• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quantifying Tech Skill

mtrain

Smash Rookie
Is there a formal way to compare tech skill between players? One could watch videos and make a judgement, but i was wondering if a way exists where players could given a score base on their tech skill. Like maybe the number of fox nairs or falco lasers in 60 seconds?

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Tech speed and tech skill are different.

Just because you can do x nairs in a minute doesn't mean you will be able to pull off nasty tech in the middle of a match when it really matters.

So I guess my answer is no, you can't quantify tech skill. You can just relate two people and say who has more.

For the record, though, Silent Wolf is the king of tech skill.

:phone:

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
Tech speed and tech skill are different.

Just because you can do x nairs in a minute doesn't mean you will be able to pull off nasty tech in the middle of a match when it really matters.

So I guess my answer is no, you can't quantify tech skill. You can just relate two people and say who has more.

For the record, though, Silent Wolf is the king of tech skill.

What about Dark (because this is only considering tech skill)?

Blu

Smash Apprentice
There is also the understanding that some actions may be harder to perform than others. This would also be dependent upon which buttons the player decides to use to execute those actions.

My philosophy is don't learn it 'til you need it.

mtrain

Smash Rookie
What about the ability to enter in the correct actions with the correct timing with no decision making?

Bones0

Smash Legend
APM is the only objective way to measure tech skill, but it's not even a good one. There are too many things to consider for there to be an easy way of measuring. Some people are really consistent, some people have bursts with insane speed, some people are really creative, etc.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
how about:

(mean apm) * [ (duration of useful or successful play) / (match duration) ] * ( ELO )

lol :p

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I've been kinda wanting to post this and it KINDA applies here so....

I think something people forget to analyze is the time in which your brain isn't ****ed from getting hit or spacing, to your time you're able to move again and analyze your situation and react. Your ability to process your movements as fast as possible given the situation is most important. Screw the labels of techskill and techspeed, if your brain is too slow to keep up with your fingers then it wont matter when it comes time to choke or succeed in a match. This is why you see some players freeze up and look stupid during matches, their brain just went to mush.

I call it mush brain for short. Sorry if it sounds stupid but its something i came up with playing smash 64 so long on keyboard. Keyboard has great limitations compared to controller so I really had to push myself to achieve great "tech skill".

not apm, but rather, by consistency of ability

no, apm isn't a measure of tech skill. tech skill is defined and measured by how consistently one can perform an action in a given situation, the greater tech skill compared by how much more one can do than another. there really isn't a different way to define it (however, how you practically measure that or qualitatively assess that is open for discussion).

in other words, tech skill is how consistently you can do moves with a character, given the known abilities of a character. for example, if you can shffl nairs with fox 100% of the time on fd by yourself, neat. if you can only pull it off 80% of the time juggling peach across the stage, your tech skill isn't as good as someone who can. but if you and another person can both pull that off 100% of the time, then you have to compare with something quantitatively more difficult (in terms of button pressing speed, timing, and finger movement), like what SW or dark do when shield pressuring with shines jabs and sh'd drills. this also means that, if you can't do the stuff that technical players can, then your success rate is basically 0% for those moves, since you haven't tried or completed them, the moves that you can try being defined as the physical limitations and abilities of the character you're playing.

on the other hand, you don't always have to employ 'tech skill', so it's not always seen - as like with more efficient players. as well, tech skill isn't just attacks, it's also how well someone can space or accurately judge and execute a spacing maneuver, in the moment, and be able to pull it off, consistently (or recover well, like with samus).

therefore, to formally 'quantify it', you could measure percentage of successful attempts one player performs with any given move in any situation. this can be really intricate - or you can just generalize it or qualitatively estimate it by saying 'silentwolf does a lot more things a lot more consistently than most other players: his tech skill is more extensive and proficient than other players,' or 'mang0 has a lot of tech skill, but a lot of it might be seen in more in character control in the technical aspects of baiting and spacing, than in comboes'.

it also differs per character, of course.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
There isn't really a good way to quantify tech skill, and there isn't much of a reason to.

APM is a decent way of measuring input speed, but that depends way too much on character. For example, a scrubby Fox player would have a much higher APM than, say, Mew2king's Marth or probably even Armada's Peach, but no one in their right mind would argue that the scrubby Fox was more technical than Mew2king/Armada.

Another mediocre way you could quantify tech skill would be to count mistakes per minute, but that's just silly.

Top Bottom