• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Up - B

Eccupence

Smash Rookie
What point in the Up-B controls your trajectory, and what point controls which way you face? or are they simultaneous?

debaser

Smash Lord
Fiddle around with each character's up-b yourself and you'll get it. Generally though, doing an up-diagonal input on the control stick when you press B will change the way you face. Trajectory is more character dependent. Fox and falco's for example is altered during the charging phase, after the up-b command is inputted. While marth's and roy's are altered at the moment of input. So for them trajectory and the way they face are inputted simultaneously

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Who do you use?

Some characters can control their direction of their Up+B, while others have better control after their Up+B compared to others.

EX: Fox/Falco can control their direction.

Ex2: Falcon has great control in his helpless state, while Marth really cant do much after his Up+B

Bones0

Smash Legend
While marth's and roy's are altered at the moment of input. So for them trajectory and the way they face are inputted simultaneously

Not necessarily true. You can input an up-B with Marth and Roy using directly up on the control stick, but during the beginning frames you are able to change the trajectory by moving the stick to a different angle. You can notice this stuff really easily if you mess around in Training Mode on 1/4th speed.

To OP, I'm pretty sure it's character dependent. I think most character's have at least a couple of frames during which they can input a turnaround to change which direction they're facing, but I also think some characters can't turn around at all. I'm pretty sure Link, Young Link, Bowser, and DK are all incapable of actually changing which direction they're facing, but they can grab the ledge from either direction as long as they are by the ledge before their up-B completely finishes.

Your best bet is to check the character specific forums for the Hitbox and Frame Data thread and look for the up-B animation. Most threads should specify exactly when the up-B ends and how you can grab the ledge during it. Then ofc practice on your own like debaser suggested.

Top Bottom