• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about everyone's local community

Temkin

BUSTER
Alright so ever since smash 4 has come out Omaha has been having some.... issues. I am curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem and how and if they did, fix it.

As many people know, the Midwest isn't that big of a power house compared to the East and West Coast. And even where I live it is pretty small numbers in Omaha. But I am starting up weekly tournaments at a venue that some friends helped me find. And it has been great since then, almost 2 years after I have joined the competitive smash group and it has almost tripled since I first started. Old smashers are coming back to play. New ones are coming to learn the game. And it is starting to look like something will start here.

But we have a huge elephant in the room that has become more clear over time. And personally I can not handle it. A lot of the old smashers are starting to hate on smash 4. Like, a lot. Multiple threads on Facebook group were they will just talk trash about the game. And I try to defend it because I really do like the game, sure it is not melee or project melee but I want the game to grow, but no one takes it seriously. I recently went to Illinois recently and saw how they took the game and played in a 152 man tournament. And it was extremely fun. The game was just not comparable to playing with people who put time into the game and took seriously. Which everyone in Nebraska just instantly puts the Brawl Hammer on it and don't give it a really shot.

So I am in this situation were people are now hating on my weekly tournaments, calling them "unprofessional" and now started a new stream talk show called Pardon the Smash were 4 or 5 people all with the same opinions get together and talk trash about one side of a Idea and no one to back the other side up.

There is really an endless list of how right now, Omaha is trying to kill the local smash community with out even knowing. And I have been faced with this problem because I have been putting so much of my own money and time into this community and it is back firing on me and I can't handle it. Every time I try to talk about something I always end up being labeled the enemy.

I don't know. Maybe I am just the person who is wrong. Can someone help me out please?

centauri_

Smash Rookie
NNID
centauri_SB
Sup midman! I was that Lucario you played in Loser Finals on Friday! I wish I could have went to the Chicago tournament, I was watching the stream and it looked like so much fun.

I'm pretty new to the smash scene in Omaha, but yeah you're right, there is a pretty big divide from what I can already tell on the Facebook page. Seriously, some things that get posted on that page are equivalent to a twitch chat or YouTube comments unfortunately. Some people like Yulai I can understand and respect because even though he doesn't like ssb4, he doesn't bash on it and still supports it (From what I see), but from other people, it's not that mature of a discussion.

If you need help with money I'll try to pitch in once I get my account back up from a PC part buying splurge, that weekly was pretty fun to meet new people. I'll keep supporting it!

EDIT: Btw, I did find my controller :p

Last edited:

Temkin

BUSTER
Oh wow someone else besides GameGennie, Rob and I use Smash boards from Omaha... But right now it is just a pissing match. I don't know if you're on the facebook group but that is what is exactly happening.

Yeah AL told me later that he found it in his coat pocket

Last edited:

centauri_

Smash Rookie
NNID
centauri_SB
Yeah, I rather just go there for tournament information and announcements. Other than that I try and stay away from it, it seems pretty toxic. Like, the maturity level has passed the Marina Trench low. I commend you for taking it head on, but I'm not too good at arguing. I just wanna play some smash.

Temkin

BUSTER
I do too but everyone just have to childish and it is hard when I am trying to plan things you know. Sadly I think I am gonna let the smash group die out or whatever I started. Might stop doing the weeklies if this argument is just gonna keep going. It is gonna depend on the this week's Pardon the Smash. If it upsets me to much. I am done. I will still play I guess, but not in the group.

centauri_

Smash Rookie
NNID
centauri_SB
Aw that's sad. After that there probably will be no ssb4 scene at all in Nebraska. Hmu if your planning on going out of state to a ssb4 tournament, I might just have to come along :p

But back to your original question, I too would like to know the current situation in other states/groups and if it is as severe as here.

Temkin

BUSTER
Well there is that circuit that is coming up that people might go to. Also I am part of the Chicago page and for every game they have a different page.

Datacon9009

Smash Rookie
Aw that's sad. After that there probably will be no ssb4 scene at all in Nebraska. Hmu if your planning on going out of state to a ssb4 tournament, I might just have to come along :p

But back to your original question, I too would like to know the current situation in other states/groups and if it is as severe as here.
Im going to Las Vegas, Nevada later this year to compete at Evo 2015 for SSB4. I have 3 people going with me so thats 4 total so far. You can tag along later this year if you want

Datacon9009

Smash Rookie
SSB4 is fun. I have smash 64, melee, brawl, SSB4 Wii U and 3DS if you guys ever wanna hang out. I dont know anyone in the omaha community yet because i havent attended any of our tournaments

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Sup midman! I was that Lucario you played in Loser Finals on Friday! I wish I could have went to the Chicago tournament, I was watching the stream and it looked like so much fun.

I'm pretty new to the smash scene in Omaha, but yeah you're right, there is a pretty big divide from what I can already tell on the Facebook page. Seriously, some things that get posted on that page are equivalent to a twitch chat or YouTube comments unfortunately. Some people like Yulai I can understand and respect because even though he doesn't like ssb4, he doesn't bash on it and still supports it (From what I see), but from other people, it's not that mature of a discussion.

If you need help with money I'll try to pitch in once I get my account back up from a PC part buying splurge, that weekly was pretty fun to meet new people. I'll keep supporting it!

EDIT: Btw, I did find my controller :p
Yeah, I rather just go there for tournament information and announcements. Other than that I try and stay away from it, it seems pretty toxic. Like, the maturity level has passed the Marina Trench low. I commend you for taking it head on, but I'm not too good at arguing. I just wanna play some smash.
Hello nice to meet you and sorry that you have to read all of that childish behavior. I unfortunately unable to go to the weeklies to enter cause I work and I don't have a car to get to places as desired. If you want a scene you have to work for it and I came from the brawl scene back in the day and Nebraska had a brawl scene before it died cause all of our players had school and other prioritizes to worry about including me. Some other smash scenes have it bad as well and IDK how they deal with it but I'll try to figure out some course of action.

Also can't wait to play you in the future but I only have 3ds version of smash 4 ATM and outside of that I mainly play PM.

Last edited:

centauri_

Smash Rookie
NNID
centauri_SB
Hello nice to meet you and sorry that you have to read all of that childish behavior. I unfortunately unable to go to the weeklies to enter cause I work and I don't have a car to get to places as desired. If you want a scene you have to work for it and I came from the brawl scene back in the day and Nebraska had a brawl scene before it died cause all of our players had school and other prioritizes to worry about including me. Other smash scenes have it bad as well and IDK how they deal with it but I'll try to figure out some course of action.

Also can't wait to play you in the future but I only have 3ds version of smash 4 ATM and outside of that I mainly play PM.
Nice to meet you too! Haha nah it's cool. People have different opinions and I can understand that. Sharing said opinion with others in a mature and fashionable way takes a little more skill, however. But I'm not here to blatantly bash anyone because my poor feelings got hurt, I just wanted to share what I felt and saw as a new person trying to break into the Nebraska smash community.

You're right though, if you want something bad, you gotta do it yourself. I think it would be interesting what we could do if we all collaborated together on something. Granted, I'm still in school and don't have a ton of time to myself, but I would do everything in my power that I could do to help out.

Can't wait to play you in the future, too!

Top Bottom