• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become...Update!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Melee...When I hear that word, many things pop into my head. An 11 year old Gamecube game. A community of gamers potentially on the verge of extinction. Deep, lifelong friendships. A seemingly unbeatable Melee god from Sweden. Good, bad, fun, difficult, sad, happy, but most importantly...

A journey.

It's been a while guys. Not gonna waste any time.

Since my last post, and even before that, I've had a crazy, unbelievable past year. A lot of it was some of the most difficult things I've ever went through in my life, but there were good times too. Most of all, I experienced so much growth as a person and a lot has happened in terms of Melee. To anyone who has been following this thread/my journey, get ready because you know you're in for a ****ton of reading as well as me pouring my heart out like I usually do. And thanks for still reading.

To begin with I want to start with how much I've changed as a person, and how that's affected my ENTIRE Melee journey.

When I first posted about wanting to become the best, I was ready to do anything to become the best Melee player. I became obsessed with the game, and I also wanted to test myself and see if I could make my first real dream in life come true. I had a deep love for the game and was prepared to dedicate myself fully and completely to it.

My motivations were pure, and I look back on that and see a kid who had a ****ed up childhood, moved out of his house and instantly started pursuing a dream he had. I was wild. I was fiery. My emotions were pretty uncontrollable at times, and I'd often rage when I lost.

No matter how much I lost or who I lost to though, I never felt like they deserved to win. While I logically believed in No Johns and followed that philosophy as hard as I could all the time, I would uncontrollably attribute my losses to things like choking in tournaments, bad controllers etc.

It's hard for me to publicly post this online, but I made a commitment to see this journey through to the end, one way or another, and that includes keeping whoever's reading informed of what's going on.

I'm not going to say I was a messed up person, because I wasn't. But, I definitely had a lot of bad qualities in me that needed to be weeded out, even though at the time I wasn't aware I was even like that. I had attention issues, definitely. I guess for some reason I just thought I was special. It was a pretty immature mindset I had and it held me back for so long. I definitely missed out on a lot of friendship opportunities in the Smash community.

I think what happened was, my life was so messed up in terms of family, relationships, money, that I just wanted to put my all into Smash, and run away from the problems. I got too hurt when my girlfriend broke up with me, and my brother's death really had me feeling like I didn't really like life that much anymore. But I was willing to put all of that otherwise spent energy into Smash, since I loved the game. That's why I wanted to become the best in the first place, because I was prepared to get all of my satisfaction in life from Smash. The better I became, the more happy overall I was. It made me really feel like I could do something that I set my mind too, because Smash is HARD for me. It does not come easy at all, in fact I'd say it is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Getting better is like a giant mystery to me, a giant puzzle whose pieces just need to be unveiled, and it's up to YOU to do whatever it takes to figure it out.

I loved it, but not this august, but last august I spent 2 weeks at a friend's house because I was transitioning apartments. I made a commitment to working on my life. My health, my job, relationships with people, getting my license, pimpin out my room, dating girls and a few more.

As a result of my commitment to working as hard as I could at my life, my passion for Melee dimmed way down. I didn't feel NEARLY as strong about the game as I did in the past, and at times I wouldn't think about Melee for months throughout my day.

I'm pretty sure this happened because, as I started improving every area of my life that I wanted to ( And it was unbelievably hard. It's the reason why I had such a struggle this year emotionally and mentally, but I came out better than ever.) I had to focus so hard to be able to do it that I couldn't think about Melee. And as I got results in my life, I needed Melee less and less to feel happy as well.

But this was an important step for me. It was like freeing the chains of "loserdom" if you will, and recovering from my childhood. At least that's the way I see it. I realized that I COULD do sick in life if I tried, and I plan on taking my life to a crazy level someday. Don't know if I'll get there, but I'm gonna try.

So all in all, I became less dependent on Melee, which helped my life but dulled my passion for the game.

But...the flame never went out. The passion I have for this game is unreal, and even at a time when it wasn't important to me at all, I found myself playing nearly everyday. Anywhere from between a half hour to 2 hours usually. I wasn't sitting at home watching videos, I wasn't theorycrafting or brainstorming ways to get better, and I barely even kept up with Smashboards/tournaments.

But I still played. And I got better and better. Much more slowly than I had before definitely, but still very consistently. I made the decision to switch to all Marth to focus whatever time I put into the game on him, so my Marth got much better. I also grew a lot mentally and mindset wise, and I confirmed it at ROM5.

I matured so much as a player. I know I probably have a less than stellar reputation in the community, and I probably had at least a little beef with some players. But my absence from the scene and the shift from Melee as the focus of my life completely changed the way I feel.

