• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quality of Life Changes?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
With the addition of multiplayer functionality to the Spirit Board, it seems like the devs are open to tweaking actual aspects of the game in patches more than they were in Smash 4. What are some quality of life changes you'd like to see to the game? You know, ease of use things, or other interface (not balance/overhaul-related) tweaks that would improve the game experience.

I'd like to have a classic sort order option for the character and stage selects, both. I still have trouble quickly finding what I'm looking for on the current screens based on their Smash games of origin, particularly the stages. Being able to sort them by series would be nice for me. Being able to arrange them manually would be neat, but I could see it being a bit of a headache when moving from one person's game/station to another's, like at a tournament.

I'd also love to be able to set hazards on a stage-by-stage basis, but that would require a whole new UI screen, so that seems less likely. Would sure be nice, though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Option to sort stages and fighters by series. Kind of like the music.

Last edited:

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Adding an option to disable holding B to get to previous menu.
Improving overview select music for the stages; 4 songs at a time is too little.
Allowing names to save their preferred alt outfit per fighter (like SSB3DS).
Allowing rule changes on the fly _without_ having to save them and without going back to stage selection everytime.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Allow be to instantly return to the main menu
Save previous fighter picks or add an option to
Make it easier to sort music (like add favorites or something)

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Add Hazard Toggle by stage as an option in rulesets so you can set your individual preferences for each stage once and not have to change the rules for a few of the stages to be how you want them to be.
Option to sort stages and fighters by series. Kind of like the music.
It is still as annoying as ever to find characters I don't play often or any stage for that matter.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Simply have the rule settings be available upon character selection, like it should be. We shouldn't have to backtrack all the way to the start to fix up something small like items/no items, stock or timed, how much stock ect. This is really poor planning. The saved rules should be still their for those that just want to hit the rule setting they do the most.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Simply have the rule settings be available upon character selection, like it should be. We shouldn't have to backtrack all the way to the start to fix up something small like items/no items, stock or timed, how much stock ect. This is really poor planning. The saved rules should be still their for those that just want to hit the rule setting they do the most.
Yes. A default ruleset option would be nice, but adjusting little things is such a pain (especially with the hold B to exit thing). Changing the amount of stocks used to could be done from fighter select. It was quick and easy. Why would they change that?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
1) Hazard switch on the stage select screen. The rules setting can be used as the default, but let me override it if I want to!

2) Remember the god damn stage and fighter selection we used last fight! If we want to change it, we can already effortlessly grab the token with B. Stop making us reselect the same damn things over and over!
Allowing names to save their preferred alt outfit per fighter (like SSB3DS).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1moXJATS2Zs

Arthur97

Smash Master
In all fairness, the stage select token is placed by default to the stage you last played.
I thought it defaulted to random. For that matter, have Smash games ever remembered stage? I'll be honest, that's not as bad to me since I often change stages or just use random.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I thought it defaulted to random. For that matter, have Smash games ever remembered stage? I'll be honest, that's not as bad to me since I often change stages or just use random.
Just tested it to be 100% sure.
The cursor shows the stage you last played.

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
It'd be nice if we could check an arena's detailed rules without having to enter the arena. Sometimes, a rule set looks agreeable at a glance, but then I realize that it has every stage enabled with hazards on or some dumb stuff like that, and it feels like a small waste of time.

But more importantly, I wish we can change characters/lobby music without losing our spot in line. I remember participating in viewer battles on Marss's stream and every time he wanted to change characters while waiting, we'd have to play musical chairs to get him back up front and remember our spots in line. It was a damn nightmare lmfao.

The game should be switching up teammates when playing Quickplay Team Battles. It keeps things fresh and it was a thing back in the For Glory days, so it's exclusion absolutely boggles my mind.

And we should totally be able to fast forward/rewind through replays. I can't ask for that enough lol.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd be happy with more control options. Especially:
  • Turn off stick smash.
  • Allow option to map full hop and short hop separately as opposed to having them as a single jump button.
Provides more alternatives, y'know?

