
Sonic is probley not as fast as he is in other games like Sonic DX directors cut
But He is fast in the air(his kick down)but i dont really know about him attacking in the air

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
hes faster then Falcon but doesnt have such let me call it robotic speed where once he starts its so quick u cant barely stop... if that makes since.
His ground game is much MUCH faster then in the air although hes not bad at all in the air

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
hes faster then Falcon but doesnt have such let me call it robotic speed where once he starts its so quick u cant barely stop... if that makes since.
His ground game is much MUCH faster then in the air although hes not bad at all in the air
From what I've read all over these forums this is correct.

Jonkenden

Smash Cadet
You have to see it to get to grips with how fast he is, I think you can get a little taste of his speed on one clip in the sonic video threads. The one where they show how to play with the wii mote I think had them showing sonic running a bit. You can really see the difference between Pit and sonic speed wise.

And sonic with bunny hood, the speed devil within is foaming at the thought.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
if sonic is your favorite character,

then you'll just have to learn to like the adrenaline. :)

ZaeYeL

Smash Cadet
Awesome that sonic is so speedy, I am really hoping for him to be my main when this comes out, always wanted to play a quick character.

rayecho

Smash Ace
sonic is so fast that im going to tech chase people the wrong way each time, and still be able to run back and catch them. toooooo fast, tooooo furious.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Sonic is much slower than what he really is, dispite how fast he is in the game.
True, Sonic could drop a ball in Hyrule Castle, go get a bucket in the mushroom kingdom and catch the ball before it hit the ground with that bucket. But would running from one continent to another in a quarter of a second help him in a fight?

Unless he grabbed someone and used the massive amounts of G-forces to turn their face into a 2-D object. . .

. . .I think I know how Game And Watch came to be now. . .

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Why does he have to do that?

All he has to do is pick up a rock or and throw it at someone while he's running at mach 5.
Or he could just let the Sonic boom kill them.

The more extreme Speed vs Power gets, the more Speed wins.
High speed creats its own power.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
His acceleration wasn't that bad. Especially with his little jump dash.

And in the older Sonic games you could just spin dash and do a short jump afterwards.

And in the really really old games (Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic CD, ect.) Where there was either no spindash or you'd rather just not charge it you could just jump because for some strange reason he accelerates faster in the air (contradictory to brawl.)

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
^^Why does he have to do that?

All he has to do is pick up a rock or and throw it at someone while he's running at mach 5.
Or he could just let the Sonic boom kill them.

The more extreme Speed vs Power gets, the more Speed wins.
High speed creats its own power.
That's very true. Momentum is the biggest source of damage in a shock weapon like an axe, club (or in Sonic's case) cannonball-ish spinning attack. And momentum is weight multiplied by velocity, so if Sonic's moving at top speed, there's probably nothing he can't break through.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
If Sonic would run that fast, he'd be uncontrolable. Remember that nearly every video has n00bs playing in them, or normal people that play the game instead of find out about Sonic's speed.

Sonic's incredibly fast in this game, especially when compared to old games. Mario nearly ran faster than Sonic in the old games. I seriously hated Sonic's acceleration, and also the fact he slows down that much when running up a hill. The dang guy was unable to run up a hill without using spindash/peelout! It just goes to show how fast he is here.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I can't wait to tech chase the hell out of people with Sonic. It's going to be ridiculous. I mean, he is faster than CF is in melee... and his dash dance is better. Sonic probably won't have a true "chain grab" but his ground speed would make tech chasing such a breeze that it would be likely to rack up really high percents and later set up for combos.

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
Is anyone afraid sonic will be TOO good?
Yeah, you can tell I'm not a sonic mainer...
But I want to use him without having him beat the crap out of everyone so easily.
Think of fox! I think at one point (if not all) only him and falco were top tier. Or the tier above that, i'm pretty sure there was a higher tier. I'm not a scientist at these things.
but from what it sounds like, sonic is ABOVE that!!!
I want a good, sensible battle. What's the point of being so good if there's no one to play?
Yeah, other sonics, but...you get my point.
I just want the chars to be more balanced so everyone can have fun.
The only hope is an air-oriented char.

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone afraid sonic will be TOO good?
Yeah, you can tell I'm not a sonic mainer...
But I want to use him without having him beat the crap out of everyone so easily.
Think of fox! I think at one point (if not all) only him and falco were top tier. Or the tier above that, i'm pretty sure there was a higher tier. I'm not a scientist at these things.
but from what it sounds like, sonic is ABOVE that!!!
I want a good, sensible battle. What's the point of being so good if there's no one to play?
Yeah, other sonics, but...you get my point.
I just want the chars to be more balanced so everyone can have fun.
The only hope is an air-oriented char.
Falco and Fox are the top tier because they have incredible properties and attacks (shine, great smashes, laser for falco) in addition to their speed. C.F. who is faster in many regards is only 3rd tier. So no speed isn't everything, and I'm not too worried.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is fast. Thats the end of it. Disregard all the tiers for a moment and realize that matches depend on the player, not the character. It's as simple as that. I assure you, when my friend Jermaine plays as Bowser, it won't matter if you're Frickin' Jesus, he will smash you so hard that Sakurai himself will feel it. Just because Sonic is fast doesn't mean he is unstoppable. Take Falcon for instance: the fastest player on Melee. If you can't use him correctly, you will get crushed. Same goes with strength in Ganon's case. Just remember, the kind of sword you have won't help you defeat a ninja.... lol.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Sonic is fast. Thats the end of it. Disregard all the tiers for a moment and realize that matches depend on the player, not the character. It's as simple as that. I assure you, when my friend Jermaine plays as Bowser, it won't matter if you're Frickin' Jesus, he will smash you so hard that Sakurai himself will feel it. Just because Sonic is fast doesn't mean he is unstoppable. Take Falcon for instance: the fastest player on Melee. If you can't use him correctly, you will get crushed. Same goes with strength in Ganon's case. Just remember, the kind of sword you have won't help you defeat a ninja.... lol.
Unless its named "Falchion" ;)

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Mmm. I do a pretty mean Bowser myself, but Fox is hard to overcome.

BTW, swords are useless against ninjas. They're too **** dodgy fast.

So get yourself some plate armor, chain mail, and a screen-covering battleaxe and go make ninja pie.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
Mmm. I do a pretty mean Bowser myself, but Fox is hard to overcome.

BTW, swords are useless against ninjas. They're too **** dodgy fast.

So get yourself some plate armor, chain mail, and a screen-covering battleaxe and go make ninja pie.
lol. nice. But Fox is no match for Sonic. lol. (If they were to fight in real life..........fictional real life. lol.)

Top Bottom