Everyone's cool to me now. I think I used to see everyone as competition only, without realizing that if they stomped me out instead of getting butthurt and rationalizing that I'm actually better than them which also caused me massive amount of negative emotions...Now I'm just happy to be able to play with people. All the negative emotions I felt from not being as good as I wanted, and getting beat by a lot of people over and over...they're completely gone.

I no longer get upset about not playing good anymore, and about my controllers not working. I took the time and cultivated a mindset that I thought would be most efficient for performance, and also one for learning. It took a lot of time to grow into it. I had to struggle with emotions a lot as well.

The main philosophy behind the new way I think about the game and play it, is basically to be as in the moment as possible, reacting to everything that you can. To do this, you can't be upset when you get hit, or when you feel like you got gayed, or when you feel like you lost a match to someone who you were better than.

The more negative emotions I allow myself to felt when playing, the more impossible it was to play good. I can't believe it took me so long to learn this.

It's completely changed the game for me. I ALWAYS enjoy playing it now, even when I'm losing really hard. It's because I don't have as much of my identity tied in to the game anymore, and I don't feel worthless when I can't play good. (Think Asuka from Evangelion)

They all affect each other. By not caring about the outcome to the game as much, I don't care about the mistakes I'm making which allows me to absorb more information to learn/information from my opponent.

By being able to absorb more information/play better against my opponent, I then begin to love the game even more. Not a needy, obsessive kind of love like I used to have though.

It's a much more mature appreciation for the game. It's not the end all be all for me anymore, but it is definitely a source of personal strength to me, as you can see from me consistently playing for the past 5 years no matter what.

Going to ROM5 was a milestone for me in my Melee career. I needed the tournament to be able to reflect and analyze where I stand as player, and just how much I improved in every way over the past year.

Turns out, ROM5 was the most enjoyable event for me EVER since I started playing Melee. And although the results don't reflect it (placed higher at Zenith and ROM2) it's definitely the best I've ever played. The most confident I've ever felt, the most clearly I've ever thought.

The journey is continuing. I've learned to juggle life as well as Melee and I feel much better about myself overall. I'm not going to lie, I don't feel the need to have to be the absolute best anymore. I don't need the game like that anymore.

But, I definitely feel like a veteran of the game. Maybe I haven't been to nearly as many tournaments as people, and I definitely don't place nearly as high as other, better players. But everything I've figured out about the game I've done it on my own despite how impossible it seemed to me at the time, and I'm finally starting to break into the level skill wise that I feel happy with. But definitely not satisfied.

As the community slowly thins out, and the weaker players quit and the better more dedicated players continue to get better, I can only fall in one of the two categories, and my passion for the game is just too much combined with my pride to let me fall into the former.

It's been a slow rise, that's for sure. And I definitely get roflstomped still, but there's something in me that wants to prove to myself so bad what I'm capable of in something that I was naturally terrible at.

Although my journey has never really ended, ROM5 definitely brought me back to it with more intensity than I've had in a while.

In addition to that, a kid named Dustin moved in with me for half a year and he pretty much loves the game and wants to get as good as possible. He's naturally extremely smart, and it's an opportunity for BOTH of us.

Being in WNY is tough. It's lonely at the top, and I'm not saying that cuz I think I'm cool. I much rather have been in a region with really really good players who stomped me over and over, because then improving wouldn't have been so much of a mystery to me. I could have done it way easier, and this goes right along with this thread I read on Shoryuken a while ago, talking about what it takes to have a strong high level gaming community.

I've always wanted someone at my level, and Dustin and I are going to train harder than ever together. How good we can get is limitless with the ability to drill with each other, play with each other, run theories by each other, and test EVERYTHING. Everything. He's already getting good extremely fast, and he's definitely one of my closest friends at this point.

For me, it's kinda like a dream come true, and hopefully I can improve at the rate that I want while still getting stronger/faster/more stamina in the gym, get a promotion I've been working towards so hard at my job, possibly even find a girlfriend, who knows. But it's a test to see if I can maintain my life at the level I want to.

How good do I want to be? Don't know. Dustin and I have basically decided to play it by ear. You can definitely plan for the future, and I do that a lot. I love living life, and want to eventually have an amazing life. But I love Melee too much to let it stress me out, and I don't want to set a goal in case something comes up in my life that I have to pursue, because then I will feel like crap about myself for giving up on my Melee dream.

And I never want to feel anything negative about the game when looking back on it years from now.