Sparky08

Smash Rookie
The ability to set a short hop to a separate button. I know this is really small but it only bummers me in handheld. And yes i know about a+jump, but it still would be cool to have that option.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
But more importantly, I wish we can change characters/lobby music without losing our spot in line. I remember participating in viewer battles on Marss's stream and every time he wanted to change characters while waiting, we'd have to play musical chairs to get him back up front and remember our spots in line. It was a damn nightmare lmfao.
I thought about posting that but wasn't quite sure how it would be done. If the person in the arena didn't lose their place by choosing a character/stage/etc., they could stall there indefinitely... I guess that wouldn't be a problem with kicking, though, right? So yeah, being able to pick things while keeping your place would be great. I get annoyed when I miss the chance to spectate a match because I was changing my character and have to just sit and wait.

On the topic of streamers, there should be an option to keep the host in the match and only cycle out the other player. Nintendo has to know people are going to stream this game, right?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Make it where you can toggle on and off short-hop aerial tech (where you press jump and attack at same time) in the settings.

This’ll make it to where you can do frame perfect full-hop aerials again.

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
State in the 'Help' menu how to re-stock in a team battle.

When I first started playing, I had no idea how to do it and just thought it happened at random. I never found it in the help menu and eventually looked it up thinking, "DUH".

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
State in the 'Help' menu how to re-stock in a team battle.

When I first started playing, I had no idea how to do it and just thought it happened at random. I never found it in the help menu and eventually looked it up thinking, "DUH".
No no no. I want the kiddos I play with not to know this.

Just joking

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
-Fast Forward/Rewind in videos
-Squad Strike in arenas
-Better sorting options for spirits, replays, and videos. Right now, if I sort by date, for example, it will order them from newest to oldest, but there's no way to sort them by date in the reverse order from oldest to newest. I would like the ability to reverse the order of any sort option.
-In replay details, don't just show which characters were used, give the player names.
-An easier way to back out of a replay than simultaneously pressing LRA+

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Better sorting options for spirits, replays, and videos. Right now, if I sort by date, for example, it will order them from newest to oldest, but there's no way to sort them by date in the reverse order from oldest to newest. I would like the ability to reverse the order of any sort option.
If I remember correctly, you can simply select the same option again and the order will reverse.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
More smaller legal stages and more legal stages in general.

Wait, we already have that... (But for some dumb reason we're not using them)

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
The ability to set a short hop to a separate button. I know this is really small but it only bummers me in handheld. And yes i know about a+jump, but it still would be cool to have that option.
It's not small at all. I would love to bind a short hop button to one of the triggers so I could double-stick easier.
I thought about posting that but wasn't quite sure how it would be done. If the person in the arena didn't lose their place by choosing a character/stage/etc., they could stall there indefinitely... I guess that wouldn't be a problem with kicking, though, right? So yeah, being able to pick things while keeping your place would be great. I get annoyed when I miss the chance to spectate a match because I was changing my character and have to just sit and wait.

On the topic of streamers, there should be an option to keep the host in the match and only cycle out the other player. Nintendo has to know people are going to stream this game, right?
It's easy. If you're not ready within 5 or 10 seconds of your turn coming up, next one in line gets to cut in front of you.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
More smaller legal stages and more legal stages in general.

Wait, we already have that... (But for some dumb reason we're not using them)
I think the philosophy is to keep the number of stages down to reduce complexity. A lot more stages could be legal, but keeping it to 8 or 12 that more or less cover every stage/terrain type keeps it all easier to remember and set up on new stations.

I'm still not sure which side of things I stand on. I like variety, but I do understand why the pool is so small.

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Make it so that when I go back to the main menu from the shop that the menu music doesn't just automatically change to a version of Lifelight, every single time without fail, and force that as the menu music until I decide to reset when I specifically set them all to the lowest possible chance so I don't have to hear it anymore.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
It's easy. If you're not ready within 5 or 10 seconds of your turn coming up, next one in line gets to cut in front of you.
Or change it so you don't even a pick a character before getting in line. Instead the players in the ring pick characters before each match.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I'd be happy with more control options. Especially:
  • Turn off stick smash.
  • Allow option to map full hop and short hop separately as opposed to having them as a single jump button.
Provides more alternatives, y'know?
You can turn off stick smash! I think it forces you to remap it to another command though,

Top Bottom