• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question About Lag, My Connection, And Nintendo's Server

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
So I'm experiencing some pretty unbearable lag while playing online; so much so that I'm reluctant to ever use the Wi-Fi play. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out if the BULK of the problem is my connection, my friends' crappy connections, or Nintendo's crappy server. I did a speed test and it came out as follows:

I don't have anything to compare to so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. My wireless network is secure and the channel is set to 11. My Wii gets the reception at two bars and the icon is green.

Also, I get error code 31550 (something like that) almost daily and it tells me to confirm internet connection on the Wii. I looked it up on Nintendo.com and it says it's a problem with my WPA Personal security. I just unplug the router for a minute and it fixes it, but do you guys know any way that I can make the internet on my Wii CONSISTENT so I won't get this annoying error message? Also, besides bringing the router closer to the Wii, is there any way to strengthen the signal? Does downloading the latest firmware help greatly for speed and reducing lag?

Sorry for the multitude if questions, but a huge thanks to anyone who helps.

Thanks.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
I dunno alot about this since i'm having internet problems too, but yes ive heard around the latest firmware helps. It updates your router to have the most current technology so if its out of date it could affect your connection. I'm not sure about GREATLY improving but it will help some. Also make sure you have no other wireless devices in the area like cordless phones they can be so strong the can cancel out your signal. Also i never see bars on my wii tell me how strong 2 bars is if its weak and your router is close then it could be interferance like I mentioned.

Hope this gives you a few answers and theres also a lag thread someone posted around here that has some other tips like opening ports.

Also if your doing with ANYONE matches and not connecting at all alot of people have that problem and thats nintendos servers likely. I can't do with anyone matches whatsoever. But if the problem is with friend matches its likely something to do with someones connection.

Top Bottom