Instead, I just want to enjoy the challenge, fun, and excitement of continuing to improve. I'll be attempting to take my game to the highest level possible though, and I'm PUMPED to do that. I'm approaching a level where I'm going to need to make a LEAP forwards in skill if I really want to become a somebody in this game.

I also love the idea of Mastery. The idea of mastery with Marth gets me so hype.

Can I do it? I think so. If not, I'll have an insane amount of fun trying though.

At this point, I'm keeping people up to date that have been following the journey and just want to see where it goes. The whole reason I started this was so the public could get a chance to see what it was like for a dedicated Melee player to try to rise to the top and follow it, and that still hasn't changed for those interested.

Thanks for reading, and it will probably be a while before I post again. I'll talk in this thread of course until it goes away, but it could be another year before I post again. If you ever want to talk about Melee, hit me up. My facebook is Jesse Morse and I'll talk about Melee anytime with anyone pretty much.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Bro, that was a great read!

Everything you posted has really touched me. I have desires to become one of the greats at Brawl, and everything you said about how it was tough to balance life, work, relationships, and Melee all at once pretty much all applies to me. I'm having those same issues. I hope one day soon I can figure out a balance between all of those different priorities.

How were you able to balance everything?

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I play this game because dota is too hard.

but heartfelt motivation is cool I guess ;)

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
You and me have the same passion, i like it. You live in West New York? I live around there, add me on Facebook Nico Ryobeat Rodriguez, and maybe we can get some matches going.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Great post Jesse, I always enjoy these posts. Lately I've been feeling like there has been a lack of passion and energy (not just you the whole region). I see now it was just everybody getting there life in order. Still I'd be lying if I said I wont miss the old Jesse(and old community too) a little. Regardless that type of attachment was probably unhealthy so its a good thing that you have gained this new perspective. Either way lets hope for a new, stronger smash scene up here.

ps: working my *** off to give you some real competition! put this new mindset to the test.

gravy

Smash Ace
By the way, I'm Dustin, and I saw someone mentioning playing with us, we'd be willing to play nearly any day, at this point I'm training as hard as I can to improve, anytime I'm not doing school or the gym I can play.

a nub

Smash Ace
Not that I've been in upstate for long but it definitely feels like the region needs its fire reignited. I also have to really bring up my grades after bombing last quarter and set a more productive schedule for myself to prevent it from happening again, but dammit I'll try my hardest to support the smash scene as much as I can as long as I'm not behind in coursework

D

Deleted member

i think your life is boring.

you can do well for yourself, but that's boring.

there's too many cool things to do in 1 life to stay in one place.

i think you should leave and go somewhere else.

and i'm planning on doing the same.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've learned to juggle life as well as Foxes and I feel much better about myself overall.
That is the only thing you should change.

i think your life is boring.

you can do well for yourself, but that's boring.

there's too many cool things to do in 1 life to stay in one place.

i think you should leave and go somewhere else.

and i'm planning on doing the same.
You're... switching to barlw?

Battlecow

Play to Win
unhealthy obsession with melee is more fun to read about than balanced, levelheaded enthusiasm for melee and life together

JUST SAYIN'

Lovage

Smash Hero
i remember when you were stoned and lost your controller and came to dunk's house and didn't play anybody LOL

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'd like to play you.

Anyways good luck, I think sometimes you have to take a break from melee before you really overload yourself, and progress in life so you can be able to come back and have better resources/happiness when advancing in melee. Example: Getting a car/better job so that there is less pressure at home when you are seeking to be the master of melee.

Don't ever give up. I respect that you don't want to be stressed out, and I also approve of living the life. If you still have urges/aspirations to become the best, don't ignore those desires for too long! You know what you truly want to do. Best of luck to you.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I'll reply in detail to everyone later, but Lovage LOL that was like definitely one of the worst feelings ever. I travelled across the country to get stoned and watch people play. Def a pu$$y move lool

You were really nice to me though and made me feel welcome dude, so thanks a lot for that.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
beta forget wny, i'll be at your place 2-3 times a week practicing if you want and i swear we'll get to that next level

when i come back to wny next fall i'm gonna be pissed if i don't start placing top 3. being one of the only motivated people to play in a region with good players who just don't care sucks

unknown522

Some guy
It was great seeing you again at RoM man.

Always a pleasure.

That long doubles training session with you and nintendude was fun.

You've improved quite a bit over the past year man

:phone:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Good seeing you at ROM 5, Jesse. Glad to see you still got passion for the game. Will we be seeing you at NEC 13 or Apex?

D

Deleted member

i'm making him go to apex.

hey silverback, post something.

Top Bottom